Swordhand talks with himself - Art thread

• 2 weeks later...
Looks great to me, I like the clenched "rise against" fist hes got on his chest. I do have a gripe though, the vents on his baxkpack seem way too small, how do you expect his reactor to get cool with those tiny things :lol: All jokes aside, It looks great, cant wait to see it finished.

Somebody say something about it! This thread is like me replying to myself a thousand times, it's boring!

Nice! Very intimidating in pose, and in style it reminds me somewhat of some pictures by Captain Tiberius. I like the shape of the fist, too. I think this drawing shows marked improvement over some of your earlier stuff, too. All in all, I think it's pretty neat! Be sure to show us further progress. :lol:

I was a little confused about the gene-seed of the marine at first glance, he has a fist on his chest, but a blood drop on his belt. I had to read your DIY in order to figure it out. The marine itself looks good and the vents are a little small, as noted, but a really nice image overall. It's a very nice red.

Khrangar

i think the main thing you should look at(and everyone else as well) is why is nurgle the only thing in the world that gets multiple colours for skin/armour and so on, on them?

the rest are quite plain, grey is grey, orange is orange...you need to use colours to create contrasts, and shading, and highlights and so on...colour is indictive of the environment/atmosphere of the piece

designs are pretty good, some better than others, orange guy is one of the bets so far...but the main thing is to remember your perspective...the shoulder pads insist its looking slightly upwards but the chest piece has no bottom edge and his helmet a straight on view...the shoudler pads look angled because of this(like bevelled edges)

as for the cables on the tummy, remember to follow the shape and curve of the chest piece if they are on the same level, or if they are inset like some marine armour, to create the inset, they can then be a bit more linear...the middle hose has lines that are concave while the other two are convex...which changes the perspective

Hey Swordhand!

Starks brought up some excellent points, try applying them in your next piece of art. I can see some major improvement in terms of your drawing, keep up the good work! Things you might want to change: his helmet top, it seems off center. The wings on his chest could definitely be better (more detail); and the wings seem to be centered on his chest, but one the left side is cut short. Also, on his right pipe on his helmet, it seems to also be a little off. Your effort for making him 'pop' (3D) is good, however it doesn't seem to all follow the same perspective. The purity seal is very detailed, but the wax part does not look like wax. shade it and give it some irregular ridges. While your at it, make the purity seal flowing, or let it drop and hang. Finally, his right shoulderpad is not bad, but the skull seems turned too much to the viewer even though the shoulderpad is not.

I am definitely not the expert on colors, but Starks has brought up another good point. Don't just use the color you want the piece to be, experiment by using different brush tools/inks/etc. and different colors to give depth and 'pop'.

That's all for now, update it!

++EDIT++

Upon further gazing at that piece of art, his left elbow guard doesn't look like the same one on his right. Would it not be a but further back, have that angled shape, and...you get my point, right? Cheers old friend! ;)

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Mol, Khrangar, and Mikhail

Thanks guys, means a lot.

Looks great to me, I like the clenched "rise against" fist hes got on his chest. I do have a gripe though, the vents on his baxkpack seem way too small, how do you expect his reactor to get cool with those tiny things ;) All jokes aside, It looks great, cant wait to see it finished.

I was actually having trouble drawing the stylized fist, so I googled the rise against fist. As for the vents, they are a disappointment but I will leave them like this for now.

i think the main thing you should look at(and everyone else as well) is why is nurgle the only thing in the world that gets multiple colours for skin/armour and so on, on them?

Because when painting nurgle most people forget to keep the paint where it is supposed to go :P

the rest are quite plain, grey is grey, orange is orange...you need to use colours to create contrasts, and shading, and highlights and so on...colour is indictive of the environment/atmosphere of the piece

I agree, but remember that this marine is far from done. He still has a lot of shading to be done, with black-blue. I also plan on finishing this scheme with the black shown In my DIY, so towards the end he will have nicer contrast. I am very disappointed that I didn't achieve a more Castigator-esque colour like that for Caetrus' art, but there is always next time.

designs are pretty good, some better than others, orange guy is one of the bets so far...but the main thing is to remember your perspective...the shoulder pads insist its looking slightly upwards but the chest piece has no bottom edge and his helmet a straight on view...the shoudler pads look angled because of this(like bevelled edges)

as for the cables on the tummy, remember to follow the shape and curve of the chest piece if they are on the same level, or if they are inset like some marine armour, to create the inset, they can then be a bit more linear...the middle hose has lines that are concave while the other two are convex...which changes the perspective

Well, I have always had trouble with perspective, especially when drawing marines, and it needs some work on it for sure. The cables, however, I am greatly pleased with, as they do suggest some more depth.

Hey Swordhand!

Starks brought up some excellent points, try applying them in your next piece of art. I can see some major improvement in terms of your drawing, keep up the good work! Things you might want to change: his helmet top, it seems off center. The wings on his chest could definitely be better (more detail); and the wings seem to be centered on his chest, but one the left side is cut short. Also, on his right pipe on his helmet, it seems to also be a little off. Your effort for making him 'pop' (3D) is good, however it doesn't seem to all follow the same perspective. The purity seal is very detailed, but the wax part does not look like wax. shade it and give it some irregular ridges. While your at it, make the purity seal flowing, or let it drop and hang. Finally, his right shoulderpad is not bad, but the skull seems turned too much to the viewer even though the shoulderpad is not.

Helmet vent is off :D That thing has been giving me so much trouble... on paper it was only half a mm tall, and then I redrew the rest of his head at a different angle and was too frustrated to fix it. The wings were too much of a bother to pencil, so all the detail comes through when I paint. I'm not worried about the wings at this point. About the purity seal, so far all I've done is use solid crimson and beige under my lines :P Now about the shoulder pad, it is in fact a company marking, not a real skull. This will be made more obvious in the weathering stage.

Upon further gazing at that piece of art, his left elbow guard doesn't look like the same one on his right. Would it not be a but further back, have that angled shape, and...you get my point, right?

aye, I will repaint the lines once I'm done basic shading... I'm trying A new technique this time, I even laid down an opaque 'basecoat' to start.

I don't know if I can update today, but I will certainly try :)

Cheers

Archived