Very Impressed with Icon of Chaos Glory

minigun762

We all know that a reroll for failed Leadership can be a very powerful thing and quite often I hear that claim that LD10 with IoCG is atleast equal to or better than Fearlessness, so I wanted to test it.

It was a fairly simple thing to try. I just grabbed the probablities of failing a LD check at 5 different LD values (6-10) and then multiplied the chance of failing by itself to find the chance of failing twice.

If anyone has any questions/corrections to my math, please let me know, but its fairly simple and unless its a dumb mistake, I feel pretty confident in it.

So here we go!

Normal Chance to Fail a LD Test:

LD10 = 3/36 = 8.3%

LD9 = 6/36 = 16.7%

LD8 = 10/36 = 27.8%

LD7 = 15/36 = 41.7%

LD6 = 21/36 = 58.3%

Chance to Fail a LD Test with IoCG:

LD10 = 0.7%

LD9 = 2.8%

LD8 = 7.7%

LD7 = 17.4%

LD6 = 34%

So as you see, LD8 with IoCG > LD10 which is pretty funny and LD10 with IoCG has less than a 1% chance to fail, thats better than a condom (when used properly) ;)

I take small units and hope they run so I can shoot my targets. However, having no ATSKNF, it leaves me in a bind sometimes I prefer to have more predictability and relying on firing on my targets as soon as they get charged by a counter-melee unit. My raptors are just such the thing for it, at LD9. They come in, shoot and charge, then run when it gets too hot for them and my noise marines+defiler takes care of the rest.

When I first got this dex, I thought I would be using all these different icon's, khorne and slanny on hth units, Tz on termi's. Turns out I'm using IoCG more and more. The last few years on the old dex I played totally MoCU and did quite well. I don't think I'll ever go all undivided w/ this dex but I am using IoCG more then I thought I would be.

Whilst its certainly better to have a reroll than not, it is worth considering that there are plenty of times a Ld test wont even come up, let alone be passed anyway. If you find yourself losing combat and are heavily outnumbered, chances are youre already dead; it may even be adventagous to lose the unit rather than lock it down another turn.

It certainly shouldnt discourage from taking the other Icons on the possibility theyll be compartively vulnerable to running away; most tests one makes (that arent essentially futile acts of desperation in the face of imminent death) are very passable.

I agree 100% warpghost.

You shouldn't be afraid to take another icon just because you might run.

As I showed, LD 10 is usually more than good enough and even basic CSM LD9 is equal to passing 5 out of 6 trys.

I think the main issue (for me personally) is that the other icons are 2,3 even 5 times as much point wise, so you'll see IoCG being taken as the K-mart icon :teehee:

It's true that csm's w/ there high Ld will pass most Ld test anyway, but there is always the chance of rolling the odd 11 at the worst possible time. It helped me out in the last game, I failed a Ld test on a shooty plasma squad that was below 1/2 strength, the reroll allowed me to keep shooting next turn and take out a couple of expensive models. Also saving 20 pts here and 30 pts there can add up to an xtra oblit, more guys in a unit, whatever. But it's true that in alot of games I never even use the reroll.

Its a safety net, and believe me ive been caught out by the odd bad roll as much as the next man. Certainly like most people id rather have it than not (alas my current army just doesnt have an allowance to give the Havocs an Icon, a lamentable situation).

Of the other icons, Slaanesh and Khrone are worth the points; Tzeentch im still not sure as it rarely seems to make a difference in the grand scheme of things, and Nurgle is fine as a concept but definitely overpriced. Between giving, say that Havoc squad, a IoN and IoCU (I still refer to it as Chaos Undivided, as the only Chaos Undecided were Lords for the much vaunted but heavily overestimated 2nd edition who took 2 or more Marks instead of taking a stand on any one concept of worship :lol: ), id rather give them the IoCG because leadership on such a small squad is almost as big a worry as getting shot down. For its price, the IoCU is vastly more cost-effective, as the IoN needs to see the enemy roll 10 to wound rolls that are 1 off succeeding for it to even average out.

It's also rather useful if you really just want the icon to teleport in terminators.

I tend to like the IoK. 18 points per model in a 10 man unit... man the anger that puts out in CC. Considering how many points loyalists have to pay to get true grit.

IoT, depends on what armies you face I guess. It's good because it works against shooting and in close combat, while khorne or slaneesh you won't use at all until cc. Situational though, as if your opponents are more volume of shots rather than strength of shots, then it's worthless.

Archived