Sword Bearers

El-Diablo

These are a great find, making my St. Patty's day, Midian. Great painting like usual, and the bases contrast very well with the red. Me likey. :tu:

Thanks very much. The bases were a major pain for me in the end, I really wanted to go urban with them, but it just didn't work. After spending an hour looking at some stuff in the BA sub-forum I knew I had to suck it up and go brown.

Nice. The Company badge on their knees looks exemplary. The purity seals look gorgeous, too. And the '1' on their shoulders looks pretty cool, too!

In truth, these guys are looking brilliant. I can't wait to read more about them. :)

No writing as yet im afraid, im still searching for my literary mojo. You'll be the first to know once i've found it.

Those are looking really good!

Can't wait to see more.

Great paint job and an excellent paint scheme. And a big WOW!! on the sword badge painting :tu:

Thanks!

The sword icon was pretty daunting when I first started on it, these guys are my 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th attempts at NMM. There not perfect, but I like them. It works well as a styalised icon, but im not too keen on it on weapons and armour.

Hopefully I'll be getting some wip's up tonight, even if it is bare plastic (pretty much a certainty im afraid). I'll add a link to my sig once i've started the wip thread.

Thanks all.

Hail Cousin

These are very nice, I like the use of the Dark Angels pads (I didn't want to use them on my Dark Angels =P ).

I am a sucker for doing the chest eagles and symbols in bone :devil: The red is nice and strong too, can I get your recipe?

Look forward to seeing a vehicle for your Chapter

Usi :Elite:

Hail Cousin

These are very nice, I like the use of the Dark Angels pads (I didn't want to use them on my Dark Angels =P ).

I am a sucker for doing the chest eagles and symbols in bone :D The red is nice and strong too, can I get your recipe?

Look forward to seeing a vehicle for your Chapter

Usi :Elite:

Im going to do the first squads ride as soon as i've got the first squad painted. Hopefully it'll break up the pain of painting so much power armour.

Recipe for red:

1) Heavy wetbrush of mechrite red. This leaves some shadows of black.

2) Heavy wetbrush of blood red.

3) Touch up with blood red, just to get an even coat.

4) Blacklining: 50/50 mix of black/brown ink, with 3 parts water added. (This was also used as a wash over all metallic areas)

5) Some edge-highlights of blazing orange, not too many.

6) Glaze all red areas with 1:4 red ink and water.

I've shamelessly ripped off, I mean borrowed Chaplain Desmodus red recipe.

Looking forward to it. In the mean time, WIP models might satiate my lust, too. :)

I will get that thread up tonight! I'll pm you the link when its up.

Seeing as the weather is a bit pants at the moment there probably wont be any spraying until the weekend so it'll be modelling right up until then.

Another couple of finished marines now, the plasma gun and missle launcher for squad 1. Just 3 more marines left for the squad and then its on to the rhino, which you can see here.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/El-Diablo/Sword%20Bearers/mlplasma1.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/El-Diablo/Sword%20Bearers/mlplasma2.jpg

Still no fluff yet though ;)

Usual comments welcome.

• 3 weeks later...

Warning.

Do not buy a Wii. The actions caused by playing on a Wii will kill your arms and seriously hamper you ability to paint anything more than a splodge.

Hence the lack of updates for a while.

On to the fun stuff. Apart from dullcoting, the first tactical squad for my Sword Bearers army is done.

First, Vet Sgt. Elisar.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/El-Diablo/Sword%20Bearers/SgtElisarfin.jpg

Im really pleased with this guy for a couple of reasons - it was the first time i've layered a face instead of washing and rehighlighting for about 6 years. It looked terible up until the last few layers then it all came together. Couldn't resist a couple of glazes though.

Second, the banner. Normaly I wouldn't think about adding them, but seeing as I want to take these guys to company strength, I figured I should give them another try. Ok I cheated and painted over a transfer but hey, it works.

Combat Squad 1, covering fire.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/El-Diablo/Sword%20Bearers/CombatSquad1-1.jpg

Combat Squad 2, advancing.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/El-Diablo/Sword%20Bearers/CombatSquad1.jpg

Very pleased with the poses in the squad, especially the aiming marine in Combat Squad 1.

Lastly, a (bad) pic of the full squad.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/El-Diablo/Sword%20Bearers/TacticalSquadElisar.jpg

All coments and critiques welcome.

One down, nine to go! (and a Command Squad, right?)

They're looking great, though I can't help thinking that the red on the banner seems a little patchy; it doesn't quite compare to the (fabulous) red on your armour. It might be the pictures, though. I really like Elisar's face, and the squad as a whole looks really awesome. Very cohesive, very striking. Very nice.

Two thumbs up!

Holy mother of- This is suprising, to say the least, and I'm glad I popped in here.

On to the squad. Elisar looks great, and I actually prefer the patchiness of the back banner, it makes it look rugged. The face is beautiful, do you mind giving a quick run down of the colors used? I think the squad is painted very cleanly like the rest of your models, and I like the posing, for all the marines. I think that the back banner was a good choice, as your force will benefit, from the overall look. It will tie your army together, more so than already.

