IA: Stone Hearts MkII

Octavulg

Ah, it's been a while since I read about these guys.

The IA's looking pretty sharp, too. I couldn't find anything that seemed particularly wrong with it, so I had to settle for spell-checking. I only found two discrepancies, too.

”Reiving”

It's right at the top of one of your sidebars, and incidentally, seems to make no sense given the contents of the sidebar.

Admittedly it's explained (sort of) later on, but it seems an odd name for the formal practice of dueling for gear.

Tyrel declared this to be a sign of heresy and rebellion against the Imperium, and ordered the Stone Hearts to destroy planet.

I'd include some witty remark here if I could think of anything other than Captain Planet jokes. :)

And that's about it for mistakes.

I think the others already took care of the rest. :)

Ok, Homeworld:

Most of this seems ok, but there are a few bits that seem kinda redundant. For example, in this paragraph:

The Duke and his capital at Longford were the only truly civilized parts of the world, and even there Imperial influence was relatively weak. The arrival of the Stone Hearts did little to change that initially, but with the Chapter's ventures into commerce Cathe has been transformed. The spaceport now hums with activity, the goods of dozens of worlds flowing in and out in the holds of ships from any number of ports. To facilitate mining, farming and other undertakings in more remote regions of the planet, a system of roads and monorails now stretches across the glens and mountains, bringing all of Cathe into reach of the capital. Most clans, instead of spending their energies fighting each other, hire their men out as mercenaries offplanet, preferring a steady income and less risk to the cut and thrust of Cathian politics. Only in a few barren and harsh regions of the planet are the old ways still dominant. Close to the capital clans have fallen away altogether, replaced by the far more important considerations of wealth and debt. Where once Cathe was barren, harsh and quiet, now it rumbles with the noise of commerce and trade.

Highlighted bit is somewhat repetitive in places (harsh and barren, etc) and mostly says what is said in the paragraph after the next. I’d cut it here, and if you feel some of it is needed, perhaps add it back in two paragraphs down?

Also:

The population’s military tendencies are also maintained by the various Chapter Keeps which dot the highlands of Cathe. There, grizzled veteran mercenaries and Battle-Brothers long past their prime teach those youths of Cathe who wish to learn skills at arms and the discipline needed to turn a warrior into a soldier. The cities of Cathe may smelt, mine and sell, but the people of Cathe’s uplands still know the ways of sword and axe. The fire of the Cathians may be less bright now, but it has not gone out, and it burns within the Stone Hearts as it always has.

This is dangerous. They will gradually degrade the quality of their recruits as more and more people become farmers rather than raiders, then raising children who want to be farmers rather than raiders, etc, etc. In fact, in the millenia since the 6th Founding, why hasn’t that happened already?

Might be better to make it compulsory, to have all children attend the Chapter Keeps (although perhaps more ‘village school’ in style then ‘Ultramarine Military Academy’ :) ) where they learn about their people's glorious and bloody history and at the same time are given some kind of initial combat training. Those who show real potential are taken for the Chapter, the rest then go back into the populace as farmers, traders, etc. Finally, those who don’t make the grade but are too battle/glory-hungry to be bean-counters(!) end up going the mercenary/pirate route and, if they survive, might one day come back to help train the next generation of potential Chapter recruits.

That way, you maintain the general merchant populace, but one with an ongoing respect for the way of life that made the world a suitable place for the Chapter to recruit from in the first place?

Edited by Strike Captain Lysimachus

Lysimachus:

I think you just need to clarify why and how big a problem it could have been, and also, why it wouldn’t work without Tyrion at its head? Maybe change to something like:

So clarified – added ‘planet-wide’, and got rid of the lone nobles.

While most members of the Chapter Armoury personally agreed, the Tech-Priests took the alarming step of refusing to train further Techmarines. In itself, this was only a minor problem as the Chapter’s own Techmarines were willing and able to train others in the technical arts. However, at the same time, shipments of supplies to the Chapter dwindled to nearly nothing, with bureaucratic entanglements, piratical activity and production defects being only a few of the myriad excuses provided by the Adeptus Mechanicus. The Stone Hearts were being slowly starved of needed materials, their limited manufactory facilities simply unable to keep up with the demands of a full chapter.

