GT UK

Captain Idaho

turelhim vampire: How did Heat 3 go for you, did the Salamander do you well?? & also what was the top 10 armies of the heat. Just seem to be very quite when after GT heat 1/2 there ton stuff up with in half a hour after the event, barely seen anything about Heat 3 right now :D

IP

Edit: Can anyone tell me how done??

- Paul Scott

- Matien Moffet

- Ian Courtney

- Richard Simms

Well I just checked warseer (although it's been playing up recently) and it seems most of the people you asked about did very well. 1st and 3rd for two of them. Ian Courtney and Richard Simms respectively I think. Not so well for one of the others.

Harrythesmuck and turelhim vampire how did you get on?

I'm also interested to hear how Ian Whitbread got on. I think he took an Eldar army (possibly led by Yriel) with lots of skulls worked into the vehicles. Nicely painted cream white for the most part. (Sorry to ask about a non power armoured army on this board but warseer isn't behaving at the moment.)

Well I just checked warseer (although it's been playing up recently) and it seems most of the people you asked about did very well. 1st and 3rd for two of them. Ian Courtney and Richard Simms respectively I think. Not so well for one of the others.

Harrythesmuck and turelhim vampire how did you get on?

I'm also interested to hear how Ian Whitbread got on. I think he took an Eldar army (possibly led by Yriel) with lots of skulls worked into the vehicles. Nicely painted cream white for the most part. (Sorry to ask about a non power armoured army on this board but warseer isn't behaving at the moment.)

Thanks DaD

Just spoted it.

Yes both Ian & Richard are both sporting & very good solid gamers, both left me mental drain testing ever part your abilty as a gamer. I learn so much from there games.

Both are also great sport. For those intrested check out my 40k Radio & Rapid fire report to see Ian, while Richard check ELG Rompa Stompa.

As for Paul Scott, yes see he came 114 which is a shame :woot: He need to go back to his Tau :tu:

IP

Well, I am back, and I have to say that although I did enjoy myself it was a real eye opener. Almost every list there that qualified was a pure power gaming list, and the amount of 2 lash-prince/3 defiler lists was almost sickening.

Needless to say, next year I will be taking a power gaming list - it's a shame, but if I want to do well it's something I will have to do.

Out of 142 participants I finished 141st! ;) :lol:

On the plus side I did face Dark Eldar for the first time - they are certainly different. To be honest the only army I didn't have fun against was one of the lash prince lists.

I faced Karl Bickley's Eldar in round 1, Pierre Griffion's Dark Eldar in round 2, Chaos Marines belonging to a chap called Kriss in round 3, Toby Lee's Chaos Marines in round 4, Salamanders in round 5, and Deathwing belonging to a really nice bloke called Michael in round 6.

I got a draw with Karl, lost to Pierre (although he pushed for the game to continue after the ref called it, and if he hadn't I'd have won), was massacred by Kriss, lost on turn 6 to Toby (he said it was the best game he'd had all weekend, so that's a good thing at least), drew against the Salamanders (although I did instant death his Vulkan, which was a moral victory) and threw away the game against Michael with a few stupid mistakes. I left 3 rhinos open to his attacks, and if he hadn't destroyed them I'd have won that game too. Shame.

I had an immense amount of fun though, and will definately be back next year.

On an interesting note, Alexander Fennall (I think that's his name) got Bloodiest General with a total victory points of about 8000.

Bloodiest game was immense, there were 40points of minis left on the table at the end of the game. Not mine though, unfortunately.

Paul Scott's deathguard are phenomenal, he got a best army nomination, but the winner was an Eldar exodite army which had Knarlocs as grav tanks and jetbikes. It looked amazing. I have photos of it which I'll put up on the net at some point.

Well, I am back, and I have to say that although I did enjoy myself it was a real eye opener. Almost every list there that qualified was a pure power gaming list, and the amount of 2 lash-prince/3 defiler lists was almost sickening.

TBH mate that's just not true, i personally never saw a list that had 2 lash-princes and 3 defilers in it.

my list (i qualified 28th) was far from power-gaming based.

have a look see what you think!

