Those Who Rise Again

Brother_Raphael

They make their Armor/Cover saves as normal based on the AP of the weapon.

Mycroft

Cheers! I thought as much - but you never can tell! As they say, God loves a trier!

:P

@Joah - Wraiths move like Jetbikes? Throne! Although the idea of a Turbo-boosting Wraith is exactly the same as a normal moving one, really, except that they can't assault at the end of it. A Psycannon or incinerator from my Grey Knights should do the job. Bit harder for "Ordinary" Astartes and their Traitorous brethren.

Get in to CC with the necron but watch out for the veil of darkness (he can deepstrike a squad out of cc and so on) and the monolith so it doesnt teleport CCed units out of CC.

Use power weapons and str 8 weapons but try to aim them at units that doesnt have a lord right by with a ress orb (you can make wbb test even if instant deathed or killed by power weapons in cc)

Other then that treat it as a marine army exept you melee it to death.

My preferred method of taking out Monoliths is me Vindicator. Although I did have a bit of a breakdown at a tournament. My opponent, who happened to be female, fielded a pair of them. Considering her low cut top, her Monoliths were hard to ignore. Oh, and so were her skimmer tanks with living armour. B) Truth be told, it's a lot of psychology, as having my Vindicator taken out first turn hurt my anti-Lith ability severely.

Nail C'tan with snipers if he takes them, they are generally hard to wound and you need your lascannons to shoot down his monoliths, powerswords and fists are a good choice, but the best way to kill a cron army is to nail his warriors hard and fast with plate weapons that ignore his saves (plasma cannons, vindicators etc, also good against destroyers) lightning clawed termies are a decent bet, rip through warriors easily, get him to phase out.

I wouldnt try a heavy mech army against crons, but thats personal taste, gauss rule means that even the basic warrior is a threat to all tanks in your army.

Also if you can a vindicare is useful to take out lords with those stinking res orbs that defy your attempts to stop their WBB rolls.

And remember, necrons as a general rule arent that good in CC against marines, their I3 really does tend to hurt them, hiding assault marines behind cover to protect them from fire then hopping them over and charging is a general good bet.

Try to wipe out one unit at a time, especially pariahs and other one of a kind units, they are very nasty if they live and because hes likely only to have one they wont get their WBB rolls if you wipe them all out in one because there wont be another unit within 6" to res off.

Hail!

One of my best friends plays necrons and just this week my wolves suffered a major defeat (only survivor was a venerable dreadnought). My army was a mechanized one, a land raider, predator annihilator, and two rhinos along with a ven. dreadnought. It was a cleanse mission and he fielded a single monolith, a deceiver, four warrior squads, four destroyers, immortals, and a necron lord with the teleportation artifact and res orb. Being assault oriented, I was quick to get stuck in melee with him, at first things looked positive till he used his monolith to teleport his lord and a unit of warriors within twelve inches of the cc combat after his deceiver used his "misdirect" ability. The cc squad was annihilated in the resulting crossfire from the destroyers/warriors/immortals. At that point he seized the center and had dominating fields of fire which smoked my rhinos and pinned my army into a single table quarter. I managed to destroy the monolith but his deceiver closed into cc with my raider and shredded it.

Incidentally, I am now completely overhauling the list, opting for drop pods instead of rhinos and hopefully getting to grips with him early. Here is a question that nags at me, what is a good tactic (besides lighting them up) to counter the necron lord's ability to tele out of cc, and on the flip side the "misdirect" ability of the deceiver?

The best way is just to take down the deciever as fast as is superhumanly possible, scouts, snipers, should take him down in 2 or three turns with their wound everything on 4+ and hit on 2+ ability, ten scouts are one of the best anti c'tan units if they all have snipes, as AP is irrelevant vs their invulnerables.

Option 2 is take an inquisitor and wedge a psycannon into your army, those are also good versus C-Tan (sucks that you cant take GK's, a purgation squad would be perfect)

It takes a good bit more time then two turns to plow through the necron army I have been facing. Each pack is almost too important to just throw into the C'tan's maw when their firepower can cause more havoc elsewhere. On the flipside He doesn't field a nightbringer anymore and opts for the deceiver/monolith/necron lord combo I spoke of. It makes it extremely hard to nail any unit of warriors down in CC unless the lord or monolith is dusted good and proper quickly. The Deceiver's misdirect guarantee's it won't find itself locked in a CC unless the odds are in its favor.

