Descent of Angels

Brother Asmanael

I have not been an avid reader of the Horus Heresy books. They irritate me.

Descent of angels did something criminal to the Dark angels history as it was the only book to emasculate a Primarch. Lion'el Johnsons achievements were emulated by Zahariel proving that a single human (albeit a psyker) could achieve the same feats as a primarch. (That in fact that there are times when a primarchs might is not enough and he must rely on others who can do things he cannot.) This has the two-fold effect of making his actions in the book seems egotistical nay petty and lessening his presence overall. A number of little details were included in a vain attempt to expand upon his abilities but very, very little was directly made of his contributions. He is almost never described doing anything alone despite also being depicted as always apart. There are many contradictions in the book. (Another notable one being the statement that no two monsters of calaban are the same.)

More food for the fire though. At Games day Gav Thorpe hinted that he had a Dark angel story covering some of their exploits in the heresy period. (Not a horus heresy book or full novel but a short story/novella.) We might see Astellan again. (Is there any way to put Gav in room 42?)

Normally wouldn't raise such an old thread, but I figured it was better than starting a new one on the same topic.

I just finished Descent of Angels.

I have played Dark Angels for over 15 years, amassing a force of over 700 Dark Angel models. (not including vehicles)

I've always been a big fan of their legend, iconography and backstory.

The portrayal of the Dark Angels in Scanlon's novel (particularly the Lion, Luther, Zahariel and his friends) was so weak and miserable that I am now considering stripping down all of my models and cutting off the Dark Angels iconography.

The only characters in the whole book I considered worthwhile were the knight Sir Amadis, and the Watchers in the Dark

Is Angels of Darkness any better?

Angels of Darkness is in my personal opinion a great novel, it gives you many things to think about, it tells the fall of caliban and it gives the ultimate question for a dark angel to ask themselves at the end of the novel. In general it splits people straight from the middle, some say that it's genious, some say the opposite. Personally I didn't find anything major contradicting to our background, and have to say astelan was magnificently written 'til the end.

If you want to believe the fallen, it's up to you, for his words are tempting and many have been swayed in his words that I know of who've read the book.

Personally Descent of Angels wasn't "my cup of tea" so to speak, i'll stick with "Deathwing" and "Angels of Darkness" for now 'til they finally start to work on more "proper" novels for us, too few of them right now in my opinion.

Angels of Darkness is an excellent book, but too many people lap up the rantings of a demented Fallen as gospel...

Descent of Angels sucked. Scanlon couldn't write to save him own hide. The characters are shallower than a spit stain, the story is like a poor Hollywood movie, and the whole "mystery" is no real mystery. And it makes you wonder if perhaps Scanlon thinks Astelan spoke the truth when he ranted to justify his actions.

I posted this in another discussion of the Descent of Angels. A hypothesis about why the Caliban were sent home and not the Terrans.

My point of view was that since Chaos was on Caliban and that the Order had lived with Chaos and fought it. There was a possibility that opened up a door that all who lived on Caliban could have a taint of Chaos. (The Lion can also fit into this category and I'm sure Luther latched on to it as he spoke his oratory.) Though the counter argument was that the Order actually had the most experience in fighting Chaos of all Marines at that time in history.

I wish I can remember the second theory as it was quite good as well.

The ending was abrupt and it left a horrific cliffhanger that left far more questions than it answered and, in a way, that is the Dark Angel Modus Operandi. It has already been said that there will be a second book about the Dark Angels so we will have to wait or hypothesize like a bunch of quarreling Inquisitors.

+EDIT+ Found them and I'll Repost mine

Being a rather fluff minded person, I liked the book and the additional background for the DA. I am still confused by the fact that the Caliban DA were sent home and not the Terran DA. I would think the Lion trusted his own more so than some new strangers especially someone like Zarahiel who shares several common experiences.

