Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

space marine name generator

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

metcalfedan

metcalfedan

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,282 posts
  • Location:I'd love to say Holy Terra but then I would just be lying...
  • Chapter Name: CRIMSON FISTS!
i was looking at the chapter name generator the other day and i thought:
"how about a name generator?"

that way us players that like to name individual models can easily come up with some names...

well? how about it?
QUOTE (Cedric @ May 31 2009, 12:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
@ Captain Mike. Viva is Spanish/Italian for "long live". So "Viva Metallica", as the method is called, would roughly translate to "Long live Metallics!"

Custodian Athiair

Custodian Athiair

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,012 posts
  • Chapter Name: Salamanders
i love the idea

please oh please oh please could we have one oh great moderators let us have it (:))

please do it

Athiair :D

Probably heretical due to the Plague Zombie problem springing up in the 41st Millenium.
"What in Terra's name are you doing?"
"Um...gathering tactical data."
"With a spork?"

The Leonic Heresy (alternate history): http://www.bolterand...-leonic-heresy/

Salamanders: W:19 D:8 L:10

flintlocklaser

flintlocklaser

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,131 posts
What kind of names? Pseudo-Latinate (Ultramarines)? Pseudo-Norse (Space Wolves)? Psuedo-angelic (Dark Angels)? Pseudo-Mongolian (White Scars)? And so on, and so on...

Clearn

Clearn

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 520 posts
there is a Chapter Name Generator

Custodian Athiair

Custodian Athiair

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,012 posts
all names (:D)

oh yes there is a chapter name generaotr top of the page under fourm rules

Athiair :D

Probably heretical due to the Plague Zombie problem springing up in the 41st Millenium.
"What in Terra's name are you doing?"
"Um...gathering tactical data."
"With a spork?"

The Leonic Heresy (alternate history): http://www.bolterand...-leonic-heresy/

Salamanders: W:19 D:8 L:10

Kurgan the Lurker

Kurgan the Lurker

++ INQUISITUS EXTERMINATI ++

• +++ADMINISTRATUM+++
  • 17,698 posts
  • Chapter Name: Vultures
A name generator for your individual Marines would be impractical. There are simply too many cultures and languages for us to possibly create something that meets everyone wants.

The Cult of Orange -- None can withstand our........color

The Universe is a very big place and no matter what happens....you will not be missed.

"And maybe the Traitor Legions would come to their senses, renounce the Ruinous Powers and return to the light of the Emperor." -- Ciaphis Cain on the likelihood of a Mawloc being scared off by a melta blast.

Khestra the Unbeheld

Khestra the Unbeheld

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,973 posts
  • Chapter Name: Black Legion, Nova Devils
Find an online baby name book. :)

QUOTE (A D-B @ Sep 20 2012, 01:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"And then Khestra the Unbeheld, surely the lamest of the attending Black Legion commanders, suddenly died from exploding and everyone thought that was just typical of how much he sucked."

-- From The Talon of Horus, by Aaron Dembski-Bowden

ac4155

ac4155

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 228 posts
  • Chapter Name: Sons of Sabbat
there is a simple one on gw web site.

http://uk.games-work...amegenerator/1/

there is the link i think.

Sigismund Himself

Sigismund Himself

++SCRIBERE NOVELLUS++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,414 posts
  • Chapter Name: Black Templars
The B&C didn't create the chapter name generator. We simply host it as the 40k Cantina is no longer operative.

Simply using Google will help you in naming marines.

Hally

Hally

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 405 posts
  • Chapter Name: Iron Warriors
A "generic" name generator would be great. We already have 132 angelic names. I (with your help ;)) would love to help out find more semi-latin, "generic" 40k names.

And from my PHP experience, although limited, I do believe it would be quite easy to use the Chapter Name Creator as a base and just change the files it gets the names from. From what I've gathered about Brother Argos, I can tell he's quite adept at PHP, so I don't believe the actual making will be hard.

captain_shrike

captain_shrike

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,408 posts
  • Chapter Name: ++Iron Lords++
I remember there being a topic with lists of names from different cultures. It all came form googling......theres loads of websites on the internet with lists of names....just search for '[whatever culture] names.' Couldn't be more simple to be honest. They give definition too so you can tie them in with background etc...

Bringing The DIY Swapping Project to you since 2007!

Brother Argos

Brother Argos

++ IGNUS GLADIUS ++

• +++ADMINISTRATUM+++
  • 3,498 posts
I quite like the idea ... but I don't have the time to gather the information.

