Codex Auxilia: The Guide to the Human Soldiers of Ultramar

Brother Pariah

Gather round, you Lexicania, Codiciers and Epistolaries. Take off those psychic hoods and put on your thinking caps. I have yet another idea for a grand project which will amuse and edify you, while creating a lasting monument of Ultramarine lore. Codex Auxilia: The guide to the human soldiers of Ultramar.

We will work together to compile every reference to the Defense Auxilia, PDF, and/or Imperial Guard regiements native to the planets of the Ultramar subsector from every source available. This top post will be where I will organize the quotations. Each entry should contain the following:

Whatever information is available about such things as:

Uniforms.

Weapons.

Background on battles fought.

Command structure.

Paint schemes.

Anything else important that I've forgotten because I've been working for the last 15 hours.

Cite your source. This is important. Historical research requires verifiable sources. Any official Warhammer 40,000 material is fair game, even licensed stuff. Some discrepancies will inevitably appear, but that's part of the fun! Be sure to provide a copyright date if the edition could be in doubt and a page number, if applicable. Also, specify which country your White Dwarf is from, if it post-dates the UK/US White Dwarf split (WD 192?).

Be aware that the PDFs of the planets of Ultramar go by various and contradictory names. Stay alert, Librarians! May the Emperor guide your researches!

I will color-code these entries as follows, so we can more easily distinguish differant periods.

1st Edition (October 1987-October 1993)

2nd Edition (October 1993-October 1998)

3rd Edition (October 1998-August 2004)

4th Edition (August 2004-present)

Unknown / Other (Further research required)

As usual, I'll "prime the pump" with the first entries, from US WD 263...

Codex Auxilia: The Guide to the Human Soldiers of Ultramar

Planetary Defense Forces: General Information

"Each [planet in Ultramar] has its own government, armed forces, and individual cultures..." (US WD 263, p. 22)

"When looking to its own defense, each world maintains its own dedicated armies, but can also call upon the protection of the Ultramarines." (US WD 263, p. 22)

"The harsh life on Macragge breeds hardy people with strong martial values and hard-working natures. Discipline, self-reliance and honor are seen as cardinal virtues and the children of Ultramar are taught these values from the earliest age. These are reinforced in the training academies and, vby the time students graduate, they are amongst the most disciplined humans in the galaxy.... the workers and warrios of Ultramar are respected throughout the galaxy and are a byword for strength, courage and honor." (US WD 263, p. 24)

Relationship to the Ultramarines

"...all [planets in Ultramar] look to the Ultramarines and Macragge for leadership." (US WD 263, p. 22)

"The inhabitants of these worlds are industrious, disciplines and intensely loyal to the Ultramarines." (US WD 263, p. 22)

Imperial Guard Regiments of Ultramar

"[The worlds of Ultramar] are not required to levy troops for the Imerial Guard, but such is the prosperity and disciplined nature of Ultramar that hundreds of regiments stand ready to fight throughout the galaxy." (US WD 263, p. 22)

--------------------

Thought for the day: It is better to die for the Emperor than to live for yourself.

While I was typing this up, Vash113 was busy, typing more references into a PM to me:

Here are as many of the references to the Ultramar PDF as I can find in a quick overview of my background material. I'll keep looking through more of the Index Astartes articles when I have time and forward any relevant information to you as well. For now I've gathered the following:

"To maintain this way of life, children of both sexes were sent to military and athletic academies at the age of six where they were taught to fight, build their stamina, maintain discipline, endure extremes of pain and survive in the wild. Life for the students was brutal and only the very best survived. At fourteen, after eight years of the toughest training imaginable, those students became soldiers." Index Astartes Volume III Page 22.

"This punishing regime ensured that the military might of Macragge was second to none and many of the surrounding systems adopted the same method of training." Index Astartes Volume III Page 22.

"At the age of six, as was the custom for children of Macragge, he (Roboute Guilliman) was taken from his father and inducted into the Agiselus Barracks where he mastered the art of war with breathtaking speed." Index Astartes Volume III Page 23.

"Disciplined, well-equipped armies from Macragge kept the King's peace, and starships travelled regularly between neighbouring systems." Index Astartes Volume III Page 25.

"When looking to their defence, each world maintains its own dedicated armies, but can also call upon the protection of the Ultramarines. They are not required to levy troops for the Imperial Guard, but such is the prosperity and disciplined nature of Ultramar that hundreds of regiments stand ready to fight throughout the galaxy. As well as their own defence, the worlds of Ultramar provide recruits for the Ultramarines.." Index Astartes Volume III Page 26.

"The harsh life on Macragge breeds hardy people with strong martial values and hard-working natures. Discipline, self-reliance and honour are seen as cardinal virtues and the children of Ultramar are taught these values from the earliest age. These are reinforced in the training academies and, by the time students graduate, they are amongst the most disciplined humans." Index Astartes Volume III Page 28.