Stolen wholesale.

Feels a bit wordy, personally I'd cut 'pretense of', it's unnecessary.

I find it unbalanced without ‘pretense’. It makes it seem too sincere.

Highlighted bit is somewhat repetitive in places (harsh and barren, etc) and mostly says what is said in the paragraph after the next. I’d cut it here, and if you feel some of it is needed, perhaps add it back in two paragraphs down?

Cut one of the bits about barren and harsh.

This is dangerous. They will gradually degrade the quality of their recruits as more and more people become farmers rather than raiders, then raising children who want to be farmers rather than raiders, etc, etc. In fact, in the millenia since the 6th Founding, why hasn’t that happened already?

Because Cathe’s uplands make for lousy farming but the clans aren’t fond of the city folk and won’t move in.

That and, well – they like fighting.

I took out the bit about farming to make it clearer – I never really intended it to be anything beyond subsistence or a slight surplus.

Might be better to make it compulsory, to have all children attend the Chapter Keeps (although perhaps more ‘village school’ in style then ‘Ultramarine Military Academy’) where they learn about their people's glorious and bloody history and at the same time are given some kind of initial combat training. Those who show real potential are taken for the Chapter, the rest then go back into the populace as farmers, traders, etc. Finally, those who don’t make the grade but are too battle/glory-hungry to be bean-counters(!) end up going the mercenary/pirate route and, if they survive, might one day come back to help train the next generation of potential Chapter recruits.

I’m not sure it’s necessary. Honestly, you offer a bunch of kids the chance to go learn about blood and guts and how to stick people with swords and you’ll have to hold them off with sticks. :P

That, and you offer some kid raised on stories of clans and smacking people with swords the choice between livestock and warfare and I know which he’s going to choose.

That way, you maintain the general merchant populace, but one with an ongoing respect for the way of life that made the world a suitable place for the Chapter to recruit from in the first place?

Keep in mind – the keeps are outside the cities. The cities have changed a lot, but beyond some mines and the like the uplands are still relatively unchanged.

They’re not as good as they were. But they’re still more than good enough.

Thanks for looking, man. ;) You’ve been helpful, as you always are.

Imperialis Dominatus:

Do they now...

While the inspiration for the whole banking thing was a typo in ecritter’s IA, the Templars were definitely an influence as well.

What? I have deep and sneaky plans. ;)

Ace Debonair:

It's right at the top of one of your sidebars, and incidentally, seems to make no sense given the contents of the sidebar.

Admittedly it's explained (sort of) later on, but it seems an odd name for the formal practice of dueling for gear.

Look it up. :)

I'd include some witty remark here if I could think of anything other than Captain Planet jokes.

Fixed. With the power of heart.

Thanks. :)

While the inspiration for the whole banking thing was a typo in ecritter’s IA, the Templars were definitely an influence as well.

Glad I could help. Though I'm not sure what typo that was. ;)

I've actually been meaning to look over this IA ... actually started a few times, but life got away from me. It will come. ;)

"Frozen Monetary Fortress." (the caption for your Monastery picture)

I figured it was a typo, but when I saw monetary I thought, for a brief moment, that you were doing something with banking.

At that moment I thought "Banking chapter? I know what to do with the Stone Hearts!".

And so I did. Finding out that at least part of the Knights Templar getting wiped out as they did was because they owned about half of Europe and were owed the other half rather helped, too.

Edited by Octavulg

I miss nothing, I tell you! Nothing!

A.) Quotations! Quotations! Quotations! All your intro quotes to the sections should be quoted, as it stands after the latest update you're about 50/50. This should also apply to both Ballads and Hymnals, as both are considered a form of speech and verbal communication, and thus need to identify as such.

I fixed them. :lol:

Of course, I thought that last time.

The Stone Hearts have what? Deep pockets, heavy flow of bodies and trade, Marines, and good ties with a Rogue Trader. Another chapter may be more than willing to barter or bet on any one of these. My Sons of Lightning for instance are fleet based and waging a never-ending war against every Eldar of the Veil Region. They could always use more men, and would gladly wager wargear and arms in exchange for Oaths of Loyalty some time in the future, extra material to repair their fleet when they are away from Imperial worlds, and the services of a Rogue Trader, who could be very helpful in dealing the large tracts of unexplored space, and the myriad species, and political entanglements of the Veil Region. After all, we're on pretty good terms with the AdMech and the Inquisition after we lent them a hand, so we have weapons and armor.

