Fluffy lists?

i wonder, how many people play fluffy lists this time.

ie:

-army is not lead by Daemon Prince all the time

-your sorcerer have non-slaaneshi [edited it: was typo] mark or markless

-you actually use lord and daemon weapon.

-you use basic chaos space marines en masse

-you do not take any oblit

-you refuse to take suicide terminator squad

-you take 10 man strong squads in rhino

-you take dread

-you take summoned lesser daemons

-you take plasma pistols on raptors/zerkers/characters

-your lord or sorcerer do not have wings

-you take possessed often

basicaly - do you try to make list look like 'real fluff wise'?

or it is all about winning and use 'the only one true rooster' ?

this reflection comes after 2500 points battle where i employed 3 man bike [!] squad and 4 10xman chaos space marine squads and 2 lords, and plasma-pistol-equiped-raptors

I use an EXTREMELY fluffy army at the moment, at least in my eyes. It looks like this:

HQ:

Chaos Lord in Terminator Armor, MoN, Daemon Weapon

2 7x Terminators w/ MoN

1 7x Chosen w/ MoN and 5 x Plasma

ALL Troops are Plague Marines

Heavy is OCCASIONALLY Havocs, but a lot of times I'll take a Pred and Vindi. These are the only points in which they may deviate from Death Guard fluff.

I only use what I consider "fluffy" lists. Winning is great, but there's more to this hobby than a W/L record. You won't see a lash in my list either. Just personal prefrences.

That being said, I'll play against any player and any list, anytime. ;)

~fearlessgod~

I play extremely fluffy Word Bearers. Always use a Lord (Apostle) with a daemon weapon (crozius). Now, granted, I'm using some options to make things the way they used to be and are thus more "counts as" than actual, such as the Apostle's MoT counting as the rosarius and speeches of hate (striking down those not on the true path, regardless of armor (well mostly)). Sometimes the First Acolyte of the Host shows up, flying around on his daemonic wings, finding particular amusement in turning the enemy into spawn and laying the smackdown with his force staff.

Typically the army is joined by The Annointed, 5-10 terminators with autocannons, combi-meltas/flamers, chainfists, etc, depending on who feels like fighting that day. Or even 15 of them. They are typically followed by the Gluckselig, a unit of 5-10 possessed. Up to 10 chosen of the host think it's fun to infiltrate with four plasma guns, but who am I to disagree.

Without fail, a pair of 10 man CSM squads rumble into the fray transported in their rhinos, with enough weapons between them to tackle any unit in the game. Depending on the currents of the warp waxing and waning, 5-50 daemons are summoned to do the work the Word Bearers won't sully themselves with, such as fighting MC's and weakling Guardsmen.

The decrees of this Dark Apostle involve having lots of heavy weapons to obliterate the enemy, leaving them in a weakened state so that they may accept his preachings. Thus, a pair of havoc squads, one with four heavy bolters and another with a pair of autocannons and a missile launcher are on call, as well as a predator armed with an autocannon and lascannon sponsons. The Host is commonly followed by a pair of Obliterators, affectionately named Tweedle-Dee and Tweedle-Dum by the Apostle. They follow like dolphins, and join any battles they find favorable. The Apostle's pride of place goes to the pair of daemon-engines he has personally summoned daemons into, a pair of defilers with all manner of interchangeable ranged weaponry.

So basically, I go with almost every point. I would do more, but since it's actually my girlfriend's army, and she doesn't care for the look of dreadnoughts (much prefering defilers), I doubt that would happen. Whatev, I play for fluff and never lose.

I always play with fluffy armies. There are certain things I won't use b/c it does not fit the fluff of my army. I think that people that play for max power with no reguard for fluff are missing maybe the most interesting part of the game. (And making up some BS about why your NL, WB, AL, IW, WE, DG, or TS army is led by twin lash, slanny DP's is not playing a fluffy army)

Fielding a fluffy army is one of the most enjoyable things the hobby has to offer, in my opinion. My Night Lords shun faith like in the old days and have no mutations whatsoever thanks to their mostly pure geneseed. You won't find a single icon/mark in the entire army, just like there are no oblits, daemons, possessed or anything along these lines. I have even forsaken the Undivided shoulder pads from the sets and now they patiently await the time I start a Word Bearer army. Less than half of the parts I've used come from the loyalist sets, but this time all the aquilas, imperial iconography and gizmos will be used in my Iron Hands. The army is led by a Lord with a jump pack and lightning claws, and a second HQ would definitely be another Lord... on a bike. Some more bikes are sitting around in their boxes right now, but I will be fielding them.

right now am playing with a fluffy BL list with 2 lash sorce [twins sent to find the tree of life at horus order , but in fact they are old EC agents from the times of the legion war ] , oblits [converted fallen ad mech from horus times ] and PM in troops [bL ship bording company] ah veterans in terminators squads , but because there are so few of them I only use 3 man squads [fluff thing].

