how to beat eldar?

Ouch, eldar are really tough on Marine Equivalent armies, so the first thing you need to do is probably get used to losing a lot, especially if he is a 10 year vet. That may sound harsh, but what I'm really saying is don't give up even if you can never beat him at first because Eldar really are a pain to marines. Anyway, as Mortis said you should post what units he fields since Eldar are pretty diverse different types of lists require different tactics/priorities.

I can give you a few basic tips with out knowing what you or your brother has.

- don't take lots of xtras and expensive stuff, you want lots of bodies on the field b/c eldar can kill them some marines.

- go right at them and get into hth ASAP, use terrain to block LOS to your rinos and pop smk when there is no terrain.

- eldar don't like it when you fry them w/ flamers

- hvy bolter havoc squads are good vs eldar, if you want you can add an auto cannon or two, then the squad is good at taking down skimmers too.

- keep mission objectives in mind and plan for them turns in advance.

- don't get too frustrated if it takes some time to start winning, remember you brother has 10 yrs experience on you.

- there is also a tactia section on this site, check that out too, for basic tactic and tactic vs eldar specificly

:D good luck, hope this helps.

Don't bother trying to win by objective against Eldar: they will eat you, and they'll probably steal your minis :D

As both an Eldar and a Chaos player I can safely say that Eldar hate anything that can negate or rival their mobility. Deep striking, Land Raider rushing, and jump infantry tend to piss the royal hell out of them. Such tactics should be considered.

And dont forget Death Guard on bikes :) T6 hehehee

By ya, Eldar were my fav army and still have a week point for them in my heart. If someone was mobile it throws everything off, the more mobility you have the better since it will mean one can not corner squads. Also try and keep things were they can support other units, dont leave squads out on their own. Staying hidden as you advance helps also, fire dragons need to be your highest priority (unless there is a wraight lord) then they are close to eachother.

Power fists are nice but becuase of T3 the eldar for the most part will be a waist of points, power weapons to counter there 4+ or 3+ saves will help. HP and Auto Cannons are nice too (auto is nicer for the wraight lords high T).

If he is using large squads of guardians and he likes to group them up, templates (flamers) are nice, if he does not then get in CC with them and rip them up :).

Oh he doesn't field Dark Reapers? That un-complicates matters by a bit. Anyway predators may not be the best idea since Bright Lances will glance your front armor on 4's meaning that you stand a good chance at losing it very early in the game, and don't even get me started on fire dragons if they get close. Anyway, as someone before me said, try to get close to them by using cover and engage them in hand to hand.

Banshees can be tricky as their come kitted with power-weapons, which is why I usually shoot them with my ordnance, but failing that you could also try swamping them with something like summoned demons since they only have an invulnerable save anyway (nurglings used to be great at this, but alas our codex got "fixed" ASPCA style). As for his falcon, it's probably upgraded to be basically indestructible so you might as well ignore it unless there are no other large targets of opportunity about.

Also, you probably want more than just 2 marines squads as eldar can kill 20 marines quite quickly, and you should probably bring some rhinos for extra mobility, or at least cheap cover once they get popped.

Archived