Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

"Ironwing" Armoured Squadrons

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Isiah

Isiah

++ VENATUS EXSECRATUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 12,450 posts
  • Faction: Dark Angels
Originally conceived during the early day of Epic, the Ironwing was a purely armoured formation used by the Dark Angels containing no other units other than tanks with a primary function of destroying Titans and other war machines. It was in effect a third elite 'wing' of the Dark Angels. Other later background states that in fact the Ironwing wasn't a fixed wing at all, but merely any Dark Angels army that didn't include Deathwing and Ravenwing. Since those days this formation has passed into DA lore in that it has disappeared from DA history in all but memory. So now is the time to redress that.

I am looking back to the original armoured wing idea, but keeping it to Squadron level so several could be used together. It is basically a simple revision of the Predator Assassin Squadron datafax.

Inital thoughts:

1-3 "IRONWING" ATTACK SQUADRON Each 50(?) points + models
1 Land Raider or Land Raider Crusader (command tank)
2 Predators (of any weapon configuration allowed from your army's Codex) or Vindicators.

0-3 "IRONWING" SUPPORT SQUADRON Each 50(?) points + models
1 Land Raider , Land Raider Crusader, or Land Raider Helios (command tank)
2 Whirlwinds.

0-1 "IRONWING" INFANTRY SUPPORT SQUADRON Each 50(?) points + models
This unit can only be taken if at least one Attack or Support Squadron is taken
1 Ten-man Tactical Squad with Rhino (command transport)
2 Ten-man Devastator Squads with Rhino Transports.

Strike Force
All vehicles in the Squadron must deploy within 6" of their command vehicle, or, if coming in from reserve, must enter the table within 6" of the point entered by their command vehicle.

Gunnery Solutions Calculated
• Ironwing Squadrons are mission-dependent units. Each Ironwing Squadron is tasked with the destruction of a single entity, war machine or squad, and makes its destruction a priority above all else. Declare an enemy unit before the battle begins to be the squadron's target. The tanks in the squadron may not fire at any other target until their nominated target is destroyed.

• If a Predator or Vindicator in an Ironwing Attack Squadron is within 6? of it's own command tank when they are firing at their nominated target, all failed To-Hit rolls made by the Squadron may be re-rolled, the Vindicators may re-roll all Scatter Dice thrown.

• If a Whirlwind in an Ironwing Support Squadron is within 12? of it's own command tank when they are firing at their nominated target, all Scatter Dice thrown by the squadron may be re-rolled, and all failed To-Hit rolls made by the command tank may be re-rolled.

• If a disembarked Devastator or Tactical Squad is within 12" of it's own command transport when they are firing at their nominated target, all failed to hit rolls made by the squads heavy weapons may be re-rolled.

Edited by Isiah, 22 November 2007 - 08:41 AM.

gallery_4666_1311_36564.jpg

Keeper of the Dark Fortress

Armies: Deathwing and Grey Knights and a cheeky little Inquisitiorial detachment.
(I'd have more if my wife would let me)

Dark Bjoern

Dark Bjoern

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,312 posts
  • Faction: Thagmata Mourndark
You should change the deploying distance from 6" to 12". 6" is a not very much space for tanks.

2016-06-19_08.56.28_zps3jxgevkj.jpg2016-06-19_08.55.04_zpsl7ia3v3f.jpg

Isiah

Isiah

++ VENATUS EXSECRATUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 12,450 posts
6" is per Predator Assassin Squadron upon which I am basing this force. But you have a point. I think I will change the Support Squadron spacing to 12" to allow them more scope to spread out and use cover [now edited]. I like the tight formation of the Attack Squadron.

Cheers
I

Edited by Isiah, 19 November 2007 - 01:15 PM.

Armies: Deathwing and Grey Knights and a cheeky little Inquisitiorial detachment.

Cod

Cod

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 523 posts
I think this datafax is a step in the right direction, looking forward to it being finalised. Also enjoyed reading the thread in the da section about the ironwing formation.

