"Dropin it like its hot Sucka"

Tsepha

Not worth it in games with less than 1500pts per side. Too much of your army is taken up in immobile transports. They rock in 1850+. My best drop pod armies, put a command squad of termies, 4-5 tac squads with 2 melta guns/ power fist and two dreadnaughts with heavy flamers.

It's good times.

Mycroft

I run an all-pod list at 1000 points and up (except for my Terminator Command unit which teleports down in stlye :D ). Doing nothing for all of the first turn kind of sucks... but the fear that creeps into your opponent as they try to second guess where your forces are coming down is priceless.

All pod lists, I have found, suffer from a lack of heavy weapons since Tac-Squads carrying such things cannot fire them on the turn they arrive. This can be compensated for by using Dreadnoughts (lascannon & missiles) as deep striking fire bases... but it eats up your Elite slots as a downside.

Recently, I got my butt handed to me by some close combat oriented Necrons because I had no real assault units to counter with (you can't put Assault Marines in a pod... you could still deep strike a unit of guys with jump packs, but it kind of goes against the all-pod theme). However, you CAN put Veterans in a pod, and use them as assault units, which is what I will soon start doing.

At BS 5 and 20 points, I find the Deathwind a luxury. For the same cost, you could make your Dreadnoughts venerable... and then find a few more points somewhere to make them tank hunters, which would be much better in the long run. On the other hand, it is the only blast template an all-pod list can take, so you might find it handy against low-armour hordes.

Hope that's a bit of a help.

The two Marines... no contest.

I like infantry-heavy armies, and all of my "Pod Squads" are maxed out at ten men. You have to remember that some of these guys might not be showing up until turn 5 or so, and so when they do touch down, you want them to be able to pour out the maximum ammount of fire possible. In my lists thats 2 blasts from a plasma gun followed up by 18 Bolter shots.

Having more Marines also means that when the squad is assaulted, as it almost certain to be before it moves very far, that it will have a bit more staying power. Most often, I find, the drop pod can inadvertantly cut off your line of retreat... so if you get surrounded just after landing and fail your morale test, you've got nowhere to go. Thus, you will take another round of wounds via the No Retreat! rule... and that's when you'll be glad for those extra bodies. :D

Finally, the Machine Spirit in the pod can only hit a traget 33% of the time with a maximum of two shots, whereas two Marines with Bolters can hit a target 50% of time with up to four shots. Seems simple math to me.

My 1000 point "beachhead list" looks something like this:

* Captain in Terminator armor (combi flamer, master crafted power wep)

* 7 Terminators (one assault cannon, one hev flamer)

*Dreadnought (lascannon & missiles) in a pod

* Pod Squad (10 men, one plasma gun)

For three points more, the Drednought could be replaced by 8 Verterans riged for close combat (1 flamer, frags for all, furious charge) and, of course, sent down in a pod. All depends on whether you want tank-busting power, or an assualt unit.

The two Marines... no contest.

I like infantry-heavy armies, and all of my "Pod Squads" are maxed out at ten men. You have to remember that some of these guys might not be showing up until turn 5 or so, and so when they do touch down, you want them to be able to pour out the maximum ammount of fire possible. In my lists thats 2 blasts from a plasma gun followed up by 18 Bolter shots.

Having more Marines also means that when the squad is assaulted, as it almost certain to be before it moves very far, that it will have a bit more staying power. Most often, I find, the drop pod can inadvertantly cut off your line of retreat... so if you get surrounded just after landing and fail your morale test, you've got nowhere to go. Thus, you will take another round of wounds via the No Retreat! rule... and that's when you'll be glad for those extra bodies. ;)

Finally, the Machine Spirit in the pod can only hit a traget 33% of the time with a maximum of two shots, whereas two Marines with Bolters can hit a target 50% of time with up to four shots. Seems simple math to me.

My 1000 point "beachhead list" looks something like this:

* Captain in Terminator armor (combi flamer, master crafted power wep)

* 7 Terminators (one assault cannon, one hev flamer)

*Dreadnought (lascannon & missiles) in a pod

For three points more, the Drednought could be replaced by 8 Verterans riged for close combat (1 flamer, frags for all, furious charge) and, of course, sent down in a pod. All depends on whether you want tank-busting power, or an assualt unit.

Nice list, makes me wish the GW would hurry up with the plastic pod.

I couldn't wait... so I built some facimilies out of foamcore and donut boxes.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b303/Lord_Malzor/PICT0111.jpg

I have a bigger, three door Dreadnought one as well, and will soon be making three more like the ones above. For an instantly immobilised, 30 point place holder, they do just fine. And they cost me about $3 each.

Most often, I find, the drop pod can inadvertently cut off your line of retreat... so if you get surrounded just after landing and fail your morale test, you've got nowhere to go. Thus, you will take another round of wounds via the No Retreat! rule... and that's when you'll be glad for those extra bodies. :)

So you disembark on the enemies side?

I thought you could/would/should disembark such that the pod provides cover (i.e. the other side)

This should provide some LOS cover against shooting AND being assaulted.

You've got no heavies, so moving back around the pod next turn doesn't stop you from shooting with all you have.

Cheers, Paul.