If you guys can pm me directly with lists of names with definitions please, in the following format.

Name,Definition,Origin

e.g.

David,Means Beloved,Hebrew

I can eventually gather up all the information, and produce a program for everyone <_<

Thanks,

Brother Argos
  • Teetengee likes this
Brother Argos

Brother Argos stepped forward into the reflected light of the schematic. The Techmarine went unhooded. The left portion of his face was framed with a steel plate, the snarling image of a Salamander seared into it as an honour marking. Burn scars from the Brander-Priests wreathed his skin in whorls and bands. A Bionic eye gleamed coldly in contrast to the burning red of his own.

When he spoke, his voice was deep and metallic.

- Heroes of the Space Marines - Fires of War : Pg 190

Iron Hands - A new beginning

Beefus Maximus

Beefus Maximus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 0 posts
*runs into forum

Doesn't seem like this ever got finished :P

I just built one here, using a mixture of phenome generation and pre-existing libraries:

Space Marine Name Generator

Enjoy! :)

Beefus

PS- I can build one for the forum if the mods wanna commission me! :)
PPS - I've also got an advanced version of a Chapter Name generator that allows for thousands of more combinations by being able to handle complex Chapter naming, not just adjective + noun (Iron Ravens). It can do noun + nouns (Hawk Guard), noun + belonging (Scythes of Fenris). or noun + adjective (Knights Errant).

Edited by Beefus Maximus, 03 July 2011 - 11:30 PM.

commander alexander

commander alexander

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,893 posts
  • Chapter Name: Space Wolves
What about simply creating a library or codice of names, along with brief meanings. With norse names for exampls, and possibly latin and greek, a list of root words and meanings. Bjorn, Beorn, Born- meaning bear, or bee hunter. Ulfr'- meaning wolf or hunter.People may then us those to creat their own names like Beowulf- bear-wolf, or bear-hunter.

QUOTE (Lord Melvin @ Aug 5 2011, 06:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Autonomous? You speak heresy brother. The Adeptus Mechanicus will censure you for that. All you need to do is lobotomize a squirrel and you can have Power of the Machine Spirit.
QUOTE (Grey Mage @ Jun 4 2010, 12:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do you play SWs, are are you just hear for the ale?

Brother Tyler

Brother Tyler

++ FIDELIS MILITUS ++

• +++ADMINISTRATUM+++
  • 17,307 posts
  • Chapter Name: Exorcists

What about simply creating a library or codice of names, along with brief meanings. With norse names for exampls, and possibly latin and greek, a list of root words and meanings. Bjorn, Beorn, Born- meaning bear, or bee hunter. Ulfr'- meaning wolf or hunter.People may then us those to creat their own names like Beowulf- bear-wolf, or bear-hunter.

There are plenty of existing sites that already do this. We could provide links to extant sites, or we might compile a library here. Either option will work well enough (assuming external sites are comprehensive enough).

Let's start by replying with links to external sites that provide names/meanings. Simply list the theme of name the site covers (e.g., Roman, Japanese, Apache, whatever) with the URL. We can then assess whether we want to provide this capability by linking externally or by collecting internally.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

commander alexander

commander alexander

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,893 posts
  • Chapter Name: Space Wolves
Excellent source for norse root words and names. http://www.vikingans...m/ONNames.shtml

Edited by commander alexander, 09 July 2011 - 05:01 PM.

QUOTE (Lord Melvin @ Aug 5 2011, 06:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Autonomous? You speak heresy brother. The Adeptus Mechanicus will censure you for that. All you need to do is lobotomize a squirrel and you can have Power of the Machine Spirit.
QUOTE (Grey Mage @ Jun 4 2010, 12:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do you play SWs, are are you just hear for the ale?

Beefus Maximus

Beefus Maximus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 0 posts

How about generating... all your DIY chapter lore? http://www.escapethe...lore_generator/

Enjoy :)

Inquisitor Ehrenstein

Inquisitor Ehrenstein

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 16 posts

I could probably make one.  I can also add an option for people to select language origins and an interface to add names to the generator.  I could also make a variant for each race and make a MediaWiki special page extension version.

Gamer-Net profile | Warhammer Search Engine | Army background

Inquisitor Sasha ЯR

Inquisitorsasha@sturmkrieg.ru

tdemayo

tdemayo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 217 posts

I have found http://www.gaminggee...urces/KateMonk/ invaluable for naming characters.  The Space Marines seem mostly to have medieval European names, primarily Latin, with a smattering of Greek. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users