FAQ: Painting White

Read through the entire thread and im not sure if i missed the answer, or its not there,

Im looking for a recipe for my sang priest count as and ive fallen in love with the blue-ish white of some peoples work (see brother Corbulo on GW's website) - it just seems to make the reds and golds stand out (possibly the contrast between the coolness of the white and the warmth of the red/gold?)

anyway how do i go about getting a really nice blueish tint to the white without actually making it look blue?

Cheers,

TJ

ok just for reference ive only been painting for a few months now so I am by no means an expert. does anyone else have issues with the white paint looking too grainy? Ive tried several methods from drybrushing( which seems to work the best for even surfaces for me) to using different primers, using multiple layers of white, and even blending up from grey. it always seems to leave my miniatures with a very rough looking texture no matter what ive tried. ive even tried thinning my paints with different stuff from glaze, to airbrush thinner, to distilled water, even tried a little paint thinner. it still seems like it comes out the same way.

Im not even trying to paint a white chapter just trying to refine my painting skills for when i move on to my next army. Any help would be appreciated.

Read through the entire thread and im not sure if i missed the answer, or its not there,

Im looking for a recipe for my sang priest count as and ive fallen in love with the blue-ish white of some peoples work (see brother Corbulo on GW's website) - it just seems to make the reds and golds stand out (possibly the contrast between the coolness of the white and the warmth of the red/gold?)

anyway how do i go about getting a really nice blueish tint to the white without actually making it look blue?

Cheers,

TJ

I've had success painting a blue-ish white by priming the model white then washing it with a thinned blue wash (Asurmen Blue is what I've used) then cleaning back up to pure white.

• 3 weeks later...

Quick and easy White -

Get a bottle of Liquitex White Gesso.

Slap this onto the model, don't worry if it looks thick as this stuff pulls right into the detail.

Depending on your tint preference use one of the following washes - Bluish: Badab Black/Army Painter Darktone 30-40% with Asurmen Blue/Drakenhof Nightshade 70-60%,

Brownish: Devlan Mud/Agrax Earthshade/Army Painter Strongtone, Flat: Badab Black/Army Painter Darktone.

Apply Wash liberally.

Follow up with 2 thin coats Ceramite White.

Finish with 1-2 coats Skul White/White Scar applied as a highlight.

Bask in the brilliance of your White whilst drinking the beverage of your choice :P

Example of Flat White - gallery_39897_5762_1700218.jpg

Archived