Iron Hands.... of irony

kikkala

I actually agree with Sgt Krueger. The "unlucky" look may actually be a rather positive one as it has given the PA a very worn and damaged look. Not sure if that effect will persist as you slap more paint on, but if you can work with that, i think you'll have one very sweet looking mini, with a lot of character.

@cheeseychaoslord

Glad to be assistance :P.

@sgt.Krueger & TAS

You make a good point there, if this would've happened on more minuscule scale, it wouldn't have mattered to me, but the way it is now...

Well, I tried to work out the truescale model, even the priming and basecoating failed. I started to apply more yellow layers, but the cracks showed out too strong. So I scraped the most bad spots with crafting knife, and started again. In the end, too many layers, too much battle damage, off you go to paint strip bin :). I'll be continuing with truescale marine after the paint is stripped.

So honour guard continues! He seems so small after I've been working with truescale marine :).

gallery_25055_1634_71814.jpg

A shame about the TS mini, but if you aren't getting the right feel about it, no point trying to make it into something that chances are will be a faint reflection of it's true worth.

The HG marine however looks great. Might just be the angle of the picture, but it looks like the marines left wrist needs to be rotated somewhat as it seems to be 'buckling' under the weight of the axe/axe head and is dropping down somewhat because of the weight.

However, that being said, it may be the camera angle :)

Thanks for the tips TAS ^_^. I don't know was it the camera angle or the wrist, anyway I rotated it little bit, and changing overall pose while I was at it.

Lots of progress. I added bionic eye matrix to the helmet and started to build a servo-arm, where the aux. grenade launcher will be placed (same with previous assault captain). Rotated relic blade holding arm. Then I started some greenstuffing :D, as you can see I sculpted a ammo feed for the bolter (still little bit rough), and sculpted clan and chapter markings (chapter marking not showing).

gallery_25055_1634_192055.jpg

These are some amazing conversions... on a side note, where can you get plasticard in the US? I need some for a terrain project, but i accidentally got foamboard (facepalm). If anyone knows what stores to get it at, and/or what to call it (as we dont call it plasticard for some reason), would be a great help

@Terminatorinhell

Glad you like it :).

@Iron Corsair

Thanks mate :).

@TAS

Again, I thank you for pointing that out :).

@Florida Gator

Thanks mate. I'm sorry, but I can't help out in your problem, due that I don't live in the US :P.

@Hiphopemas

You read all the pages, you have a lot patience :D. I have tons of headphones, which I've acquired during many years. And I never threw anything away <_<.

Not a lot progress today, I felt dizzy for some reason I don't know and was forced to lie down most of the day. Anyway, I sculpted relic blade handle and started the second honour guard. 2nd honour guard will have mk.4 armor and he is the clan banner bearer and he's got very extensive bionic right leg...

gallery_25055_1634_109862.jpg

i can't help but feel that the purpose of power armor is not just to provide strength but protection. I know the GW minis have all had very flimsy-looking bionic additions, but don't you think some ceramite plating might not be *too* amiss? I think it would at least help balance the figure's composition.

Also, I think there's a fundamental misunderstanding of truescale. Truescale is not about enlarging the figure, it's about correcting proportions. Although one of the ways to do this is to make him taller, you could just as easily have a true to scale 28-30mm marine instead of a 35mm beast that's hard to field with other models....

Wickedly nice as always Kikkala :D love the progress in your army!

humm a bitt curious abut your axe now too :) do you have the cogg shaped blade on it or is it a more standard axe head ? and what about some guitar strings to beafing upp the thighs on them ? might give them some more bulk maby ? :) hehe... awsome models Kikkala... and hummm another idea.. ( suprised ?) :P hehe.. well the idea where to maby ad some guitarstring the "thicker" one likte they have on some of the liberarians.. the one that goes from some where under the arms and to the collar sides to give them some bulk and more artificer armour look too maby ? sounds cool and nice in my head anyway :P hehe

Cheers and salutations master Kikkala :P

@Iron Phoenix

I see your point there. The way GW makes its bionics is very 'practical', making sure that everybody sees that the bionics are really bionics. Sure, the bionics could be shaped more like the limbs they're replacing, but that wouldn't be very 'gothic'. Other armies whose technology is more exquisite, such as tau and eldar would have more fancier bionics replacements. I've been balancing the lack of armour with tilting plates, and I like the way the bionics are actually visible ;).

Maybe I shouldn't have used the term 'truescale'. I understand the correction of proportions and such, I just wanted to test out my sculpting skills and make a really big marine :). That project is for showcase only, never intended to game table. Maybe I'll use the better term 'Artscale', which came to fame with Lamenter and his 'bigger scale marine'-projects.

@TAS

Thanks mate :). I'll be adding some more details later for the relic blade, cables and such, thus making it 'pop' even more :cry:.

@dark_claw & Grokkit

Yup, resin heads, from Maxmini -->LinkyDinky<--.

@Xavier Targhost

Thanks mate, the axe has normal blade, I won't be adding more cabling to the legs for now, I'm too scared that I'll break them (happened too many times already...). I'll consider the cabling idea for torso, if I can find a proper place for them ;).

Aaand, basic sculpting started on clan banner bearer. Helmet sculpting didn't go that good I'd hoped, so I'll start from scratch yet again with it :P.

gallery_25055_1634_69492.jpg

I demand more servitors!

.. I imagine an Emperor's Children one would look like Hedonism Bot from Futurama.

Anyway, if I can get my hands on some new parts tomorrow, I'll try and throw together my version of a repair servitor, for your amusement. (my sculpting skill only just gets a positive symbol in front of it)

@Iron Phoenix

Thanks mate, no need to apologize :HQ:.

@TAS

I hope there will be some scratchbuilding in the near future ;).

@NemFX

Even more servitors :HS:. There cannot be enough servitors! I'm looking forward seeing your new servitor <_< .

Unbelievable thing happened today... I started to paint 1st HG :FA:.

gallery_25055_1634_3171.jpg

Very nice. I have been watching this blog for a while, and I have always been impressed by your stuff.

Though allow me to clear up the Scales.

True Scale

Meaning 1: A generic term for all up-scaling of marines in order to make them bigger then normal human models. First used in this context by Doghouse.

Meaning 2: A modelling term for accurately proportioned models. The opposite of Heroic Scale, which is where parts of the model are made slightly bigger, like a caricature, which works best on smaller scale models, such as 28mm. Prior to common belief, no Scale is superior to the other, as the Art of Miniature making is, as the name implies, an Art Form, and henceforth subject to interpretation.

Actual Scale - The process of modelling marines to their accurate scale. Not just making them bigger. Often terminator parts are used here, as well as other processes to get them to the image as portrayed in the fluff and artwork of the Space Marines. First used by Doghouse.

Artscale - An alternative term for Actual Scale. First used by Lamenter.

Lanky Marines/Standy Marines - All terms for marines with longer legs or arms or more upright poses in order to make them True Scale.

Doghouse Pattern/Gothic Pattern - Standy Marines that have been made standy via the use of Chaos Warrior legs. First used by Doghouse.

I hope this clears up everything regarding scale here, and in a few other threads that have involved the subject recently.

WOW is all i can say.i read all 30 pages today and im more than impressed with your work,now I'm definitely starting an iron hands army.

one question though:where do you get the bionic left arm bitz you use? i cant find them separately anywhere except on the expensive premade gw iron hands troops.

edit:forgot to mention,the hg looks fantastic. him,along with the termie's and the ironfather are my personal favorites

Archived