Tiger Claws:Siege of The Palace of Thorns HUGE UPDATE 07/12

Keep it up, man. This is such an awesome project in every aspect.

I LIKE it.

Thanks, Ole! Comments like that keep me motivated when I wake up from nightmares about Chester Cheetah.

Phenomenal progress & such effort. Keep on chugging! It's all starting to come togther really well.

Thanks, again!

They look cool, but personally I prefer the original Tiger Claws scheme:

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/f/f8/Tiger_Claws_(1989).jpg

Yeah, me too malika666. That was the picture of the scheme in the White Dwarf (WD101...I'm old ;) ) that first got me into this hobby and the Tiger Claws, Badab War etc. BUT I couldn't justify painting 46 plus of that scheme. It would be a terribly hard paint scheme, and IMO would look "a bit naff" as i think only a few folks have pulled off decent Camo Marines.

Grey Death's Sons of Medusa Desert Support Squad

I plan do do at least one squad in this scheme, tho, probably a dev squad.

The way I see it, just as many of the Badab War camo schemes turned out to be variant or one time heraldry (for both loyalist and traitor forces), the Tiger Claws must have had a variant or "Dress" scheme as well.

Progress: I'm almost done with the initial painting of the Heavy & Special Weapons. Pics up soon!

• 1 month later...

Aw man, I was read this entire thing thinking that they would be done by the end of it. O well, keep it up. This is an amazing project.

O and on a side. U should seriously be a comedian dude, the tech banana is particularly hilarious. You kept this entertaining the whole time

kudos

• 2 months later...

I'm not dead!

Hello everyone. After taking an unfortunate three-ish months off for some life stuff, involving an ex and a move to a new house I am back to my beloved but alas sadly neglected Tiger Claws! When we last left our valiant hero he was painting arms...

gallery_22692_1786_48511.jpg

Well, the arms are done! Sort of. My plan was to get the arms to the stage before highlights, then the marines, and then assemble them. Then I could put the highlights on in a more realistic fashion. That is the stage I am at now. I did all the metals, and a few wash tricks for weathering, to the tacticals and then put the arms on.

gallery_22692_1786_3183.jpg

I am dealing with a new camera, and my feeble light box bit the dust during the move. Le Sigh. I think these shots are decent, not anywhere near the quality I am going for, but I think my exposure compensation is set wrong. Meh.

gallery_22692_1786_22812.jpg

What's left to do? I am going to wash correct for the newly applied arms, fill in a few details, and then start highlighting these dudes with a brighter orange. Then they'll get Vallejo "Andrea Blue" OSL for the eyes, power swords, and plasma stuff. Meanwhile I am going to try to master the new camera, and build a new light box. Then when all that is done, They'll get the weathering treatment with some powders, paint chips, etc.

gallery_22692_1786_26737.jpg

gallery_22692_1786_50463.jpg

No, I haven't even STARTED on the backpacks yet. Lame.

The boys hanging about:

gallery_22692_1786_24432.jpg

and finally, one more Tactical squad waiting for arms and metal bits:

gallery_22692_1786_8233.jpg

So the short version is: Hello, I'm Back.

Comments, Compliments, or Criticism always appreciated! Yes, they are bowlegged. But they're TALL!

Started work on the Lufgt Huron "Counts as Pedro" model. I am using the Jump Pack Chaplain as a base, because if you look closely, the Tyrant of Badab is wearing a nearly identical suit of armor, easily modifiable. Also, the model is HUGE!

gallery_22692_1786_7872.jpg

So far i've just hacked the head and some random purity seals etc off, but he will get a power axe and a pre-corruption Iron Halo on his backpack like Huron's.

Also, here are some random pics from my LHS of another army joining the illustrious "Cult of Orange": The Chapter of the "Purging Flame and Cleansing Tide"

gallery_22692_1786_59219.jpg

gallery_22692_1786_15530.jpg

We now officially have more Ultras and Cheetos Marines than anywhere else in the state, I reckon.

I vote for black tiger stripes on the greaves at least.

Nice to see you back finally.

