Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

=][= The Official Word on Nestir! =][=

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
57 replies to this topic

Terminatorinhell

Terminatorinhell

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,370 posts
can I enter a guy for both sides or just a chaos dude?

gallery_24779_1036_30733.jpg

The Emperor's Champion:
"Never forget, getting tackled by a charging Marine is a LOT like getting hit with a VW Beetle at 30+mph. A VW that hates you and everything you stand for..."

With a lonely whisper you hear him say, on this night you will die this way...

Sigismund Himself

Sigismund Himself

++SCRIBERE NOVELLUS++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,415 posts
I'm afraid that no more characters can be entered. Round 2 is between the survivors of Round 1.

WelshMullet

WelshMullet

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 509 posts
wait...when is round two?

Graymantle, could you post the backgroung you use for your pictures, i have something in mind...

Edited by Marine With A Mullet, 21 December 2008 - 11:46 PM.

AoD round 2----Honour the fallen, Sargent Dalencius
My new blog dedicated to the Fellmarines and 40k
QUOTE (Grand Master Tyrak @ Jul 7 2009, 11:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In the Grim Darkness of the Far Future, there is only Schrodinger's Cat?

Chaptermaster Graymantle

Chaptermaster Graymantle

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,139 posts
Sigismund has it right on the money.
There will be no new character entries for round two, as that would defeat the purpose of the AoD as a game really.
Sorry about that Terminatorinhell!

Marine With a Mullet: I usually make new backgrounds in every image.
Did you have a specific image you were thinking of?

New-GA-hotlink-banner-190511.jpg

Chaptermaster Graymantle

Chaptermaster Graymantle

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,139 posts
Round 01 is officially over!
Index of all the entries in the Battle 05 > End Round 01 Story.

Now I've said that Round 02 may continue as late as April, meaning April 02. – Skipping the first of that month for obvious reasons.
The reason for this pause is that I want to finish a website dedicated to making the storyline etc. a bit easier to follow, with indexes of things, images, maps, easier to follow stats and so on...
The website will also in part run a sidestory to the main story – That may affect the main story.

For Round 02 I already have a lot of material and changes ready.
Among other things, the voting and points systems will both be featured to involve both the players and the community more.
Further details will follow.

I hope to present more interactivity, more Flash, sounds, music and artwork.
Artwork featuring: The Hives; The Planet; The Characters; NPCs like Storm, Smith, Rugajov, Xamanth, Adramalech, Jokul etc. – Bannister and Drako you've already seen.
Artefacts like: 'Rillie-Tageth' - 'Glitterfall'; 'Yirrik-Zhai' - 'The Iceblade'; 'Anthatrill' - The Frostblade; The Snow Leopard; 'Credeas Sercambelach'; 'The Aika Carrecenad' etc. – The Snowglobe you've already seen.
Places like: Hive Primus; Secundus; Tertius. The Fortress of The Snow Leopard; The Eternal Night; Sha'eil; Milton's Paradise; The world will have some landscape images; Maps... – Nestir V you've allready seen.

Hopefully I will get some of the art community involved and I also hope to involve the Librarium with some indexing. – Wake up people to the AoD again and let them see just how much amazing work people have put into this allready.
– Furthermore we MAY see a character shift if we lost a lot of people, but Im holding of on that one.

More info will follow!
CMG

Edited by Chaptermaster Graymantle, 27 February 2009 - 07:14 AM.

Yogi

Yogi

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,983 posts
Sounds really good CMG. This is a mammoth project. MAjor kudos

Chaptermaster Graymantle

Chaptermaster Graymantle

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,139 posts
Thank you Yogi! :cuss
I have been a bit delayed on getting the website going due to that Ive had to put a new computer together and its just now starting to get fully done.
Still, I will get going with this project this week.

Chaptermaster Graymantle

Chaptermaster Graymantle

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,139 posts
Sorry about the delay people!
I will look into getting us slowly under way again now.
PM's and more info to follow tomorrow.

CMG

Yogi

Yogi

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,983 posts
Kinda sucks no replies CMG..

anyway Im here..

Than for replying in my other thread red glow. Yeah I forgot they went underground.

Edited by Yogi, 16 April 2009 - 03:20 PM.

Brother Cambrius

Brother Cambrius

++ VISUM COLORATOR ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 3,794 posts
Good to see that there'll be movement soon upon the frozen arena. I've sadly been stacked up with schoolwork so I'm not oging to be very active in the next few weeks but I'll try and stop by on a weekly basis to see any updates or try and add my own.

