The Legion of Taurus - a Chaos Marine army log

firestorm40k

• 2 weeks later...

Call of Chaos V, Month 3, Update 2 - VOW COMPLETE!!!

Well, here we go, finished these Thursday evening, got pics Friday but unfortunately with the Board being down have only just been able to post them here:

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c274/firestorm40k/Legion%20of%20Taurus/CoC_V_Vow_Complete_zps15238586.jpg

Not entirely happy with these - painting them has been a bit of a frustrating slog at times.  I seem to have completely lost my ability to do the eye-lenses on the helmets   Also, I would have liked to have done a better job on the Icon, unfortunately I was pressed for time as I was worried about making the challenge's deadline.  As it is, it'll have to do.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c274/firestorm40k/Legion%20of%20Taurus/CoC_V_Squad_Painted_zps919a7f4c.jpg

I'm more satisfied with the Decimator's paint job, not the least as I painted it in a month - that's practically speed painting for me! :D  I thought about adding some leaking oil streaks but decided I didn't have time, and it look okay as it is.  I'm most pleased with the weathering on the exhausts on the top.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c274/firestorm40k/Legion%20of%20Taurus/Decimator_Painted_Front_zpsc2cc1765.jpg
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c274/firestorm40k/Legion%20of%20Taurus/Decimator_Painted_Left_zpsf66d4d9f.jpg
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c274/firestorm40k/Legion%20of%20Taurus/Decimator_Painted_Top_zps0207806a.jpg

Once again, thanks to Nihm for running this and giving me the motivation to get some more of my backlog for this army painted!

Thanks for looking! B)

I really like what you did with the Decimator. The faceplate already said Greek (well, ok the movie "Gladiator:) and you went and added the horns which makes me think that your Decimator would prefer to stalk prey in a zone mortalis somewhere...

Now, get those guys on the field and saw the horns off of some of those upstart Minotaur chapter loyalists!

Thanks chaps for your kind words! :)

That is a thing of rare beauty. The whole army is an example of everything I love about this hobby. Really can't praise it highly enough.

Thank you very much blush.png It's comments like that which keep me motivated to stick it out and finish off the rest of this army (even though it'll take me months), and that it's worth it even when I set my standards too high. Thanks again! :)

• 11 months later...

if I've not said it already, these are amazing. The unity of this force is outstanding - its rare that you see chaos forces that are DIY have a real feel about them, whereas every john has a DIY loyalist chapter.

• 4 months later...

Apologies Disease, I missed your post!  Thank you for the kind words :)

Well, things are stirring with the Legion of Taurus, I've been painting again ready for a tournament this weekend - I'll post some pics later this week..!

Well, I had posted a couple of updates on Friday but alas they're lost to the tides of the warp following the recent server problems! So here we are again.

I attended a tourney at my local gaming club this weekend, this turned out to be a positive thing for the Legion of Taurus as it got me back to painting them.

To start with, I painted a few standard Marines so I could round out one of the squads I have; these were surprisingly quick and relatively painless to paint, the last time I painted some of these was during the 2012/13's Call of Chaos, and painting 10 under the deadline of the event almost drove me mad. I found that I kept going round in circles with them and wasn't happy with how they turned out. When I came to these though I realised that painting basic 'line' troops doesn't need to be exacting, so long as they're of a standard. I'm happier with these, they'll do for the average Marines in this army:

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c274/firestorm40k/Legion%20of%20Taurus/IMG_20140523_114531_zpsmztlwgw5.jpg

Next, I needed some more objectives, had these a while so it gave me an excuse to paint them:

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c274/firestorm40k/Legion%20of%20Taurus/IMG_20140523_114511_zpsvc0bbkoe.jpg

Here's a 'counts-as' Typhus conversion I painted for the most recent Call of Chaos event, I'd originally planned to sell him along with some of the zombies I'd previously painted (I discovered I could get by with just under 90 as opposed to the 130+ I'd painted! msn-wink.gifbiggrin.png ). This mini grew on me and in the end I decided I couldn't part with him, so I've kept him to lead my zombies. I just repainted the edge of the base to match the rest of my Legion of Taurus.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c274/firestorm40k/Legion%20of%20Taurus/IMG_20140523_114911_zpsnw6lu19s.jpg

I painted up a Heldrake (well, 'Hellstar') for the recent Call of Chaos - I finally got round to completing its base:

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c274/firestorm40k/Legion%20of%20Taurus/IMG_20140523_210324_zpsheucdzfd.jpg

Finally, I decided to field a Daemon Prince this time round - I've had this model since it was released in 2010 (!) so it was about time I got it painted! It's been a bit of a pain getting this painted, the skin tone didn't come out like I thought it would, and I've felt like I've been going round in circles touching up and correcting it to get everything to match. I finally got it finished just in time for the tourney on Friday evening, the night before the event. I managed to grab a quick pic that doesn't quite do the model justice:

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c274/firestorm40k/Legion%20of%20Taurus/IMG_20140523_210413_zpslkiabbfj.jpg

Due to the pic limits I'll post pics from the tourney next, so bear with me...

