Index Astartes: Iron Snakes

BrotherAtrox

Homegrown rules: In line with the new Codex you'll need a "special" character" something simple reflecting the Chapter Master would be best. Of course you lose Combat Tactics

Combat Shields (replace the bolt pistol - including the sergeant) for 5 points per Marine and the spears are represented by the assumed close combat weapon.

other than that they seemed to act very much like a Codex Chapter.

I had considered Kantor since he gives your units Stubborn and (more importantly) counts your Sternguard as scoring units. This can sort of represent the Notables?

Sicarius lets you give a veteran ability to once Tactical squad, but none of those special rules seem to really shine as examples of the Snakes.

Overall I'm not sure any of the Chapter Tactics rules can really make the army feel like proper Iron Snakes.

• 2 weeks later...
I had considered Kantor since he gives your units Stubborn and (more importantly) counts your Sternguard as scoring units. This can sort of represent the Notables?

Sicarius lets you give a veteran ability to once Tactical squad, but none of those special rules seem to really shine as examples of the Snakes.

Overall I'm not sure any of the Chapter Tactics rules can really make the army feel like proper Iron Snakes.

I think, without creating a custom character, that Kantor best represents the Iron Snakes. His "Hold the Line!" ability can easily represent the Notables being important in a tactical sense.

His Chapter tactics of stubborn I think plays out nicely as the Iron Snakes went up against innumerable Orks and never broke their resolve. If I recall correctly, at one point in BotS it talks about a lone squad being outnumbered in the sea of Orks and holding until the last man. Been awhile since I last read the book so I might be a little off.

The +1 Attack bonus could easily be accounted for by their use of shield and lance in addition to bolters. Admittedly it's only within 12" of Kantor but that's why I am modelling up the squad I plan to attach Kantor to the most often with shields and lances.

The only other person I feel could come close to capturing the feel of the Iron Snakes on the table is probably good old Marneus Calgar. Although I still feel Kantor is much, much better.

I think, without creating a custom character, that Kantor best represents the Iron Snakes. His "Hold the Line!" ability can easily represent the Notables being important in a tactical sense.

His Chapter tactics of stubborn I think plays out nicely as the Iron Snakes went up against innumerable Orks and never broke their resolve. If I recall correctly, at one point in BotS it talks about a lone squad being outnumbered in the sea of Orks and holding until the last man. Been awhile since I last read the book so I might be a little off.

The +1 Attack bonus could easily be accounted for by their use of shield and lance in addition to bolters. Admittedly it's only within 12" of Kantor but that's why I am modelling up the squad I plan to attach Kantor to the most often with shields and lances.

The only other person I feel could come close to capturing the feel of the Iron Snakes on the table is probably good old Marneus Calgar. Although I still feel Kantor is much, much better.

Hmm. Yeah I'm going to have to agree that unless someone were to completely craft home-grown rules, the best way to represent them and stay within the Codex is with Kantor. Very good points all around. So would anyone like to take up the reins here? My knowledge of Iron Snake fluff is exhausted and I'm sure someone has a more consummate than me.

Hmm. Yeah I'm going to have to agree that unless someone were to completely craft home-grown rules, the best way to represent them and stay within the Codex is with Kantor. Very good points all around. So would anyone like to take up the reins here? My knowledge of Iron Snake fluff is exhausted and I'm sure someone has a more consummate than me.

What inparticular are you reffering to? Take up the reigns with what exactly?

What inparticular are you reffering to? Take up the reigns with what exactly?

This article.

I've actually been thinking of making a Chapter Master Seydon SC, but I got no one to play test it against besides the kids at the GW store and that's hardly a source of intelligent feed back now is it?

assuming sternguard really represent notables. I always got the feel from the book that Notables weren't significantly different from the other squads, except for Scipio. They are better in the fact that they get access to the best recruits, but they aren't really vet squads in the traditional space marine sense. Now, that's my opinion, and I would love to read counter points to my perception of what a notable is.

• 1 month later...

assuming sternguard really represent notables. I always got the feel from the book that Notables weren't significantly different from the other squads, except for Scipio. They are better in the fact that they get access to the best recruits, but they aren't really vet squads in the traditional space marine sense. Now, that's my opinion, and I would love to read counter points to my perception of what a notable is.

I agree, I dont think the Notables were really equipped very differently from the non-notables. Brotherhood of the Snakes show that while a codex chapter, the IS operate much more indepedently and often 1 marine or 1 squad must operate independently for extended periods of time. The notables are just the squads that happen to perform really well over a period of time.

That being said Kantor and Sterngaurd dont sounds like a bad idea to represent them, but it does not have to be that way nessacarily.

My Iron Snakes List: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...howtopic=153528

If you really want to represent the Shield wall in the book a option is to an Honor Guard Squad with Relic Blades. The relic blade can represent the weapons and the 2+ save the shields

Edited by redbaron998