This is a gigantic task CMG. I salute you for keeping it going. :)

Cambrius

gallery_26154_15777_7413.png sml_gallery_81492_11492_822.pngjHkptLG.png]gallery_77459_13226_2824.pnggallery_48988_10069_2782.png gallery_48988_11572_5225.pnggallery_48988_15094_15503.png

Chaptermaster Graymantle

Chaptermaster Graymantle

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,139 posts
Hello everyone!
So here is a brave attempt at getting the wheels of the AoD slowly turning again.

I said we would get going again on the second of April, but silly me didn't take Easter into account and I wasn't be able to get things going during Easter as I've been away.
Anyway, I will get you up to speed on a few things now and hopefully activate some people again.

So what is the current status of the AoD?
As you know, we are currently paused as I've taken a time-out to get some things organized in the background.
Unfortunately RL has taken its toll and Ive gotten nowhere near as much done as I had hoped.
With the loss of my job I've been getting more and more paperwork on my hands, and the move from my old computer (which belonged to my previous employer), over to the new one has taken longer and not gone as smoothly as I had hoped; so still not quite where I want to be there either.

Finally, for a few years now Ive had a bit of trouble with my heart and blood pressure, and the stress of not having any income and no real routine has aggravated my health condition.
So I've not had much energy and less than I had hoped has gotten done.
I was at the doctor's yesterday and while he was not a happy man, I feel things are looking better now and hope they will improve as the months pass by.

But that's enough about me; what about the AoD's future?
Well, as you may remember, we ended Round One with the Imperials being victorious.
The forces of Chaos were driven from the Hives and into the planet's underworld.
But while the Imperials now hold Orbital superiority as well as the Hives, the war is far from over.

The forces of Adramalech are greater than anticipated and he has allied himself with a mysterious alien army deep within the underbelly of Nestir V.
The Imperials have learned of the truth behind the planet, their enemy and of their leaders.
A seed of unrest has been planted and so it remains to be seen if Humanity's forces can keep it together when Adramalech and his Warlords strike once more.
And in deep space, something is brewing... — Something bad!

We will be continuing the story a couple of months after round one ended.
Adramalech and his army have established their foothold in the Underworld and the Imperials have not been able to track them. — However at the start of round two, the forces of Chaos are rediscovered.

So what about the Website?
Well, unfortunately due to my RL troubles I haven't gotten anywhere near as far as I wanted with this and it is not yet ready for launch.
I hope to have it ready for launch once we start Round Two though, and then I will keep expanding on it from there.

Ok, so what happens now?
I will now start working on sending out PMs to everyone in the AoD to catalogue who is active and hopefully to activate some more people as well.
As for a deadline to get replies in from the PMs, I'm setting that to the 01'st of May.
That will hopefully give people plenty of time to wake up and get back in the game. - Even if they are away.
On May 01'st I will be restarting the AoD storyline and present the first battle of round two etc.

Furthermore I ask that each side reappoint a leader to gather and motivate the troops, as well as to deliver official point bids and answers to me.

Finally, I've also drawn up a list of 22 artist I think have stood out as extremely talented here on the B&C.
Each of them will be getting a PM from me requesting that they pitch in with a piece of art inspired by the stories from Round one. - Hopefully some of them will be willing to help.
I will also be setting up a new thread for this in the PC&A forum.

All in all this means I have something like 55+ PMs to send out, as well as answers to PMs etc. and quite a bit of writing and organizing, website stuff and so on to get done, so please be patient.

Anyway, May 01'st is the time when we get going with Round Two and Continue the Combat.
Best of luck to us all!
CMG

Edited by Chaptermaster Graymantle, 22 April 2009 - 03:02 PM.

Sigismund Himself

Sigismund Himself

++SCRIBERE NOVELLUS++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,415 posts
Good to see this start up again CMG :jaw: Sorry to hear about your RL issues once again. Look after yourself first, this AoD can lie asleep for a bit more if need be.

As I've announced elsewhere, I'm in the process of stepping down from Codicier and beginning the process of wrapping up my affairs on the B&C so I can take a bit of a break. I'll be around for a bit longer, but I'll be busy tidying up a few personal projects. So I'm not sure how much I will be able to help out in this regards. Apologies. I'll do what I can to help out though.

As such, since nightrunner has been laid low and my semi-retired status, I'd like to invite somebody to come and join me in organizing the Loyalist team.

