Sword Bearers

El-Diablo

Awesome to see new Sword Bearers stuff. Even if it is 'just' a Rhino. But what a Rhino it is! Any chance for a picture along with the squad? :mellow:

Im glad you like it. I'll take a shot with the squad tomorrow at some point. I may even have a (bare metal) WIP of the chaplain as well, but thats if I can be bothered to comvert after work.

I really like these models, love the tactical squad and having the different stances of the combat squads, almost has the feel of one moving and the other covering. :)

Colour scheme is great and the overall feel of these boys is great, looking very much forward to seeing more. :)

At the request of Commissar Molotov - Tactical Squad Elisar, 1st squad, 3rd Company, Sword Bearers Astartes Chapter.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/El-Diablo/Sword%20Bearers/TacticalSquadElisarwithRhinoAPCCour.jpg

Not the greatest pic but it gets the idea across.

Time to start on the chaplain now, if I make any significant progress tonight i'll throw up some wip shots.

Fantastic DIY army. Love the color scheme. Red and Black were the two main colors in my very first army. A fantastic combination and a great execution. I'll be watching both this thread and your WIP thread.

*Pulls up lawn chair and popcorn*

Nice, Clean, Well Painted. Good use of the dark angels plastics, the sergeant makes me think that you don t need to always need to kit them out with loads of stuff, just a good ol power sword and bolt pistol. Nice and fluffy.

Love the red and the chest eagles.

You get a smiley: :P

After a week of stopping and starting, i've finally finished Brother Chaplain Deron.

Also, in my quest to get more background into the force, I started to write a little bit of text involving Chaplain Deron that may become the basis for a short story.

Brother Chaplain Deron strode through the sorcerous fog, silently cursing the traitors that hid behind tricks. At his heels followed a strike force from his beloved 3rd Company of the Sword Bearers, charged with clearing a force of the hated Black Legion from Ferix IV.

Emerging from the fog Deron and the 3rd came upon the traitor host, foul banners flowing on an infernal breeze. Facing his brothers, his skull helm a constant grimace of fury, Deron raised his ornate crozius and cried ‘Brothers, the Emperor has blessed us with a chance to yet again avenge our chapter and fallen brothers. Fear the enemy not, for we are the Sword in His fist’.

With this, Deron turned, and along with the rest of his brothers, felt a surge of vengeance flow through his veins.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/El-Diablo/Sword%20Bearers/ChaplainDeronFront.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/El-Diablo/Sword%20Bearers/ChaplainDeronBack.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/El-Diablo/Sword%20Bearers/ChaplainDeronSide.jpg

Usual C+C welcome.

I think he perhaps looks a little unbalanced. What with the really vibrant red on his pad-rim and kneepad (the kneepad Company symbol looks excellent, by the way) - but the muted, purple-red on the haft of his Crozius doesn't balance it, I think. One thing I once read by Commander Y mentioned "Triangle Theory" which suggested that if you had three points in the same colour, the eye would be drawn into the centre - which in this case would be the Crux Terminatus and 'FAITH' across his breastplate.

But in truth I don't know if that's just an optical illusion. Only you'll know if he looks okay in real life, and a brighter Crozius haft might hark back too much to Second Edition. Any chance of a pic with his comrades?

(Liking the fluff, by the way. Good to see the Sword Bearers taking it to the Black Legion. And 'We are the sword in His fist' is a great line. Consider 'We are the sword by His side' for another variant.)

Ask and ye shall recieve.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/El-Diablo/Sword%20Bearers/DeronFriends.jpg

I know what you mean about the balance. I was thinking about doing the other pad rim in red but for some reason I thought of Death Company do decided against it. I think the crozious head helps to form the triangle, but that might be my mind telling me things now its been brought up.

Im glad you like the text, I may even have some coherent ideas for fluff coming off the back of this.

Fantastic work Midian! I've been following your progress from the shadows (DA-style :ermm: ) but I finally decided to post and comment. Loving your Sword Bearers immensly. Great use of the (in my oppinion, on Dark Angels rather horrible) shoulder pads from the DA-sprue (by the way, if you want more of them, just PM me and I'll mail you all the ones I've got). Love the chaplain-flavour-text too, but I agree with Molotov that the shaft of the (again: fantastic) Iron-Halo-Crozius probably would look even better if it were the same bright red as the company badge and shoulder pad rim.