Sicarius

10 Sternguard in a pod, 5 combi meltas, heavy flamer, power fist

Dreadnought in a pod, assault cannon

1 tac squad in a pod, melta, missile launcher, power fist

1 tac squad, plasma, missile launcher, power fist

Telion and 7 scouts, missile launcher, bolters

Assault squad, sarg+7, power fist, flamer.

now if you look at my list there's not alot of anti-tank capability and i personally didn't think it was that good an army, the key to using it was purely down to knowing what parts of my opponents army to concentrate on. i'm sure there are alot better marine builds, and i will be making changes for the final!

i had a great weekend, played some great opponents with armies that weren't that nasty at all and was truely surprised at the variation in army types being used.

Cheers

James

Well done spikyjames. How did you find the new marines fared? So much hype and arguments preceeded the codex and it still surprising how poorly they did overall. None in the top 10!?

How was Sicarius? He's one of the more subtle special characters. Not hugely nasty on paper but lots of tricks and tough to deal with.

Whilst I'd agree your list is far from the power-gamers usual style I see why it did well. Not lots of anti-tank but enough and you get to place it. (Often facing rear armour I imagine.) Which veteran skill did Sicarius bequeath a tactical squad?

Hence I said ALMOST every list. :P

You didn't see any 2 Lash/3 Defiler lists? Really?

Well I played against one of them and had another next to me for quite a few games. I saw so many 2 lash prince chaos lists, one of my opponents even apologised for using it, he said he hated it but said that he knew it would do well.

I did see a fair few geared simply on performance and not on theme, you're telling me you didn't see that?

Congratulations on the nominations on best army too. I saw your force and it was spectacular. I did dislike that they called the "Best Army" award the "Best Painted" award a few times, I thought it unfair on those players who put a LOT of effort into converting but cannot paint to 'eavy metal standards. I saw a good few of those who I thought deserved nominations over some of the armies I saw that did, although each of the nominated armies were amazingly painted.

Perhaps I am feeling a little jaded, but as my first experience of a tournament, it did seem very Elitist, at least on the part of the event team. Still, those who did well no doubt deserved to do so, and I don't mean to slight anyone's playing/modeling skills, I just noticed a trend that those who seemed to go for a "theme" didn't do so well at all, whereas those who went purely for performance seemed to do very well. I had a lot more fun playing against the guys on the back tables than I did playing the guys closer to the front.

Well, I guess I should focus on broadening my experiences and putting up more of a fight next year.

i didnt see any 2 Lash/3 Defiler lists, lots of 2 lash though.

my mate david miller had 2lash, 2vindicators, 1 defiler and that was the closest ive seen. although 2lash with oblitorators is a harder list.

2lash isnt as bad as elar falcon holo field, sprit stones combo, much rather play twin lash

i finished 20th overall with my nidzilla. 3draws, 3wins. only just managed to get through in the last 30seconds though

Karl Bickley was part of my team, hard list, i cant beat him

That heat was well fun.

Althgouh I was gutted that I added the Kill Points wrong in the last game which meant that instead of the win I should have got I drew and so ended in 109th rather than 80th like I should have.

It was more annoying for one of the lads in the group I went with as he got penalised 30 points which means that he dropped out of the finalist placing.

All in all thoguh a good fun weekend was had by all and I for one want to go next year. and aim for best army.

-T-

I'd love to have done some batreps for the event but alas I cannot remember all that happened. The best I can do is tell you roughly what lists I faced in what scenario, and any key things I can remember. Next year I'll have to get my fiance to video tape the games. :lol:

First was Karl Bickley's Eldar in an objective grabbing mission using spearhead deployement. We rolled high and ended up with 5 objectives on the table.

Karl's list was something like:

HQ

Farseer, Jetbike.

Elites

7 Harlequins all with Harlequins Kiss.

7 Harlequins all with Harlequins Kiss.

6 Fire Dragons, Exarch.

Troops

3 Jetbikes

3 Jetbikes

6 Pathfinders

Heavy Support

Falcon, Holofield

Falcon, Holofield

Falcon, Holofield

Game result: Draw. I was winning until turn 6 but those cursed Jetbikes swooped in on my objectives at the last minute to contest a couple. It came down to 1 combat for the last contested objective, whoever won the combat would have won the game. There were 2 tactical marines including the sergeant with power fist versus 4 Harlequins. The Herlequins struck first with their high initiative but only managed to kill 1 marine, the sergeant struck back and killed 2 of the eldar warriors, but the buggers passed their morale check, meaning the combat, and the game, was a draw.

Second game was against Pierre Griffion's Dark Eldar in a base stealing pitched battle.

Pierres list was something like:

HQ

Haemonculus x6 (various equipment)

Troops

6x Warrior squads, Blaster and Splinter Cannon, all in Raiders, 3 with slave chains.

Heavy Support

3x Ravagers (unsure on upgrades)

Game result: Draw. This game I should have won by all rights but Pierre insisted on playing on after the time limit was up, meaning that he scraped a draw by destroying the dreadnought I had contesting his objective, as it was the game was another draw. I let him have it, I wasn't going to argue it as the game was fun, Pierre was a thoroughly nice bloke and was very helpful and understanding about my inexperience in the tournament setting.

The next list I faced belongs to a guy called Kriss. Unsure on his surname but he finished up in the 20's somewhere. He had Chaos Marines and we played an Annihilation, Dawn of War mission.

His list was:

HQ

Daemon Prince, Wings, Lash of Submission

Troops

7x Plague Marines, 2x Plasma gun, Rhino with Combi Plasmagun

Heavy Support

Defiler, 4 DCCW.

Defiler, 4 DCCW.

Defiler, 4 DCCW.

Game result: Loss. Kriss was not a fun opponent at all, he was there to win at all costs, and it was obvious in his demeanour, the way he argued rules and his attitude in general. He came to the tournament with a friend and they both had identical lists except that instead of plague marines his friend has noise marines. Their armies had clearly been mail-ordered specifically for the tournament as their lash princes were all just unconverted Belakor models on round bases, their defilers were just stock model soulgrinders, and their paint jobs were obviously rushed - 1 base colour and a lighter highlight colour which had been brushed onto all their models with a tank brush. Gripes aside, he deployed his army is a smart, albiet not fun to face way - all his defilers were screened by his rhinos and he just sat back at shot at everything from afar, lashing units out of cover one at a time and shooting all 3 battle cannons at the same target. One thing he kept doing which annoyed me was moving a unit, starting to move another unit, realising that he wasn't happy with the placement of the first unit and then moving the first unit back to where it was and then to where he wanted it. One example is that he landed one of his princes near a wall, then tried to move one of his rhinos through the gap between the prince and the wall, realising it couldn't fit, then trying to move the daemon prince out of the way before moving the rhino. Needless to say I asked him what the heck he thought he was doing. :D

At any rate there wasn't anything I could do against him, and he wiped me out to a man, his defilers wrecked my transports and then his princes just lashed my units into range of his plasma guns and he took me apart. Not a fun game at all. But his tactics were sound, I cannot fault him on that. His sportsmanship however, was non-existant.

Next game I played was against another chaos army owned by Toby Lee. Toby was very sick on the day and really didn't seem up to it. Thankfully for him my fiance was also sick and so we had some flu tablets we could share with him, so his day perked up a little at least. The mission was a dawn of war, objective grabbing affair. Again we ended up with 5 objectives.

His list:

HQ

Elites

3 Terminators, 3x Combi-Plasma, 1x Power Fist

3 Terminators, 3x Combi-Plasma, 1x Power Fist

Troops

12(?) Thousand Sons, Sorceror with Doom Bolt.

12(?) Thousand Sons, Sorceror with Doom Bolt.

Heavy Support

2x Obliterators

2x Obliterators

There may have been more, I cannot really remember.

Game result: Loss. Toby apologised to me before the game began for using the list he had, as he didn't like it at all, and had only brought it to be competitive. He was a throughly pleasant chap and we had a really great game. He got a well deserved win, holding 3 ojectives to my 1, and he did say that it was the most fun game he had had all weekend. It could have swung either way, and only started to go Toby's way late in the game. I did manage to kill one of his princes and both terminator units but the AP3 boltgun shots on the Thousand Sons and the 2+ saves on the obliterators just bowled my squads over, as I had no real anti-MEQ in my list.

