Tiger Claws:Siege of The Palace of Thorns HUGE UPDATE 07/12

clutching my copy of White Dwarf #101 near to my chest.

I laughed so hard when I read that.

In all seriousness though, use the new scheme to represent some Sternguard, I'm sure they would work excellent in conjunction with the rest of your army, and you get a bit of the new, with the old.

I'd say give in to a degree - having sternguard and veterans in general in the new Tiger Claws colours would add a liitle variety and yet allow you to keep one foot in the old fluff and one in the new. It might not entirely satisfy your inner 'Old Grognard' but that's price you'll pay if you wish to cling to both the old and the new.

• 1 year later...

Cheers B&C! I have decided to stop prefacing all of these necros with excuses. So there!

You will just have to guess why it takes me years between updates. Or stalk me on other forums. Ewww.

Anyhoo, I have decided to mix the new Astral Claws scheme in with my cheetos, and I have a few cool ideas for representing Tiger Claws vehicles that have been repainted silver.

Here are some crappy cel phone pics. Finished freehand tactical arrows and red Xs here and there, and you can't tell, but OSL has been added to the backpacks.

gallery_22692_1786_45859.jpg

gallery_22692_1786_9788.jpg

gallery_22692_1786_81180.jpg

gallery_22692_1786_56045.jpg

Took the opportunity to get some finecast bits to more easily convert my Power Armor Huron, and I'll be picking up the Termie version as well. Next up, highlighting!

The plan right now is:

New "Black Sunburst" style Tiger Claws scheme on the Termies

Astral Claws Scheme on the Sternguard.

Highlighting and weathering

Source lighting.

These are fantastic! I never really thought orange could look gritty!

Thanks brother!

I'm going to try to get better pics up of the tactical arrows and OSL from the backpack lights soon.

Thanks for looking, all.

• 1 month later...

Well, hello there! DB here, your glacial painting, multi edition project dragging, Cult of Orange Emmisary.

So...this happened!

gallery_22692_1786_76837.jpg

And the gears got turning. I had wanted to figure out a way to bring the army in line with the new IA 9 & 10 background, without breaking out a silver spraycan and painting over my cheetos. After wracking my brain for a while and looking at the new VI edition allies rules, I decided to throw some "counts as" blood angels in the mix to make the force play on the tabletop the way Cityfight and the Badab War books portrayed the (hurmwhatever)Claws.

So, logically, I broke out a silver spraycan and painted over the cheetos. Sort of.

This is a test batch on some Hammernators, using salt weathering.

gallery_22692_1786_27430.jpg

I brushed water on the dudes, and sprinkled some finely crushed table salt on them. I let that dry, and then hit them with Army Painter Plate Mail Spray in a can.

gallery_22692_1786_65418.jpg

Then using a toothbrush, some water, and the backside of an exacto blade, I carefully flaked off the salt, exposing the paint beneath. This takes some fiddling and getting used to.

gallery_22692_1786_6460.jpg

gallery_22692_1786_15391.jpg

gallery_22692_1786_75895.jpg

In some cases, like the sarge, I added a layer of black spray in between the orange and silver, for added effect, and then used a fine sanding stick to wear the edges of the armor and various places on the plates.

gallery_22692_1786_96074.jpg

gallery_22692_1786_46996.jpg

The sinister heresy of the Tiger Claws was to bolster the ranks of the Astral Claws in secret. During the Seige of the Palace of Thorns, all illusions of decorum were thrown out in the intense close quarters battles. Dude, your, umm...heresy is showing.

gallery_22692_1786_33166.jpg

I finally started highlighting! Hooray!

"Gee, DB, that only took you four years. Doghouse could have truescaled the entire Ultramarines Chapter in that time."

Pheh, get out of my yard, damn kids.

gallery_22692_1786_20245.jpg

First five guys are almost done with highlights. Seventh Edition, here I come! It doesn't help that I've been blogging this project so long that all of the original subscribers have grown up, quit 40k, come back to 40k later in life, and then grown old and died. The circle of life...

gallery_22692_1786_30014.jpg

Some better pics of the OSL'ed backpacks, as promised.

gallery_22692_1786_20915.jpg

gallery_22692_1786_62024.jpg

gallery_22692_1786_16709.jpg

gallery_22692_1786_50427.jpg

And here is my test camo on the Counts as Chronus Vindicator...Garish, yes, but chock full of Rogue Trader-y goodness and cheezy flavor!

gallery_22692_1786_81712.jpg

So, Sixth Edition is here, and I need some flyers, which seems Tiger Claw-Esque...but I want to modify the Stormtalon kit to make it look like a Rogue Trader era version would look if such a thing had existed? Any suggestions?

As always, C&C welcome and appreciated, and thanks for looking. See you soon?

Okay, nobody believes that.

See you eventually, with some Death Company Astral Claws!

-DB

I finally started highlighting! Hooray!

"Gee, DB, that only took you four years. Doghouse could have truescaled the entire Ultramarines Chapter in that time."

Pheh, get out of my yard, damn kids.

BIG laughs hehehe...well done on the heresy cover up, very original - well done!!

you could make it so that your marines have the original tiger claws scheme, and then the scheme in IA:9 was used when the tiger claws were beginning to be joined with the astral claws, but still operated as an independent force.

after all, the tiger claws last captain, Vetala, had just gone MiA on terra, and the inquisition are looking for the rest of the orange marines. what better way to disguise yourselves than hiding with your cousins the astral claws and taking on a (temporary) new colour scheme?

• 2 weeks later...
Just took a quick look thru and I definitely am liking that Orange.

I'm also really liking your salt weathering on the Astral Claw Hammernators!

Keep it up mate.

Ooooh. Shiny use of paint flakiness. Well done.
BIG laughs hehehe...well done on the heresy cover up, very original - well done!!
Very nice. Keep up the good work.

Thanks Brothers! They are coming along. I can almost visualize the whole force completed now. I just don't know whether or not to do Stormtalons in silver or orange...

Love the Tiger Claws. You don't see them around much. The Forgeworld Huron would look amazing in orange!

I agree, although I think I would be pounced on by fellow fluff nuts!

you could make it so that your marines have the original tiger claws scheme, and then the scheme in IA:9 was used when the tiger claws were beginning to be joined with the astral claws, but still operated as an independent force.

after all, the tiger claws last captain, Vetala, had just gone MiA on terra, and the inquisition are looking for the rest of the orange marines. what better way to disguise yourselves than hiding with your cousins the astral claws and taking on a (temporary) new colour scheme?

I imagine that with the newly retconned fluff, the Tiger Claws would have just repainted their armour, and those that hadn't would be those marines who had been kept in reserve companies (perhaps waiting in the Palace), or have been veterans too proud to repaint. Thinking about the whole thing gives me a headache! There is still the tiger camo scheme to address! Games Workshop, why do you hate me?

The Tyrant is pleased. You do not die this day. Carry on.

:(

Ha ha, thanks O Great Tyrant, your benevolence knows no bounds.

Can I borrow the van? ;)

The OSL light on the side of that meltagun is one of the best ideas in the world, any chance of some more shots of it?

Errrrrrmmmm......

gallery_22692_1786_30014.jpg

OSL light? I think that is a reflection of my photo light off of the Dullcote. I hadn't finished the meltagun yet! But if it is one of the best ideas in the world, congratulations, it was YOUR idea. :( Consider it stolen, I will paint up a matching effect, if i understand what I think you are asking, and then get you some more shots of it. Ha ha!