Iron Hands.... of irony

kikkala

Evenings everyone.

Since my WB are still in progress, so are my DA, what could be a better time to start a new army :ph34r: .

You might not know this, I have never ever been a real tournament before, so after 5 years of WH40k it about the time to do it! I hope that, I don't chicken out :P . B&C is the only place where I have seen Iron Hands, it's a shame that they aren't some other SM chapters. So Iron Hands are my 3rd army ;) .

So without further babbling, here's my 1st IH/test marine/commander.

In grays and greens:

gallery_25055_1634_248704.jpg

As you can see, green stuffing went horribly.

With some color:

gallery_25055_1634_166417.jpg

In my tiny head, I have impression that Iron Hands are cold, even for a space marine, conclusion: no warm colors.

Black, metal and blue are the main colors I chose. Parchments, skulls, purity seals: from gray to white.

Trying to achieve 500 points army, so 2 tactical squads and devastator squad are coming!

What do you think?

In my tiny head, I have impression that Iron Hands are cold, even for a space marine, conclusion: no warm colors.

Black, metal and blue are the main colors I chose. Parchments, skulls, purity seals: from gray to white.

Yeah, I think many of us Iron hands players have come to similar conclusions. my army has a particular mono-chromatic look to it to accentuate this concept.

Looking good so far. There just are not enough of us Iron Hands players around (but we are growing in numbers).

Don't forget to check out the Iron Hands bitz in the Online Store - very helpful overall. Also, there is a bitz list in the IA forum sticky that might give you some inspiration.

I have to join the others on the color scheme looks great and the lenses and the eyes look really nice. I prefer a bit more gritty although, but thats simple a question of taste. My only real critic is the pose. I like the general idea of him standing upright and proud in the midst of a raging battle but his legs really look painful. Knees simple don't bend sidewards. I know how hard it is to reposition marine legs. The best thing is to try the pose yourself. If its painful for you it will look unnatural :P

You start armies as often as i do ;)

Great work on the IH (the quality has certainly not diminished across the board from what i've seen of your work). I am surprised you didn't do too many additions in the way of bionics, although i am sure you have plenty of ideas ticking away in your head.

Looking forward to what is to come, and i'm sure you are enjoying the change of pace (from fleshy-biological Word Bearers to Bionic Iron Hands; definitely a case of going from one extreme to another :P).

Happy X-Mas everyone!

@Brother Richard

You'll like him more... he's wielding double combi-plasma :P .

@Red-Dragon

Glad you like it!

@bannus

Color-scheme was inspirated by your Iron Hands, I'll check those bitz lists and do my own versions of them... since ordering bitz isn't my thing (yet...).

@carnage

I have only two different blues: Dark Blue and Sky Blue, both from Vallejo Model Color range. Dark Blue is highlighted to 50/50 Dark Blue and Sky Blue or if you want go even further, add more Sky Blue.

@Barret

Iron Hands FTW! :D

Indeed! In my to do list: add freehands to cape B) .

@Solamus

Thanks you. I'm very proud of the eyes :D.

@Brother Bohemund

You're right about the position. I spent 2-3 hours modelling legs, and came to this conclusion: No more SM-leg modelling! Chaos Marine legs were so much easier to cut and model with. I blame gw's molding. But hey, it kind of fits with Iron Hands: No pain, no gain. ;)

@darkmarauder

Green Stuffing is a lot harder with Space Marines than Chaos Marines, since you can be a little messier with CSM that SM. Let's just hope that my skills improve. ;)

@The Angelus Sanctus

Well, I firstly tried to make a "normal" SM, but now I just need to do some little conversion :D . At least I'll add the left bionic arm to each marine, since they replace their left arm to mechanic one, according to IA, right?

I haven't been able to paint much recently, been rather busy with job and getting ready for christmas.

What else? I got updates! :lol:

gallery_25055_1634_545541.jpg

I'm think some kind of red planet-base. Mars, anyone?

What do you think? Oh, my second tactical squad should be arriving this week, so the rest of the week is filled with Iron Hands.

How Wude!! Hes pointing right at me, as if to say "Thats the heretic,right there!" oh well hes right :P

Nice work mate,i like the look of the metal it looks shiny but not all new and unused...i hate really new looking armour if marines are so old why would there look unused??

Nice job,ill definatly be checking back for updates ^_^

From

The Red Dragon

I'm think some kind of red planet-base. Mars, anyone?

I have found that a different colored base is "distracting" when you go with mono-chomatic models. Keep it muted or it could "push" the mini itself into the background.

• 2 weeks later...

Evening update time!

Holidays are over, and I grabbed my brush in a long time (a week without painting... shocking!)

Before starting to paint I observed what should I add to the captain. After couple I was rather displeased, the way I painted black wasn't good enough! Highlighting edges isn't my thing anymore. So here's captain with some new on him:

gallery_25055_1634_229954.jpg

This kind of black is what I want. :)

And new rank and file-marine:

gallery_25055_1634_27383.jpg

There's 4 more marine's (like him... without hands and backpack) waiting to be done.

What do you think?

Hey

I like the new black colour,really makes a better contrast with the lighter colours.It looks like they could hide in the shadows if it wasnt for there glowing lenses.The lenses actually appear to be pulsing with energy,which looks really cool.Keep up the good work.I cant wait to see more.

From

The Red Dragon

very nice looking. everything that I would say about them has been said already so... and that last pic there, thats exactly how I start all my marines to, legs, base(sometimes), head and body. cool!

hey kikkala, my good friend ;) gave up on chaos already? *Sigh* poor old Shorty

i love the job you pulled of on the blue areas, namely the eyes =] its so good you should consider that colour mixture stolen for my new Chaos ;)

Best of luck with the new project, i eagerly await the next update!

Cheers,

<<BrotherDamascus>>

Evening update time!

gallery_25055_1634_122891.jpg

He got his gun now, ready to blast off some enemies :P . Don't forger your backpack, like he did. (still in progress)

You couldn't see left hands bionics from earlier pic, so here's another angle:

gallery_25055_1634_111735.jpg

For those who want to know how this was made: cut 3 tiny pieces from electric quitar's string and glue them to carved place you have made, this can be done almost anywhere.

It's been long time BrotherDamascus :) . I haven't stopped working with my Word Bearers, priority is in Iron Hands now, I'm trying to get these guys hastly to next tournament (will be 1st tournament ever :) )

What do you think?

Last 2 days has been filled with painting!

What I managed to do:

gallery_25055_1634_524011.jpg

My current HQ isn't quite filled with bionics like he should be. But next HQ shall be more machine-like! I just need to finish my first 500pts ;) .

What do you think?

Archived