I dunno if they would throw duels or take a dive... msn-wink.gif But I'm sure at least one member of the Stone Hearts could best our champion once or twice. Besides, if the reward for victory is an Honor Debt that we can call on at any time, that's certainly worth the price of some armor and weapons. I think the most important factor for this idea to work is to look at what the Stone Hearts can provide that other chapters can't, and what they can't get that others can. Play to your strengths.

Revised to explain a bit about how they do such things. I appreciate the thoughts. :D

Some more thoughts for you. Otherwise, they still look and read amazingly well.

Good. :)

They paint nicely, too, which is gratifying. The lighter colors of the Ice Lords and Steel Dogs are much more annoying. <_<

No worries mate!

I find it unbalanced without ‘pretense’. It makes it seem too sincere.

I thought that was the point (skipping ahead to gene-seed section here), that the AdMech had largely forgotten the whole thing, hence a reconciliation might actually be sincere from their PoV?

Anyway, checked over the Beliefs section, seems fine, only thing I wasn't sure about was here:

They are sure that any doubt that might be raised will be easily squashed by their record of service, and failing that, by pointed words and equally pointed blades.

While 'squashed' still kind of gets the point across( :D ), did you mean to write 'quashed'? Seems a bit informal as it is.

I thought that was the point (skipping ahead to gene-seed section here), that the AdMech had largely forgotten the whole thing, hence a reconciliation might actually be sincere from their PoV?

Yes, but Vulk doesn't know that. Nor does he think that way. As far as Vulk's concerned, they can't be trusted and would be setting the Chapter up for a fall.

And considering the way Imperial organizations function, I don't blame him. It just happens that he's wrong this time.

While 'squashed' still kind of gets the point across( tongue.gif ), did you mean to write 'quashed'? Seems a bit informal as it is.

I think I did. I'll edit it in.

Combat Doctrine:

OK, good section here, but who do they actually fight? Other than the nest of Orks at the start, the article doesn’t actually mention anyone? While that’s not really a problem overall, the Combat Doctrine section is a good opportunity to remind everyone that they are still warriors first, bankers second? I’d probably just add something at the very start of the section along the lines of:

‘In the millennia since their arrival on Cathe, the Stone Hearts have continued to battle against the enemies of Mankind, facing down the ongoing threat of the Orks, Eldar raiders, and heretical uprisings. The Chapter has also on occasion sent Battle Companies south to fight alongside their brother Astartes in the Chaos-wracked sectors around the Eye of Terror.

However,....’ and then carry on with the first paragraph? (I’m guessing here as to what dangers there are in the far north-west of the Imperium, my assumption would be that it’s much the same things for which they would’ve been assigned there in the first place?)

Also, in the second paragraph, the first couple of sentences begin a bit repetitively ‘they use’, ‘they favour’, ‘they shy away’. Also, might make more sense to move the bit about using heavy firepower in the first sentence down into the paragraph?

What about:

Like many Chapters, they use equipment suited to the conditions on their home world, favoring rugged vehicles which can deal with a variety of terrain. The Stone Hearts shy away from aerospace assets – in the mountains of Cathe, the only support you can trust is that on the ground with you. The Chapter's co-operation with the Drak-Dum Brotherhood has also brought them expertise in tunnel fighting and a penchant for using heavy firepower, in particular some of the obscure artillery pieces often deployed by these aliens. This firepower is often emplaced in a strongpoint close to enemy positions, from which it rains down death until the enemy is either destroyed or moves to react – at which point more mobile Chapter forces move in.

Finally for now, it's a side point but noticed there's a typo in the article's opening quote, the last 'has'.

On Drak-Dum, they made contact with a Brotherhood of the Demiurg – and in exchange for cleansing several nests of Orks and the concession of mineral rights on Cathe's barren antarctic continent, they secured a steady stream of processed ores and munitions and technical advice from the Brotherhood's wisest craftsmen.

