Raptor Jump packs

evolved23

Is it just me or do the raptor jump packs look really like they have giant organs on their backs. I've just started collecting a Night Lords force and I remember the bat type wing Raptors and it got me thinkin on how terrible these "new" ones look. Anyone agree?

I'm not a fan of the raptor models either. I think a nice box of plastics are desperately needed, but I don't think that will solve the goofy jump pack problem.

The possessed box has two winged packs. You could use them on CSM bodies or the raptor bodies.

I like the new raptor back packs, but they are pretty heavy. I don't like the raptor models at all or the previous ones either. New plastics with helmet and feet/ leg options would be great.

Ardus.

I may be among the few who likes the raptor models.. the models are magnificent if you ask me.

but then, I also hate the model for being so easy to fall and chip my painting. that smoke trails is not needed at all. what it do is making them harder to stand (being metal and all) and that sucks.

As soon as I can, I'm ordering 20 of the new raptor packs of that US Bits side (BWB, or whomever has bought them this month), and putting them on the plastic assault marines, with nickels underneath their bases.

I love the new raptor packs, I love the raptor shoulder pads and raptor helmets, but I don't like the rest of the model, and I don't like the very, very fragile between the toe and the flame.

Cheers,

Lawrence.

heh, i love the Night Lords so i like both the new and old models. For the new model, it was the picture in the 3.5 codex that sold it for me. The one with the Raptor spearing an Imperial Guardsman through the chest with his talon feet. Yeah...that was cool. Course, i gave up on the army after buying three squads of raptors and having to sell organs to meet the price! yeesh. No thanks.

So i like either. but plastics of ANY kind would be most welcome. Who knows? i might just be convinced to play as Chaos filth.

I agree w/ evolved, I don't like the new raptors. They jump packs look like public bathroom hand dryers :huh: . Don't care much for ther rest of the models eather.

The old batwing raptors are ok but not great but they are better then the new ones so that's what I have.

I like both raptors models, the old and the 3.5/4th ed ones, and I have one squad of each.

Not crazy about the actual ones feet though... at first I plain hate the whole 4th ed raptors, but with time, I started to like them.

I have to add weight to the base of the actual raptors, but it was easy : I have the habit of collecting all the metal leftovers from cutting and filling the minis, and I have a lot of lead leftovers from historic model, so, I fill the base with lead and used that same lead "dust" and lead bits (as debris) mixed in the sand to decorate the base.

An IW player of my gaming group just used assault marines with spiky bits and chains added.

And a smurf player of the group used an actual raptor pack on his jumping chappy for the gothic feeling.

My old raptors are painted in their own scheme, green marble effect over a black background, as they are mercs, not affiliated with any of my chaos legions armies.The actual ones, are painted in WE colours, they looks great in dark red shades and brass triming and icons.

I love the clawed feet of the new ones, the shoulder pads, the helmets, the legs and the back packs - although the RT era jump packs also looks good.

As others have mentioned, the smoke/flame trail and the center of gravity is the downfall of the new sculpts.

As you can see, I had to mount them on larger bases to keep them from tipping over. Even then, they sometimes fall over. :)

gallery_11038_549_114735.jpg

I painted mine in the undivided scheme as they were intended to be used in an all-Raptor cult list.

I also have 2 squads of the old style Raptors but, the paintjob on them is downright horrible - so they are safely hidden away. ;)

Nowadays I proxy my Raptors (until I get around to converting my own).

Like it's already been said, I also convert my raptors from the plastic assault marines, but not because I dislike the models. In fact, I quite like the raptor models, I just prefer plastics and converting my own.

Though I will point out that I really dislike the new "Raptor Lord". He's far too static, looks like a git, and what's the deal with him dragging that icon around?! Doesn't look like he can really jump very well with that thing in tow.

Though I will point out that I really dislike the new "Raptor Lord". He's far too static, looks like a git, and what's the deal with him dragging that icon around?! Doesn't look like he can really jump very well with that thing in tow.

Yeah... The new raptor Lord was kinda like a dissapointment in the new chaos models, compared with the awesome termies and termie lord.

Even when I thought it was a butt ugly model I bought one just to have some variety, and maybe use him as asp champion in another raptor squad, to have a different looking asp champ.

Once I got it in my hand it started to look better than in the pics... and I can almost say I like him now, it has a nice "vampire feeling". All that stuff with the chain and dragging icon still looks clumsy though.

I´ll paint mine in The Purge scheme with a nice greyish pale face and see how it cames out.

#Edit : The raptors and his Ac looks like swooping down over a target /pray while the new raptor lors looks like he is just lifting off, I think that´s the reason he looks a bit static.

Archived