DIY CSM's or Legion CSM's with the new dex?

Brother Evar

I was just crunching endless armlists and came to a realization- the spark of collecting a new legion based CSM army has died within me. The only thing that seperates my army from another is the fluff, paint scheme and conversions. They all play practicaly the same. I wrote a list with an undivided/ slanessh mix for a BL force then thought how overdone it all was. I then thought DIY renegade. At least then I could be totally diffrent with my fluff, conversions and paint scheme. Sure I would still have a samey list but at least I would have a unique army and not be "just another Legion player". Don't get me wrong I love the legions but I just can't seem to adjust to how they were before and how they are now. For me the DIY aspect takes a lot of the sting out of the new dex. I see a lot of chaos players were angry with the dex, so was I initialy but now I realize I am just more motivated to collect CSM's going the DIY route. I already am writing fluff and my DIY CSM's are going to be a break away group from a DIY loyalist chapter I am working on.

I probably am on SM burnout but the DIY thing has really got me motivated to keep playing marines. So thats my reasoning for DIY chaos, just wanted to see how others felt about this.

It's what I did, for similar reasons. I initially was going to expand my Night Lords and Death Guard, but I just didn't feel like I could do it very well with the current codex, whereas I did feel like I could make a warband that was closer to the Imperial space marine way of doing things... And I do like what I've come up with. But that doesn't change that fact that we should be able to do the Legions some justice.

DIY, renegades, chaos legions.....they are really all the same now except the paint schemes, arn't they.

I used the 3.0 "codex" and 3.5 for years in scores of games and never got bored. I've played @ 10 games with this dex and am totally bored already. I am pretty unmotivated to do anything with chaos.

I bought a bunch of nids to add to a nid army I started years ago and shelved b/c I always wanted to use my fav...BL.

But to better answer you Q, if I "WERE" going to start a new chaos army now, it would probably be a DIY Tz heavy army with a DIY paint scheme. But like I say, all of chaos seems pretty boring and bla now. :huh:

Well, the current situation of my chaos forces under the gavdex is :

- BL : Small expansion.

* Adding two squads of NM and expanding the termie unit from 6 to 10 guys, old metal termie Lord to be used as termie asp champ.

- WE : Drastic change/expansion.

* All demons bye-bye.

* New WE Lord model added, with intention to use the Bloodfeeder... (just waiting to see how much take to kill himself)

* One unit of 3 Oblits added : two oblits converted to look khornate, the 3rd in WIP, based on a techmarine convertion (dark magus)

* rhinos added

* Dakka pred added

* plans to include a possessed vindicator (Kannon of Khorne)

* Chosen unit with 2x meltas, 2x flames and PF guy added.

* Khârn. (but not for all games)

* Plans for a new DP convertion.

* 5 men termie units : HF, 2x PF, 1 combi-flamer, 3x Dual-LCs. LR dedicated transport.

- AL & WB : Shelved until proper list came out.

- New army : Plans to put together a rag-tag renegade army including the color schemes I like the most from the new dex.

* The Purge : 10 guys havok/chosen unit ready : 2x meltas, 2x flames, PF champ, IoN.

* The Purge Raptor Lord : new model, WIP.

* Plans to include nurgle units in The Cleaved scheme and some undivided ones in the Dark Brotherhood colors.

Also working in two TSons units, this could be the starting of a new Tz army, or, just two units to mix in my BL force.

With me, it was the opposite: In 3.5, I'd been working on a totally converted army based around the principle of a Word Bearers crusade that had taken on Black Templar iconography and who saw the Emperor as a pure manifestation of Chaos Undivided. It was the Penitent Crusade of St. Josmane. The core of my army was the Swords of the Emperor - a unit of Chosen with power weapons and daemonic armour that were modeled with archaic armour, swords, and shields. It also included unit Champions equipped with much the same and the same upgrades.

Then, after my army was complete and in the process of being painted, Chaos: Renegades came out and totally screwed up the army. Gone went all my Champions and my Chosen. All my conversions.

Sure, I could use "counts as" for them, but meh. Screw that. I could throw in Eldar and it'd still work for "counts as".

So I went the other route: I picked up Iron Warriors. The different Cult troop options seemed like good incentive for Iron Warriors-esque conversions. It works well enough for me, and has let me incorporate my Traitor Guard into my Apocalypse army (since there's no plans for a Lost and the Damned army list...bloody motherloving GW!) as support for my siege battery-style Iron Warriors.

So....yeah. I'm looking forward to the Legions books because, hopefully, they'll give me back what I lost and let me field my Alpha Legion as Alpha Legion again instead of traitor Marines!

i had no problem coming up with a D.I.Y. legion, it's fun,charasmatic,challenging to model and enjoyable to paint :o

and not a lash prince in sight :P

it can be done by just grabbing a small bit of fluff/story you like and using it to tailor your force into something that is playable yet out of the ordinary,limit yourself if you have to and build on the strengths from there. it's been almost a year now since i decided to build my Fabius Bile force and it's the most fun i've had playing chaos (after going through Black legion,Nightlords and Iron Warriors).

here is a little snippet of how i make my army different but intresting.................

In larger points games i use huron along side fabius, he's modelled as a dark adept of the traitor mechanicus, his servo arm counts as his powerfist while a converted arm ( the result of experimenting with the obliterator virus) counts as the heavy flamer part, he also has a chaos servo-skull with horns to act as the hamadrya and he still carries his corupted AM power axe.

I'm going to be building up my New World Eaters with 40 Chaos Storm Troopers.

They are EW CSM, two meltas per squad. They are to be all black and gold, all wielding two-handed boltguns, all with the same military posture. I may paint their shoulder pads red. I want to use Berzerker bunny heads (to tie into my other 30 berzerkers) again painted black/gold. I already have the 4 rhinos (all black/gold), and one Chaos Thunderhawk (repaint WE red/gold).

Archived