Generic summoned daemons

So during a recent Apocolyspe game, I ran into a, a bit of daemon trouble, first off, It was Choas vs Imperial forces, and I was using my trusty warp rift, the problems started when the daemons started comming through, they were plague bearers, and another guy was using the Daemon codex Plages bearers, and it was really hard for my opponets, (who really had no experience with all the Codex crazy-ness that is chaos) to understand that the exact same models, were two completely different units, it only got worse when 2 units of different bearers got locked into one single combat, and trying to explain to 4 people at once was not fun in the least.

So i've desided to build my own generic summoned Daemons, since there isn't really a model for them, I've desided to go with giant snails and slugs since that's the theme i want with my nurgle troops, That or maybe a big flock of carrion birds pecking on body parts. Anybody have Ideas or teaps to create unquie and new daemons, I feel they can be like Ork battle wagons. Where I can use my creativity to come up with something cool out of a "Generic" Unit.

Use Night goblins with ordinary goblin heads, replace the spear tips with tridents and model on a forked tail.

Finish by painting them bright red.

The concept of generics deserves nothing less ....

Just take a chunk of modelling clay and plop it on bases. It simply hasn't coalasced into a definitive form yet...

Seriously, that really should do well and be reasonably cheap. Everybody understands, and they truly represent their status in the codex: a pile of crap (at least fluff-wise and that they replace all the cool daemons).

Have you considered zombies, ghouls, and skeletons from the Fantasy range? They can represent the effects of the Destroyer Plague and Zombie Plague on the planet's local population, and the 'summoning' can simply be the little 13 point craptastic minions bursting out of the ground. Higher WS, T, and I represent undead strength, speed, and durability, and a 5+ invulnerable represents that sometimes, a shot passes through the ribcage, or blows off half a torso and the zombie keeps coming, until a headshot is delivered.

Use Night goblins with ordinary goblin heads
Head swaps on the Night Goblin would be very tough. The plastic Night Goblin model has a one piece body and head.

But Night Goblins would totally work and are a great deal. Plastic Skavens are a great deal too: Night Runners or Plague Monks. You could also use Skinks or Crypt Ghouls. And, of course, the Beasts of Choas line has some great choices: Beastmen or the more expensive options of Beastigors, Khorngors and Pestigors.

For my own Chaos army, the Lesser Demons represent mercenaries and canon fodder employed by the Legion. They are, in essence, converted Space Marine Scout/Chaos Marauder hybrids. The 5+ invulnerable can be explained as soemtimes those guys are just lucky. :huh:

The concept of generics deserves nothing less ....

This made me think. Sure at first blush, the generic daemons is rather off-putting and uninspiring. In another thread I suggested blobs of green stuff with daemonicus genericus majoris stamped into them. Others in this thread have suggested similar things for the lesser daemons. Something like the <DELETED BY THE INQUISITION>e daemon from the film Dogma should do nicely. One could kick it up a notch and add a khornate arm, some nurglish pustules, slaaneshi tentacles etc to make it a mulitkulti daemon.

But there is an opportunity here albeit a sarcastic one. Why not create a 5th power of chaos, one that represents blandness, insipidity, tastelessnes: the god of the mundane. We've got gods of violence, change, death/rot and sensation/pleasure. Why not one dedicated to placidity, simplicity, the unperturbed, the bureaucrats, the comfortably numb? His acolytes would abhor grandeur and gaudiness, draping themselves in dull grey fabrics in the most basic of styles. They would listen to the 40k equivalent of muzak.

We'd need a name and a symbol. I found a name generator on the web and generated a few names that I thought might fit:

fertus

fedlui

florn

pullientig

pleshime

qodvoc

Or maybe he needs to be monosyllabic: he is Um.

I suddenly had pictures of the neutral human culture from Futurama.

Neutral President: I have no strong feelings one way or the other.

Neutral President: All I know is my gut says maybe.

Neutral President: If I don't survive, tell my wife, "Hello."

The President's Aide: Sir, we're on beige alert.

And I do like the idea of Um Daemons. "Oh no! Beware their neither firm or gentle touch! It might cause lukewarm sensations!"

I like the idea of maybe brown/grey suited buerocrats charging towards their opponents with briefcases in hand... the legions of Um of course need to employ the blandest and most undeserving tatters of humanity.. Lawyers!

I can see them chasing rhinos ready to sue or defend the death or glory guardsman who just got crushed...

the 5+ save representing the ability of the lawyer to hold up the enemy's attack in an infinity of litigation!

I used to use Dryads. I say used to 'cause while it was a nice idea, my paint scheme left a lot to be desired and kind of fouled up the miniatures a bit. Plus they didn't blend in terribly well with the Possessed kit (none of the daemons do; they seem to be, well, very generic, but don't tie into any daemonic miniatures I own).

If you're looking for something suitable for Nurgle, I say Crypt Ghouls. They make better daemons than they do Ghouls, anyway...

Use Night goblins with ordinary goblin heads
Head swaps on the Night Goblin would be very tough. The plastic Night Goblin model has a one piece body and head.

But Night Goblins would totally work and are a great deal. Plastic Skavens are a great deal too: Night Runners or Plague Monks. You could also use Skinks or Crypt Ghouls. And, of course, the Beasts of Choas line has some great choices: Beastmen or the more expensive options of Beastigors, Khorngors and Pestigors.

Skaven --- wow I love that idea --- I got about 10 from my old HeroQuest stuff :lol:

Then why not use your Plaguebearers AS Plaguebearers? In Apocalypse that seems to be perfectly OK...

(But it IS cool to have your "own" lesser daemons)

becuase not everyone plays apoc?

I mean fair doo's if you have 3000+ armies

but some of us just don't have that resource

or if your me

you don't even like apoc!

I like idea of the "bland god", but in sticking with the theme of his army go with ghouls/zombies/giant nurglings/skellintons/flys

OMG A GREATER BLAND DEAMON!

OR A BLAND DEAMON PRINCE

the possibilities are endless......

Archived