Codex: Lords of Oblivion Project

Allerka

i'm slowly but surely going through the dex and finding things here and there that i think need modification. don't take this the wrong way... most of it is just comparing costs to the new costs in the 5E C:SM and re-evaluating.

master chaplain walker needs to cost more. the regular chappie is 100 points. walker has WS6, BS5, W3, I5, A4, bike, hit and run for his squad, meltabombs, and a master-crafted crozius....all for 40 points.

i would suggest dropping the master-crafted status of the crozius for a couple reasons:

1) it's weird putting 'master-crafted crozius arcanum' in the list of wargear

2) chaplains get very little benefit from master-crafted weaponry because of the liturgies of hate

so perhaps a cost of about 215 would be more appropriate for the time being - it may need to be higher, but that remains to be seen.

captain tiburin is similary undercost. using the new book to put together a captain with similar stats and equipment, this guy would cost...

+1A = 15, mc lightning claws +1S = 60, artificer armor = 15, stubborn = ?, rites of battle = ?

i would suggest a flat 200 points for him to start with, as well as considering removing rites of battle (no fluff taken into consideration there, entirely balance-related)

Filinus is probably too cheap as well, but he's already past the 200 point mark so is restrictive enough already. i almost want to say that he should cost at least 250, but with the way the new psychic powers are working with the new C:SM, they're almost not worth having access to on the opponent's turn, so that 3 powers per PLAYER turn thing doesn't make him any better.

i didn't notice how many special features that the chosen of allerka had - stubborn, fnp, and ws5 - wow. we need to watch their points cost closely.

master of the forge - should be WS4, should have 'boltgun or boltpistol' (not both) - check for consistency with other characters -

Fair enough. Lesse here...

Master Chaplain Walker - Thinking about it more, his stats are a tad too high. I think I'll drop him to WS 5, A 3, I 4, and remove the MC weapon. A comparable character is Cassius, who gets T6 and a combi-flamer with hellfire rounds for just +25 points. So a bike with Hit and Run for +40 seems fine to me.

Captain Tiburin - I'll raise him to 175. Again, relative to a comparable character, Captain Sicarius, Sicarius has FNP, the ability to inflict instant death, the re-roll of Seize the Initiative, and can give veteran skills to a squad, all for 40 points more. I think 175 is good for what Tiburin can do. Also, I'm keeping Rites of Battle. Like Sicarius, it's representative of his phenomenal leadership abilities, and helps distinguish him from regular Captains.

Filinus - I guess I can up him another 10 points. He's virtually identical to Tigurius, but has artificer armor instead of an MC-ed weapon, and gives Stubborn to all units within 12" instead of Tigurius' special rules.

I think the Chosen are fine at 235. Since they have to be combined with Allerka, the two of them make for a total of 505 points, which obviously isn't very viable in smaller games.

The Master of the Forge is fine at WS 5 (Remember, martial prowess). Same with having both a bolter and bolt pistol.

Master Chaplain Walker - Thinking about it more, his stats are a tad too high. I think I'll drop him to WS 5, A 3, I 4, and remove the MC weapon. A comparable character is Cassius, who gets T6 and a combi-flamer with hellfire rounds for just +25 points. So a bike with Hit and Run for +40 seems fine to me.

Captain Tiburin - I'll raise him to 175. Again, relative to a comparable character, Captain Sicarius, Sicarius has FNP, the ability to inflict instant death, the re-roll of Seize the Initiative, and can give veteran skills to a squad, all for 40 points more. I think 175 is good for what Tiburin can do. Also, I'm keeping Rites of Battle. Like Sicarius, it's representative of his phenomenal leadership abilities, and helps distinguish him from regular Captains.

Filinus - I guess I can up him another 10 points. He's virtually identical to Tigurius, but has artificer armor instead of an MC-ed weapon, and gives Stubborn to all units within 12" instead of Tigurius' special rules.

all just fine by me!

I think the Chosen are fine at 235. Since they have to be combined with Allerka, the two of them make for a total of 505 points, which obviously isn't very viable in smaller games.

true, true... i suppose i can equate them with the 4E version of Calgar with full honor guard.

The Master of the Forge is fine at WS 5 (Remember, martial prowess). Same with having both a bolter and bolt pistol.

k. i guess it is just good for me to hear the reasoning behind these sorts of things (not that you owe it to me by any means), but it helps solidify the intended roles and power levels of these units in my mind. cool.

• 2 weeks later...

still going over the list -

one thing that's really bugged me about the new C:SM is that there are no psychic powers that are usable on the opponent's turn (with the exception of the use of a force weapon).

might i suggest a couple of psychic powers for C:LoO that are usable during the opponent's turn, so there's a point to taking an epistolary:

Usable by the Librarian at the start of a round of close combat, before any attacks are made. Either the Librarian (or the squad he is attached to), can make an Initiative check. If successful, the unit can immediately make a fall-back move. The enemy unit(s) may choose to make a consolidation move.

Usable by the Librarian at the start of a round of close combat and lasts until the end of that phase. For each attack that is made against the Librarian but fails to hit, the Librarian may make a close combat attack with S4 that strikes last. This attack cannot be combined with any special close combat weapons.

Usable by the Librarian at the start of the opponent's turn and lasts until the end of that turn. Each enemy model within 12" suffers -1 BS.

Usable by the Librarian at the start of the opponent's turn and lasts until the end of that turn. If an enemy vehicle begins or ends its move within 12" of the Librarian, it must make a dangerous terrain roll. i'm not sure how to correctly word this, but i think the idea is pretty plain and straightforward

Sorry, been tied up with school and running this debate.

New psychic powers, I'm gonna have to say no. The current selection is fine. Yeah, it'd be nice to have some usable during the opponent's turn, but that might be over-doing it. Plus, all LoO Librarians are automatically Epistolaries (or the equivalent, anyway), plus you can still definitely make use of two powers per turn (e.g. Quickening and force weapon, or Gate of Infinity and a shooting power).

I'll try to update the vehicles when I can, but I've been bogged down with school work, I have to do a full animation (six seconds), a couple texture exercises, and hand-draw a bunch of art, all by the end of this week. Fun times! :lol: