Japan

newach

Sorry for bad english. Hello everyone. I wanted to ask how often you spend at tournaments and whether probably to come to you on one of these and participate? We've got company gathered from Russia (Primorye, beside your country literally fly 2:00) here hotelo to come participate. If possible.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

As I was asked about GW Japan over in the Yellow Sub thread, here's some info.

Both Jimboucho and Nakano GW have events quite often.

Check their Facebook pages (ホビーセンター中野 and ホビーセンター神保町).

Nakano, for example, had games night every Monday from 5-8, Tuesdays is club gaming night, closed Wed/Thu (unless the part-timer Tomoko is there), Fridays are often days when Takeshi will do a tutorial on something (you can call and ask him to teach you stuff. Actually last Monday when I was in he was giving a Green Stuff tutorial to another gamer). Saturdays there's either a painting/modelling event or gaming. Sundays are usually a campaign, Apoc or other gaming event.

Nakano has a seasonal modelling/painting (mainly focusing on the painting side). Current one is open now and runs until the end of Sept. No division by GW system, only three categories: single mini, large, squad. On the final day (probably Sept. 28th as it's usually a Sunday) the staff (Takeshi) chooses the winners. Additionally, over the following month anyone visiting the store can vote for their favourite, so there's also a 'people's favourite'.

Jimboucho has other, vote-based, modelling events. Currently a conversion challenge, no painting necessary. Other challenges have been based on the most recent codex release. I'm guessing after the conversion challenge they'll have a Space Wolf one. Any type of mini (from a single through vehicles and squads to an entire army) is fine.

Lastly, if I remember correctly Sat Sept 13th will be GW Nakano's 7th birthday so they're having an event then.

Wish I didn't work on Saturdays!

As I was asked about GW Japan over in the Yellow Sub thread, here's some info.

Both Jimboucho and Nakano GW have events quite often.

Check their Facebook pages (ホビーセンター中野 and ホビーセンター神保町).

Nakano, for example, had games night every Monday from 5-8, Tuesdays is club gaming night, closed Wed/Thu (unless the part-timer Tomoko is there), Fridays are often days when Takeshi will do a tutorial on something (you can call and ask him to teach you stuff. Actually last Monday when I was in he was giving a Green Stuff tutorial to another gamer). Saturdays there's either a painting/modelling event or gaming. Sundays are usually a campaign, Apoc or other gaming event.

Nakano has a seasonal modelling/painting (mainly focusing on the painting side). Current one is open now and runs until the end of Sept. No division by GW system, only three categories: single mini, large, squad. On the final day (probably Sept. 28th as it's usually a Sunday) the staff (Takeshi) chooses the winners. Additionally, over the following month anyone visiting the store can vote for their favourite, so there's also a 'people's favourite'.

Jimboucho has other, vote-based, modelling events. Currently a conversion challenge, no painting necessary. Other challenges have been based on the most recent codex release. I'm guessing after the conversion challenge they'll have a Space Wolf one. Any type of mini (from a single through vehicles and squads to an entire army) is fine.

Lastly, if I remember correctly Sat Sept 13th will be GW Nakano's 7th birthday so they're having an event then.

Wish I didn't work on Saturdays!

thanks man! that is really helpful... sounds like they do a fair bit, but first I need to start a new army, since all my stuff is back home! good to hear 40k is reasonably active in Tokyo though :smile.: 

do you have any advise for conversion bits? anywhere that does third party bits? or anything? In London we had really easy access to bits for converting in general... I am pretty sure Tokyo may be a bit more tricky for conversions and modeling... 

Thanks again man!

thanks man! that is really helpful... sounds like they do a fair bit, but first I need to start a new army, since all my stuff is back home! good to hear 40k is reasonably active in Tokyo though :smile.: 

do you have any advise for conversion bits? anywhere that does third party bits? or anything? In London we had really easy access to bits for converting in general... I am pretty sure Tokyo may be a bit more tricky for conversions and modeling... 

Thanks again man!

That's where Yellow Submarine was a godsend: buy single sprues for the bitz. With that stopped, I personally don't know of any bitz sources in-country, sorry.

When the GW stores run their occasional conversion challenges you get access to their bitz bins, I hear.

Just curious - what is 40K like in Japan?

I lived there back in 1984 but that was even pre-Rogue Trader and I was too young anyway.

Was just wondering how the whole 'Grim Dark' meshes with the culture there? And do fans also follow the fluff closely.

It's not huge, but the players are very dedicated.

Unfortunately GW cut the number of shops from around 8-10 down to 2 about three years back, though a lot of FLGS also stock GW stuff.

40k seems bigger than WHFB, but it's still popular.

To be honest the Japanese gamers I've spoken to aren't very different from those back in the UK. Love the fluff and grim dark, just speak a different language (and most speak at least some English too).

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I will be moving to Kanagawa, Yokohama in dec/ian and will be bringing 2000points of Tau with me. When the rest of my stuff arrives I will have BA and CSM as well.

Just wondering what the meta is like there. Flyers, Titans, and the like. I am in no way a power gamer although I do like a challenge.

I look forward to seeing new places and wrecking new faces.

