Daemon Prince size

Crucifer

back to constructive!

The "official" DP model is all kneeling and hunched over, I'd grab a measurement from that, and take a plastic Terminator, (if thats the look you want) and make it standing as tall as that, really impressive standing, like Primarch Tall, then not only is it bigger then a "normal" CSM to the letter of model hieght, its the same, nobody really can say anything to you, at all.

if you need some tips and Ideas check out any of the Primarch threads in PC&A someone did a really easy and fantastic Leeman Russ recently, and their ideas should be stolen =P

I'm sorry if this sounds dumb or if it has been asked, but which base is the daemon prince supposed to use? I'm fairly certain when i bought mine awhile ago it was on a 40mm base, but is that wrong? Thanks guys and sorry if thats a repeat. And sorry for the thread-jack but I'm confused now.

-Butch

One of the gamers i game with uses a converted slann, it looks awesome, very much the evil mastermind daemon prince. An thats not particularly massive but cos he's on a giant seat (its converted to look like a evil genius chair) its big enough to suit the big base. He gets nothing but complements for it. So aslong as it looks good and daemonic i cant see an issue. Just dont use some something that cant be told apart from a chaos lord.

On the nurgling daemon prince, why not buy a bunch off them glue em into the shape off a guy and use that it would look awesome! and amusing to look at.

Alright. What base your daemon prince is on depends on what armor he's wearing. If its power armor, the standard (40 mm?) bases will do. If he's wearing terminator armor, then the larger (I think 60 mm) bases are required. I'f he's got daemonic stature, then he goes on the really big base. All monstrous creatures and walkers have to go on the big base.

It is cheating otherwise, and I would definitely have problems with that. Also, with 5th edition, true line of site means that bigger models have a harder time getting cover. If he were to say that his small model was a montrous creature, there would probably be at LEAST an arguement. If he didn't concede the point, I would just not play him. If it were a tourney, I would take it up with the ref. If the ref doesn't vote in your favor, I'd stop playing at that store. As it is full of people who suck at life.

Er, no, Maniclurker, that's not right. The Daemon Prince model is sold with a 40mm (terminator sized) base, and a DP model may be mounted on a base of that size or larger.

There is no such thing as Daemonic Stature, anymore, nor is there such a thing as a Daemon Prince in Terminator Armour, per se. All Daemon Princes are monstrous creatures, but nothing about being a monstrous creature dictates the size their bases must be.

A Terminator base or larger is all that's required for a DP, and putting a Monstrous Creature on a Terminator Base (if that MC is a DP) is certainly not cheating.

Demon Princes use a 60mm Base, aka the Dreadnought bases. So you can go bonkers on that base.

My friend had a wicked looking Spikey Marine that was his Demon Prince. So you kinda ignored, and maybe later in the game you just assume its a color Champion, until it whips out 8 attacks on the charge, and rips through your units.

The pictures in the codex shows them on a 40mm terminator base and my Daemon prince came with one.

Also with true line of sight in 5th edition it'd be kind of cheesy to make your Daemon prince easier to hide so at least give him a large scenic base to make him as tall as a regular Daemon Prince.

Otherwise people might get a bit miffed.

This the main thing to keep in mind. Fluff wise in Chaos, a demon prince is just a marine that is more then half demon from so much corruption from the IoT. He can physically look like anything really.

But for 5th Ed games, they are saying models need to be put on their original sized bases and model sizes etc, if not, you need opponents permission to use the model in the game. That is to keep people from making a monstrous creature demon prince the same size as a standar marine on the 22mm base, that can easily hid behind vehicles and stuff. Or taking some assault marines and putting them on 8" high flying bases, so they can see over units and vehicles and terrain.

So with that in mind, I would be sure to put your model on the larger 40mm base that the standard DP model comes with. Make him a little larger like in termi armor, and with your wings add on, should be as tall as a standard DP model. Just tell people that if they can see the wings, they can shoot it, just like rules stating if you can see an arm you can shoot it. No one should have a problem then.

I have converted all three of my Daemon Princes, and I typically use an old Avatar model for my sizing. I have one really huge one (has trouble fitting on a Dreadnought sized base) and a couple smaller ones. One thing I have found to be fantastic for improving the height on my smaller DPs was to use the rock out of the recent Terminator lord box set. It helps to bolster the height a bit without interfering too much with the pose and construction of the model itself. I think so long as he is a reasonable amount larger than a Terminator model, few people will have any real problem with it.

Archived