Renik

Renik

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,606 posts
chaos will need someone also due to fact im no longer involved in the running of team chaos and working on possible side projects for later date

Neigorath

Neigorath

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 394 posts
Hmm, I might be interested in trying to organize chaos, as if such a thing can be done to our insane bunch of galactic mass murderers but I shall try, although I am willing to let anyone else do it if they so wish.

gallery_11038_675_363.png

gallery_24779_1036_18403.jpgneigorathl.png
Once our great father Horus led us to the gates of Terra! There he was slain by the false emperor and his weakling primarchs. Now they worship that rotting carcass as a god! Horus might have been weak and foolish, but we, his Sons, still live on! Abaddon leads us to greater glory with each of his crusades and eventually we will show our brothers that true power demands sacrifices! No-one will stand in our way, be it the lapdogs of the weakling Imperium or our brethren in the other legions! We are the Black Legion! WE ARE RETURNED! -Neigorath the Thrice Accursed, captain of the 8th Grand Company of the former Luna Wolves during the battle for Cadian Gate.

Chaptermaster Graymantle

Chaptermaster Graymantle

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,139 posts
Ok, very slight change of plans.
Ive set up the restart date for May 01'st.
This is only a few days after the original plan and much easier to remember.
Also, a few extra days to get ready is always welcome. :)

Sorry to hear you are stepping back Sigismund!
The Librarium is going to suffer a tremendous loss when that happens.
I still hope you have some contacts that may help with the cataloguing projects though.

Neigorath. If you want to lead team Chaos, that is ok by me.
If other Chaos members step forward though, you will have to agree on who gets the job.
Great of you to volunteer! :)

TheDarkApostle

TheDarkApostle

++ EXAUGURO OCULUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 3,145 posts

chaos will need someone also due to fact im no longer involved in the running of team chaos and working on possible side projects for later date

Having a bit of trouble to find time of my own as well I'm afraid.

TDA

Renik

Renik

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,606 posts
for me ran out of steam as well i ran antioc from chaos side as well and drains fun out of it and have side projects but yogi doesn't seem to answer his pms hint hint

Edited by Renik, 17 April 2009 - 10:46 PM.

Yogi

Yogi

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,983 posts
CMG thats way too much.. no wonder. Perhaps you could scale the workload down, this is just for fun right? Use the battles themselves to tell the story rather then extra pieces of fluff. Make the battles shorter so they dont take so long for people to write.

Like for example, the last thing I remember reading was the chaos marines on that train going underground. So say for example round 2 battle 1 would be someone's chaos guy who gets off the train cause he cant stand his peers and wanders up to the surface to face the scouting imperial player.. etc. Next battle 3 4 5 could be in the story happening at the same time in one large attack. So those battles could describe the attack. then if two chaos win and one imperial win the battle is a chaos success. Then the next battle the imperium is on the back foot. You see what I mean battle tell the story when the AODs over or between rounds have a short epilogue if you want.

No other fluff pieces just battles. Cause I think we need to face the hard truth that this AOD is never going to finish otherwise.

And honestly I joined the AOD to read battles. You were there in the old AOD, where my alpharius guy faced of your legio guy. If you go back and read that battle you'll see how simple and easy it was for someone to write. The battle was in a hallway. It was short it was sweet.

This is no way condemningwhat you've done so far CMG you hav done a great job, this is in no way condemning everyones little short fluff pieces of character stuf Hell I wrote a couple.

But when I look at that list I feel exhausted. Seriously. And obviousy it exhausts you too or it would be done, and luku burnt himself out.. setting his cracking pace.

Now imagine that list was replaced with simply a list of battles. We could actually do that. And in a couple of months. Please at least consider what Im saying.

Reyner

Reyner

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,240 posts
I might be able to help you CMG, like with the ship info or some such. I agree with Yogi though, it is alot of work for you. I'll be glad to help though.

gallery_60566_6038_242.gifgallery_26119_9644_9137.pnggallery_60566_6038_826.gif
"I don't need my left arm to run." - Sergeant Arkad VII Legion bad-ass.

Renik

Renik

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,606 posts
i have to say yogi has summed it up quite well and i share alot of his views

Brother Cambrius

Brother Cambrius

++ VISUM COLORATOR ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 3,794 posts
Throne CMG! That's not a shedload of work but a few warehouses full! ;) I think Yogi may have the right idea of throttling back a little bit if it's getting too much. But no taking away from what you and everybody else has done. You're a legend in my book Graymantle for putting a lot of this together.

I'll try to provide the intelligence data you need in the near future. Expect a PM in the next week or so.