The next game was again a fellow Salamanders player, whose name escapes me. We had a base grab spearhead mission, which was pretty fun. His list was as follows:

HQ

Vulkan Hestan

Elites

Dreadnought, Multi Melta, Missile Launcher

5 Assault Terminators

6 Sternguard, 3 Combi Meltas, Sgt w/ Power Fist

Troops

10 Marines, Flamer, Multi Melta, Sgt w/ Power Fist. Rhino.

10 Marines, Flamer, Multi Melta, Sgt w/ Power Fist. Rhino.

5 Scouts, Sniper Rifles, Heavy Bolter

Fast Attack

Attack Bike, Multi Melta

Heavy Support

Devastator Squad (5 marines) 2x Missile Launchers.

Game result: Draw. A very bloody game this was, level pegging throughout. The mission ended with us both controlling our objectives, however his was placed next to some ruins in which his "controlling" unit was hiding. I personally didn't think they were within 3" of it to control it, however I let it slide as I didn't want to sound like an arse.

Final game was against a member of Warseer, his name was Mike but I cannot remember what his online handle was. He was playing Deathwing, and the game we played was definately the most fun I had all weekend. The mission was Annihilation, pitched battle.

His list was:

HQ

Belial

Ezekial

Troops

5 Assault Terminators, Lightning Claws

5 Terminators, Cyclone Launcher

5 Terminators, Assault Cannon#

5 Terminators, Assault Cannon

Heavy Support

Land Raider Crusader

Game Result: Loss. This game I threw away the win. I used my rhinos to channel his terminators to fields of fire I could capitalise on, however in doing so he managed to destroy three of them with assault cannons. The kill points at the end of the game were 3 to me and 5 to him, so if I had not thrown away my transports I would have won the game. Still, we live and learn.

Overall considerations...

My list is geared very much to be anti Horde, unfortunately as luck would have it I didn't face any.

The extra armour on my rhinos was not worth the 15pts in the majority of cases, as such next year only my Sternguard rhino will get the upgrade. With the points saved I will replace the heavy bolters in my tac squads with Plasma Cannons to help out with the MEQ, as they can probably kill more horde infantry than a heavy bolter can anyway. With the spare points I may upgrade my Dreadnoughts to Ironclads, as I hear nothing but good things about drop podding Ironclads. This should also fix the issue of not having a dedicated assault unit, as there is little that 2 Ironclads cannot tear to shreds in combat.

If you've gotten this far, I hope you enjoyed reading it. Photos of my completed army are on the way...

Thanks so much for posting your experiences and results. I find your view a lot more interesting than some guy who rolls up with 2 lash princes, Plague Marines and Oblits and snoozes through 5 wins.

If you had fun, that is the main thing!

well heat 3 is over now, managed to finish 20th over all. the following are my battle reports as far as i can remember. sorry I'm not to good with names.

GAME 1: Stuart Robertson (66th)

so everyone lines up and I'm waiting to see who I'm playing 1st, Stuart turned up with the following :

Archon W/shadow field, drugs, agoniser.

3 1man units of heamonculi on bikes, with flamer,siccour

6 raiders with dark lance with 6men on each with 5darklance and blasters

3 ravagers with 3 disintegrates on each.

my god i was <DELETED BY THE INQUISITION>ting myself. if there was ever an army built to take down mine it was this. mission was seize ground spearhead. i setup 1st while he didn't set up at all and held his whole army in reserve. i thought you could only do that in dawn or war but he was rite and so i had nothing to do for the 1st 2turns. half his army turns up turn2 and he stars the destruction of my nids. as the game goes on, I'm blowing up raiders and the like and hes slaying carnifex's.

start of my turn 5 i have 2objectives he has one, in my turn i move to contest his and we run out of time to start his 5th turn. he tells me what he would have done to show me it would be a draw. so assuming it all went to plan the game was a draw if we carried on but if we had a 6th turn then i would have prob won. in the end there was so many variables we called it a draw but what i did find funny was he didn't want to count any victory points of mine that i got in turn 5??? so i was thinking after if he wasn't counting my 5th turn then i should of still won?? anywho it was a good game.