"The skies boiled with fiery streamers of Tyranid reinforcements, but the brave warriors of the Ultramarines and their defence auxilia made the invaders pay in foul alien blood for every yard of ground grudgingly given." Codex: Space Marines pages 19 and 20.

Those are as many of the references as I can find though the Ultramarines series might have a few more I can't take more time from studying for finals to pour through those.

I hear you about the finals, Vash113! I'm in the same boat. As a result, incorporating these quotations into the top post will have to wait for another day!

Yea, finals can really be a pain, after I sent the first PM I remembered a few other sources I had stashed away that I had forgotten about and leafed through those and found some pretty good stuff that I PMed to you as well. I just checked the Defenders of Ultramar for the publication date and found this: Scrivener McNeill. 001.M2 which if I recall the Imperial calender correctly would suggest the publication date to be 2001, so middle of third edition. The Index Astartes information would of course be between 2000 and 2003 so also third edition, for ease of reference so you don't have to look that information up. I hadn't even considered color coding.

I just checked the Defenders of Ultramar for the publication date and found this: Scrivener McNeill. 001.M2 which if I recall the Imperial calender correctly would suggest the publication date to be 2001,

1001 AD, actually. Poor Graham never did have a head for figures, I'm afraid... :)

I hadn't even considered color coding.

Yeah, It's probably unnecessary for this particular project, but I used it for all of the other Librarium of Macragge Research Projects, so I thought I should maintain it.

From "the military of Ultramar"

Ultramar is the realm of the Ultramrines within the greater realm of humanity, that is the Imperium. Its worlds do not pay the Imperiums tithes. Instead they contribute directly toward the upkeep of the Ultramarines chapter. The rulers of the invidual worlds of Ultramar are feudal lords of the master of the Ultramarines. This is why the Ultramarines leader is also known as the Lord of Ultramar.

Just like other worlds in the Imperium, each world of Ultramar raises regiments for its own defense. Most worlds in the Imperium are obliged to provide regiments for the Imperial Guard when required, but Space Marine homeworlds are an exception. In the case of Ultramar, however, the Ultramarines rule so efficiently and are so prosperous, that they maintain several hundred regiments ready to join the Imperial Guard when needed. As a result regiments have fought all over the galaxy, often in campains alongside the Ultramarines themselves. ...

BTW: When GW replayed the battle of Macragge a few years ago, they used Valhallans as Auxillia. But that also could be, because it were the only minis in winterclothes...

I've got the White Dwarf with the "Ice Station Hebra" battle report packed up in the basement somewhere. As soon as I finish my errands for the day, if I can find it I'll post any fluff I can find in that. Fair Use doctrine applies to this sort of thing right?

Just don't go overboard. Quote any hard information but not complete paragraphs of the battle report.

Oh, and don't get your hopes up. If I remember correctly, there is only a small blurb at the start of the battle report. And I would NOT consider the Valhallan models used as ANY official indication of what an Ultramar Auxilia army should look like.

{But let's not get into speculation}

A selection of quotes from UK White Dwarf 97 - The History of the Ultramarines. I don't know if this is what you want but it holds numerous references to non-Marines serving in positions of rank within the Ultramarines Chapter both on the battlefield and providing logistical support.

MASTERSHIPS -

The Masters of the Order are important officials. Some perform a purely administrative role. Most, however, are also warriors and many are heroic figures held in awe by the order's young neophytes.....

It is not unusual for a mastership to be held by a non-brethren - i.e. someone who is not a space marine. In the past, Masters have been ordinary humans (or even morphs or half-humans). Although falling within the feudal jurisdiction of the Lord of Macragge, non-brethren are not marines

Note: This section goes on to list following posts:- Master of the Apothacarion, Master of the Ships, Master of the Forge, Master of the Household, Master of the Ordnance, Master of Sanctity.

------------------------

Psykers - some psykers are judged sufficiently strong to remain whole rather than suffer the transformation into an Astropath. Such men are recruited into the various Imperial services. Some are recruited by the marines and undergo the complete bio-chem ritual which turns them into marines. Some chapters integrate psykers into company level, but the Ultra-Marines place all such individuals within the Librarium. That is not to say they are unused to combat. Psykers perform a vital role as psychic support troops for their brother marines.

(So non-Marine Psykers provide battlefield support, this would place them on the battlefield perhaps?)

------------------------

Chief Librarian Astropath IlIiyan Nastase

Illiyan was born to a human mother on the world of Badab following the expulsion of the tyrant there in 912 of the current millennium. His father was an unknown Eldar mercenary.

Another non-Marine within the Ultramarines, this one is not even fully human.

------------------------

Master of the Ships Christo Columbine

.....Christo was too old to undergo initiation when he joined the Ultra-Marines (the upper limit is 18, subject to the individual -16 is usual). Christo is now (current year 987) 40 years old.