My answer, the Terran DA told the Lion about Chaos, the Immaterium and the Taint. Then when it came time for the battle with the beast of Chaos in the final battle, the Caliban DA saw just another Great Beast to hunt while the Terran DA saw it as something greater, nastier and far more subtle. A difference in mindset that the Lion would easily pick up and note. The Knights of Lupus embraced the Great Beasts as they felt defined by them. The Lion could easily say the same for the Caliban DA, they are defined by the beasts of Chaos. Rather than let the Caliban DA fall to the same trap as the Knights of Lupus, the Lion shields them and protects them by placing them on the only world the Lion knows to be completely clean of the beasts of Chaos - Caliban.

This is what would lead to the Great Fall of the Dark Angels. The Caliban DA feel they are equal to the Terran DA and are eager to prove it, but the Lion noted that the Caliban DA have had far more exposure to the Winds of Chaos and were a risk even though many had acquired invaluable experience on fighting the beasts of Chaos.

and here is ODM's quote

Interesting theory Belial. I have a different take.

I see the Lion feeling held back by the Caliban connection. He's known all along he was too big for the little stage he was on, but while he was there, he surrounded himself with the best it could offer. Now, suddenly, his potential is unlimited, he has a Legion of true supersoldiers who worship him, and he doesn't need anyone who new him as a man, instead of a Primarch with him. Luthor is the epitome of this, even more so because he can't undergo the surgery.

I also have a different theory in regards to why the Librarians are sent back. The lion, for the first time in his life, isn't the savior. He's relegated to sitting and watching (and fuming) on the sidelines while someone else saves the day, and that doesn't sit well with him. He doesn't want anyone there who can outshine him, anywhere. He doesn't want anyone who can compete in an arena where he can't.

Here's my analogy. The Lion is a brilliant athlete stuck in some backwater town. He's the big man on campus, everybody loves him him, and although he feels he's destined for greatness, the small town is all he knows. However, all of a sudden he's discovered by an agent from the outside world, and everything opens up to him. Those small town friends can no longer compete, they're holding him back from reaching his full potential. And one of them shows him up publicly, even by mistake, that's it. The old ties are cut.

Descent of Angels review *LOTS OF SPOILERS*, A DA fan's thoughts on the latest HH novel

Well, going against the flow here I know, but I personally thought that Descent of Angels was fantastic! In my own opinion, the books up to "Imperium" are good reference material, expertly written. The rest of the book is pretty much just a good story, with some good hints and intrigue mixed in, whilst at the end of the book, (the part most of you are criticising) the story really gets interesting. To be honest, when I reached the end of the book, I did think,"Well, that was rather sudden." However, looking back, I can see that the ending of the book sets the scene for another, whist still throwing your thoughts to more heretical regions. Was it really The Lion that turned to Chaos, not Luther? Why would The Lion have less devoted men (Nemiel) to the Imperium in his Honour Guard, whilst those that were truly dedicated to the Dark Angels cause go back away from the fighting. What were The Lions thoughts when Zahariel saw him looking at him when he was boarding the shuttle? Like almost everything related to the Dark Angels, one must delve deeper than the surface and use lateral thinking to truly understand the book. There are literally dozens of hidden messages within the book, and I grant you that you take it at face value then the book may seem a bit under par, but this book is written like that for a reason, not just because the author had a few too many pints every now and then.

I am going to go against the large majority and say I thought this book was ok. Then again I am not a die hard Dark Angel but still the points I hope to make should stand somewhat.

The portrayal of Lion is that he is fair, a little headstrong but honourable. As he meets the emperor his ego grows constantly and the power goes to his head somewhat.

Those who are loyal to him and have shown to be level headed and not affected by complete glory seem to have been left behind, ie the ones who are there to serve. So perhaps Johnson only wanted to take individuals who all strived to be trully the greatest and best. Hence making the primarch they served more famous.

As we are shown earlier in the series Lion contested Horus' warmaster status, not guillman as most would think. This shows he wanted the most glory and power. Perhaps this is the crux behind the books.

Archived