Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Modelling: Doghouse Pattern Truescale Marines

• Please log in to reply
248 replies to this topic

Blindhamster

Blindhamster

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,816 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels
Im glad you came back mate ;) hit me with an email sometime :cuss Id really love an update on sculpting the torso :P

Primaris Blood Angels: Wins 4 Draws 0 Losses 2

Blood Angels 3rd Company Wins 25 Draws 5 Losses 13

Heresy Blood Angels: Wins 4 Draws 0 Losses 2
Blood Angels 4th company: Wins 10 Draws 3 Losses 4

gallery_62972_10568_12006.jpggallery_14877_13354_6399.jpggallery_62972_14467_4048.jpg

Blood Angels Primaris Blog

Yukka

Yukka

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 64 posts
Only used my first bit of greenstuff yesterday to make some puss on a dreadnought - had no idea it was so versatile.

Definately looking forward to the next installment!
Thou shalt not kill, I shall..

"Welcome to 5th Edition, you can now kill ten men by shooting one man ten times. "

Merkava

Merkava

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 956 posts
  • Faction: Ultramarine 2nd Company
Can you make this into a tutorial for the librarium when your done? This would save us sifting through praise (rightly deserved though!) to find the next step. I really like how the masters on this site, like Doghouse, Boltman, Starks, to name a few have made have made "dumbed down" tutorials for those of us who are less artistcally inclined. Just reading your Gothic marine tutorial improved my GS skills. Keep up the great work!
That's the problem with the internet. Back in the good ol'days, each village had to endure it's own idiot. But now one has to deal with idiots from villages around the world.

When in doubt follow the rule of cool.

International Brotherhood of Hobbiests (IBH Member)
QUOTE (Gold Raven @ Aug 16 2007, 04:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Y'know for all of their sado-masochist hedonistic tendancies, I'll never understand why not a single one of the EC went to Fabius Bile, pointed at their nether-regions and said, "While you're cutting me open, think you can get these working again?"
My Blog

wiplash

wiplash

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,284 posts
  • Faction: Space Wolves
im working on some of those gothic marine models myself, any updated doghouse??

5th ed SW : 19/4/1 (W/D/L)
6th ed SW : 0/0/1 (W/D/L)

Patrick O)))

Patrick O)))

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 284 posts
Just bought a squad of plastic terminators off ebay :upset:

need something to do over summer :( a true-/actual-scale squad is one of my summer projects

AkiraCho

AkiraCho

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,750 posts

Thanks for devoting so much time to this, it's simply great.

yeah your simply great doghouse, if you were so devoted why dont you marry me, i could use the worship :pinch:

jk way to write a tutorial tho mate
QUOTE (Brother Pariah @ Nov 18 2007, 05:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
EDIT: Never mind. I really don't want anything to do with this thread.

Doghouse

Doghouse

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,154 posts
  • Faction: Summoners
Don't worry guys I will be updating in the near future. Having some real life issues sapping my free time and finances but the second part is coming.
I promise I'll get the second part up asap, honest... ;)

Bigger-than-Jesus: It may be tricky at first but I'm breaking the torso tutorial down so anyone can do it. You can use regular marine torsos but they look a little small, the assault torso is probably better than the standard version because of the cabling bulking it out.
There are loads of fancy tutorials out there for armatures and whatnot that can put people off trying to sculpt. I taught myself so will be passing that knowledge on here shortly, you don't need to be Jes Goodwin to use my method and it uses basic materials that everyone can get hold of like bits of sprue for example.

Blindhamster: MATE!!!! Long time no see, great to hear from you again!

Merkava
: Excellent! Always does me some good to hear that my tutorials help improve the skills of others as it's the main reason I post on forums.
When it's finished I'll try and get a proper tutorial posted in the Librarium. :)

AkiraCho: As tempting as that offer is mate I think I'll have to pass... :huh:

TRUESCALE SPACE MARINE TUTORIAL

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Spoiler

Patrick O)))

Patrick O)))

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 284 posts
My plan is to make a squad or two of my DIY Iron Hands successor chapter, but then use them as a deathwing terminator force :) true-scaled regular marine being as tough as a regular terminator etc.