Could another armoured vehicle be a part of this formation, like a vindicator?

Onisuzume

Onisuzume

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,415 posts
  • Faction: Angels of Destruction.
What about a 0-3 mechanized infantry squadron?

I was thinking along the lines of:

0-3 "Ironwing" Infantry Support Squadrons.
1 Ten-men Tactical Squad with Rhino "Command" Transport.
1-2 Ten-men Tactical Squads with Rhino Transports.
1-2 Ten-men Devastator Squads with Rhino Transports.

From what I gathered, it'd still be within the spirit of the "Ironwing".

Edited by Onisuzume, 20 November 2007 - 02:29 PM.

Legio Angelis Tenebrae ex Vastatio: The Angels of Destruction
The heretic shall reap as he has sown - the bitter harvest of vengeance and death!
My Warhammer 40,000 oldschool game music playlist.

Okidus

Okidus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,009 posts
I like the 'ignore crew shaken/stunned' faxes as well, maybe a special rule that allows the command tank and its buddies to use it once per game?
Too similar to Machine Spirit maybe...

Edited by Okidus, 20 November 2007 - 06:04 PM.

Isiah

Isiah

++ VENATUS EXSECRATUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 12,450 posts
Some nice ideas here fellas. I like the armoured Infantry Squadron idea [edited in] althought I have toned it down because I feel this unit should be primarily tank-heavy.

The ignore crew shaken/stunned is neat. Other opinions on this?

Cheers
I

Edited by Isiah, 22 November 2007 - 08:44 AM.

Onisuzume

Onisuzume

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,415 posts

Some nice ideas here fellas. I like the armoured Infantry Squadron idea [edited in] althought I have toned it down because I feel this unit should be primarily tank-heavy.

Sure.
Though by "toning down" I expected to see two tactical squads and a single devastator squad.

The ignore crew shaken/stunned is neat. Other opinions on this?

I think that this would fit the Attack Squadron most.
The heretic shall reap as he has sown - the bitter harvest of vengeance and death!

Isiah

Isiah

++ VENATUS EXSECRATUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 12,450 posts
On the tac/dev issue, in my opinion the devs follow the "spirit" of the Ironwing more than the tacs as thay have the heavier weapons. After all they are an Infantry Support unit, not an Attack unit – that is left to the tanks. I envisage them being equipped with weapons to frighten off enemy armour/troops who might be tempted to attack the tanks. Just my thoughts of course.

Cheers
I

Cod

Cod

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 523 posts
Really like how this datafax is looking, the combination of armour with a mechanized approach works well and I can see myself definitely trying this out.

A small question, not an issue really, but would a razorback as a command choice be suitable too?

Onisuzume

Onisuzume

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,415 posts
Well, the entire squad is supposed to fit in it.
And I don't see ten marines popping out of a razorback.

Though maybe its an idea for an "Ironwing" Infantry (counter?)Attack Squadron.

0-1 "Ironwing" Infantry Attack Squadron. Each 50 points? + models.
Can only be taken if at least two Attack and/or Support Squadrons are taken.

1 Command Razorback with... tactical/veterans?
2 Razorbacks with...

Edited by Onisuzume, 24 November 2007 - 10:23 AM.

AngelPride

AngelPride

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,049 posts
  • Faction: Shadow Dragons
I used this last night.

Its evil.
4000 pts of Ironwing vs Forgeworld Armored company.
We won but there were only a total of 5 vehicles left alive at the end of the battle (2 Raiders and a Worlwind to me vs 2 Basalisks for him)
Angelpride - Grand Master

GabrielStrom

GabrielStrom

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 446 posts
The sheet looks good. A couple of changes I would suggest to make it seem a little fairer from the opponents side:

1) IronWing Support Squadron - alter the Gunnery rule to read "A Whirlwind within 6" of the Support command tank, OR 12" of the Squadron command tank may re-roll..." Allowing for the upgraded comms/ops aboard the Squadron command tank.