Game 2; Tom Baldwin (113th)

so down the tables i go. tom was a young lad and had a very good army that should of prob finished higher than 113th his list had something along the lines of:

farseer with guide and one or 2other bits and bobs

3 units of 10dire avengers each in a wave serpent with missile launchers

5 fire dragons in falcon with missile launcher

5 howling banshees in falcon with missile launcher

(all the tanks had the usual holo fields and spirit stones where possible)

the mission was capture and control pitched battle. this game was very very unbloodied, i mite have lost one maybe two carnifex's but i spent most of the game blowing weapons of his tanks and not much Else.

theres so much i hate about holo fields and spirit stones. holo field at best should be a reroll on the damage table not 2dice pick the lowest. they should just put them on all eldar tanks as standard because every eldar player takes them. its a no brainier. after either of us not hurting things he has the last turn and contests his own objective that ide just got to and he tanks shocks my gaunts to contest my objective, at the start of his turn my hive tyrant was in front of his wave serpent during his tank shock so i needed to death or glory to stop the tank and from moving and win the game. hit then penetrate one roll to go, his weapons are gone so a 2+ will stop it in its tracks. 1!!!! my god my heart sank, he contests my objective and my hive tyrant gets run over as well! draw but if the game had gone on i would have kicked him off both objectives.

oh dear 2draws so even thuther down the tables i go.

GAME 3:Alan Bainbridge (142nd)

Ive only just looked but he ended up on -6pts because his list was wrong. he had a standard marine army along the lines of:

captain with lightning claws

2 10man marines with missile launcher and plasma guns

10 assault marines with no upgrades!!

5 vanguard vets with power weapons walking!

dread with assault cannon

land speeder with heavy bolter and assault cannon

land raider with chronus

no offence to this chap but he was hear to make up the numbers, he didn't win a single game all weekend and finished last. the game was a white wash, all he had left was the land raider and he was luckerly to still have that. the game ended with a much needed win.

so end of day one and Ive not lost yet but i needed to pick up 2more wins in my next 3 games to make it through. game one should have won if we had played faster or if we hand gone to 4turns (he didn't want to count my 5th turn even for victory points). second game needed 2+ to win the game. and last game was a white wash. we came second in the pub quiz, had a argument with the man in charge of running games day and the like or a question that he got wrong! woke up with was felt like the start of a cold and a bad back.

DAY2 (at this point 1 forget peoples names sorry)

GAME 4: ???? tall scot who got through the top 45

Eldar again!! dam this alien skum! the mission was capture and control spearhead set up he had something like:

eldrad ulthran

5 dire avengers in a falcon,missile launcher with holo fields and spirit stones

5 fire dragons in a falcon missile launcher with holo fields and spirit stones

10 guardians with scatter laser

wraith lord with bright lance and missile launcher

3 jet bikes with a warlock

7 striking scorpions with power claw

this wasn't the best game Ive played during the weekend, i tyred and tyred blasting his falcons who were in front of his army but through a combo of bad rolling and eldar combo cheese i only managed to immobilise 1. i wasn't getting many victory points this game at all and he kept dooming and fortune all his strength 8 weapons and i was losing carnifexs fast.

From turn 2 on wards ide started to spot something about his dice rolling that i found to be alittle odd, he had different ways of rolling depending on the situation. if he needed high rolls he would place one hand on the table as if to stop the dice from falling off and roll the dice fast about 6 inches away from his hand and get nothing but 5's and 6's all the time. when he needed low rolls he would roll from high up single dice and get ones etc. only very few times would he roll normally, for a psychic test or something or moving through cover etc. it got to the point when i knew what the results of the dice would be depending on the way he was going to roll them. the game went on the full 2 hours and ended in a draw. after the game i informed a stuard about what i saw and they had someone watching his games. they said they understand what i was saying but theres really no way of ever knowing if he was dice fixing (ie rolling one way will generate a positive set of results and another negative). so with a Lucky draw for me (one each) but some what a sour taste my mouth i still needed 2 more wins.

