how to kill a big bug list?

Saxxon the Dragoon

the guy is right though... you can't build an army that is only one point focused

Indeed not, but it can help :P <_< - Right or not the attitude wasn't very pleasant.

Personally I try and stick with my basic Army list at all costs and let the 'Nids come to me. The primary reason for this is Fleet of Foot. It is unlikely that the 'Nids are going to let me get the charge considering said feet, so I might as well stay still and pepper them with LC and HB fire. Plasma is great but I find that most players (at least the ones I come up against) see plasma cannons and spread their units out - just maintaining coherency, so I tend to stick with LC and HB weaponry as much as possible (predator tanks, devastator squads, Long Range Dread supported with a standard Assault Cannon model)

Stick a couple of Hunter Killer missiles on your tanks (one each of course). Been playing for a long time now and to this day people still jump when I target them from the long angle of the board. Unlimited range just doesn't come into peoples equations.

My other thought would be to prioritise your targets. Remember genies don't need to be near the synapse creature (although that information could be a little old), so don't rely on that to stop those little monsters and that the synapse powers are psychic powers so a hood on a Librarian could be useful (again, that information could be old so try confirm that with the 'nid codex). If the horde gets in close back off the line a little, adjust it so your best combat troops are at the front of your squad and brace yourself for the charge.

I don't use T-War Veterans because I don't play an Ultramarine army - I just play a trait-less codex chapter - so I can't comment on their usefulness. Considering they're specced for fighting these bugs I'd suggest they be worth looking into if you actually do play the boys in blue.

And just as a final comment/thought:

Saxxon, have you tried changing Tactics? Maybe try DP'ing half your army behind his lines when he's run the brood half way across the board or some classic pincer moves to cut him apart in the cross fire? At the end of the day an IG army can hold off a 'nid invasion, power armoured super men should be able to have a fair run at it. Run a few different battle styles across with the same army, if they don't work, change your load outs and try again.

• 2 weeks later...

;)

Sorry about the seemingly mean spirited post the other day. I was having a rough week and felt like getting on the ol' Bolter and Chainsword to see what my buddies might be reading to beat my big bugs.

I will have to work on my *tactfullness* in the future. Either way, I hope it helped!

Yes, 'stealers don't need synapse. They function like normal units (non-nid) outside of synapse, and like any other nid in synapse. Incidentally, the broodlord is synapsed and can infiltrate, which mean a first or second turn charge with fearless stealers, as wel as swynapse for any raveners, gargoyles that happen to deep strike.

As a nid player, I have to say that my brother's ImpFists mutilate my army wth ac'd terminators, and biovores really aren't that effective against SM.

edit: also, you can only block hive mind powers that need a Psychic test to take.

tyrant 182

5x warriors 200

12xstealers 276

28 horm 392

16 horm 224

16 horm 224

16 horm 224

8 horm 112

3 zoanthroap 165

I've used this vs my buddies BA the other day (we switched armies) the hormaguants are the 14 point version, with the extra strength. 3 turns, that's all it took to utterly clean him off the table. I was showing him the power of tyranids when used correctly. I don't even think I want to play him again, because there is no way I can beat this army which I'm sure he'll use next time, or something similar. and he did have WWs and baal preds, and all I had to do was keep my force spread out to take minimal damage. Even as I fought him I was looking through his eyes, trying to see what I would do with the BAs. But it would have ended the same way one way or the other. Suggestions?

A farseer with mind war will kill a carnifex easily, or a an assualt terminator squads with thunders hammers, or a retinue of warlocks, as they wound on +2 and strike first they also will strike on 3s agaisnt carni's or just take callidus assassins.

thanks

Antique_nova

• 3 weeks later...
flamers flamers flamers....

hvy bolters and AC also work pretty good.

if u have a whirly i'd use castellan missiles force him into fire lanes for said flamers.

flamers?! get out, sure they're template but they'll probably charge you before you burn them, moving a max of 18"? per turn (fleet and charge) and the template is only about 8"? long.

As for synapse, genestealers don't need it, 5W is scary, but I2 gives you a chance to pull out a jump packing chaplain along with some assault marines to attack sufficiently, failing that... run.

Personally I field a very very very shooty army, and that works, don't go off and buy a PC devastator squad, a HB one works better for less the more damage you can dish out at range the better, and remember to smirk when/if you light up his big toys with las/plascannons.

Archived