2) I would agree that Devastators are more 'in the spirit' of IronWing - similarly a unit of 5 Terminators with Thunder Hammers would do the same job. I think ignoring the Tac squad option, and replacing it with "Veteran Squad and transport providing one member of the squad is carrying Melta-bombs, or the Vortex Grenade." to add that vehicle killing power.

Nice job though - I like it.

Renegade

Renegade

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 657 posts
I would up the cost to 75 + models though due to letting Both Whirlwinds and Devastators gaining access to re-roll . Kiting out an Anti Tank Dev squad with re-rolls would make that unit very powerfull towards the target it has to destroy . Other than that , nice job .

Erdagon Faldan
Dark Angels Commander
Heretic Butt's Kicker :evil:

Onisuzume

Onisuzume

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,415 posts
True, I guess.
Though you'd have to keep in mind that they could be up against titans and the like.

Okidus

Okidus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,009 posts
I think Ironwing needs a Damocles or a similar command tank.

Damocles from IA:Apoc:

Improved Comms
Beacon
Orbital Bombardment

Renegade

Renegade

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 657 posts

Though you'd have to keep in mind that they could be up against titans and the like.

Agreed , but keeping in mind that you must have two Dev Squads in the Infantry Support section , kite them out with LC's , take the Shields down on the Titan with other shooting and then see if the Titan survives 8 re-rollable LC hits ..... Or even better , think of 8 MM's within 12" of the Titan (since the Devs must come with Rhino's , that shouldn't be a problem) . And then I'm not even including the Tac Squad who could be equipped with some nasty AT stuff aswell .

Erdagon Faldan
Dark Angels Commander
Heretic Butt's Kicker :(

Editted it because I didn't even noticed the required Rhino so forgot about the Nasty MM Option .

Edited by Renegade, 23 December 2007 - 03:01 AM.

redbaron998

redbaron998

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,399 posts
  • Faction: Grey Knights
As a posted in the DA forum, this is a Ironwing rules format I have had around for some time, I hope it can be helpful to yall.

Fortius
Grandmaster of the Forge, Maker of Death, Commander of the Iron wing.

150 Points

WS 4 BS 4 S 4 T 4 W 3 I 4 A 3 Ld 10 Sv 2+

Unit Type:
• Infantry

Individual:
• An army can only include one Grandmaster of the Forge

Wargear:
• Frag Grenades
• Krak Grenades
• Bolt Pistol
• Servo Harness
• Axe of the Omniscient Angel
• The Sun of Angelic Wrath
• Armour of the Anvil

Special Rules:
• Fearless
• Independent Character
• Protector of the Machine Spirit
• Commander of the Ironwing

Protector of the Machine Spirit: The Grand Master of the Forge has centuries of experience repairing vehicles and ministering to their Machine Spirit. He has the Blessing of the Omnissiah rule but has a successful repair starting at a result of 4.

Axe of the Omniscient Angel: The traditional weapon of the Master of the Forge gifted to the Dark Angels Chapter long ago by the Techpriests of Mars. It counts as a Master-crafted Power Weapon

The Sun of Angelic Wrath: A weapon crafted by Fortius himself this weapon counts as a Master Crafted Melta Gun

Armor of the Anvil: This armor was crafted by the first of all the Masters of the Dark Angels Forge. It grants Armour save of 2+. In addition to this it incorporates a Crux Terminates granting a 5+ Invulnerable save. This is in honor of the Masters entry into the Inner Circle where no other Techmarines can go.

Commander of the Iron Wing: On Occasion the Dark Angels Chapter may hear of news of an ancient lost artifact of the Adeptus Mechanicus of maybe even an STC. It is the Master of the Forges duty, bound by ancient oaths on behalf of the Dark Angels Chapter, to investigate such news. Thus the Master has at his disposal a swift mounted force of heavy tanks and mounted troops to utilize in such occasions.

