Legion

Angels_Blade

Take the Sharpe books for example. It would run something like this:

First five pages: runs round fighting, meets dangerous and highly clever villain that everyone wants dead but no one's managed to kill. Fights them a few times but they survive. Impresses beautiful princess/wealthy woman. Strikes heroic pose.

Rest of book: Big battle in which Sharpe confronts enemy, has a desperate, to-the-death fight. Wins fight. Strikes heroic pose again (particularly in films).

And everytime he does something heroic you have to have a drink of rum or brandy depending on how well you know Sharpe! sorry, drinking game we play when standing is nolonger important.

As for Legion. Great book, amazing read the 2nd time. for all those who didnt like it, read it again. was not 100% on it 1st time round like some of the others, but every read makes it better, you notice little details.

and everyone keeps saying Alpharius was no bigger than a terminator captain. wasnt that capt omegon (i keep wanting to call him Omegatron for some reason)

Next few books should be interesting. its great to see that its not all "We're Loyal, We're Loyal, We're Loyal, We're evil" there is some subtalty in the corruption of all the legions.

@brother hastatus: seeing that Big E was warned, or could have seen warning signs several times and dimissed them all as "your all wrong, I know what i'm doing, i'll just go back to terra and play in my room." it just shows aragance. but then again another bad rewrite by a certain GW staff and the chaos gods could be giant bunnies. ;p

but if the emperor knew what was going on, then maybe he realized the sacrifices that would have to be made?

i still say that the book introduced a plot in the first couple chapters, then danced around it for about 10, and finished it in 2 or 3. honestly, the moment they introduce the cabal, the cat's out of the bag. the thing with the hetman and the uxor betraying gramaticus at the end was a good surprise, but for what tries to be a spy novel it seem really straight forward. i read the Eisenhorn trilogy, i liked them, although the last one seemed a little forced i think, i can't remember, it's been a while. but as far as inquisitors and secrecy, nothing so far has compared to the inquisition war trilogy. it's a shame that BL couldn't keep that guy on staff, he was awesome.

and weiss, i'm not saying the book should have been lewd, but like someone said, these are characters i'm supposed to care about, but it seems like other than one or two cases, he leaves all their relationships with one another up in the air. like, it's ok they never come together, but he hints at both hetman having something for the Uxor and her caring about them, but he never explains it better. was it a motherly type thing, did she feel more for one of them than the other? even if they never were able to make something out of it, he could have turned it into a sort of tragic/fated love. i'm just saying that it felt a little incomplete. he hinted at something and then shied away from it.

I was just joking man. :D It's weird though, on one hand you want him to get straight through the story and on the other you want even more of the ten "dancing" chapters... at least, that's the way it seems to me...

Here's a few more thoughts to add to the Horus Heresy series overall. In the Dark Angels board here on the B&C, we've been discussing an interesting thing of note. The appearance of the Cabal in Legion might not be their first appearance in the series. On page 143 of Descent of Angels, the Watchers in the Dark tell Zahariel that they are members of a cabal that is devoted to thwarting the most ancient evil. Could this be the same Cabal? After rereading the entire exchange between the Watchers and Zahariel, I am leaning towards yes.

If so, then remember that at the end of the book Zahariel is sent back to Caliban with the Dark Angels who most likely end up being the Fallen. Is it possible that the Fallen are acting with the Cabal? It would certainly explain why Jervis Johnson has said that Cypher is not a Chaos Space Marine and why Cypher stirs up so much trouble.

Not sure if I remember this correctly, but isn't there a line in Legion where the Cabal states that they originally approached the Dark Angels years before, but abandoned that course of action. Am I remembering that wrong?

Not sure if I remember this correctly, but isn't there a line in Legion where the Cabal states that they originally approached the Dark Angels years before, but abandoned that course of action. Am I remembering that wrong?

Yeh thats right, but they showed little to no interest and were hard to sway. :drool:

I did not love the book. Maybe because it goes against my ideas about the AL. I think that all you know or read about the AL is lies including this book. Propaganda to confuse their foes. If the Cabal wanted talk to a primarch that might listen to them i would have tried Corax as someone who prized thought over might not that he would have sided with Horus. Also the AL did side with Horus and he did not win. That meas the Cabal was wrong... right? I don't think there is sutch a thing as a good traitor. what ever the reason given in the end it is always a bad thing to turn on your own.

The Cabal was right in that they predicted (at least to Alpharius) two possible outcomes, and one of them came to pass. The line wasn't that if the Alpha Legion joined Horus, victory was assured, it was that if they did, victory for Horus was more likely...

Sadly, GW can't write the fluff to suit the tastes of all its fans...

Hi i havent read the topic for a good reson (that is ***spoiler warning***)

i just want to know do you have to read the other HH books before Legion (i mean like do you need to, to understand the book)

as i have recently got excited about the pre-heresy Alpha Legion (look at link in sig it is long story but very funny and made me like Alpharius)

but anyway should i read the other HH books before Legion? or dont i have to

Athiair :D

No you dont need to read the other books. this can be read as a stand alone book.

I personaly felt it was well written but the plot was just utterly stooopid. the whole alp omegon thing was dumb. Nobody outside thier chapter knows, Oh please. The cabal thing was crap as ell. who can be sure wat they know or dont know. Who is to say they do not work for chaos?? If they were that good they should have gone to the EMP or some other legion that might have listented to them.

This book just showed the Alps as sneeky cowards. I see why guillaman despised the AL.

I also agree with Lord Lorne when he said "I don't think there is such a thing as a good traitor. what ever the reason given in the end it is always a bad thing to turn on your own."

i hate that the Alpha Legion seems to know from the top down about chaos, what the hell? Horus was made to seem mostly unaware of it, and he never even gave his closest officers the barest hint of its existence until it was staring them all in the face, and he lied to keep the secret i believe. but the Alpha Legion, which does nothing but keep secrets just blurts it out at a dinner party? what the hell Dan? really? is there going to be any continuity beyond the first 3 or 4 books? or are the HH novels going to be just as shot through with contradictions as everything else GW does?

AS mentioned several times the Alpha Legion has a more pragmatic view on life. instead of dismissing any ideas of magic or sorcery as superstition no matter how much evidece there is (like Horus did at first) they would investigate it further to figure it out. besides I'm sure there were plenty of worlds like nurth that they had brought into compliance and it may be that either one of these worlds was open about what they practiced or a confused AL captured the enemy and interrogated them. The AL doesn't seem above torture, after all.

• 9 months later...

Archived