In 979 he joined the co-ordinating division of the Librarium and took over the Master of Ships in 982 - the first recorded instance of a non-brethren holding the post in this particular chapter. His heritage has left him spindly and his hands and feet are large and webbed.

Not only a non-Marine holding a position of rank but a mutant holding such a position.

------------------------

Master of the Household Fimor Dour

This is the most highly regarded of all the Masterships of the Order.

The Master of the Household is responsible for the day-to-day running of the fortress-monastery, acting as private secretary to the Commander as well as administrating such mundane things as .... and non-brethren recruitment.

Non-Marines being recruited by the Chapter and fallig under the responsibility of "the most highly regarded Master"

------------------------

Reclusiarch Leo Caberra

Leo Caberra is not a marine bust a priest of the Imperial Cult sent to ministrate to the spiritual needs of the Ultra-Marines.....Each of the 10 companies has its own religious leader called a chaplain. Chaplains are responsible for the spiritual welfare of their company..... The chaplain's own spiritual direction comes from the Reclusiarch of the Order. This is Leo Caberra, High Preacher of the Imperial Cult

Another non-Marine holding senior rank.

------------------------

I believe I have avoided excessive quotes in this article.

Leon

I've got the White Dwarf with the "Ice Station Hebra" battle report packed up in the basement somewhere. As soon as I finish my errands for the day, if I can find it I'll post any fluff I can find in that. Fair Use doctrine applies to this sort of thing right?

Oh, and don't get your hopes up. If I remember correctly, there is only a small blurb at the start of the battle report. And I would NOT consider the Valhallan models used as ANY official indication of what an Ultramar Auxilia army should look like.

Correct as usual, Captain. Also, the ice station is retaken by marines from the 2nd company, although I assume this is just because that's what they had painted. As we all know, the north fortress was reclaimed by the 3rd company, the south by the 7th, and the 2nd company was off having a tea party or something.

There is a good bit of fluff there though, roughly 2/3 of a WD page if you put it all together. If it's too much, one of the mods can feel free to PM me and I'll delete it, or they can do it themselves, whichever they'd prefer. If you put as much stock in this fluff as that in the codex and novels, I think it demonstrates the relationship between the PDF and the Ultramarines, and it's not as close as we all thought.

The Defense Force platoon snapped to attention as Sergeant Maxima strode out of the command bunker. Trooper Keyes shivered in the freezing cold, despite his thick uniform greatcoat. He watched as the master strode over to them. This was only the second time he had been this close to one of the masters and his curiosity burned inside him. It was said, back in the barracks to the south, that they had two hearts and could spit acid. Keyes strained his eyes to see any evidence of acid dripping from Sergeant Maxima's lips, but could see nothing. What he could see was the scars of centuries of fighting etched onto the veteran's skin. One eye had been replaced with a strange, artificial mechanism by the Tech-priests, and its glowing red gaze fixed Keyes with its unblinking stare.

"Is there a problem, Trooper Keyes?" Maxima asked him, stepping in front of the Defense Force volunteer, his massive frame blocking out the sun's light like a miniature eclipse. The Sergeant's voice was quiet and filled with authority. It was said that the masters always spoke quietly, because their hearing was so good. So good they could hear your heart beating from ten yards away. It was also said that they could smell your fear, and a trickle of cold sweat ran down Keyes' spine.

"N-nothing, my lord. There's no problem at all." he managed to reply, his jaw aching with the strain of not chattering in the cold. Keyes thought that the master didn't look the least put out by the arctic conditions. It was with momentary horror that Keyes noticed ice crystals encrusted on some of the master's waxy skin. If it was anyone else, Keyes thought, they'd be screaming with the pain of frostbite.

Maxima considered Keyes for a moment more and then stepped back. Raising his voice, the Sergeant addressed the assembled platoon.

"The xenomorphs will attack soon. Lord Calgar has ordered us to defend to the last man. There will be no surrender. Our glorious fleet is at this moment doing battle with the alien menace, and when it is victorious our warriors will return to relieve us. Men of Macragge, citizens of magnificent Ultramar, you are called upon to fight, and lay down your lives if necessary, in the defense of our realm. Do so with courage, for even as we stand here, the annals of history are being written. Let your names be remembered with pride." The sergeant finished with the customary salute of Ultramar, a fist clenched across the chest. Without a further word, Maxima turned around and strode easily through the thick snow, back towards the bunker.

"Die to the last man?" Brennan whispered harshly, his eye following the retreating form of the master. "That's alright for them to say, they're not really men at all."

"Shut it, Brennan!" Defense Sergeant Doric snapped. "It's their world as well, remember that!"

"Well, I'm just glad they're on our side." mumbled Keyes.

All eyes turned to the row of blue-armored Space Marines keeping their patient vigil at the wall.

"Aren't we all soldier," Doric replied, "aren't we all..."

Archived