Naval Operations of Ultramar

Brother Pariah

Considering that Cato also went missing in the warp before the Indomitus Crusade but returned towards the end as he is with Guilliman in Dark Imperium, he might have come out of the warp with the MH lol

No, it's that it's treated as though it's never left the hands of the Ultramarines. Guilliman has been campaigning on it for the entire crusade, which started at earth, which means it was never lost. This throws a major wrench into the works.

No, it's that it's treated as though it's never left the hands of the Ultramarines. Guilliman has been campaigning on it for the entire crusade, which started at earth, which means it was never lost. This throws a major wrench into the works.

Well there is a small gap between Gathering Storm 3 and the official launch of the Indomitus Crusade. Maybe he got it back sometime then? Or when he was mustering his forces for the Indomitus Crusade? I think it should be listed as currently in possession of the Ultramarines since it is Guilliman's flagship in M42 after all.

Edited by Caius Tadius

Maybe Dark Imperium is the "real" thing whilst the Codex/Campaign books are the historical events?

Fairly desperate of me right? :smile.:

Also, it's not quite Cawl that lives on the Maccragge's Honour. :wink:

Edited by Captain Idaho

Maybe Dark Imperium is the "real" thing whilst the Codex/Campaign books are the historical events?

Fairly desperate of me right? :smile.:

Also, it's not quite Cawl that lives on the Maccragge's Honour. :wink:

I mean, it makes perfect sense in canon. The Macragge's Honour was lost during Gathering Storm which was very much before the Indomitus Crusade was launched. There is a significant time gap between the two events where the MH somehow got back.

Wasn't certain I, CATO SICARIUS also lost in that battle? I bet he recaptured it somehow to have suitably grand return entrance seeing he is back in DI too :whistling:

In my headcanon, Cato is forced to disguise himself as a renegade Space Marine while in the warp. He dons the armor of a Red Corsair and fights under the banner of Huron Blackheart, slowly but surely climbing up the ranks and eventually leading a Chaos Space Marine warband.

He then proposes the greatest prize to his followers: the newly captured Macragge's Honour. He and his warband successfully steal the ship and enter into realspace where Cato then betrays his followers and ensures they are all killed to a man so that none may live to tell the tale of his infamous deeds.

Head canon doesn't exist. ;)

Basically, at this point we have no story of:

- when Sicarius was lost 

- when the Macragge's Honour was recovered from the Red Corsairs

According to GSIII, the Macragge's Honour was captured and never retaken. Then, time gap. Then, Indomitus Crusade is launched, and Guilliman is back aboard. Keep in mind, Dark Imperium describes the ship and his armory, and how it was completely untouched. You'd think that given the couple years Guilliman might have been separated from it, everything would have been looted/smashed/broken/lost. However, it's written that once Guilliman was lost in M32, the Ultramarines basically just locked the door and never entered it; everything was exactly as he remembered, though with the slight undercurrent smell of extreme age. That tells me the ship was never in anyone else's hands, because they'd just break down the door and take his cool toys. Having a museum somehow be completely untouched, much less the rest of the ship, just means there's a massive breakdown in the story somewhere. One of the two things never happened.

Also according to both GSIII and DI, Sicarius was never lost or away from the Primarch. *shrug*

Also according to both GSIII and DI, Sicarius was never lost or away from the Primarch. *shrug*

Not according to Codex:SM, they even have temporary captain take over Sicarius in 2nd for a couple of years...

• 3 months later...

Some stuff from Calgar's Fury as I read it:

Rex Aeterna: Strike Cruiser, participated in Operation Fury. 3.21km long (quite short), crew of 20,000, carries 9 Thunderhawks. (Calgar's Fury, 2017, p.27-28, 43)

Thunderhawk Gunships:

Penitent: Assigned to the strike cruiser Rex Aeterna. (Calgar's Fury, 2017, p.51)

Sinbreaker: Assigned to the strike cruiser Rex Aeterna. (Calgar's Fury, 2017, p.58)

Carenus: Assigned to the strike cruiser Rex Aeterna. (Calgar's Fury, 2017, p.58)

Victris: Assigned to the strike cruiser Rex Aeterna. (Calgar's Fury, 2017, p.58)

Galatan Rise: Assigned to the battle barge Octavius. (Calgar's Fury, 2017, p.102)

Axion: Ultramarines Sword-class Frigate. (Calgar's Fury, 2017, p.97)

Minarron: Ultramarines Sword-class Frigate. (Calgar's Fury, 2017, p.97)

Tyrus: Ultramarines Sword-class Frigate. (Calgar's Fury, 2017, p.97)

Rapidan: Ultramarines Sword-class Frigate. (Calgar's Fury, 2017, p.97)

Morcault: Ultramarines Sword-class Frigate. (Calgar's Fury, 2017, p.97)

Data on the Octavius:

- 6.4km long (again, quite short)

- 40,000 crew

- can launch 3 companies simultaneously (this is the only bit that jives with established fluff)

- Calgar's personal BB

Edited by Seahawk

Some stuff from Calgar's Fury as I read it:

Rex Aeterna: Strike Cruiser, participated in Operation Fury. 3.21km long (quite short), crew of 20,000, carries 9 Thunderhawks. (Calgar's Fury, 2017, p.27-28, 43)

Penitent: Assigned to the strike cruiser Rex Aeterna. (Calgar's Fury, 2017, p.51)

The number of Thunderhawks is plausible. Since the Ultramarines have 31 Thunderhawk Gunships and 44 Thunderhawk Transporters (75 total).

Each company has 3 Thunderhawks (as shown in Chapter's Due as well). I imagine Battle Companies each have 6 Thunderhawk Transporters (so 9 total as shown in your source) while the Reserve Companies each have 2 Transporters each. Which makes sense as the Battle Companies have a lot more vehicles to carry.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...