The last part of this sentence has a lot of ands. Perhaps a simple rewrite?

"And in exchange for cleansing several nests of the Orks and the concession of mineral right to Cathe's barren antarctic continent, they secured a steady stream of processed ores and munitions, as well as technical advice from the Brotherhood's wisest craftsmen."

Lysimachus:

OK, good section here, but who do they actually fight? Other than the nest of Orks at the start, the article doesn’t actually mention anyone? While that’s not really a problem overall, the Combat Doctrine section is a good opportunity to remind everyone that they are still warriors first, bankers second? I’d probably just add something at the very start of the section along the lines of:

‘In the millennia since their arrival on Cathe, the Stone Hearts have continued to battle against the enemies of Mankind, facing down the ongoing threat of the Orks, Eldar raiders, and heretical uprisings. The Chapter has also on occasion sent Battle Companies south to fight alongside their brother Astartes in the Chaos-wracked sectors around the Eye of Terror.

Went with:

"In the millennia since their arrival on Cathe, the Stone Hearts have continued to battle against the enemies of Mankind. On worlds across the Imperium they have faced down the ever-present threats of Orks, Eldar raiders, and heretical uprisings. The Chapter has also on occasion sent Battle Companies south to fight alongside their brother Astartes in the Chaos-wracked sectors around the Eye of Terror, and dispatched expeditions north along the rim of Imperial territory, where the light of the Astronomican can barely be felt."

Also, in the second paragraph, the first couple of sentences begin a bit repetitively ‘they use’, ‘they favour’, ‘they shy away’. Also, might make more sense to move the bit about using heavy firepower in the first sentence down into the paragraph?

Amended a little. Left the sentences where they were, because I like both arrangements more or less equally and it was less editing. :)

Shinzaren:

The last part of this sentence has a lot of ands. Perhaps a simple rewrite?

"And in exchange for cleansing several nests of the Orks and the concession of mineral right to Cathe's barren antarctic continent, they secured a steady stream of processed ores and munitions, as well as technical advice from the Brotherhood's wisest craftsmen."

Thanks to both of you for your help. I've added in quotes, thus officially completing every part of the IA. I'm not necessarily finished, mind you. I just have all the bits stuck in. ;)

Org:

Couldn’t see any problems here, except Company, Companies. While I’m at it, I think there are still one or two places throughout the article where words need capitalizing too (mostly Chapter). And while I'm going backwards, there's a typo in the opening quote (have I said that already? -_- )

Gene-seed

Those who say we have lost our ways and compromised our security by allow merchants to roam our halls have evidently never tried to reach our gene-seed vault. - Apothecary Taran Koga

Nice quote, but isn’t the saying normally just ‘lost our way’, the ‘s’ makes it sound a bit jarring? Oh, and allowing.

The Priesthood of Mars, conversely, simply cannot be bothered to return the Chapter's enmity - though they remain obdurate on the subject of supplies, the Chapter stopped bothering to remit their supply requests millenia ago.

Bothered, bothering. First sentence is a bit unclear (and long) too. Could make it:

The Priesthood of Mars, conversely, seems to have no interest in returning the Chapter's enmity. While the flow of technical supplies to the Stone Hearts has never resumed, it is unclear whether this is due to the Tech-Priest’s obdurateness or rather to the fact that the Chapter stopped bothering to remit their supply requests millennia ago.

Battlecry

Think Shinazen said, needs quotes around battlecry.

All in all, it’s an excellent piece, and completely different to any other Chapter out there. Good work!

Couldn’t see any problems here, except Company, Companies. While I’m at it, I think there are still one or two places throughout the article where words need capitalizing too (mostly Chapter). And while I'm going backwards, there's a typo in the opening quote (have I said that already? unsure.gif )

Checked. The companies in organization are, I think, OK, since I'm referring to them as organizations, not by their titles. Difference between 1st Regiment of Foot and regiments.

I fixed the other stuff you mention with various cunningnesses.

All in all, it’s an excellent piece, and completely different to any other Chapter out there. Good work!

Glad to hear it. :) Now to drag it up again in a month or two and see if there's anything I want to change about it. My one real concern at the moment is that their name doesn't really suit them.