Cambrius

gallery_26154_15777_7413.png sml_gallery_81492_11492_822.pngjHkptLG.png]gallery_77459_13226_2824.pnggallery_48988_10069_2782.png gallery_48988_11572_5225.pnggallery_48988_15094_15503.png

Aurelius Rex

Aurelius Rex

++ GESTORIS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 5,726 posts
I know the desire to get an AoD 'just right', but I would have to echo the calls not to overcomplicate this, CMG. Given the massive delays that this AoD has suffered, I think that getting it completed would be the priority over adding too many extras. I know that I had extra pieces of linking background in Antioc - which I hope added to the piece greatly - they didn't get to the point where it was at the expense of the overall project. In fact, at the time I was concerned that the Antioc AoD took about three or four months start to finish - longer than I would have liked and decided that any future ones I did would be consciously shorter and to the point... by comparison Nestir has taken a year and four months and only half the battles have been fought.

Especially if your time is short, I would suggest putting the main plot points you want to cover directly into the batreps to reduce the workload, otherwise you risk making a rod for your own back, and it dragging on for another year or never being completed. :P
Hidden Content

Chaptermaster Graymantle

Chaptermaster Graymantle

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,139 posts
Ok, the cataloguing projects were a hope to get people reading the stories again and to get more people involved as well, thus getting people back into the AoD.
In addition to this it would give me data as I am hoping to get a PDF done after the AoD is over. - To save the Nestir V AoD in a format that is easier to access.
This was not meant to get people writing anything new or for me to make anything new.
It was meant as a project where people could read the stories and take a few notes while doing so. - Ships, Places, Characters...
As there are so many people in the AoD, even a few of them helping out would mean a rapid collection of data and I cant see how other people reading and making notes would slow the AoD down.

Still, I see I blindsided you with this project and if the most eager members of the AoD say no, then I realize I was wrong.
So I am not going to have people do this and Ive altered the earlier post to reflect this.
Instead I will be compiling a complete list of stories throughout the AoD and once it is done I will post it for people to have a look at.
If at that time any of you find a story missing from the list, I hope you will tell me.
A large portion of this list is already done, so I'm well on my way to completing it anyway.

To those that have said they are willing to get involved, I thank you, but your services will not be needed.
As for those of you who were put off by this project, I apologize.

As for this AoD taking a long time, yes it has and taking over a AoD that has already started is a large part of that.
I have learned a lot about running one from this experience and realize a lot of things I would have implemented from the get-go if I had the chance.
I hope however that the time taken on this AoD has allowed it to become a work of quality.

As for the stories being short and sweet.
Well, the end part of this AoD was an epic undertaking designed to bring a deeper plot and story to it.
You will not be seeing that kind of length to a story here again. In fact I hope to outsource almost all the battles in round two; though I may be writing the TWWAM battle myself.
Earlier I have also delivered a skeleton draft of battles to the authors. I know I can be demanding in this respect so I am not sure I will do this in the future. - That may help keep things shorter and lessen the pressure on the writers.

Everyone should have received PMs now.
The AoD will still start up on May 01st.
See you all then.

Edited by Chaptermaster Graymantle, 23 April 2009 - 07:36 AM.

Chaptermaster Graymantle

Chaptermaster Graymantle

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,139 posts
Ok everyone, we are quickly approaching the end of Round 02 now.
A while back I was contacted by the Mods, who were wondering if the AoD was close to a conclusion, because they plan to host another AoD which will be a bit more dynamic and not as complicated as this one. The idea is to let other B&C members try their hands at an AoD as well.
After a bit front and back, the Mods and I agreed that the best way forward is to pause the Nestir AoD after Round 02 and continue it again after the next AoD is done in a few months.
This way the Nestir AoD doesn't get cut off before the end. It gets it's conclusion, the Mods get to run their AoD and I get a bit of rest, as well as some time to organize the material and plan ahead a bit more for Nestir.

The thing is that the plan is to end the Nestir AoD before the new year. Lately though, I have had a few more requests than usual for player written stories. This may be due to the holidays or some such, but while we may be able to stretch the Nestir AoD a bit into January, it would be preferable if we get everything tied up before the new year, so I'm urging everyone to get their stories in, evaluated and posted up for the public before the end of December 31'st.

Thank you!
CMG

Chaptermaster Graymantle

Chaptermaster Graymantle

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,139 posts
Ok, so the 31'st is here and stories are still missing.
I will be holding off for your stories until the 15th of January 2010, but at that time the AoD will go on pause to make way for another AoD.
The end of the Battle 06 story will be the last word on Nestir V Round 02, so after that no more stories may be published for this Round.
If the last player stories come in before the 15th, Nestir V will be paused earlier.
Looking forward to seeing people's stories soon! :)

Happy New Year everyone! :D