Love Slaanesh, HATE Noise Marines...

Dammeron

Slaanesh has always been a tricky one for GW ever since RoC where it was all stockings & herms. With all I've read over the years the best way is mostly in the paint jobs which have changed alot since the days of RoC pastels.

Noise Marines do fit and now they look less like 'Space Rockers' and more like Marines with strange guns they can fit very nicely. As for wether they fit Slaanesh...yes in a way. Like most people have stated, Music, souns and noises promote feelings and sesations. From the annoying buzz of a gnat or hum of a light to the more extream mood changes which can be experienced. Relaxation, anger, happiness and of corse erotic feelings.

I wasn't going to use Noise Marines myself but have ended up going for them after weighing it up.

What you could try is justifying using the Plague Marine stats for a Slaanesh worshiper who delights in sensations of the flesh to the point of being de-sensitised to all but the most powerfull attacks and a reluctence to destroy an enemy until they have tasted their touch (hence the lower initiative).

I have always seen devotees of Slaanesh as being closer to the evil men in the Marquis de Sade's 120 Days of Sodom, striving to push the boundaries of their own excess and experience. The "sex, drugs, and rock n' roll" take on Slaanesh has always felt sort of silly to me (I prefer the grimmer, less humorous side of the GW universes) compared to the potential that S&M pushed to daemonic extremes offers in terms of modeling, and fluff.

I see followers of Slaanesh being Sadists and Masochists at the same time, people that derive pleasure from either causing pain to others or having pain inflicted upon them and I like Refuse's idea of the 7 cardinal sins.

when you look at the fall of the Eldar fluff wise Slaanesh was born and the eldar ... blah... yak and there are eldar who fell from grace at the birth of slaanesh, the dark eldar, they wear dark brooding colours, they torture anything that moves, and then torture it again for good measure. How can a group of wannabe Slannesh Chaos Space Marines be closer to the true focus of Slaanesh than actual Slaanesh Chaos Space Marines. yes bright colours are stimulating, yes noise is a sense in so far as hearing.

Noise Marines should get armoury options for capture, torture, self mutilation and then the take on Refuse's idea, an armoury option for Greed, Lust, Pride etc etc and have no access to "standard" CSM equipment, standard is boring and the followers of Slaanesh should never be (but unfortunately are) seen as boring

The reason why I never even touch a Slaaneshi force is because I'd want to convert or hand sculpt the whole thing. I just don't like the current image! I would really honestly want to make them less Noise marine like and more along the lines of self flagellation awesomeness. I really just don't like "WOK N' WOLL" Image they seem to have, and GW has sincerely toned their indulgent S&M like fluff down. I like it when my games are a wee bit more adult.

• 4 weeks later...
You've never been to a metal show have you?

This hits the nail right on the head. It doesn't just apply to Metal though. For millenia music has been associated with excess and debauchery, with skill and ability, passion and commitment, trancendental states of mind, etc. Sound has a powerful effect on the human psyche and can profoundly affect your state of mind. It is absolutely appropriate that Slaanesh marines would have an interest in sound and it's applications. Plus, there's the other trappings of being good with sound, the respect and admiration of your peers and the adulation of legions of fans - rock star status. Slaanesh worshippers would love all that stuff. There's also the pursuit of knowledge and perfection in aquiring the skills needed to use a sonic weapon effectively.

If you don't like the guitar image there's plenty of other instruments to choose. You could use drums, horns and lyres for inspiration. Convert your marines with beastman parts and you have ancient Greek/Roman satyrs. Straight away that image says debauched pleasure seekers, no need for explanation.

Back in the 21st century, I was at a Slayer gig last week, the place went so beserk that Khorne would have been impressed, not just Slaanesh.

The power of music.

• 3 weeks later...

The first thing that struck me is how everyone is so opinionated about made up fluff and stories that dont exist but OK, I will play along.

Let's start with this, I love chaos, I always have and I really didnt start playing them until this last dumbed down codex made its way out. I love the fluff, the four major cults and of course Black Legion. I love the idea of organized destruction on all order and all that would be called good. I also except that each cult means something different to every player.

I play Slaanesh. I love my noise marines. Why? It is simple, there is nothing cooler than imagining an enemy torn apart or liquified by utter sound. The Nazis ( arguable pure evil on this planet) experimented with just this idea. Slaanesh to me means more that sex, drugs and rock and roll, and it is more that sin incarnate as well. Slaanesh speaks of perfection gone mad, of senses pushed to the limit of madness. Look at Lucius one of the perfect killing machines in the 40K universe ( I know his rules dont reflect that but play along). He choses to kill his foes slow and sadistically so that he can enjoy their deaths. Shooting someone with a bolter is mundane compared to watching them squirm in agony as waves of sound rend the life from their being. So tell me why killing in this manner would not appeal to followers of the gods of excess?

Really their is not a right or wrong answer, if you like noise marines so be it, they do fit into the explained fluff. If you feel the force you are fielding has taken their lust for pain and misery in another direction so be it, but anyone can kill with a close combat weapon and a bolter, Slaanesh does it with sound. Unlike the unheard sound of the shot that kills you, you are guaranteed to hear what a noise marine dispatches you with.

Just my opinion...

why noise marines?

well lets see..we got 5 senses

how about taste marines?

only thing i can think of is tasting blood...thats like berserkers and blood angels

smell marines?

...no idea...

pain marines(sound slike nurgle)?

we cant have pain marines because in inficting and taking pain..it would make them similair to plague marines and berserkers

visual marines?

dont all CSM like to see people tortured, killed, etc?

Whats so pleasurable about making a load of noise though.

Get this guy a good dozen mp3s and some headphones, stat! Nothing like good, loud, energetic music. Of most any genre.

Fantasy can represent slaanesh as a patron of beauty and charismatic and fearless leaders.

This was hinted at in 3.5 but not represented. I liked that side of Slaanesh too.

I don't have anything to add to the philosophy debate- I think it's already been covered very well.

Agreed.

Of course, this whole look kind of goes out the window if you stick a head with bloody great big horns it it onto the model's body...

Find a new head! Bits sites, bits sites.

Archived