Devastator Help

duttydave

• 3 weeks later...

I played a unit of Chaos Havocs (from the previous codex) with 1 lascannon, 2 missile launchers and 1 heavy bolter, Aspiring Champion and 1-3 marines with bolters, it was a good all around unit that had some solid staying power. I found that setting them up was the key with the heavy bolter, somewhere basically as center to the board on my deployment edge closest to my opponent was best, from there I controlled most of the board. I also realized that running two squads of havocs wasn't going to happen, since I wanted tanks, so dedicated role squads were out of the question.

I built my unit this way in order to make the most out of it and by making the backbone of the unit missile launchers it allows me to tailor it to suit the objective on a round by round basis. Also including the lascannon adds a good punch both in an anti-tank or anti-infantry basis. The heavy bolter can be used against most of the light tanks in the game and is a solid weapon for the anti-infantry role, the only time that it doesn't have at least a chance is on the front and side arch of the bigger tanks.

Also putting a lascannon in a tactical squad is a bad idea in my opinion, even though it is cheaper to buy it for the tactical squad there is always the fact that you will go at least a couple of round without shotting it and possibally the game. In a dev/havoc squad you will use that weapon more often making it worth the extra points you spend on it.

I have to say Im a big fan of the Tourny 4 Missile Launcher squad.

I currently run 2 Dev squads, each full ten men (gotta love those bolter wielding meat shields ;) ). One has the 4 ML, the other 2 Lascannons and 2 heavy bolters. I can also run a Plasma Cannon and all Heavy bolters, but I rarely see the need. The thing is just to play around and see what works for you. I know players who swear blind on the 4 Lascannons, and some who have all Heavy bolters. I think I would only ever take 4 Plasma cannons if I had an Apothecary as Sgt. I just cant help but roll ones!

Plus, hit a guard squad with 4 frags, or a Tac sqd with 4 krak missiles and watch what happens...you'd be surprised at how much damage 4 ML can do! :)

I've read through this topic and was interested in Multi-meltas... Any way these pesky terminators with their asscannons should be around 24' from me as well as a big part of other untis from different armies. Except tanks you can outshoot almost anything I think... And for dealing with tanks there is no worse unit as big juicy dev squad, which may die from one lucky ordnance...

Archived