Options:
• The Master of the Forge may be accompanied by up to 10 servitors armed with a servo-arm and close combat weapon for +25 points per model. Up to 5 Servitors may replace their servo-arms with a heavy bolter or multi-melta for free, or a plasma cannon for +10 points per model

Ironwing:

Unless otherwise stated all rules and options for the Dark Angels Codex applies to their respective unit choices.

Special Rules:

Techmarines: 1 must be taken for each Vehicle Squadron: Meaning it will be 2 for 2 predator squadrons

Squadrons: The Squadrons must be deployed together and in vehicle cohesion. From that point on they act completely independent.

HQ:

Must take Master of the Forge.

Note: You may use Belial and Sammuel with the list as normal and their list modifications apply. Although their Troop Choices do not count towards the mandatory 2 troop choices

Elites:
Deathwing: In missions of this importance such as a potential STC the Deathwing may be called to serve

Dreadnought

Techmarines: Must be mounted and 1 must be taken for each vehicle squadron (meaning it is 2+ like predators

Troops

Predator Destructor Squadron
• Consists of 1-3 Predator Destructors

Predator Annihilator Squadron
• Consists of 1-3 Predator Annihilators

Potential servitor squads?

F. Attack
These squads must purchase a transport

Mounted Tactical Squads

Mounted Devastator squads

Ravenwing Attack and Support Squads: In missions of this importance the Ravenwing may be called to serve

Heavy Support:

Whirlwind Squadron
• Consists of 1-3 Whirlwinds

Vindicator Squadron
• Consists of 1-3 Vindicators

Land Raider

LRC
2000 Pt GK and 2000 Pt Eldar (Retired)

nurglespuss

nurglespuss

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,881 posts
  • Faction: Chapter 1402
Hi there I've been constructing an IronWing army for modern 40k (under Apocolypse).

But i've taken a different route:

Using bikes, attack bikes, land-speeders, assault marines (also mobile command section and possible scout bikes).

Now their job is still armour related, but their role is to protect imperial armour, rather than actually providing it themselves.

Perhaps you could cater this into your IronWing? Just a thought.

The Datafax is looking very interesting :>
Signature image not compliant with B&C forum rules
[img=http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu240/nurglespuss/CFC.jpg]

[size=4]| Imperial Fists | Snake Lords | Death Guard | Space Wolves | Dark Angels[/size][size=4] | [/size][size=4]Blood Angels[/size]
Quote: Many men say many things. Modeller First, Painter Second, Gamer third, Competitive? Never.

www.angelsofbaal.wordpress.com (my work in progress army blog)

Onisuzume

Onisuzume

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,415 posts
Isn't that what the Infantry Support Squadron is for?

Isiah

Isiah

++ VENATUS EXSECRATUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 12,450 posts
Nice idea nurglespuss but I'd like to keep this lot as tanky as possible in the spirit of the original IW, well as I see it anyway.

Some nice input Okidus the Damocles is a neat idea, but isn't a front line vehicle in the way an LR is, a Prometheus might be a good choice though. I'll dig out my IA2 and check 'em out.

redbaron998, I like your Master of the Forge but he isn't mounted which is a shame (I think we touched on this in the DA forum if I remember correctly). I was also thinking of incorporating a Techmarine to keep this lot going, but again he'd need a transport and things might get too complex so I left it.

Renegade yeah upping the points may be in order, don't want it getting too powerful for the price here and get accused of beardiness eh :lol:?

GabrielStrom I like the suggestions of the proximity of the Squadron Command tank. It's a good bonus for bunching up, whilst offering the balancing possibilities to the enemy of taking the whole lot out with a couple of templates.

Not sure about the Veteran Squad idea though as vets are primarily for assault/counter cc and are maybe a bit too high-ranking for this formation. Plus I can see Vets being used elsewhere in the army other than here. At best, the infantry are here to protect the tanks – I think pure assault roles can be handled very nicely by the Deathwing or the Ravenwing (datafax sheets being discussed elsewhere). Just my thoughts of course, anyone else with ideas on this?

Cheers
I

Edited by Isiah, 13 January 2008 - 01:49 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users