The DIY Swap marines

Sounds great, and I'm thinking it will look nice too! Thanks for the idea, the whole thing with both types of missile totally skipped my mind. That will give it a nice touch I think!

Don't forget to make the two types of missile distinguishable or all your effort in this will be easily overlooked!

T

Not really my topic to post in (Sorry guys) but on the missile launcher front, I would have guessed it would fire one rocket from either side of the cyclone launcher at a time... That way the wearer wouldn't be knocked sideways... So it would go like this (with the numbers being the empty slots in order of fire and presuming all of them are Krak Missiles):

1 k k - k k 2

3 k k - k k 4

Balancing them out that way would stop the terminator from being slowly shunted left or right, meaning he could fire those, and still use his storm bolter with some degree of accuracy. (Check out that Terminator Versus Plague Marines animation on Youtube to see what I mean.)

Oh, and so far all the work on here is fantastic...

Hey flintlocklaser sorry about the truck, the mini sounds good, looking forward, I haven't really thought about the missile dilemma before but Corus Belial may be onto something maybe

FFF FFF 1FF FF2

KKK KKK 1kk kk2

but it will look good anyway you do it, I would add a storm bolter because in reality a missile launcher and a power fist would be no good for a footslogger 30 meters away.

what is the reaper chain sprue

I believe Reaper is a seperate modeling manufacturer.

Correct...Reaper Miniatures makes a blister pack with various chains, and nasty ends for them. I've seen a few GD entries using them, and even pictured with them in WD mag...I should be ok there.

i found their site but its very hard to navigate through :devil: could someone give me a link to them or a british retailer

thanks

I couldn't find the chain set online...you may have to google it, or call them for an item number.

As to my wip...I got a little work done on him last night. Nothing is finished, I still have work to do on the face, and the armor had about 15-20 glazes of shade colors using brick red, a dark purplish red, and a few different blues. I'm playing around with highlighting colors, and I found a couple of reddish flesh tones that should work.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/lunchboxmtbr/castigatorwip4-1.jpg

Right, I've neglected this for a while, so prepare for a lengthy post :P

@ teh_perfesser: Why do you say there's something wrong with the legs? I think it looks fine.

@ Honda: heh, Glorious....speaking of that, got some minor updates on Taira Mori below.

@ ImperialTemplari: I like it...alot! recipe for the blue please :) Also, if you wouldn't mind giving me the rundown on how you made that lovely display base? I'm afraid I'm with Honda on the boots thing, though you've probably finished the scout by now.

@ BOBMAKENZIE: The hair's looking good, seems to fit with that head as well. Still think the arm looks like a weapon support...

@ Lunchbox: :D Love it. Put in my Inspiration folder. The face is looking especially nice, brings alot to the pose (if you get my meaning) The weapons also look good, and I'm surprised the =I= sword works so well. My only slight nitpick would be the right (his left) arm, looks a bit too straight. Still, it is an amazing model, and an amazing base to boot. I'm thinking a marble effect...?

You posted before I did...The red is looking fantastic, as is the face. Amazing.

@ Iacton: Your Castigator is also looking good. The pose suits the sermonising idea perfectly, which is very appropriate.

@ Brother Cambrius: Looking forward to it mate!

@ Tigris: Liking the concept, maybe have one hand on the handlebars, sort of balancing act?

@ Hubernator: Barrets Privateers!! You have your whole life (sort of) to make your Phantoms, and only a month and a bit to finish this ;)

@ flintlocklaser: I would say go with your second idea (alternating) because it looks better, and that's what you want :D Sorry to hear about the truck btw.

Now for me...I have the smallest of updates here. Any ideas for getting the banner attached to the pole? Apart from gs, I couldn't get it to work :devil: I also started on a display base, but not sure what and who to put on it. Ideas?

Keep it up guy's!!

@ BOBMAKENZIE: The hair's looking good, seems to fit with that head as well. Still think the arm looks like a weapon support...

dates here. Any ideas for getting the banner attached to the pole? Apart from gs, I couldn't get it to work ;) I also started on a display base, but not sure what and who to put on it. Ideas?

Thanks, I think with the arm its partly the angle of the photos, when I sit here and look at it, it seems obvious at some angles hes steping on the hand and at others it looks like the weapon is gettinga supporting hand. I'll try and get some more pictures of the model one I have the Flames coming out of the Flamer cure.

edit: Forgot to ask if you could use actually thread to mount the flag?

@ Tigris: Liking the concept, maybe have one hand on the handlebars, sort of balancing act?

Guess my drawing skills aren't up to much, he is supposed to be both feet on the bike and one hand on the bars leaning out to swing his axe. I see why you thought he wasn't holding on, what may look like arms and hands are in fact the vents of the powerpack (you credit me with too much detail in my sketchs of PA anatomy!)