I will probably go the way of the sniper teams - I have seen them work and though would also be excellent with OBEL to nail the warriors that are often left in the backfield to hold the table quarter or be warped ahead by the monolith.

• 2 weeks later...
I played a game against a Necron player at a recent tournament. I would have pounded him into smithereens with my Devastator squad (krak missiles str 8, perfect vs necrons) but I was caught off guard by the speed of scarab swarms. Do NOT let these little buggers tie up your shooty squads. Blast them to pieces if you must.

• 1 month later...

Gentlemen and Ladies,

Here's a recap of what we've got so far, in an attempted summary below:

In general:

1) Force the Necrons to phase out. Deny them WBB rolls. (see 2,3,4)

2) Use power weapons and str 8+ when ever possible to keep them from getting their WBB rolls.

3) Force them to spread apart as much as possible, so that they're not with in 6" of a similiar unit. Again, to prevent their WBB rolls.

4) Focus fire and eliminate whole squads... once more to prevent WBB rolls.

5) Ignore/Avoid Monoliths and Nightbringers if possible. The more of these they have, the less points they have for "Necron' special ruled models and easier to force a Phase Out.

6) Keep vehicles out of LOS/range when ever possible, due to Necrons ability to always score glancing hits.

7) Close Combat (CC) is generally in your favor.

8) Watch out if a Monolith is getting close to a CC as it can warp the Necrons out of combat, leaving you high and dry.

9) Always lock in CC/eliminate Destroyers if you get the chance. Their speed keeps them safe most of the time and they have incredible weaponry.

I'd say the most important general rule from above is: Focus Fire. ALWAYS eliminate whole squads when possible. Especially an expensive destroyer/immortal/etc squad that isn't likely to have a model of the same type anywhere near them.

10) Monoliths can be the center of a Necron player’s battle plan. Whether a distraction, fire base or just a support portal, they can greatly disrupt the unwary opponent. They can Deepstrike into your lines, teleport Necrons (even out of CC) and have pretty nasty guns, too.

Monoliths are as dangerous as they are resilient, which makes for polar tactics. Either:

a) Make them a heavy weapons priority and try to destroy them. Predators, Dev Squads, Annihilators, etc. -- anything which carries a heavy punch. (Tactical squads and power fists are discouraged, as the Tacs only get one shot, and PF have to get too close for comfort.)

:P Ignore them. That’s right, ignore them. As they are so incredibly difficult to kill, and do not incur Phase Out, they may not be worth the trouble, (ESPECIALLY if there’s more than one.)

11) Scarab swarms die quickly to Templates and >S5 weapons. However, they can easily disrupt your battle plan if they manage to get into CC. Many Generals have found their Devastators or Assault Squads unable to complete their mission because they were tied up for 2-3 turns with a swarm. (Although these squads will generally win said CC.)

12) The Nightbringer and Deceiver are both deadly, if expensive, characters. Choosing before the battle whether or not you plan to engage them should be another important part of your strategy. If you choose to avoid them, you will have the advantage of having 300 pts. less “Necron” models to deal with for Phase Out.

On the other hand, if you choose to destroy them, they can yield lots of VP. Note well, the Nightbringer, and even the Deceiver are extremely difficult to kill, and are best targeted by shooting units from the first turn onwards. (Sniper squads are recommended for this job.)

Lots of people posted here, minigun762, bannus, tfcdogbert, Levett and many others so these are by no means my ideas, just a summary.

MyCroft gets special mention here, since much of what I have above is either a direct quote or a paraphrase of what’s written above in posts, although again many people made important contributions.

Also, if anyone has additional comments (say, about individual units like Destroyers or Tomb Spiders) please send me a PM with the info and I’ll post it here. Good night and good luck!

Strangely enough, my biggest win record is against Necrons. What I always use to knock out the little bastards is a trusty Vindicator or two, followed by lascannon spam. Plasma Cannons work nicely as well, as Necrons usually have many warriors in one choice, and they are usually clumped together.