So you disembark on the enemies side?

Depends on what you need to do and who is in the pod.

Most of the time, I want to shoot the bejeezus out of whatever is close by, so everyone piles out on the side closest to the enemy. If I was podding in an assault unit of Veterans, then I would most likely hide them safely behind the pod upon first arriving and then have them come out next turn.

That becomes a question of whether or not you want three S10 power weapon attacks on the charge, or or twenty-three S4 attacks on the charge.

I've never tried it, but now that I think about it, it could have a lot of advantages.

A Dreadnought with an assault cannon and crunchy-claw gets only 3 attacks on the charge... but those 3 attacks are S10 and count as power weapon hits. So, at best he can kill 4 enemies in the shooting phase and then turn 3 more into raspberry jam in the assault phase. Hmmm..... if the enemy squad is ten men strong, then they would have to take a morale test in the shooting phase for loosing more than 25%, and the remainder would be outnumbered at the end of the assault phase. To boot, standard troops would need a strength of 6 just to glance the Drednought's front armour.... unless they are using special explosives which I have honsetly never seen in all my years of playing.

Very tempting...

The consequence, of course, is that you will be trading your heavy weapon units for close combat units directly.

I just wanna mention something I found out from talking to one of the redshirts at my FLGS.

With the new SM codex, drop pod armies get a special rule called 'Drop Pod Assault'. Unlike the old rule, this works like the Deathwing Assault rule.

For example, lets say you have 5 drop pods. 3 of them come on Turn 1, the other two remain in reserve (and roll for like normal). The new drop pods all have the Inertial Guidance system, so if you end up scattering on enemy models you just move it until it's 1" from the enemy unit (moving in the direction of scatter). The drop pod isn't scoring, but it will contest any objective it lands within 3" of. Being AV12, it's no small fry to kill, and it has to die before the enemy can take the objective. Meanwhile, the squad/Dreadnought inside can hop out and hose you down with flamer templates/rapid-fire. Also, the new drop pod can be seen though (the middle), so the unit inside can hope out behind, then fire at you, while gaining a 4+ cover save (assuming you can see through the same gap).

I envision this will re-invent drop pod armies, and make drop pod Dreads with assault cannon+heavy flamer an excellent objective clearer. The drop pod will block LOS, be a target itself (while being tactically worthless otherwise, so it's wasted shooting by the enemy), and meanwhile the Dread hasn't been shot. Also, while it doesn't have heaps of attacks normally, if it's a Furiso pattern you'll be able to clear most Troops of an objective. Without S6+ they can't hurt it, while the Dread will insta-gib T5 and less, as well as ignore FNP and WBB (without a nearby Res Orb). Venerable Dreads are going to be nasty as hell, especially if the 0-1 restriction is lifted in the new SM codex. Land Turn 1, shoot+assault the enemy Troops off, sit on the objective and snipe with assault cannon.

All pod lists, I have found, suffer from a lack of heavy weapons since Tac-Squads carrying such things cannot fire them on the turn they arrive. This can be compensated for by using Dreadnoughts (lascannon & missiles) as deep striking fire bases... but it eats up your Elite slots as a downside.

Devastators with multi-meltas in pods would be quite... Devastating for big tanks.

Oh, God, no... Devastators are the worst thing to put in a pod!

Look at it this way: you build a juicy, 5-man Dev squad (1 sarge, and 4 heavy weapons of any kind), and deploy them from a drop pod. You cannot use them on turn 1. Assuming they show up on turn 2, they still can't do their job yet because they count as having moved. Therefore, if you're lucky, you can fire their 20+ point heavy weapons on turn 3 or later. Well, that's half the game gone by already and you still haven't done much of anything with a 200+point unit.

Like I said, I know this from experience: Marines with heavies shouldn't be deployed by pod. What you need in the all deep striking list are rapid fires a'plenty, and units (like Dreadnoughts and terminators) that are allowed to fire heavy weapons even after moving.

• 5 weeks later...

"Drop Pod Assault" actually adds a nice new wrinkle regarding Devestator Squads. Now you can land a pod loaded with 4 heavy bolters, 4 marines w/ a sgt... or whatever you choose. Then run them into position instead of shooting and by turn 2 you have a pretty nasty squad sitting on an objective or in cover.

I think with the new 5th edition rules and new dex Devs now actually are a viable Pod option.

Im also interested in how my 10 man tac squads w/ 2 specials will be affected in the new dex. The rumours are a bit vague. I hope i can still get 2 specials.

Also assault squads can now take pods and get them for free if the jetpac is removed.

by turn 2

Turn 3, provided they land on turn two. Or turn two if they use that new drop pod assault...

The enemy still has a turn to make strawberry jam out of the sitting ducks that are your devastators.

Devvies shouldn't be podded fullstop.

I hope i can still get 2 specials.

No, you can't.

Also assault squads can now take pods and get them for free if the jetpack is removed.

And why would anyone do that? They can deepstrike as it is and they move 12" over terrain + run or pistol fire to boot, much better value for money IMHO.

Without S6+ they can't hurt it, while the Dread will insta-gib T5 and less

I can see a use for the Iron-clad ^_^.

Edit: The text copied itself...

Archived