I think too many names are given based on 'current' state of the Chapters. Chapters are named at their inception ... to this one fits. My opinion.

Oh and I do remember the "Frozen Monetary Fortress".

"Throughout humanity's history, stone has served. Stone has been a weapon. Stone has been a fortress. Mankind has built with stone, and stone has built mankind. Let us remember this, and take it to our hearts. Let our hearts be like stone - ready to serve humanity, and the Imperium of Man. For when all else has failed, stone will still serve."

I know it's a quote, but the tense in this part still seems wrong to me. Perhaps, “For when all else fails, stone will still serve.”

The Stone Hearts are products of the Sixth Founding. Upon their formal activation as a Chapter they journeyed to the home world which had been assigned to them, the tiny planet of Cathe in the north west of the Segmentum Obscurus. Cathe was a grey, rocky world, whose hereditary Duke had recently died, leaving no legitimate heir. The planet was relatively underdeveloped, and it's only city of any size was the capital, which housed the planet's only space port (which consisted of a well-packed dirt field and a Naval fuel depot). The Chapter took the ducal castle as their fortress monastery, expanding and refitting until it (and the dungeons beneath it) were a fortress worthy of the Space Marines. Most of Cathe's population were hardy clansmen, accustomed to fighting for goods, honor, and land, and these doughty warriors made excellent recruits for the Chapter.

I think it should read, “Cathe is a grey, rocky world.”

Also here, I think, “which only consisted of a well packed dirt field and a Naval fuel depot.” sounds better.

There was one small problem with Cathe. Much of Cathe's populace resented the transition to Space Marine rule, and a number of the local nobles had nursed this resentment in hopes of somehow rebelling and taking control of the planet for themselves. This resistance had coalesced behind the person of young Tyrion Cathek, the Duke's bastard son, despite his personal apathy toward the rebellion. His support among the population was significant enough to make planet-wide revolt a distinct possibility, and rebellion would mean that the Stone Hearts must either leave or suppress this challenge to their authority, greatly damaging the planet's capacity as a base. Neither option was acceptable to Chapter Master Cambrius Vulk, who chose a third course of action.

You said there was no heir, I think even a bastard son would be considered with no other option of an heir.

Vulk offered to use his influence within the Imperium to help Tyrion obtain a Rogue Trader license. The brash and foppish young Tyrion was more than willing to trade his claims at ducal office for the chance to explore new worlds and stars - especially when Vulk offered to provide a company of troops as a perpetual escort for Cathek and his heirs. Tyrion left Cathe for the stars, and the Third Company went with him as his bodyguards – and to watch him closely. Ever since, one of the Stone Heart Battle Companies has escorted whichever scion of the Cathek family currently holds the commission to trade in the region, each mustering out upon the death of their charge. The Catheks have only rarely returned to Cathe, though the population still holds the memory of the Dukes closely in their hearts.

Giving 100 fully trained and equiped Space Marines is over the top I think.

The domain of the Stone Hearts stretches widely now. Commercial routes, trading enclaves, mining concerns, exotic manufactoria, and Chapter bases dot the systems and sectors surrounding Cathe. Nonetheless, the core of their realm remains Cathe and its people.

I actually like what you've done with my typo. The Chapter does seem to be more Templar in nature, good idea.

The population’s military tendencies are also maintained by the various Chapter Keeps which dot the highlands of Cathe. There, grizzled veteran mercenaries and Battle-Brothers long past their prime teach those youths of Cathe who wish to learn skills at arms and the discipline needed to turn a warrior into a soldier. The cities of Cathe may smelt, mine and sell, but the people of Cathe’s uplands still know the ways of sword and axe. The fire of the Cathians may be less bright now, but it has not gone out, and it burns within the Stone Hearts as it always has.

I'm really not sure that Space Marines 'retire' in this way, I see them battling till death. A good idea, I just don't see it fitting into the 40k verse.

In the millennia since their arrival on Cathe, the Stone Hearts have continued to battle against the enemies of Mankind. On worlds across the Imperium they have faced down the ever-present threats of Orks, Eldar raiders, and heretical uprisings. The Chapter has also on occasion sent Battle Companies south to fight alongside their brother Astartes in the Chaos-wracked sectors around the Eye of Terror, and dispatched expeditions north along the rim of Imperial territory, where the light of the Astronomican can barely be felt.

