Iron Hands.... of irony

kikkala

Beautifuly painted as per usual Kikkala! :)

i especially like the blue-white guns and the rusty looking metal, although i personally prefer the black highlighty thing better than the more realistic shady, blendy thing. i just think that the highlighting makes them look more shiny and cold, whereas the blending makes the black warmer.

maybe its just as a world eaters player i paint lots of flattish red and dont get to do much extreme highlighting. ;)

also HOW CAN YOU TURN FROM CHAOS BACK TO THE FALSE CORPSE Emperor!!!!!!!

chaos is th ONLY answer! :blush:

also when are more of your world eaters coming? i thought they were awesome as well!

katana

I envy you Kikkala!! You always seem to get a goo number of stuff worked on, in the shortest time span available!

As for your most recent efforts, they are looking great. I think it would be great if we could see more augmentation on the marines, however that aside, you are producing some great looking minis! Keep up the great (and rapid) work :P

Evenings to all(...again :P ).

@Katana

Thank you. I started blending the black, only because I can't do good highlightings anymore... maybe hand just doesn't keep steady ;) . Also... I never turned away from chaos :P

@Iago

Thanks to you too, well they actually aren't in marble theme, but if it looks like marble... I'm pretty darn good B) .

@The Angelus Sanctus

Thank you :) . The Rank and File marines unfortunately will only have 1 bionic, the left hand, but there will be little exceptions... about heavy augmentation... there will be sergeants and many more ;).

Updates with piccies!!!

The rest of squad:

gallery_25055_1634_506604.jpg

As you can see, only one has hes bionics ready, when I have more time, I'll do my 1st Green Stuff bionics for the marines.

The Sergeant:

gallery_25055_1634_48569.jpg

This guy has gone through a LOT... He'll get serious amount of bionics.

What do you think?

• 4 weeks later...

Update time!

Current Group pic:

gallery_25055_1634_130822.jpg

As you can see: 3 Marines are finished, 3 needs bolters painted, and 2 are unfinished. About greenstuffing bionics: What can I say... IT IS HAARD!! :) :D :o

So no pics of sarge, I'm struggling to sculpt some acceptable bionics, and that's going to take some time.

What do you think?

Nice job Kikkala! I like them. Btw how do u highlight black? I like the loook on metallics too. This makes me dobut.... IF or IH? aaaergh! First I shall finish my dg ><

Again. I'll keep an eye on these.

Cheers,

Alberto

@Albreck

I highlight black this way: after basecoating model with chaos black, 50/50 Chaos Black and German Grey (VMC), next step pure German Grey and final highlight with 50/50 Codex Grey and German Grey.

I made a pic to show how I do it with a model:

gallery_25055_1634_5048.jpg

Don't laught, my skills with mspaint ain't good ;) .

@faol

Pic for you too :D :

gallery_25055_1634_2295.jpg

Firstly I paint a cross, the cross measures the size of the cog, then I start to "fill" the cross doing circural motion around cross, like the pic shows. And the ridges are painted like squares around the circle.

Bionics are pieces of guitar string cutted to needed lenghts. Carve a spot and glue, Vóila: a bionic ;) .

I hope these help.

Ahhh I've been using plasic rod and some wire and other metal bits I've yet to get me hands on some guitar string yet, I have to say making bionics isnt easy either but worth it

Great stuff as always Kik, nice to see these guys coming along very nicely (i guess this only fuels the concept that slow and steady wins the race).

For the bionics, have you tried random bits of wire, plasti-rod and stuff like that? It might make things easier for you, rather than trying to scupt bionics.

Thank you kik!!! Nice minitutorial. Again, you are tempting me to paint an IH squad I got somewhere in my bedroom :lol: I'm leaving now to get some guitar strings and styrenne rods. Keep working!

Cheers,

Alberto

They looks marvelous I like your choice to use cold colors the blues really pop against the black and the metallics my next freehand question is how did you do the Iron Hand symbol?

@faol

Thanks mate, here's how I do the freehand logo (more mspaint nightmares!):

gallery_25055_1634_15678.jpg

Firstly I paint a rough 8, from it I do the wrist and paw section of the hands, then add little streaky fingers. I hope this helps.

@TAS, bannus & CaptainLaevitacus

Thanks to you too :devil: .

New Squad for Iron Hands, almost in stage of priming.

gallery_25055_1634_268265.jpg

That right! 5-man squad fuelled with missile launchers!! Game-wise pretty balanced choise, but why... why in the warp Devastator box only contains one missile launcher!? Two each of these: heavy bolters, lascannons, plasma cannons, and one missile launcher and multi-melta. Luckily I had two Tactical boxes where I got two more MLs... and unfortunately I had to scavange one ML marine from my Dark Angels army ( :devil: ). Poor DA.

I thought that sarge for devvies needed something special. As a young marine he's not so augmented as a sarge should be, so he got some treties. There for the backpack coil-thingy.

What do you think?

Double posting time! Sorry about that :P .

Last time you saw tac sarge he was like this:

gallery_25055_1634_48569.jpg

Waiting to be GS:d.

And now:

gallery_25055_1634_290362.jpg

No GS folks! As it was impossible to do bionics from GS, I took a shortcut, took old headphones, cut the cable and I had some bionics :tu: .

I'll prime him, as soon as I'll get new tac squad assembled.

What do you think?

Great work and thanks for posting your MSpaint how-to's very helpful I plan to put your pic in my marine inspiration folder :tu: Now if I may ask a favor can you post a pic of the shoulder pad with the Iron Hand gauntlet please

The missile launcher unit will look nice on the table

Good work as always. : ) The arm and right leg look good, but I think the right leg's bionics need to be a little beefier, as they look somewhat...fragile at the moment.

The bionics look great, simple and effective.

However, i can't help but notice the bionics in the leg, seem to make his leg look unusually longer. Perhaps shrinking the bionics just a WEE bit and i think you'll be set. I do also agree with Barret, that if you get a chance to, a few more bits and pieces in the leg section would really 'beef' up the leg bionics. :D

@faol

Glad that my sucky mspaint tuts helped :eek . Here's painted logo pic, just fo you :jaw: :

gallery_25055_1634_470190.jpg

@Barret

Yes, I noticed that too, seems like some cables didn't attach propely and fell off :D , problem solved and fixed.

@TAS

I need to admit this, my measuring with eye-fu is weak :blink: . Fixed this problem too. Pics are coming up.

Ok, where was I... Oh yes... updates!

Tac Sarge fixed (I hope):

gallery_25055_1634_304122.jpg

And Second Tac Squad:

gallery_25055_1634_179647.jpg

Ranting time: Tac Squad Legs had some HORRIBLE mold lines on them :D . Never seen so horrible mold lines...

What do you think?

Archived