Modelling: Doghouse Pattern Truescale Marines

Doghouse

Can you make this into a tutorial for the librarium when your done? This would save us sifting through praise (rightly deserved though!) to find the next step. I really like how the masters on this site, like Doghouse, Boltman, Starks, to name a few have made have made "dumbed down" tutorials for those of us who are less artistcally inclined. Just reading your Gothic marine tutorial improved my GS skills. Keep up the great work!

Don't worry guys I will be updating in the near future. Having some real life issues sapping my free time and finances but the second part is coming.

I promise I'll get the second part up asap, honest... ;)

Bigger-than-Jesus: It may be tricky at first but I'm breaking the torso tutorial down so anyone can do it. You can use regular marine torsos but they look a little small, the assault torso is probably better than the standard version because of the cabling bulking it out.

There are loads of fancy tutorials out there for armatures and whatnot that can put people off trying to sculpt. I taught myself so will be passing that knowledge on here shortly, you don't need to be Jes Goodwin to use my method and it uses basic materials that everyone can get hold of like bits of sprue for example.

Blindhamster: MATE!!!! Long time no see, great to hear from you again!

Merkava: Excellent! Always does me some good to hear that my tutorials help improve the skills of others as it's the main reason I post on forums.

When it's finished I'll try and get a proper tutorial posted in the Librarium. :)

AkiraCho: As tempting as that offer is mate I think I'll have to pass... :huh:

My plan is to make a squad or two of my DIY Iron Hands successor chapter, but then use them as a deathwing terminator force :) true-scaled regular marine being as tough as a regular terminator etc.

Which would mean true-scaleing a rhino to counts-as a land raider..

My god Doghouse your skill still truly amazes me. I've seen your threads on the true scale marine and felt like my skill was nowhere near good enough to give it a bash, but with this thing i'm going to try it out!!! Looking forward to seeing more mate, just one question though - have you used your guys in games and are they legal enough?

If mine ever make it to battle I'd field them as terminators, and maybe strip down the tactical squad set and field them as scouts for the troop choices.

My terminators arrived :yes:

I had a quick start last night but looking at the legs on the sprue I decided on some of them, in particular the one I started working, the thighs seemed a little short, so I'm currently separating the groin by both hips in order to bring the tops of the thighs closer together and lengthen them. Not by much.

Thanks for this tut doghouse, really puts mine to shame (but dont tell anyone i said that) But can you tell me what you use for the left arms as i have made 20 of these (estimating how to) and the combat termie arms limit the left arm pose.

Looking forward to the next bit. Thanks for the inspiration to start my truescales!!

Cry Wolf

• 3 weeks later...

Don't worry about the delay dude

the fact the you're dedicating so much of your own time and resources is enough

once I build up the courage I plan to make me some of these bad boys

Although probably for a kill team/Death Watch kill team

I don't think I could manage an entire army haha

keep up the good work

Nearly got a set of legs done :lol: Very, very chuffed with the way they're coming out, even though I've done them in a slightly different way, with a great deal more cutting involved.

The green stuff technique tutorial, particularly the way you suggested smoothing it out with circular motions, has helped a load :P

But what's the next stage!!!??

Do not rush a genius ;)

Plus I prefer the progress on the Cosmic Space Knight's (of Doom).

Alltho I really like the SCK(od) I would love to see this Tutorial finished,

I'm absolutly in love with the Night Lords dude on his first page,

and I really wish to make something similar *albeit a EC for me*

I'm not a good converter, plus I've been out of the game for YEARS,

so a good tutorial is really something I can use.

It'll help me regain some of my modelling/painting Mojo back,

plus i'll end up with an awesome display model :)

So yeh... I would love to see this finished, rather sooner then later.

*I'm not rushing no genius tho :P *

Likewise. I no longer know enough of the 40k universe fluff to fully appreciate the CSK(od). This, though, I can appreciate.

I'm not too keen on the fully green-stuffed torso though. The guy on the first page looks a little as though he's wearing a turtle-neck.

Next time I get some spare time to work on my true-scaled guys I think I might attempt this;

http://demonwinner.free.fr/uk/2003/uk03_40ksquad_1.jpg

It's from the Golden Demon squad category from 2003. The picture isn't awesome, but what was done was the torso was upside down, so the head sat in the upturned abdomen socket as opposed to the neck. Don't know how well it will work given the ultra-realistic intent of true-scaling, as the finished product appears more ethereal and elf-ish than big gothic and brutal, but we'll see :rolleyes: I intend to make a blog of my progress anyway with pictures, so you'll all be able to see how successful, or not, it is

That said, I still want to see this tutorial finished!

As an old player returning from a break, I am intrigued by the actual scale Marines. Sooo Doghouse once this tutorial is done are you going to show us how to make an actual scale terminator, considering you use the Terminator Legs. I for one would love to have a Deathwing Army Kited up to Actual Scale and regulars DAs at actual scale talk about an Imposing Army.

I want to make an actual scale Azrael to lead the Dark Angels to battle... Hummmmmmmm

Thank You Doghouse and I look forward to the updates.

only lunacy rushes genius. we'll be waiting and maybe pulling our hair out but waiting none the less ;)

that is the BEST quote ever :) nice one mate :)

although its a fair point, we dont want to rush you mate :)

i've done 5 sets of these legs ...im considering making an entire combat patrol force of them .. providing 5THed actually has combat patrol XD

cheers mate, keep up the legendary work

<<Damascus>>

I just got done doing the first test leg of actual scale marines. I am using ProCreate and wow its some good stuff... I have used green stuff before. But this is a major improvement. The Vaselin is amazing and lot easier to work with then just water alone. Now if only we could get the torso portion of this tutorial as that is one thing I am stumbling on right now. But no hurry Doghouse I fully understand Life requirements and the what not!