Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Traitors Sacrifice

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Ordo Ouroboros

Ordo Ouroboros

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 23 posts
Traitors Sacrifice

300 points + Models

Requirements:
Kharne the Betrayer or any Lord with Mark of Khorne
six Bikers with mark of Khorne
8 Khorne Beserkers
8 Khorne Beserkers

The traitor's legacy knows very little boundry when it comes to blood sacrifice to the War God of Khorne. By sacrificing his own Khorne Marines, he can bring about great destruction about him. In a whirlwind of the blood and broken bones of his own men he brings about Khornes very own blessing by wiping out all enemies about him. Leaving naught but Kharne standing in a virtual lake of blood and gore. This is a highly risky manuvure and has left many a Chaos Lord dead in it's wake.

Effect: Each unit must be within 6 inches of the Khorne Lord. In order for this to take effect, every unit except the Khorne Lord will be sacrificed. On a succesful role 5 or more, Khorne will be appeased and send down two bombardments on any enemy within 12inches of the Khorne Lord. Scatter dice rules apply. On a role of 4 or less the ritual fails. On a role of 1 the Khorne Lord is also sacrificed and the bombardment strikes directly on the area the Khorne Lord was standing.

Special rules: So effective is this manuvure that in the next turn, all enemy units within 6 inches of the bombardment not fearless must make a leadership test before moving forward. This rule does not effect retreating units.

Tokunator

Tokunator

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 600 posts
Why 6 Bikers? --> I fail to see why these need to be in the formation.

And what does your formation do? You lose 2 full units (about 400 points) to get a 1 in 3 chance to get a bombardment. Not that great in my eyes. Also, which templates does the bombardment use and what's the Strength, AP value ..?
Remember the real fun starts after your baal has lost his weaponry. There are few things more awesome then ramming your baals 18" into another tank.(oooh it sounds dirty )
No, only if it is ramming the other tank in the rear armor is it dirty. Otherwise it is just odd.

'If they are the best warriors of the Ork race, why are they called NOOBS?' (last words of an annoying WoW kid.)

Kirk: 'This is a very dangerous mission. It is very likely that one of us is not coming back. The away-team will consist of me, Mr. Spock. Dr. McCoy .... and Ensign Ricky' Ensign Ricky: 'Oh crap.'

Ordo Ouroboros

Ordo Ouroboros

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 23 posts

Why 6 Bikers? --> I fail to see why these need to be in the formation.

And what does your formation do? You lose 2 full units (about 400 points) to get a 1 in 3 chance to get a bombardment. Not that great in my eyes. Also, which templates does the bombardment use and what's the Strength, AP value ..?

Standard bombardmanet rules

The bikers are used to create "A wirlwind of blood and bone", also they cost enough make a sufficiant sacrifice. There should be no such thing as a free bombardment. If it;s not tat great please give me some idea how to make it worth it. To me the opporunity to remove 60 figures of the board is worht a mere 400 points

Edited by Ordo Ouroboros, 29 November 2007 - 01:35 PM.

Tokunator

Tokunator

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 600 posts
Well, I don't think that you should include a random element in the formation (i.e. the die roll)

I also don't think that even Khârn would kill entire units of his guys while they are close to the enemy. If you read Khârn's background, he killed his own troopers when they fought the Emperor's Children because they refused to get out and fight in the storm. For your formation to work, they have to be close to the enemy, so they would hardly count as refusing to fight. And other Chaos Lord certainly wouldn't kill their own Marines as sacrifices. They are a valuable commodity after all. Kill them after they fail, yes. But not to fuel a ritual.

What you could do, would be to include a couple of Mutant or Traitor units with Icons of Khorne. This would be fluffier (two units of Berserkers can kill 30 odd Mutants quickly enough to count as a ritual) and it would be more likely to happen.

As for the effects of the ritual: You could make it one or two templates centered on a Mutant or Traitor Icon each and remove all Mutants and Traitors from the game after the attack.
Remember the real fun starts after your baal has lost his weaponry. There are few things more awesome then ramming your baals 18" into another tank.(oooh it sounds dirty )
No, only if it is ramming the other tank in the rear armor is it dirty. Otherwise it is just odd.

'If they are the best warriors of the Ork race, why are they called NOOBS?' (last words of an annoying WoW kid.)

Kirk: 'This is a very dangerous mission. It is very likely that one of us is not coming back. The away-team will consist of me, Mr. Spock. Dr. McCoy .... and Ensign Ricky' Ensign Ricky: 'Oh crap.'

Ordo Ouroboros

Ordo Ouroboros

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 23 posts
Hmm, let me get back to you on that I liek your train of thought.

However, I do feel that Kharne would do whatever it takes to kill the enemy, he's nbalanced like that

Cale

Cale

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,078 posts
Honestly, this is just no good--it makes almost no sense, and it doesn't have an effect which is even remotely balanced against the cost. An orbital bombardment stratagem costs about 250 points. Here, you're paying 300 points for it, along with sacrificing, what, 1000 points of models and it only has a 1/3 chance of working?

If you're really looking for a sort of "ritual sacrifice" formation that isn't terrible and makes some amount of sense, how about something like this?

Cost: 100 points +models
Formation:
1+ Chaos Sorcerers
1+ Conscript platoons (as per the Codex: Imperial Guard)
1+ Chaos Space Marine squads

"Strike Force": Each unit in the formation must deploy within 6" of the Sorcerer. If the entire formation is not deployed appropriately at the beginning of the game, each unit in it is moved to Strategic Reserve--all of these units must take to the field on the same turn.

Slaves: The Conscripts are, essentially, slaves to the Sorcerer, and the Chaos Space Marines are there to keep these sacrifices in line until their time has come. At the start of the game, the formation must include at least one Chaos Space Marine model for every full ten Conscript models it includes. Each Chaos Space Marine squads must stay within 12" of a Sorcerer in this formation at all times, and each Conscript squad must stay within 6" of any Chaos Space Marine squad from this formation at all times.