I know we use compass directions here on the forum when dealing with location on the map, but in reality there is no North or South in space.

”Tancred and Tyria”

In this section you say that the 4th Company was Tryel's bodyguard, but earlier you said it was 3rd Company and that each company served till the death of their charge. Just a small mistake.

Ecritter:

I know it's a quote, but the tense in this part still seems wrong to me. Perhaps, “For when all else fails, stone will still serve.”

See, that doesn't feel apocalyptic enough to my mind.

'When all else has failed' moves the statement further into the future. Furthermore, 'when all else fails' implies that we should resort to stone as a last resort, which isn't what Vulk is saying.

Also, while looking at your comment on names in the Shinzaren's thread, I pondered this quote and it occured to me that my initial fears were groundless. Stone Hearts works fine. Their hearts are loyal, dedicated, and ever-ready to serve the Imperium in a variety of capacities. Like stone. Just has different connotations than one might first expect, that's all. :)

I think it should read, “Cathe is a grey, rocky world.”

While it is, we're talking about then, so it should be was in order to be consistent with the rest of the paragraph. Plus, Cathe has changed a fair bit - it's still grey and rocky, but there's more to it than that.

Also here, I think, “which only consisted of a well packed dirt field and a Naval fuel depot.” sounds better.

It does indeed. I think "consisted only" sounds even better, so that's what I did, but the 'only' definitely adds to it. :P

You said there was no heir, I think even a bastard son would be considered with no other option of an heir.

Illegitimate sons tend to get considered by people on the inside - i.e. the nobles. Outside influences tend to look at what should be happening on paper.

The succession in Spain in the 14th century is a good example - they went with the illegitimate son because the alternative was an English prince. It's amazing how most of the history of the English royal family from that era consists of "and then they were screwed out of that crown they deserved".

Anyway - point is, in the Imperium's view, there's no heir, so the Space Marines can have it. I doubt they actually went looking for alternatives.

Giving 100 fully trained and equiped Space Marines is over the top I think.

Not really. The Ultramarines sent more than a company with a Rogue Trader in the 3e Codex, and Tyrel Cathek had a full company of support in the Book of the Astronomican (though that's back in RT).

Not that you're the first to feel this way, mind you.

Look at it this way - what does it cost the Chapter? Some minor strategic flexibility. And that's not even certain, since a Rogue Trader will be fairly eager to accomodate the wishes of his Space Marine right hand, I suspect. It turns Cathek into an arm of the Chapter as much as it turns the company in question into an arm of Cathek.

I actually like what you've done with my typo. The Chapter does seem to be more Templar in nature, good idea.

Thank you. Always be on the lookout for ideas, kids!

I'm really not sure that Space Marines 'retire' in this way, I see them battling till death. A good idea, I just don't see it fitting into the 40k verse.

Chapter supernumaries tend to come from older warriors - see p. 16 of C:SM 5e. Even Space Marines get old, evidently. And the relatively cautious Stone Hearts would seem likely to have even more of those.

Plus, it brings up images of an eight-foot Sean Connery instructing people in swordsmanship. Possibly in the ruins of a castle.

I know we use compass directions here on the forum when dealing with location on the map, but in reality there is no North or South in space.

I know. But that's how it's referred to - the Ultramarines are talked about in terms of the galactic east, for example.

That said, I threw galactic in there, since it couldn't hurt.

In this section you say that the 4th Company was Tryel's bodyguard, but earlier you said it was 3rd Company and that each company served till the death of their charge. Just a small mistake.

I said the 3rd was Tyrion's bodyguard. Important distinction. Tyrel is not the man his ultimate granddaddy was.

It's almost like giving every Cathek the same first initial was confusing, or something. ;) ;)

Thanks. :) I'll look at the Pyron boys eventually. I keep getting sidetracked by computer problems. Stupid computer and its inscrutability.

• 3 weeks later...

Impossible. I am Batman, and have always been so. If you are Batman, the unmistakable and inexorable conclusion is that you are me.

In which case I still won't be mentioning you in the IA. That would be insane, talking about myself like that.