My biggest piece of advice would actually have to be having a lot of weapons/units that can shoot/attack many times on different models. Heavy Bolters and assault cannon work very nicely, because with so many Necrons being downed, chances are, most won't get back up. And even if you only take a few away each turn, it's still worth it because you only need to kill so much before they Phase Out.

As for the monoliths themselves, if you aren't using a vindicator, I'd tend to ignore them. Missle launchers/meltagun are way better at killing warriors for no WBB and lascannons can be put against their destroyers or warriors.

EDIT: I mentioned vindicators simply because S10 that gets 2 rolls for penetration will work WONDERS against monoliths. They're big enough that you're almost always going to land on them, even with scatter.

Note: You do not get an extra D6 for penetration against a Monolith. Ever. This include the extra for "take highest" on ordnance. This leaves only a 50/50 shot of doing something to the monolith with a Vindicator. Which isn't shabby. But my preferred method is to go for phase out...Str 10 AP 2 ordnance does wonders for that!

I don't know, I still vote for vindicators as the ultimate "Monolith Killer".

Plus you can get atleast 2 for the price of those Devs/Havocks.

Toss on PotMS or Daemonic Poassession and you'll be good to go.

Or just drop a pair of S10 AP2 pie plates on warriors or destroyers. ;)

You've got the right idea! I would only target Monoliths with Vindicators if there were no other targets OR if there were several Necron squads very close to it, as protection from scattering.

It also helps that my "standard" army lists use Vindicators!

Edit: forgot to post the rest of this:

For assaulting them with monoliths on the board, try to ensure you can wipe them out in one round. Taking a chaplain will help quite a bit! If you have traits for it, get Furious Charge! Get more than one unit in on the action. Or as posted previously, engage as many different Necron units as possible and make him choose!

• 3 weeks later...

So making warriors flee in cc and then catching up with them is the best way to prevent WBB. Then maybe i should spent some more money on bikes/ assaultunits, cause we have a guy over here who realy annoys me especialy with his wbb roles. He does them 1 by 1.

BTW if you manage to immobilize a Monolith and reduce its number of shots than a dread might be usefull. S10 attacks on charge and you can block the tele thing.

Now something to counter the resurrection orb.

I fight Necrons in the following Manner.

1. Fill up on Tac Squads with their trusty Missile Launchers (I use them a ton)

2. Just stay away from the monolith if at all possible.

3. Focus as many squads as I can on 1 Sqd at a time and make it go bye bye.

4. Suicide rush my AM into the C'Tan

5.A Vindi and 2 Dev Sqds One with 4xHB for suqad annihilating fun.

It's worked out for me thus far only having lost one battle to an ally who could not hold his end of the board forcing me to spread out and try damage control.

As for the monoliths themselves, if you aren't using a vindicator, I'd tend to ignore them. Missle launchers/meltagun are way better at killing warriors for no WBB and lascannons can be put against their destroyers or warriors.

EDIT: I mentioned vindicators simply because S10 that gets 2 rolls for penetration will work WONDERS against monoliths. They're big enough that you're almost always going to land on them, even with scatter.

Note: You do not get an extra D6 for penetration against a Monolith. Ever. This include the extra for "take highest" on ordnance. This leaves only a 50/50 shot of doing something to the monolith with a Vindicator. Which isn't shabby. But my preferred method is to go for phase out...Str 10 AP 2 ordnance does wonders for that!

The Necron FAQ specifically states that you do roll 2D6 for ordnance.

• 4 weeks later...

The Deceiver is far more deadly than the Nightbringer for 1.

2. You cant tie a deceiver up in HTH for more than one phase of CC, then he will just bail out of it and charge you again, or pick a different target. The sniper method is the best way to deal with him, but if you dont have Snipers, he will hide most of his army behind his Deceiver for the duration.

3. Concentrate Fire, if you knock a squad down completely and they get back up and rejoin another squad, remember, you get FULL victory points for the fist squad.

4. Librarians with drop pod troops that can drop and shoot alot of units to below half to help with leadership works pretty well with FotD. Once they break, typicall the drop pods will herd them right off the board.

Clay

Archived