I tried this on the test marine, painting a greave black, and then striping it. It came out really lame looking, but I am going to try again with a different stripe pattern as I want to use it for squad designation. Thanks!

What about the techmarine?

He's still around, though unless a painting contest comes up any time soon, the Tech Banana and Huron will probably be painted last.

Gonna prime some backpacks today, and I should get about an hour of work in on the last Tactical squad!

i think you could do something simple+subtle, like :

http://h.imagehost.org/0601/Guys.jpg

just paint sloppy trinagles with a yellower-color and fill in a little bit behind (letting the edge of the form show) with a slightly red-browner color. :)

No no, I meant orange with black stripes.

Yeah, That's the effect I got, i just did it orange over black. This guy has the test version.

gallery_22692_1786_4802.jpg

...which i wasn't too keen on.

i think you could do something simple+subtle, like :

just paint sloppy trinagles with a yellower-color and fill in a little bit behind (letting the edge of the form show) with a slightly red-browner color. ^_^

Those are actually pretty sweet looking! I may do something similar looking, trying to get the effect from the White Dwarf illustrations without being too...umm....lame. Thanks Iron Phoenix!

gallery_22692_1786_31925.jpg

Eight more tactical marines join the fray! Now, apart from two heavy weapons awaiting backpacks, my tactical marines are ready for the final few stages of highlights, OSL, and weathering. Whew. Took me long enough!

gallery_22692_1786_21500.jpg

I'm pleased with my progress after three months off, though yesterday my painting hand tried to rebel against me. I smacked it around some. I'm going to do the rest of the work on these fellas assembly line style, so there should be some updates soon. Thanks for looking!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

the drawn picture picture is actually the exact opposite of my space marines, the emperors chosen xD

i have black with orange shoulder pads, and the vent on their helmets (those that doens't have vents on top have an orange stripe instead)

some with orange shoulder pads etc etc. ill post some pics when i come home from my mothers

• 1 year later...

NNNNNNNNNNNEEEEEEEEECCCCCCRRRRRRROOOOOOO!!!

Hello all!

Long time, no see. My absense from these hallowed halls is squarely the blame of Warm///PURGED///ordes , Warh///PURGED///ntasy, and Co///PURGED///ege. But look what I got!

gallery_22692_1786_18515.jpg

I've been waiting patiently for both the financial opportunity and the time to purchase and employ these fantastic books. With no excuses before me, and the urging of my club peers, I'm back at it! I didn't work on my Tiger Claws for a full year while painting some competition pieces, some Space Hulk guys, a Dark Elf Fantasy army etc...

Here are the tasks ahead:

Finish conversion of power-armored Lufgt Huron counts as Pedro Kantor

Paint termies.

Finish detailing of 40 Marines (highlighting, emblems, etc.) including Sternguard.

Paint 3 Vindicators.

Build and paint a Librarian.

My tentative goal for all of this is September. We shall see.

Wow.

So the Badab War Imperial Armour books are flat out amazing!

But now I'm torn...in the books, while mentioning the Tiger Claws they have retconned the fluff to state that the Astral Claws were never known as the Tiger Claws. Instead they were joined together in a secret attempt to bolster the Astral Claws ranks while saving the doomed orange marines. I have steadfastly refused to give in to the retcon, claiming "Old Grognard" status and clutching my copy of White Dwarf #101 near to my chest. The strange thing is that the Red Corsairs armour definitely gives a nod to the Tiger Claws scheme...so if the Astral Claws were silver...I dunno, I think they just couldn't justify a whole book of Orange Marines. Sissies.

But....

Astral Claws are pretty cool.

But...

I'm not repainting my Cheetos.

What do you guys think I should do? If I include some of the new scheme intermixed in my army I think it would look sloppy and hodgepodge. But I definitely want to expand the force with the Tyrant's Legion units and Apocalypse Formations. Then there's this guy:

gallery_22692_1786_918767.jpg

Which I am entertaining the notion of using as my scheme for my sternguard and/or termies. May also make my Vindicators look pretty sharp, too - with a black nose fading to orange.

So what do you think? Put my foot down to the retcon, or give in in some degree? And to what degree?