Well, it's not hard to field a fluffy army when you play Word Bearers. The IA actually say that the army struction can change and re-shape at any time without any logical or sane tactical reason, all depending on how the Apostle feel at the time or depending on the visions he's been granted. :huh:

So as a Word Bearer you can do pretty much anything and blame it on the visions of the Chaos Gods if anyone get's picky on them ;)

TDA

I HAD a very 'fluffy' Slaaneshi army. Alas, well over one third of my models are invalid now.

And if I ever hear someone say 'counts as' I'll scream....

Also started on a 'fluffy' Iron Warriors army but stopped in mid stride after the new codex came out.

Give me back my soul GW!

Fluff before dishonour!

My Alpha Legion forces take on different charactoristics depend on which commander I decided to field (I have 4 - 2 sorcerors and 2 lords)

Tonight, Mathew, I will be fielding the big Gaffer, SenseiLord Ashahara who favours mounted infantry and men on the field.

Ergo, with him and his 4 terminator buddies ( The Fydaeen ) he will be taking a spearhead (10 marines in rhino and 5 bikers, Preditor) backed up the Dreadnought Keemael , another 10 man legionare squad and 10 havocs with heavy bolters to provide 5 support.

My mood dictates my commander and my commander dictates my force.

Hardly ever, in fact.

-your sorcerer have non-tzeentch mark or markless

Mine's Slaaneshi.

... haven't for a while. Although I have, and will do again.

Define 'en masse'. I always take one squad, often two. It's difficult to field anything 'en masse' in a CSM army.

They're the only Heavy Support I own. I built them myself out of Imperial Terminators and learned to paint skin especially for them. I can't afford tanks.

I don't even own Terminators.

Yes.

-you take dread

Yes.

Yes.

On Berzerkers. Tempted on the Raptor front, but mine aren't easily adjusted to carry pistols.

My Lord doesn't. He dies a lot, but I persevere.

Up until I ruined the models, yeah. Now I need some more Possessed.

I'm not sure how many of these choices reflect my adherence to the background, though.

q:daemon prince?

a:i do not use it outside tournaments

q:sorcerer?

a:i do not use any actually

q:daemon weapon on lord?

a:all the time!

q:chaos space marines?

a:i use them a lot[en masse means about 1/2 per thousand points.i use about 2-4 depends on size of the battle [10 man strong]]

q:oblits?

a:i do not use outside tournament when i taken 2 of them

q:terminator suicide squad?

a:i must addmit i love my 3-4 man strong combi-plasma terminator squad. and they are really expendable for me. but meh, terminators suits 'fast army' image [fastest way to enter the battlefield fluffwise]

q:rhino 10 man squads?

a: love them

q:dreads?

a:mine have assault cannons ... so no, i do not take them unfortunetely

q:lesser daemons?

a:very often, but in low quantities - 1 squad of 8 or so ...

q:plasma pistols?

a:my chaplian have one and my raptors, but i do not use it very often ... they are waste of points imo [which is shame, but i sometimes use them]

q:wings?

a:i use jump pack :nuke: yeah, but could be worse - i could buy them bike ...

q:possessed?

a:never taken them, i anyway fight uphill battle too often ...

i wonder, how many people play fluffy lists this time.

ie:

-you take dread

basicaly - do you try to make list look like 'real fluff wise'?

or it is all about winning and use 'the only one true rooster' ?

this reflection comes after 2500 points battle where i employed 3 man bike [!] squad and 4 10xman chaos space marine squads and 2 lords, and plasma-pistol-equiped-raptors

ie:

-army is not lead by Daemon Prince all the time --- Yup I do not even own one Yet!!

-your sorcerer have non-slaaneshi [edited it: was typo] mark or markless --- MoCU, But is a Sorcerer

-you actually use lord and daemon weapon. ---- Yup somtimes I use my 2nd in command --- MofS, Power Armor, and Palsma pistol and Power Weapon.

-you use basic chaos space marines en masse --- Oh yea squads of 12 or more

-you do not take any oblit --- do not own or want.

