Wolf Pelt

Gotte89

So, as most people I do think that Wolf Pelt will get changed/removed in the new codex. If it is not removed but changed, how do you think it will get changed?

I think that it will be changed to a +1 Initiative bonus when we charge/counter-charge. This will probably require a higer cost tho as it will also give a bonus to charging.

A bit? B) Exactly like the BC charge :P. I dont like that tbh, would be boring if it was the same as the BC's.

But it wont be the same.

Its well established now that the Blood Claws will almost guaranteed lose thier extra attack, and be given Furious Charge as per page 75 in the new rulebook.

"Models with this skill are known for thier wild ferocity of thier assaults. In a turn in which they assaulted into combat they add +1 to both thier Initiantive and Strength characteristics while attacking in close combat."

Well...I can't say I agree with you there. I have yet to see a link to or even a quote from some kind of official announcment for this. As fair as I see it, it is just rumors and nothing else.

Remember, it is still a long time left to when they release the Space Marine Codex. And from what I have heard we can be quite sure our wont come out until after that.

It wouldnt suprise me if they barely have started working on the Space Wolf Codex yet.

Wolf pelts will be gone. Bionics and purity seals are gone. Those are all modeling decisions, and GW's new philosophy is those items should just be modeling decisions and not also wargear decisions. Look at it this way. Nearly every metal SW model has a wolf pelt. Some may not have access to it. And you might not buy it for everyone (or want to buy it for everyone). So, if the wargear item is gone and it's just a 'cool modeling choice' it works out fine.

But, wolf pelts and wolf tails, etc. will be gone from the next codex. Probably runic charms too, or they'll only be available for ICs at a higher point cost.

"Space Wolves (courtesy of Warseer's dosadi)

We also have word of the following Codex:Space Wolves updates:

The Codex is into testing

Blood Claws are armed with bolt pistol, ccw, frag, and krak and can take special weapons or powerfist/power weapons. They have Furious Charge instead of berserker charge. Minimum squad size is 10 and they can go as high as 20. WS is now 4 but BS stays at 3.

Grey Hunters are armed like Chaos marines (bolter, bolt pistol, ccw, grenades). No more True Grit, but Counter Charge stays for this unit. They can take an assortment of special weapons or powerfist/power weapons. Squad Leader is a wolf guard with options like a vet sergeant from Codex:Dark Angels.

Jump pack Blood Claws are a separate unit entry now.

Wolf Guard are split into two squad types - terminators and power armour.

Wolf scouts can infiltrate or come on from any table edge.

Long Fangs stay as is. Probably picking up a bolt pistol and ccw in addition to their big guns.

Dreads and ven dreads go down to WS4, but Bjorn is back as a special character. Unknown if they can be HQ units.

~I'm pretty excited about a rework of the Wolves. I always considered their codex to be the strongest and most balanced of the old-style marine variants. If the Black Templars and Dark Angels are anything to go by, I bet the new Space Wolves minis or accessory sprue will be awesome. Bulwark will be dancing a jig around the new year, or shortly thereafter."

Got that from Bell of Lost Souls. (http://belloflostsouls.blogspot.com/search?q=space+wolf)

Now as Bell has it, and its attributed to Warseer, which is also reliable, and I have heard the same thing from multiple Games Workshops employees, I am taking most of that as pretty close to the truth.

To sum it up, major points I see:

1) "The Codex is into testing"

... that means rules written and done, with maybe just tweeks left.

2) "They [blood Claws] have Furious Charge instead of berserker charge. Minimum squad size is 10 and they can go as high as 20. WS is now 4 but BS stays at 3."

... see above.

3) "Grey Hunters are armed like Chaos marines (bolter, bolt pistol, ccw, grenades). No more True Grit, but Counter Charge stays for this unit. They can take an assortment of special weapons or powerfist/power weapons. Squad Leader is a wolf guard with options like a vet sergeant from Codex:Dark Angels."

... overall, I think this is a plus for us. True Grit isnt needed if we get B, BP, and CCW, Counter Charge is great, and max squad size is still 10, not 11. I personally loved the extra power weapon but hated the inability to use a Rhino.

4) "Long Fangs stay as is. Probably picking up a bolt pistol and ccw in addition to their big guns."

... Very nice. Always wondered why our oldest troops were absolutely crap in melee compare to the others.

5) "but Bjorn is back as a special character"

... WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTT!

cool stuff to hear... My hordes of blood claws will be able to come out of the bucket now :lol:

I'm a little worried about the WGL options for the Grey hunters though, hopefully it's not to limited and we can still give him TDA

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe the wolf pelt will stay but rather than giving an additional +1A when counter attacking if you pass the leadership test it will be so that the character with the wolf pelt does not need to take the leadership test to gain the +1A so if the counter attack they always get +1A but only +1A.

Icewolf

Maybe the wolf pelt will stay but rather than giving an additional +1A when counter attacking if you pass the leadership test it will be so that the character with the wolf pelt does not need to take the leadership test to gain the +1A so if the counter attack they always get +1A but only +1A.

Icewolf

Actually that isn't such a bad Idea, but they'd have to reduce the cost of it I think, failing Ld 10 isn't a common thing and I'd probably spend the points if it was like 1 point, maybe 2.

I have not seen anything on the wolves yet, but here are my thoughts:

They seem to be getting away from giving marines their own special abilities, but they are letting characters give chapter traits to the character's army. For example, Corbulo gives BA's Furious Charge, Belial lets you take Termies as troops, Shrike gives Raven Guard Fleet...

So I doubt BC's will have Furious Charge, and I doubt GH's will have Counter Attack.

But I wouldn't doubt that if you buy a character, they will be given an ability. Ragnar leads your army, your BC's get FC. Logan leads your army, your GH's have CA and so on.

With there being a plethora of Str 6 power weapons available to regular SM armies, I see frostblades becoming more common, maybe even allowed to be given to Wolf Guards.

I would say that most of the unique wargear will be gone.

With there being a plethora of Str 6 power weapons available to regular SM armies, I see frostblades becoming more common, maybe even allowed to be given to Wolf Guards.

KeithGatchalian what Str 6 power weapons would they be?

Icewolf

KeithGatchalian what Str 6 power weapons would they be?

Icewolf

relic blades. A number of models in the new CSM can take them, including units of Honor GUard.

First I've heard of them sound cool though but that is something else normal marines have taken from use power weapons that increase strength maybe the forst blade will give +2 strength would put use on par with relic blades without having to give use relic blades as they are really the frost blades for us

Icewolf

Archived