New GW Hobby Store in Houston, TX (Sugar Land)

Lagrath

One of the fastest growing suburban areas in the country, Sugar Land, TX, was the perfect place to live....except it lacked a place to play 40k. There was a comic book store that had it from around 2001 to mid-2007, but it suddenly closed down.

Now I found out that an official GW hobby store is opening right in the heart of the town center/city hall/mall/shopping/hotel heart of Sugar Land, next to the other restaurants and cafes! This is around 10 minutes from my parent's house, right next to all the good stuff in the city. Beats going to Katy Mills by driving 25 minutes to go a store inside a mega mall.

Anyone else live in this area?

WTB Houston GT!

Dammit! They shut down the Marq*E GW and opened a new one in Sugarland.... Well, we ALMOST had 4 GW's in Houston. So close....

Ah well. Hopefully when the Marq*E reopens they'll put my GW back. It was only like 15 mins from my house. Now I'm dead center between the Katy Mills and Rice Village GW's that are both like 25 minutes away. :rolleyes:

Edited by The Emperor's Champion

Well, I see this as a good sign. They could have just shut down the Marq-E (which was convenient for me during the week because I work downtown). So a continued expansion of GW in the greater Houston area is a big :thanks: from me.

When they are up and running, us vets should organize a "field" trip down there and introduce ourselves. We could make a positive impression by coming in with painted armies and having some fun.

I met Michael at Katy Mills and he was super nice- didn't try to push any junk on me, and gave my roommate and I painting tips for 30 minutes. He is moving to the Sugar Land store which is a great sign. If I am not gonna get harassed by the red shirts then the GW Hobby Center really WILL be just as good if not better than a local comic book store!

I am very excited, and trying to paint up my army nicely before the store opens.

Too bad I am gone this weekend for A-KOn in Dallas, and then have to do a ton of work to apply for a program in Germany :rolleyes:

Man I really wish/hope I can get a game in with you guys some time. These massive gaps between my playing does me no good in being a capable player.... Maybe before I have to wander off to college I'll get a chance to.

You realize that all 4 stores will be on our(the west) half of the city?

There is an eastern half to Houston? :P

If you go to UT in Austin you will have more gaming of 40k at college than you can shake a stick out. We get 20+ on normal weekend tournaments sometimes.

Is this old Sugarland (aka across from the old mill) or in all that new stuff down in First Colony?

Edit: Where are these tournaments at Lagrath?

Edit II: Montags is South East Houstan/Clear Lake level and there's gaming Beaumont way from my understanding.

Edited by jfrazell

It's Sugar Land as in on the other side of New Territory from the old sugar mill. The Town Center area in between New Territory and First Colony, next to First Colony Mall.

The tournaments at austin are almost every weekend at Draagon's Lair and Battleforge games. the BFG ones are the biggest. Split into hobby and heavy tournaments.

http://blacklotusarts.com/forum/

A shame you never went to Voyager Toys when they were still open (59 just outside the loop). Club membership, free sprays, paint room, game nights w/ a variety of tabletop environments, quality opponents, and a wide variety of armies were played (I was the designated Eldar guy). A friend who worked there called it the "Cheers of toy stores." Sadly, they closed sometime in early 06.

I still miss that place.

YES!

I go to the Rice Village GW. I forget who it was that just moved in with us, since Kirby left. Now I might be able to get my friend to start warhammer.

Rice is a pretty good store. If you can figure out the size of the one at sugarland, tell me, cause hopefully it's bigger.

Well, maybe we'll have battle brothers again this summer. Go Team Rice! Take down Willowbrook! (those who always beat us by a few points)

Still, we have an English guy for a store manager, who organized it all. I should prompt him to do it again.

I wonder how Sugarland will fit into the makeup of store v. store inter-city battles.

We had Willowbrook: Some killer players. A lot of people. #1

Rice: some good players, some mediocre players. Pretty high amount. #2

Katy: The loser, lost 0-5 to all stores except one game (1-4) against Willowbrook.

The Marqe was a 3rd place team, seeing as they were woefully low on gamers.

Edited by Dexter099

Tat reminds me of one of our staff talking about how we lost the entire campaign to willowbrook because te Marq-e took attacked us instead of them.

:rolleyes:

Yay, some pics, causeI haev a friend in missourri city who is a bit interested in nids. This might prompt him to start warhammer.

Edited by Dexter099

• 1 month later...

I live about 10 minutes from the new store myself. I usually go to Montag's in Pearland though. I think the new store is a little bit bigger than the Katy store. I think they should do well there in Sugarland. There were a lot of us who went to Heroes (the comic store that closed). So there are already a bunch of players in the area.

I stopped in last night and saw a couple of the guys hanging out.

Rice is a pretty good store. If you can figure out the size of the one at sugarland, tell me, cause hopefully it's bigger.

from what i hear from the rice store it should to be pretty big.

and by pretty big i mean larger than the rice store.

apparantly the place has a back room. that had the rice redshirts ooo-ing and ahhh-ing.

i should hit the new place when its open, i go down to that area every once in a while.

• 1 month later...

It feels a little bigger than say, the one at Katy. The design is pretty cool.

It is basically a long rectangle with a Kiosk-style round desk thing in the middle of the front half of the store with the registers and stuff, with all the products on the walls. The back half of the room is like 6 6x4 tables that are set up. All along the top of the wall of the whole store is plastered GW art. It's a very nice store, although I have yet to get to play there yet so IDK if it is as good as a LFGS.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...