-you refuse to take suicide terminator squad --- None of my squads are used for suicide -- unless u count bad dice rolls :lol:

-you take 10 man strong squads in rhino -- Yup my Berzerkers, and Possessed ;)

-you take dread -- sorry not yet!!! ;)

-you take summoned lesser daemons --- Yup

-you take plasma pistols on raptors/zerkers/characters --- oh yea

-your lord or sorcerer do not have wings -- wings nope Termi Armour :lol:

-you take possessed often --- every chance I get. :D

I swear by fluff! It is what makes 40k so great. I've read Dark Apostle and made numerous notes for my army list. I've been busy with that list for hours if not days. Tweeking it to make it fluffy. I really don't care about winning many games. I want an awesome force that resembles one of the terrifying legions.

tbh, I think people who make lists for the win ruin the game. The guy who got me into 40k was such a type. He assembled his army in a few minutes and didn't paint them to play with them as fast as possible.

I hate obliterators and I think they only fit in an IW army. I don't think you should take Berserkers with a Death Guard army and I don't like "count as" rules. Now, as a WB player I was kinda disappointed with the new codex, but it certainly won't keep me from adding demons, and in multiples of their gods.

I've even been planning to make a miniature Gehemehnet, only scaled down alot.Even on a 1:68 scale it would be about 80m high :P

Planning to include a lord, havent yet.

N/A

Plan to.

Gonna include 30 or so in my next list when i collect money.

Single pair, (I would contest that as being unfluffy, taking 9 is unfluffy, a single pair isnt i would say :P)

Yup.

Cant afford Rhinos right now, want to.

-you take dread

Nope, defilers, better looking, better rules.

Once again, going to buy some bloodletters soon

Nope

Planned lord to be termi armour with bodyguard.

Too expensive, points better spent on more marines.

Ive ended up with a not exceptionalyl fluffy or unfluffy list but one i have fun playing with.

What would Periclitor or Krieg Acerbus's warbands say to that?

I don't use Sorcerers.

I sometimes do.

Always did!

I take two thank you very much, I fail to see what's unfluffy about them.

They (like the NL) hire themselves out.

Instead, they sweep across the Eastern Fringe in a campaign of genocide and terror the likes of which has never been seen before, or since. The legion betrays the increasing sense of self-destruction which drive them.
Why refuse to take something that fits the fluff?

Max 8, tried with 10, 8 feels better.

-you take dread

I'm sorry but until the unit becomes playable I won't field any.

Hmmm, my 'enslaved' Furies can no longer fly, so I don't.

0 fluff relevance either for or against. :D

Mine has a jump pack.

Four times was enough for me (in my Slaanesh list), they're shelved now. See comment on dreadnoughts.

My 2 Kraks.

Just to answer these-

A) Depends on my mood and if I want to stomp you with a flying warptime slaneeshi party demi god. :lol:

A) Not a fan of sorc's, fluffwise too egotistic and up themselves. "i melt your brain and..." *head explodes when chaos lord opens up with a skillful bolt pistol volly Inspector Tequila aka "hardboiled style* "All talk, no hallange" mutters chaos lord. Game wise- I prefer the DP- see above.

A) Blissgiver, love it. ;)

A) Cult troops are too gimmicky and like eldar aspect warriors- dose one thing really well but sux at everything else. I just love the versitility of of regular CSM's- and their cost for what they do.

A) No way, I just can't compared to the old ones its just too painful. :cry:

A) I like termi's too much to do that to them...

A) Only for the dual specials or I would take 8 men like I used to...

-you take dread

A) Never will. Sure I like the fluff but I like it when the fluff and the unit match- the dread just is not as good as it was in the old dex with the vechicle armoury. It matched the fluff there.

A) They make good destractions for when you bring in chosen and/or termi's. I guess I should try to work them in my list.

-you take plasma pistols on raptors/zerkers/characters.

A) I fail how to see taking plasma fits CSM fluff. The only famous examples of this are Khârn and Cypher with their plasma weapons. Also mabye a band of fallen DA's but thats about it.

A) Jump pack, so no wings.

A) Actually possesed are a rarity in the fluff and there are not as many as you would think. Hence why no one likes to use them. No its got nothing to do with their rules I swear. :lol: Seriously what they were before was a more true reflection of what I envisioned possesed to be. I liked the idea of the marine dictating the level of possesion and patronage with marks and select demonic powers. For example a possesed of Khorne dominates a lesser flying demon with his disiplened marine mind and exploits its power for his own benifit. More cool than generic demon mind control giving out random power because it can. How deep and intuitive. B)

You can play to fluff and still have an army that puts up a good fight. It just won't have all the uber choices of a tuned tourny style army.

right here is my reply

most likely, but i love the model (he is the commander of the grand company)