Happy gaming,

S

Just curious - what is 40K like in Japan?

I lived there back in 1984 but that was even pre-Rogue Trader and I was too young anyway.

Was just wondering how the whole 'Grim Dark' meshes with the culture there? And do fans also follow the fluff closely?

Can't say it's any different from Europe, if the one year I've been studying there and the gamers I've met are any indication. A bunch of nice people who enjoy the hobby,  with everyone enjoying some aspects more than others on an individual basis.

• 5 months later...

GW Nakano will be moving this year (lease is up and it's a good time to move to a better location).

People can pop in and stick a pin in a map to say where they would like the new shop to be.

When I was in last weekend Shinjuku was leading.

• 3 months later...

Just moved to Japan four months ago and been playing 40K for about ten years. Took a little break when sixth came out and only played a couple games of sixth but I have not played seventh edition yet.

Just moved to Tsurumi, Yokohama and I am getting my models in next month so I am looking forward to play some games again.

I played lots of tournaments and been a competitive player but after some years I just did not like the whole competitive play style anymore and decided to make a new army and take more time painting and building it so it would look good.

I always played Marines and I love the army. Been building a Fallen Angels force, basically just black Dark Angels, every model has a robe cause I just like the look of it. Makes your models stand out a bit more then you mr standard tactical so.

Anyway just need to finish 10 more models and a Land Raider and I got about 2000 points standing ready to go.

So I want to know if there is a gaming group or some people who play living in the Yokohama area who are up for a game every now and then.

Like I said my models are coming in in about two to three weeks and if someone is up for a game please let me know.

• 5 months later...

An interesting tidbit:

Both of the Japan GWs advertised on their FaceBook pages for the following manager's positions:

New store in Kawasaki

New store in Yokohama

New store at an as yet undecided location in Tokyo

It looks like, after closing (was it four or five, six?) GW stores four-or-so years ago, they're expanding again. :tu:

• 4 months later...

A Japan update:

Ikebukuro's Warhammer store opened late last month, headed by Sven. That makes three GWs in Japan now. The new store is right in front of the station apparently. A good location, though I haven't had chance to visit yet.

Not such good news: Takeshi, manager of GW Harajuku (and Nakano before the shop moved last year) quit the company yesterday (I'm told). A shame as he was the first staff I got to know when I got back into the hobby six or so years back and as far as I know he'd been with GW Jpn since it started.

The new Harajuku staff, Yuji, seems a good guy though :tu:

• 3 months later...

GW Japan has chosen a location for its fourth store and already has a FB page. It'll be in Takadanobaba in Tokyo.

Still no word on stores opening outside Tokyo though staff say it's planned.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

A Japan update:

Ikebukuro's Warhammer store opened late last month, headed by Sven. That makes three GWs in Japan now. The new store is right in front of the station apparently. A good location, though I haven't had chance to visit yet.

Not such good news: Takeshi, manager of GW Harajuku (and Nakano before the shop moved last year) quit the company yesterday (I'm told). A shame as he was the first staff I got to know when I got back into the hobby six or so years back and as far as I know he'd been with GW Jpn since it started.

The new Harajuku staff, Yuji, seems a good guy though :thumbsup:

Wow! Thanks for the heads up! I'm in Tokyo, work near Ikebukuro...

The ikebukuro store at the station west exit is giving away free Christmas presents with purchases. I bought some paints today and was offered a choice between bits bags, bases, glue and white dwarfs. Nabbed some glue as I've just run out. Very nice of them!

• 1 month later...

I don't yet know if it's all stores but Yodobashi in Kichijouji (in Tokyo) now has a huge rack full of Citadel paints, everything from Air through Technical to Edge. :tu:

And add to that a good stock of Citadel sprays now too. Pricey, but as Yodobashi has a points-card you can use to get discounts on future purchases, I'll be buying all my paints there in future now. :tu:

• 1 month later...

Some news:

Yellow Submarine (in Shinjuku at least) has the gem paints for 550 yen (compared to Yodobashi's 550 yen for most paints but 720 for the gem paints), and they have the Battle for Vedros(sp?) sets if anyone wants some cheap reinforcements. Throw in Yellow Subs' 10% discount on GW stuff and it's very nice :tu:

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys. Today I found a little shop called 'Giant Hobby'. Its in Kōenji, one stop after Nakano on the Chuo Sobu line.  Kōenji kinda has an underground, retro feel to it and Ive been told its home to lots of live venues. But anyway the shop! It has two floors, the first has a big selection of 40k, AoS, some 30k and Forgeworld bits, random blister packs, terrain and other more Indy games. It has a good selection of citadel hobby materials as well as army painter and other Japanese brands. On the next floor it has a hobby space with painting tables, game tables, rules books and even a drinks machine inside. I spoke to the staff a little and they told me its 500yen to use the hobby space or game tables, maybe a little more if you want to use the spray paints. Today they had two AoS games on the go and a few people building and painting.

Here is a link to their website;

https://www.giant-hobby.com/

There a map to the shop on the site and its easy to find. Price wise from what I could see the 40k stuff was pretty much the same as Games workshop but its definitely a great little shop!

Archived