Keep up the progress, and also.... will their be transport supporting the squads, besides the assault marines?

One down, nine to go! (and a Command Squad, right?)

They're looking great, though I can't help thinking that the red on the banner seems a little patchy; it doesn't quite compare to the (fabulous) red on your armour. It might be the pictures, though. I really like Elisar's face, and the squad as a whole looks really awesome. Very cohesive, very striking. Very nice.

Two thumbs up!

Thanks for the feedback Commissar.

Yep. 10 squads, 9 vehicles and a couple of extra characters until the company is done.Then there's the terminators, the t-hawk........

As for the banner, I think it may be the coat of varnish I put on it before I highlighted the black. GW's matt varnish in a pot isn't exactly great.

Holy mother of- This is suprising, to say the least, and I'm glad I popped in here.

On to the squad. Elisar looks great, and I actually prefer the patchiness of the back banner, it makes it look rugged. The face is beautiful, do you mind giving a quick run down of the colors used? I think the squad is painted very cleanly like the rest of your models, and I like the posing, for all the marines. I think that the back banner was a good choice, as your force will benefit, from the overall look. It will tie your army together, more so than already.

Keep up the progress, and also.... will their be transport supporting the squads, besides the assault marines?

Once again, cheers for the feedback Darth.

The flesh was an odd one, I started with tanned flesh, adding tallarn flesh for the first few hilights up to straight tallarn flesh, then it was a couple of stages of tallarn flesh mixed wiht white, finished with a couple of very thin brown ink glazes.

As for vehicles, i've got 1st squads rhino next on the block. Im going for rhinos for the tac and dev squads and a razorback for the command squad. I'll probably do some predators and vindicators at some point, hopefully i'll be able to field a company, plus vindicator linebreaker and predator assassin squadrons, led by the masters of the chapter for Apoc games.

Or thats the plan anyway.

Only problem is I ordered my daemon codex the other day.

questions, where did those shoulder pads with the sword come from?

and where did the special helmet come from ?(the marine to the right of the sergeant in combat squad 1)

and how did you do the bone color on the chest eagle?

and how did you do the base?

that was an awful lot of question, sorry :D

Very nice! :)

I like the fact that the assaulty combat squad is standing still, firing away, while the missile launcher CS is running crazy. Something you don't expect to se! :)

Also, the nice use of a certain red recipe makes me want to paint again. Thanks! :)

questions, where did those shoulder pads with the sword come from?

and where did the special helmet come from ?(the marine to the right of the sergeant in combat squad 1)

and how did you do the bone color on the chest eagle?

and how did you do the base?

that was an awful lot of question, sorry :P

Loads of questions-

1)The shoulder pads are from the Dark Angels sprue.

2) Ravenwing sprue, witht he DA icon on the forehead removed.

3)basecoat khemri brown, wash with brown ink, highlight khemri brown, keep adding bone to khemri brown for further higlights until you get to pure bone.

4)Wash sand with brown ink, drybrush khemri brown, then lighter with dheneb stone, scorched brown rim and static grass.

Great jobs all around. Very clean style with vibrant colors. Professional stuff. Waiting to see more!
Looks very good!

Cheers!

Very nice! :D

I like the fact that the assaulty combat squad is standing still, firing away, while the missile launcher CS is running crazy. Something you don't expect to se! :)

Also, the nice use of a certain red recipe makes me want to paint again. Thanks! :)

Having the combat squads actually doing something is one of my favourite things about the squad.

You should definatly get some more red painted, having done it myself a few times it works a treat. Im busy applying it to a rhino so we'll see how that comes out soon enough.

Thanks all for the comments so far, i've got a rhino all mechrite red'ed up so expect some sort of update in my wip thread later on today. I'll be starting work on assembling tac squad 2 in the next few days.

I used to play a warrior in Warcraft by the name Elisar. He had much more hair though. Either ways your squad looks great and I like that you are taking the extra time to make them cohesive and unique with the squad markings and such. Great job.

• 1 month later...

Its been a little while, but i've finally got something new to show off. I had a bout of crap varnish last week that resulted in a load of bloodletters going in the strip so I thought i'd carry on with a rhino that was gathering dust for a while. After seeing the new marine stuff im getting excited about power armour again. I will do more daemons, honest. Now I want to paint marines again i'll do some work on them first.

Rhino APC 'Courage' Squad 1, 3rd Co. Sword Bearers

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/El-Diablo/Sword%20Bearers/Rhino11.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/El-Diablo/Sword%20Bearers/Rhino12.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/El-Diablo/Sword%20Bearers/Rhino13.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/El-Diablo/Sword%20Bearers/Rhino14.jpg

Im going to do a chaplain next, i've not done a single figure for a while so it will be a nice break before I start on another tactical squad.

The usual C+C welcome.

Archived