"Squad Commad" for the Nintendo DS

Marek Grimfang

In terms of the difference, the DS version is much easier to use as you get a map view as well as a view of your men so the game is more playable, also there are a lot of people on the DS online lobbies, also i prefer the DS itself to hold and use over the PSP.

I like it. Some of the missions are more fun than others, of course. Multiplayer's not bad, you get a mix of Tactical Marines, Termies, and Land Speeders (or the Chaos equivalent); it'd be better if you could choose your own units, but other than that it's kind of fun. (You can do the Download Multi thing with a friend, too, though with that you only get 1 map and only can use Tac Marines if I remember correctly.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It really means that you will play it for a short period of time when you are perhaps sitting on the bus or waiting for your TV program to come on. It is not a game that gets you really engrossed and makes you feel as if you have to play. May sound a bit silly for a casual game system such as the DS but some games have you playing for hours while others get very stiff after 10mins.

I personally thought Command Squad was really boring and tedius - so much infact I gave up on it and have not touched it since. It would have been better if it was something akin to Advance Wars or Age of Empires. Nice game mechanics with mouth watering graphics.

Multiplayer is a great deal of fun, although if your cautious its very hard to lose, especially as chaos as you can just swarm with bloodletters if you group behind cover, they can wipe out an entire marine team with no issues, but if the marine player plays intelligently he will just hold back and blow your cover out of the way, its quite nicely balanced if your against a really smart opponent and you yourself are playing smart.

But unlike any other game the campaign really does prepare you for multi, it teaches you how to be cautious.

I played on DS and I truly enjoyed it. For those bored with RTS, it's a very relaxing game, although sometimes very difficult : as in 40K, any movement error can bring you to death very quickly...

The game is interesting as it is a ' squad level 'game. No big forces, only commando like ops. Every new level you get extra unit and/or extra weapon. So you really want to go ahead just to see what will be next...

Clearly, it's a minor game (DS is not 360), but really well done and, I repeat, I really enjoyed it. Hope for a sequel with more choices <_<

• 1 month later...

I fully recommend it for the DS, excellent game, a little too short and don't expect anything in the way of a plot, but the gameplay, graphics, sound effects are excellent.

Haven't played the PSP version yet, but I can imagine slightly better graphics, and a terrible interface copared to the DS's stylus and touch screen.

• 2 weeks later...

I have heard that it is awful for the DS, that controlling the game with the stylus is much worse than controlling the game with the PSP. I own the PSP version and a friend of mine in my gaming club owns the DS version.

That said...the game has such limited replay value that I couldn't recommend it. The single-player campaign is ridiculously-short. The game is not very forgiving - make mistakes and your squad is quickly whittled-down to nothing. However, once you play a mission once you learn where the Chaos forces are and can plan accordingly, at which point the game becomes too easy.

Chaos forces will linger at the every edge of your sight range, at which point you can take long-range shots and then fade back just out of their LOS such that they often don't come after you to shoot at you. The AI is quite stupid, in general, and not terribly challenging. The times I found myself failing the mission came simply from not knowing where the enemy was and getting too overzealous, and underestimating how far the enemy could move before shooting.

I generally would only make that mistake once per board, however.

Multiplayer is alright...when you can find a match. I have wireless high-speed at home and I look for games, but cannot always find them. A lot of people drop right out of the match after you kill two of their units and you've lost none because the game can very well be over at that point.

It's something I would recommend borrowing, and then see if it is worth it to purchase. Either that, or find a cheap, used copy such that your monetary risk is as low as possible. :)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
its ok, you never get anything verry kewl (i.e. Dreadnaught, or anything heavy for that matter) other than that its Almost completly true to the tabletop (looking at you DOW-two squads of terms, COME ON!)

err... Wrong? I've only played 7 levels and I've already used most of the units from C:SM. And lets not even go on about Chaos. Lets just say OBLITERATORS AND DEFILERS.

Enough said.

Archived