Well I went to the tournament, and didn't do particularly well gaming wise, having the honour of winning the wooden spoon for coming last! tongue.png

My army itself fared better, I'm pleased to say it picked up another Best Painted Army award, its' third (fourth if you count the runner up it got a couple of years ago).

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c274/firestorm40k/Legion%20of%20Taurus/IMG_20140524_230312_zpsc7o12eg4.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c274/firestorm40k/Legion%20of%20Taurus/IMG_20140524_230355_zpszgbgek98.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c274/firestorm40k/Legion%20of%20Taurus/IMG_20140524_132710_zpso19wizzg.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c274/firestorm40k/Legion%20of%20Taurus/IMG_20140524_230510_zpsiaayndnw.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c274/firestorm40k/Legion%20of%20Taurus/IMG_20140524_230534_zpsqjwqee87.jpg

Here's a better picture of the Daemon Prince:

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c274/firestorm40k/Legion%20of%20Taurus/IMG_20140524_230612_zpsflpwgpgb.jpg

So, I'll be dipping back in to this army in the near future - however, seeing as the new 7th Edition of 40k has been going down like a lead balloon :-/ at our club we've decided to have a go at other games until they can make a better version of the game (I know, we could be waiting many years! tongue.png ). But when I do paint I'll post the results here!

Till then, thanks for looking! smile.png

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks very much, BrotherCaptainArkhan! :)   The Daemon Prince is called Khaine because, basically, I ran a campaign 5 or 6 years ago, Chaos & Allies vs Imperial & Allies, and a friend who plays Space Marines joined the Chaos team.  The Captain of his army was called Khaine, so following the Campaign I incorporated him in to my Legion of Taurus - I made a power armoured version of him first, (which I've still yet to paint!) but as the story of the Legion of Taurus has progressed he ascended to Daemonhood.

If you're interested, here's his backstory, as written for the recent tournament I attended:

It is unknown why Captain Ursaus Khaine turned form the light of the Emperor; nor why just over an entire Company of his fellow Astartes would follow him.  What is known that Khaine fought alongside the Legion of Taurus against the Imperial forces sent to destroy them on Xergev.  Perhaps his spirit was corrupted, or perhaps his ambitions were easily manipulated by the powers of Chaos – but after Xergev Khaine became a prominent leader in the Legion.  During this time the veterans of the Legion were scornful of their new comrade – labelling him Khaine ‘the Traitor’, or Khaine ‘the Liar’.  However the powers of Chaos blessed him for his endeavours – the next time he was seen by Imperial forces was during the assault on the Shadow Stalker’s fortress on Violtonum, and his physical form had begun to alter: he had grown a pair of leathery, daemonic wings, and his fists had grown to razor sharp talons, resembling the Lightning Claws he had wielded as an Astartes Captain.  He spearheaded the attack, leading a host of Jump Pack wearing Raptors, plunging in to the heart of the defenders.

After the raid on Violtonum, Khaine was fully rewarded by the dark powers, and he ascended to daemonhood – taking on the stature and form of a Daemon Prince.  With his new found power Khaine continued to lead the Raptor hosts of the Legion – where those new to the warband (either through choice or selection) would first be allocated, before joining the elite veteran squads in the rest of the warband.  Unbound by the mores and authority of mortals, in battle Khaine would delight in tormenting his prey, using psychic suggestion to manipulate and control his enemies before slaying them with his daemonic talons.

Khaine would continue to plague the Imperial forces which he once fought for until the siege of Odothon Majoris at the end of the Odothese War; ironically, it was to be the Shadow Stalkers that would finally slay Khaine and have their vengeance.  Although the Daemon Prince swooped form the skies, harrying the defending Astartes and plucking them from the walls of the Hive City’s defences, the Shadow Stalkers focussed their disciplined volleys of Bolter fire upon their fallen former-brother.  His wings shredded by hundreds of Bolt rounds, Khaine crashed to the ground, where his physical form was torn asunder by the continuing hail of Bolter fire.  Of his daemonic essence it cannot be said, but the ruined remains of Khaine the Traitor were destroyed that day, and he would no longer be a stain on the Chapter’s honour.

