Planning on a Pre Heresy Alpha Legion

Brother Eleysium

As a long time Alpha Legion fan, and their first HH novel coming up I have decided to start a Pre Heresy Alpha Legion. The army will definitely include at least one Fellblade, and my group has agreed to allow me to use Alpharius' rules that were created on here. The army will be completely for Apocalypse games and friendly play, so I don't think anyone will have much of a problem with it if I play outside of my group.

I am having some problems trying to figure out which Dex to use, and I am having an even harder time finding Fluff for them outsideof the 3rd Ed Chaos Dex. I was considering the Chaos Dex and limiting myself to non Daemonic units and upgrades. The majority of the army was going to be made up of Chosen to represent the infiltraion that was lost to them. But, I am kind of on the fence bcause I can use the trait system and give a whol lot more squads infiltrate for roughly the smes points cost. What would you guys suggest?

Does anyone know of any good Fluff on the Alpha Legion? I am mainly looking for Pre Heresy Legion compsition and favored weapons and tactics(besides infiltration)

There is a pdf on belloflostsouls that has homegrown rules for PH marines and each legion using the SM codex. They only added a couple of traits, limited a few wargear and weapons options, put a limit on some squads like assault marines, and then said the squad size can be between 5 and 20.

I don't know of this forums rules on linking to other forums or giving out pdf stuff, so I hope you find it (check down on the subforums list and you might find it in the proposed rules section)

For fluff try google-ing to find the Index Astartes articles. The one on Alpha legion is quite cool. Alpharius is sneaky from the get go. He breaks onto the bridge of one of horus' ships, then after joining refuses to tell which planet is his home.

Did you read the preview of Legion on the BL homepage ?

That and the old Chaos'dex are the only real sources of fluff that I know....

or try to find the IA article on the RED ELF site....I would have put a link, but html is not allowed it seems... .

Ruleswise I would use the SM Codex, for the reasons you mentioned (more squads able to infiltrate etc.)

Ok, hope that helps :D

Brother Styphus, it is okay to my knowledge to put a link from other forums on the B&C. As long as you are not posting copyrighted material or trying to sell things for profit. So if you could post that link from Bell of Lost Souls for me I would appreciate it.

And yes I have read the preview from Legion and it makes my blood boil with anticipation.

It's not just OK to post links to the BoLS Age of Heresy ruleset, the Bolter and Chainsword admins have already done it for you!

Look up in the stickied threads at the top of this forum. The ruleset has its own permanent thread there. Feel free to leave comments there if you have any questions.

-bigred

The Horus Heresy omnibus hardback has a really nice two page spread of all the legions in their heresy-era schemes. Its basically a higher res compiled version of all the pre-heresy schemes that were shown at the front of all 18 of the Index Astartes articles on the First Founding legions.

• 11 months later...

I'm also working on a pre-heresy alpha legion army. I figure I should have it all painted and ready to go for the summer/fall league (must paint all I currently own before this project - as a practical and financial matter). The league is 5 weeks at 1500, 5 weeks at 1750.

Fluff considered, I decided to use the Demonhunters Codex as my Pre-Heresy Alpha Legion.

The idea is that it is an army of elite warriors (a la Inquisitor Lord and retinue, a Vindicare Assassin, an Indy Inquisitor, and two squads of stormtroopers (one with upgraded Sgt., indy inquisitor leads the other stormtrooper unit- all light on the directly anti-demon theme) that have alpha legion support (two squads of anti-armor equipped alpha legion in drop pod for the 1500 list, with a 5-man dakka devastators and a dakka pred added to the 1750).

I figured this was a fun and fluffy way to do a different army that includes my favorite pre-heresy legion that will include models that are something other than a blue marine (I only have one army - Ultramarines).

The novel was great - and the idea that they often use non-Marine units lead me to the demonhunters' codex. Witchunters codex would probably be nearly identical for this purpose, but for reasons I can't remember decided on Demonhunters. I have no intention of using sisters or grey knights - except for the sister I will convert as my inquisitor lord.

Good call Fringe. I'd say the Daemonhunters codex is the closest in the spirit of the pre-heresy Alphas(and post-heresy as well, at least until the legion specific codex comes out).

Remember to convert it to high heaven though. As the inquisition wasn't quite around yet, I'd say you could easily turn your Inq + retinue into a Guard Grand Marshall type figure and his command squad.

And when you're done, I wanna see pictures ;)

Archived