Which would mean true-scaleing a rhino to counts-as a land raider..

Ekkanus

Ekkanus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 338 posts
  • Faction: Soul Reapers
My god Doghouse your skill still truly amazes me. I've seen your threads on the true scale marine and felt like my skill was nowhere near good enough to give it a bash, but with this thing i'm going to try it out!!! Looking forward to seeing more mate, just one question though - have you used your guys in games and are they legal enough?

Patrick O)))

Patrick O)))

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 284 posts
If mine ever make it to battle I'd field them as terminators, and maybe strip down the tactical squad set and field them as scouts for the troop choices.

My terminators arrived :yes:

I had a quick start last night but looking at the legs on the sprue I decided on some of them, in particular the one I started working, the thighs seemed a little short, so I'm currently separating the groin by both hips in order to bring the tops of the thighs closer together and lengthen them. Not by much.

Wiggles 2.0

Wiggles 2.0

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 44 posts
Great job, and I need to know how you sculpted the chest, so if you could help thanks :D :thanks: :thanks:

Cry Wolf

Cry Wolf

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 402 posts
  • Faction: Whats a Chapter: the Rout
Thanks for this tut doghouse, really puts mine to shame (but dont tell anyone i said that) But can you tell me what you use for the left arms as i have made 20 of these (estimating how to) and the combat termie arms limit the left arm pose.
Looking forward to the next bit. Thanks for the inspiration to start my truescales!!

Cry Wolf

RAISE PROSPERO, FOR RUSS, FOR THE WARMASTER. FOR THE EMPEROR!!

Visit my Truescale Rout Blog here! Youll love it...
http://www.bolterand...he-heresyhobby/

Want to do true scale, click HERE!! (Very old guide)

savage_heathen

savage_heathen

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 150 posts
any more updates yet?

Doghouse

Doghouse

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,154 posts
  • Faction: Summoners
Thanks guys. :tu:

Really sorry about the dely but I am still working on it...honest. ;)

TRUESCALE SPACE MARINE TUTORIAL

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Spoiler

HellChyld

HellChyld

++ MODERATI VERBUM ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 3,358 posts
only lunacy rushes genius. we'll be waiting and maybe pulling our hair out but waiting none the less <_<

gallery_48988_6285_1641.jpggallery_48988_6285_1098.jpggallery_48988_6285_1776.jpggallery_1805_634_6746.jpg

DarKHaZZ13

DarKHaZZ13

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,274 posts
  • Faction: Salamanders
Don't worry about the delay dude
the fact the you're dedicating so much of your own time and resources is enough

once I build up the courage I plan to make me some of these bad boys
Although probably for a kill team/Death Watch kill team
I don't think I could manage an entire army haha

keep up the good work

-DH- Innocence proves nothing

Twitch Channel & YouTube Channel
Personal Blog - The Science of Selling Yourself Short
Board Game E-Zine - The Cardboard Cartographer
Hobby Blog - The Underhive Hero

You know you play too much 40k when, after a 'good night' with your significant other, you perform a sweeping advance instead of letting her go to sleep. After you finish, you declare it a massacre, and attempt to consolidate D6 feet towards the shower and/or kitchen.

Terminatorinhell

Terminatorinhell

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,370 posts
  • Faction: Crimson Guardians Night Lords
note to self go buy a sculpting tool it will help
thanks for the tutorial bring more knowledge!

gallery_24779_1036_30733.jpg

The Emperor's Champion:
"Never forget, getting tackled by a charging Marine is a LOT like getting hit with a VW Beetle at 30+mph. A VW that hates you and everything you stand for..."

With a lonely whisper you hear him say, on this night you will die this way...

Patrick O)))

Patrick O)))

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 284 posts
Nearly got a set of legs done :lol: Very, very chuffed with the way they're coming out, even though I've done them in a slightly different way, with a great deal more cutting involved.