GAME 5 Christian Byrne (69th)

well i knew his name when i looked at the bored and it was non other than the white dwarf man himself. we have talked loads before outside both being smokers but Ive never had a chance to play him. the people to my left wanted to swap but i wasn't having any of it so they swapped the other side. its not to often u get a chance to play a white dwarf person, last year it was owen rise. i want to play phil kelly in the final. he had a wonderfully painted chaos army a joy to look at. this game was seize ground dawn of war set up. his army had the following:

1 daemon prince with wings and lash

1 daemon prince with wings and wind of chaos

1 greater daemon

3 10man csm with champs various plasma guns and a meltas

2 rhinos with extra armour

2 oblitorators

4 or 5 terminators with combi flamers

this game christian was very unlucky, i got loads of hits with my barbed stranglers and he was failing saves like no bodies business it was only a matter of time.hes turn 2 and only his lash daemon prince came down but couldn't do anything, this daemon price was taken down buy the shooting of my tyrant and finished off buy spine gaunts. he could tell it was all going wrong so in a brave move he deep striked everything behind my lines. his daemon prince off the table, oblitorators off the table, terminators off the table. it was game set and match. so a win and over an hour till my next game.

so with one game to go i still needed 1 more win, a loss would see me going out, a draw would see me going out, so I'm sat in bugmans <DELETED BY THE INQUISITION>ting myself, ide been pee 3times since my last game thinking it would be eldar and a draw again. it was orks, i was happy but then i remembered that orks are hard as nails and Ive never played them before.

GAME 6 (cant remember his name but he was at heat 3 last year and at the finals) so it wasn't going to be a push over. his army had something along the lines of:

warlord with claw

unit of 8 nobz with a claw, choppas etc pain boy all in a trukk

3 units of 10 boyz with nob with power claw boss pole in trukks

big meck with flamer, kustom force field

3 units of 2buggies with twin linked rocket launchers

6 killer cans with big shooters and 10 guys with deffguns

the mission was pitched battle with kill points. i was in with a chance as ork trukks are open toped and make of paper they could be a source of easy kill points, the nerves start to kick in and i have to run to the loo again. he goes 1st and deploys everything but his boyz and nobz in trucks. he has his big meck covering his deffguns and killer cans and his buggies in the middle. i suffer some wounds on shooting but nothing major yet, i shoot back and kill 3 buggies, a good start.

i suffer some more wounds but still nothing dead yet, his trukks begin to turn up and i fail to hurt meck but i to get two more buggies down, the other one shoots off to save the kill point. by this time i know Ive made a mistake putting my tyrant over on the far right of the bored. hes down to 1wound and i know he will die next turn anyway so i move and I'm just in range of his deffguns with my 2 twin liked devourers and kill 6 or 7 they then run off the table.

more trukks turn up and one of them shoots over and they boyz pile out and waaagh and charge a carifex. fex kills 3 and the nob finishes the fex off. the killer cans finish off the tyrant so the kill points start to roll in now. my stealer's turn up and fleet to wards his big meck. i blow up the trukk and finish off the unit of boyz who killed the fex and back away from his other trukks as i was leading on kill points. the stealer's were close to charging his big meck, i let him move the fleet move, bad idea as i was a fraction away about 4mm i try and say i didnt get moved the full fleet move but after some discussion and remeasures i give in and stand there to to get hit buy a flamer, i should have just charged the killer cans as they would have needed 5's to hit. so in his turn he kills the stealer's and in my turn i back away shooting.

its his turn 5 and its 4 kill points each there 12 minutes left, his boys now out of their trukk move to charge a fex but get only a 3 for difficult terrain they shoot some spine gaunts but did'nt kill enough to make them flee, i went to ground anyway and he gets really mad as he didn't know anything about going to ground, 6+save in the open. with very little time left to go and little for him to do its a really slow turn to try and run the clock down so i did'nt get a 5th turn and he gets the draw he needs to make it through. so start of my last turn its 4 kill points each and i have to get 1more kill point in 2minutes or I'm out so i move my tyrant in range of his big meck and shoot it with 12 shots from my tyrant, big meck is dead with 30seconds to go and we stop there i make it through he goes home. with alittle more time i could have got a few more trukks with shooting but i had what i needed and was glad to get it.

so i finished 20th overall and manage to make it through with 30seconds to go, talk about skin of your teeth stuff. all in all they were good games. alittle disappointed to have struggled so much with so many MC's in my list. but 20th was a great result for me. happy i went and even happier to have made it through. I'm off to get some holo fields and read up on how to roll dice to get the results i want. humm maybe not

Archived