It may end up mirrored when I get the chaos bitz to work with and perhaps he will be one foot on a foot rest and one on the seat. Either way he is definitely making use of the gyroscopic properties of bike wheels to keep his balance.

I can't wait to get home and start modelling this weekend.

T

Hi guys, only making very slow progress over the last week but here are some update photo's, still haven't decided about the scouts boots, keep uming and arring, what do you think Iacton? not sure about the feathers either, should I leave them black and white or should I add some bright colours in there?

gallery_31771_2285_131378.jpg

gallery_31771_2285_55294.jpg

gallery_31771_2285_50080.jpg

gallery_31771_2285_196237.jpg

gallery_31771_2285_188360.jpg

gallery_31771_2285_192920.jpg

gallery_31771_2285_26072.jpg

Hi guys, have done some work on the base tonight, here are some update photos, its night here so not very good lighting, had to use the flash which makes the colours over bright, added one photo with out the flash to get a better idea of the colours, excuse the blurry pict's of the IG figure, had a couple of bourbons and holding camera with one hand and figure with the other, Let me know what you think.

gallery_31771_2285_68257.jpg

gallery_31771_2285_100837.jpg

gallery_31771_2285_85203.jpg

gallery_31771_2285_160768.jpg

gallery_31771_2285_24992.jpggallery_31771_2285_91066.jpg

ImperialTemplari- Wow :o Great stuff :D I don't know with the boots, they look alright. Maybe if you put him on the base where he is going to be, we could see if it works or not.

Looking good, Ferrus :)

I'll try and get some pics tomorrow. Yellow is not very nice to paint, especially when your paint is about 3.5 years old and watery.

Hi guys, only making very slow progress over the last week but here are some update photo's, still haven't decided about the scouts boots, keep uming and arring, what do you think Iacton? not sure about the feathers either, should I leave them black and white or should I add some bright colours in there?

Your idea of slow progress is near warp speed compared to what I have got done this week :lol:

I personally think that the boots shouldn't be coloured and I would go for a leather finish to tie in with the straps.

As for the feathers, in my original, I was reluctant to add more colours than the orange and blue when I was doing the headdress bit, But I sort of wet brushed the tips of the feathers red and was well pleased with the final effect. So for my tuppence worth I would say red tips.

Other than that, they are looking top class and that poor guard won't need a barber - or a heart surgeon, come to think of it! - in the near future! :)

Hmmm...well...this sucks, but the Castigator will probably not be my 40K single entry this year. I'm afraid I've made too many gross errors to the point that salvaging the mini will require me completely stripping AND disassembling him. So, I'll finish him up as I can, to the best of my abilities.

Sorry if I got your hopes up, or let you down. :lol:

Ferrus, it's looking great, even with the blurry pic. I am going to have to ask you for your recipe when you get done! Meanwhile, hope to assemble mine over the weekend. Painting will unfortunately probably not happen before my family goes on vacation next week, but I should be able to get it all put together and some pics posted before then.

EDIT: hit complete too quick, also wanted to thank everyone for their missile rack feedback, and the sympathy over the truck accident!

@ Hubernator: Barrets Privateers!! You have your whole life (sort of) to make your Phantoms, and only a month and a bit to finish this :P

Don't remind me :lol: Well I'm going out soon to get the Commander that I'll be doing for his Chapter and the paints ta boot :P

hey guys, the painting is basically done and have started the weathering process, the chapter symbol didn't turn out as good as I had hoped, but I am fairly happy with them so far. Let me know what you think.

I like it...alot! recipe for the blue please Also, if you wouldn't mind giving me the rundown on how you made that lovely display base? I'm afraid I'm with Honda on the boots thing, though you've probably finished the scout by now.

Hey captain Raiun, the blue is enchanted blue base and enchanted/electric blue mix high lights, the base is cut from foam, dirt parts are sand glued on, wood is cut from balsa.

gallery_31771_2285_59917.jpg

gallery_31771_2285_73861.jpg

gallery_31771_2285_77221.jpg

gallery_31771_2285_7504.jpg

gallery_31771_2285_48741.jpg

gallery_31771_2285_61874.jpg

gallery_31771_2285_52360.jpg

Cambrius returns from his DoE gold hike. Not much has progressed on my end but all I need to do now is to attempt hilghlighting and the symbol (could you give me a big image and colours used please Vaaish?)

How much is happening on your end Barret? I hope my 'Nid veteran isn't giving you much trouble.

Cambrius

How big do you need? I have an EPS file, or you could zoom in on it in the IA PDF. Colors are pretty simple, blood red for the reds and sunburst yellow for the trim since gold doesn't stand out so well. you could make the disc at the center a brighter red if you wanted.

Archived