@ Darth Mustard - thanks, although they're not Slaaneshi orientated, so I guess they're more just plain horned than horny! :P  Sorry...

Thanks very much Lord Angrypants! :) To be honest the only thing I added for the current Chaos Codex are the Heldrake and the Decimator, which I use as a Forge Fiend. When it cones to this army I have a number of units to finish painting - Marines, Chosen, Terminators, Bikes, Raptors, a Land Raider and a Rhino. At the rate I paint, it'll be another 5 years before they're done!

But aside from those, to be honest that's it, I'm not likely to add anything else to this army. Maybe a Sorceror - but don't hold your breath for that! ;)

Thanks very much, BrotherCaptainArkhan! smile.png The Daemon Prince is called Khaine because, basically, I ran a campaign 5 or 6 years ago, Chaos & Allies vs Imperial & Allies, and a friend who plays Space Marines joined the Chaos team. The Captain of his army was called Khaine, so following the Campaign I incorporated him in to my Legion of Taurus - I made a power armoured version of him first, (which I've still yet to paint!) but as the story of the Legion of Taurus has progressed he ascended to Daemonhood.

If you're interested, here's his backstory, as written for the recent tournament I attended:

It is unknown why Captain Ursaus Khaine turned form the light of the Emperor; nor why just over an entire Company of his fellow Astartes would follow him. What is known that Khaine fought alongside the Legion of Taurus against the Imperial forces sent to destroy them on Xergev. Perhaps his spirit was corrupted, or perhaps his ambitions were easily manipulated by the powers of Chaos – but after Xergev Khaine became a prominent leader in the Legion. During this time the veterans of the Legion were scornful of their new comrade – labelling him Khaine ‘the Traitor’, or Khaine ‘the Liar’. However the powers of Chaos blessed him for his endeavours – the next time he was seen by Imperial forces was during the assault on the Shadow Stalker’s fortress on Violtonum, and his physical form had begun to alter: he had grown a pair of leathery, daemonic wings, and his fists had grown to razor sharp talons, resembling the Lightning Claws he had wielded as an Astartes Captain. He spearheaded the attack, leading a host of Jump Pack wearing Raptors, plunging in to the heart of the defenders.

After the raid on Violtonum, Khaine was fully rewarded by the dark powers, and he ascended to daemonhood – taking on the stature and form of a Daemon Prince. With his new found power Khaine continued to lead the Raptor hosts of the Legion – where those new to the warband (either through choice or selection) would first be allocated, before joining the elite veteran squads in the rest of the warband. Unbound by the mores and authority of mortals, in battle Khaine would delight in tormenting his prey, using psychic suggestion to manipulate and control his enemies before slaying them with his daemonic talons.

Khaine would continue to plague the Imperial forces which he once fought for until the siege of Odothon Majoris at the end of the Odothese War; ironically, it was to be the Shadow Stalkers that would finally slay Khaine and have their vengeance. Although the Daemon Prince swooped form the skies, harrying the defending Astartes and plucking them from the walls of the Hive City’s defences, the Shadow Stalkers focussed their disciplined volleys of Bolter fire upon their fallen former-brother. His wings shredded by hundreds of Bolt rounds, Khaine crashed to the ground, where his physical form was torn asunder by the continuing hail of Bolter fire. Of his daemonic essence it cannot be said, but the ruined remains of Khaine the Traitor were destroyed that day, and he would no longer be a stain on the Chapter’s honour.

@ Darth Mustard - thanks, although they're not Slaaneshi orientated, so I guess they're more just plain horned than horny! tongue.png Sorry...

Interesting. I asked mainly because Khaine is, as I'm sure you know, the Eldar god of war msn-wink.gif Just wondered if there was a connection there.

Keep up the good work. Would love to play against this army.

Interesting. I asked mainly because Khaine is, as I'm sure you know, the Eldar god of war msn-wink.gif Just wondered if there was a connection there.

That's Kaela Mensha Khaine, not to be confused with Ursaus Khaine or Ciaphas Cain. Maybe use a different spelling though. How about Khayyin?

...not to mention a Vampire from some old video game... ;)

Honestly, the only reason he's called Khaine at all is because that's what my friend called the Captain in his loyalist Marine army. Seeing as he allied with Chaos I had him join my army after the campaign. It was a nod to my friend that I kept the name :)

...not to mention a Vampire from some old video game... pen and paper RPG msn-wink.gif

I fixed that for you msn-wink.gif

Now if you painted his transport yellow, you would have a nice nod to the old video game.tongue.png

Archived