Ritual Sacrifice: Instead of firing any weapons, the Sorcerers in this formation may choose to perform a Ritual Sacrifice. In order to perform a ritual sacrifice, remove any number of Conscripts in this formation from play. Conscripts must be within 6" of a Chaos Space Marine or Sorcerer in this formation in order to be removed from play for a Ritual Sacrifice.

In order to perform a Ritual Sacrifice, all the Sorcerers in this unit must be within 6" of each other sorcerer, and must neither move nor fire a weapon this turn.

Tally up the number of Conscripts removed from play in this way. Roll a D6 and add one for each sorcerer participating in the Ritual Sacrifice. Multiple this number with the number of Conscripts removed for the Sacrifice.

If the total result is equal to or less than twenty, each Sorcerer suffers an immediate Perils of the Warp attack, and no other effect happens. If the total result is greater than twenty, you may place the Apocalyptic Barrage template anywhere on the board (without range or line of sight restrictions). This is resolved as an Apocalyptic Barrage (X) attack with S:8 and Ap:3. The value X is detirmined by the total result, as described on the table below:

0-20: X=0, Each Sorcerer takes a Perils of the Warp attack
21-30: X=2
31-40: X=4
41-50: X=5
51:60: X=6
71+: X=7

I just can't buy a Khornate lord, even Kharne, from running right up next to the enemy and then deciding to kill a huge chunk of his followers for no reason but to have a worse-than-50-50 shot at doing notably less damage than the followers he just sacrificed would have done if he'd left them alone. Not to mention giving up a whole squads worth of resources (points) for the opportunity to make such a fool of himself in public.

Now, evil chaos sorcerers 'conscripting' some human auxilia and then sacrificing them to rain death upon their enemies from a safe distance--that I could buy. ;)
Crusading against people who think they can just ignore the portions of the rules they don't like since before I even read R.O.V's signature!

Whizzer

Whizzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 520 posts
Str 8 Apocolyptic barrage templates placed anywhere on the board is pretty silly, 71 conscripts would cost you something like 350 points, the seven chaos marines is like 130, about the same for a bare bones sorceror, and you are guaranteed 7 templates (any D6x1x71=at least 71) So you basically get to buy 7 no scatter apocolyptic barrage templates at str 8 ap 3 (instant death and no armor save to something like 70% of the units in the game) for 610 points, guaranteed, first turn. Or if you are feeling snarky, buy two sets of 71 conscripts and do it turn 1 AND turn 2, just to make sure the three infantry that survive turn 1 die next turn....

Remove the whole multiplication thing, make the strength and AP strengthen the more sacrifices you make, max the sorcerors at 3, and get one template per sorceror. So something like this:
0-20: Str 5 AP:-, sorceror must take a leadership test, if he fails, he suffers perils of the warp.
21-30: str 6 Ap:6
31-40: str 7 ap 5
41-50: str 8 ap 4
51:60: str 9 ap 3
71+: str 10 ap 2

Also make it only useable once per game per formation as the psychic backlash drains the sorceror(s) to the point where he(they) are unable to attempt it again. Note however that this does not prevent the use of normal psychic powers/force weapons.

On a different note, why are sorcerors preforming rituals of Khorne? Id imagine this would pretty well piss him off and hed probably turn them inside out the second they reached into the Warp to try and use his power....

Cale

Cale

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,078 posts
I think I was pretty definitely suggesting making it a non-Khornate formation. Ritual sacrifice to Khorne just doesn't generate god-spawned holocausts.

For the record, I was suggesting a single template a turn with the number of dice rolled on the template to be detirmined by the multiplication thing. Not seven templates--seven dice on the same template. Just out of curiousity, have you actually read how the Apocalyptic Barrage Template works? You should, if you haven't.

However, you're right that the multiplication is clunky. I'm not sure how I would feel about reducing it to once per game, but if you got one template per sorcerer, that could still be pretty good.

Anyway, I don't think I'm going to put a whole lot of effort or thought into it. The whole thing is a little silly. I was mainly just trying to give the OP some suggestion on a better way to execute a Ritual Sacrifice in Apocalypse.
Crusading against people who think they can just ignore the portions of the rules they don't like since before I even read R.O.V's signature!

Whizzer

Whizzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 520 posts
Nah I havent read the rules for the apocolyptic barrage template, I just assumed it was the pizzaish sized one and worked like an ordinance template.

Cale

Cale

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,078 posts
It just so happens that I just posted an explanation of the Apocalyptic Barrage Template in that thread about Whirlwinds a little ways down the page. In case you're interested, here it is:

The apocalyptic barrage template works like this:

It is constructed of five overlapping 5" templates. These are each denoted separately, and marked with numerals one through six.

The four around the outside are marked one, two, three, and four, while the one in the center is marked five and six.

When you fire a weapon using the Apocalyptic Barrage template, you simply place the template, oriented however you want it to be oriented, over a model in the target unit (that model has to be in range of the gun). The template doesn't scatter, in the traditional sense. Roll one die for each 'shot' the weapon takes. In most weapons the number of dice you roll is denoted by a numeral in parentheses after the phrase "Apocalyptic Barrage."

Anyway, you roll the dice, and each die produces a hit against every model touched by the corresponding circle on the template--you don't roll for partials, you just hit them.

Whizzer

Whizzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 520 posts
Ohhh gotcha, yeah that makes much more sense than my crazed thoughts of 7 pizzas dropping all over the board :yes:

Ordo Ouroboros

Ordo Ouroboros

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 23 posts
New name for attack

Khorne's Pizza Delivery

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users