-your sorcerer have non-slaaneshi mark or markless

i didn't even have a sorceror until this codex now my converted lord is now the sorceror in terminator armour, and no he doesn't and won't have a slaaneshi mark, ever. (he's started down the path of the changer of ways)

yes, but now i have to build a new one. (still in the old fluff though, but he's missing)

i have 4 squads without marks or icons (though one squad has an imperial fist marine standard). but i do have a 'khronate' attack squad (bezerkers) for going into the breech first.

they're fluffy for iron warriors so i have 3 not nine

i have 5 termonators, they'll go in a landraider whith the lord or sorceror

all my squads are ten man, so i can put any in i want

-you take dread

hell yeah, i've got a FW IW one with PC, i'll always take it. i've been thinking of getting one with twin ccw and an assult drill. (i love dreads even though the rules suck)

not fluffy

i don't really take them although some champions have them

pah, wings are for night lords

noo way, i'd only take possesed if i converted, even then they're not my cup of tea

I still stay strictly to the IW rules from the previous codex and their IA article.

So no greater deamons, summoned lesser deamons or cult units besides khorne berzerkers.

army is not lead by Daemon Prince all the time

How is this not fluffy, my grand company is 10K points, you bet that I have a DP leading this massieve force, for any smaller games I use his lesser commanders.

your sorcerer have non-slaaneshi [edited it: was typo] mark or markless

Undivided sorceror

you actually use lord and daemon weapon.

Lords with powerweapons but no deamon weapons.

you use basic chaos space marines en masse

Lots of them, every list of mine has at least 50 marines in it.

you do not take any oblit

Sorry but IW fluff shows they make heavy use of them.

you refuse to take suicide terminator squad

With sqauds of 10 terminator I sure as hell don't use them for suicide.

you take 10 man strong squads in rhino

Only for those sqauds in rhino's, all the other sqauds are either 9 or 12 man large to comply to the prefered working in multiples of 3.

you take dread

With the rules those 2 retarded idiots wrote for it, only from time to time as I like the models too much.

you take summoned lesser daemons

Since I'm IW, NO.

you take plasma pistols on raptors/zerkers/characters

Yes but I'd rather use boltpistols.

your lord or sorcerer do not have wings

No mutations in my army, my lords walk across the battlefield.

you take possessed often

No as they don't really fit with the IW fluff and are very rare in this legion.

these are just guidelines. it is basicaly asking if you use most point effective units [like DP with wings and lash, slaanesh sorcerer with lash, lots of oblits] and less effective units who fits the fluff [dread, possessed,lesser daemons, plasma pistols on raptors/lord].

it does not say that using some of them means you're unfluffy player. [just the lists consist of most points effective options is basically unfluffy - 2 winged DP? slaaneshi? 9 oblits? khorne zerkers? suicide termis? gah!]

Don't own one, nor will I buy more than one!

Played a slaaneshi sorceror, he got owned by Eldar farseers, Now you know my displeasure with lash, Jeske!

always

yes

don't own them, prefer havocs to the overpriced terminators!

footslogging versions

only berserkers!

-you take dread

don't own one

don't own any

yes, my csm squad has twin plasma guns, and a plasma pistol for the AC

sorceror had jump pack, don't used it anymore... dam lash!

Yes, with the icon of tzeentch, and they made there points back all the time

"these are just guidelines. it is basicaly asking if you use most point effective units [like DP with wings and lash, slaanesh sorcerer with lash, lots of oblits] and less effective units who fits the fluff [dread, possessed,lesser daemons, plasma pistols on raptors/lord]."

I agree , and the make up of my force will dictate what units I take.

I'll take spawn, lesser daemons, possed and dreds in my WorldEaters army but not with my Alpha Legion.

And plasma pistiols are effective. They just have a chance of klling your own men and are extremely rare (and last time i fielded 3, 2 of the guys got melted on their first shots. sigh )

Might as well jump on the band wagon...

Since the loss of the Dreadaxe, I field him less

-your sorcerer has a non-slaaneshi mark or is markless

When I use him, he's unmarked

I actually do (!), unmarked on a (jet)bike. Every now and then I like to use Huron.

Of course.

Never been a fan of them, I like what they do but they're not for me.

A what now?

Not big on Rhinos either, and I do tend to field 11 man units ;)

-you take dread

Often, for a laugh.

Rarely, I do use the Generic Greater Daemon though.

I've got excess models with plasma pistols, if I didn't have to choose it over other (better) weapons I'd field more.

Nope, no wings - yet

I used to, and when I get round to buying the current box of plastic possessed I will do so again.

Given that I play a renegade chapter I'd say I play in a fairly fluffy way. Then again, you can justify any list with decent fluff and a little commitment to it

Archived