Keep up the good work: Only in Death Does Duty End! :)

/Angerforce.

Fantastic work Midian! I've been following your progress from the shadows (DA-style ;) ) but I finally decided to post and comment. Loving your Sword Bearers immensly. Great use of the (in my oppinion, on Dark Angels rather horrible) shoulder pads from the DA-sprue (by the way, if you want more of them, just PM me and I'll mail you all the ones I've got). Love the chaplain-flavour-text too, but I agree with Molotov that the shaft of the (again: fantastic) Iron-Halo-Crozius probably would look even better if it were the same bright red as the company badge and shoulder pad rim.

Keep up the good work: Only in Death Does Duty End! :huh:

/Angerforce.

PM sent your way brother!

Im starting to see the red problem - I think a highlight of Blood Red on the crozious could work, it'll keep the finish dark but should also improve the balance. I'll get that sorted and take a couple of new pictures.

PM me and I'll mail you all the ones I've got.

Ditto, Midian - I've got a few I can send your way, too.

Fantastic. Feels like christmas and its only June! Cheers Mol, i'll shoot you a PM in a sec.

In other news, i've added a thin highlight of blood red to the binding on the crozious hilt and I think it looks 10x better for it. The picture isn't fantastic, as its washed out some of the red but you'll just have to take my word for it.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/El-Diablo/Sword%20Bearers/ChaplainDeronFrontRedux.jpg

Today we're celebrating Midsummers Eve in Scandinavia, so it's the (almost) exact opposite of christmas actualy. :) Tonnes of good food, alcohol and a celebration of fertility and sexuality (wow that's a really Slaanesh-concept come to think about it! ;) ) so why not throw in some gifts for our international friends too? :tu: Come join in the "yuly-tide" (well, june-tide actually) spirit! :D Let's have a DA-shoulderpad-give-a-thon! Everybody join in! :lol:

Back on topic: The updated highlight looks much better, though it still looks a wee bit darker than the shoulder/knee. Maybe one more highlight? Or not. It's up to you. :)

Can we get a group pic of all the guys you've done so far while you've got the camera out?

That is much better - more balanced, I think, without making it look cartoony and gaudy.

I'm really intrigued by the white helmet on the Chaplain. It reinforces the idea that it's ahelmet that's been painted like a skull by the Space Marine himself to intimidate, but it's different from the majority of Chaplain models, which usually have bone helmets. It works really well. Very striking indeed!

Today we're celebrating Midsummers Eve in Scandinavia, so it's the (almost) exact opposite of christmas actualy. :) Tonnes of good food, alcohol and a celebration of fertility and sexuality (wow that's a really Slaanesh-concept come to think about it! ;) ) so why not throw in some gifts for our international friends too? :tu: Come join in the "yuly-tide" (well, june-tide actually) spirit! :D Let's have a DA-shoulderpad-give-a-thon! Everybody join in! :lol:

Back on topic: The updated highlight looks much better, though it still looks a wee bit darker than the shoulder/knee. Maybe one more highlight? Or not. It's up to you. :)

Can we get a group pic of all the guys you've done so far while you've got the camera out?

Im inclined to agree that it could have one more highlight, but I think it may look a little too bright, too much like patent leather (another slanneshi concept ;) ).

I'll throw up a pic at the end of the post. Its not much mind, 1 squad, a transport and the chaplain, but its a good view of where the force is going.

That is much better - more balanced, I think, without making it look cartoony and gaudy.

I'm really intrigued by the white helmet on the Chaplain. It reinforces the idea that it's ahelmet that's been painted like a skull by the Space Marine himself to intimidate, but it's different from the majority of Chaplain models, which usually have bone helmets. It works really well. Very striking indeed!

Cheers. I think the highly polished bone suits chaplains more than the dark aged bone, I would think of it as the armour been cared for more than the average.

Anyway, the (painted) strength of the Sword Bearers 3rd Company so far

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/El-Diablo/Sword%20Bearers/Swordbearers20June08.jpg

Can't believe I haven't seen this post before! Beautiful work! By the way, what blues did you use on the plasma gun for the glow? I want to do the same effect on my CSMs, but can't decide which colors to use. Keep it up, and the Chaplain is amazing!

Archived