The green stuff technique tutorial, particularly the way you suggested smoothing it out with circular motions, has helped a load :P

But what's the next stage!!!??

Sigismund Himself

Sigismund Himself

++SCRIBERE NOVELLUS++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,415 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars
Do not rush a genius :P

Plus I prefer the progress on the Cosmic Space Knight's (of Doom).

MrGosh13

MrGosh13

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 88 posts

Do not rush a genius ;)

Plus I prefer the progress on the Cosmic Space Knight's (of Doom).

Alltho I really like the SCK(od) I would love to see this Tutorial finished,
I'm absolutly in love with the Night Lords dude on his first page,
and I really wish to make something similar *albeit a EC for me*
I'm not a good converter, plus I've been out of the game for YEARS,
so a good tutorial is really something I can use.
It'll help me regain some of my modelling/painting Mojo back,
plus i'll end up with an awesome display model :)

So yeh... I would love to see this finished, rather sooner then later.
*I'm not rushing no genius tho :P *

Patrick O)))

Patrick O)))

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 284 posts
Likewise. I no longer know enough of the 40k universe fluff to fully appreciate the CSK(od). This, though, I can appreciate.

I'm not too keen on the fully green-stuffed torso though. The guy on the first page looks a little as though he's wearing a turtle-neck.

Next time I get some spare time to work on my true-scaled guys I think I might attempt this;

http://demonwinner.f..._40ksquad_1.jpg

It's from the Golden Demon squad category from 2003. The picture isn't awesome, but what was done was the torso was upside down, so the head sat in the upturned abdomen socket as opposed to the neck. Don't know how well it will work given the ultra-realistic intent of true-scaling, as the finished product appears more ethereal and elf-ish than big gothic and brutal, but we'll see :rolleyes: I intend to make a blog of my progress anyway with pictures, so you'll all be able to see how successful, or not, it is

That said, I still want to see this tutorial finished!

Brother Karr

Brother Karr

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 170 posts
As an old player returning from a break, I am intrigued by the actual scale Marines. Sooo Doghouse once this tutorial is done are you going to show us how to make an actual scale terminator, considering you use the Terminator Legs. I for one would love to have a Deathwing Army Kited up to Actual Scale and regulars DAs at actual scale talk about an Imposing Army.

I want to make an actual scale Azrael to lead the Dark Angels to battle... Hummmmmmmm

Thank You Doghouse and I look forward to the updates.

Merkava

Merkava

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 956 posts
  • Faction: Ultramarine 2nd Company
This tutorial or Cosmic Space Knights, oh man, choices, choices! Doghouse you need to clone yourself and do twice the work!
That's the problem with the internet. Back in the good ol'days, each village had to endure it's own idiot. But now one has to deal with idiots from villages around the world.

When in doubt follow the rule of cool.

International Brotherhood of Hobbiests (IBH Member)
QUOTE (Gold Raven @ Aug 16 2007, 04:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Y'know for all of their sado-masochist hedonistic tendancies, I'll never understand why not a single one of the EC went to Fabius Bile, pointed at their nether-regions and said, "While you're cutting me open, think you can get these working again?"
My Blog

BrotherDamascus

BrotherDamascus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 413 posts
  • Faction: Blood Scorpions

only lunacy rushes genius. we'll be waiting and maybe pulling our hair out but waiting none the less ;)

that is the BEST quote ever :) nice one mate :)

although its a fair point, we dont want to rush you mate :)

i've done 5 sets of these legs ...im considering making an entire combat patrol force of them .. providing 5THed actually has combat patrol XD

cheers mate, keep up the legendary work

<<Damascus>>

Brother Karr

Brother Karr

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 170 posts
I just got done doing the first test leg of actual scale marines. I am using ProCreate and wow its some good stuff... I have used green stuff before. But this is a major improvement. The Vaselin is amazing and lot easier to work with then just water alone. Now if only we could get the torso portion of this tutorial as that is one thing I am stumbling on right now. But no hurry Doghouse I fully understand Life requirements and the what not!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users