Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Orkies

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

Ranek Icewalker

Ranek Icewalker

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 89 posts
I will play a 2k game against an ork player who tends to play a trap tactic with he DAngels and I was wondering what units and what things I should bring!

Any Ideas?
I know what your thinking, but no I can't walk on ice.

@BLISSI15K5

@BLISSI15K5

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 23 posts
bring long fangs they are :pinch: against anything use a WGBL to kick green butt [sluga looter squad]
get a pred with with exatra armour orks cant stand armour 14.
GH are a life safer there CC is good and there long range is better.
belive it or not i beet sluga boys in CC with GREYHUNTERS

i HOPE THIS HELPS :D

saphius

saphius

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 352 posts
Land Raider Crusader is the bane of orcs.
Long Fangs with HB's can kill their troops and vehicles.
Lots of flamers.
Whirlwinds are a good addition.
Power Weapons aren't very useful, unless fighting a squad with a pain boy
Leman Russ is also a very mean thing. AV 14 sucks for orcs. Sit back and shoot and lots of dead orcs.

flintlocklaser

flintlocklaser

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,131 posts

get a pred with with exatra armour orks cant stand armour 14.

That's not how extra armor works, however. A predator w/ extra armor is still AV13 front, that can count Crew Stunned results as Crew Shaken.

Wolf89

Wolf89

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,739 posts
For your Long fangs I'd suggest 2 ML's and 2 HB's and go to town split firing, as said before the LRC is amazing vs. orks and fielding some terminators with a WGBL using assault cannons or heavy flamers wouldn't be a bad idea (I tried a similar tactic comming out of the LRC wielding 4 heavy flamers and just decimated the orks).

Land speeders are also nice but you should stay away from the heavy flamer variant because getting close to orks with your lightly armored speeder isn't the best idea, stick with HB and assault cannon variant. ;)

Blood Claws can be extremely useful against orks if used in a proper tactic, especially negating their WAAAGGGHHH, a rune priest might also be useful.
-Before you post a question you have about space wolves check here first then check here second-

OGNaaman

OGNaaman

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 17 posts
Realizing that most people's armies are already "built" and configured a certain way... if you happen to have so many different models that you couldn't possibly use them all in a game and can pick and choose what you take, my advice is the following:

As many flamers as you can get your hands on is a plus! Use terrain (or your vehicles) to your advantage. Force the orks into narrow passage ways and go to town on them with the flamers. This also works with frag missiles. Give all of your Blood Claw and Grey Hunter units flamers!

I would recommend missile launchers over heavy bolters for your long fangs simply because (with 5th) they have a higher casualty potential, especially if the orks are all clustered up. I also like to give my Long Fangs a razorback, as this is effectively an additional heavy weapon for the squad. This also works well with Grey Hunters, though it requires you to take only 6. The other 4 are essentially replaced with a transport + the "missing" heavy weapon. In a shooting match (especially against orks), a twin-linked heavy bolter plus pintle-mounted storm bolter can go a LOT farther than four bolt guns if you use it right.

Vehicle options should include as many multiple shot weapons as you can get (Predator destructors instead of annihilators, for example). The Leman Russ Exterminator should mop the floor with any ork force.

The main thing I'd say to beware of is mega-armored nobz. If you set aside a few lascannons to deal with them, this would be good. If the ork player is partikalurly kinnin' and woun't expose them to your lascannons, it can be good to have attack bikes (note the plural) with multi-meltas. Just engage from 20+ inches away. Instant death.

If you must fight hand to hand (and with Sace Wolves, this is more of a conscious decision to do so than an inevitable eventuallity), use power weapons/lightning claws instead of powerfists where you can. This gives you the chance to kill a buch of them off before they can bring all of those attacks to bear.

Use close combat to YOUR advantage. For example, dismount vehicles early, and have the squads follow along behind the transport as it moves. When they are within range to move, shoot, and charge, simply move the vehicle out of the way, then move the squad and have at it.

Most of the orks weapons are assault weapons, which means they will be constantly on the move. Use your vehicles to force the orks to maneuver around them in order to get to your defensive units. And of course, the vehicles should blast away with heavy bolters as much as possible as the orks approach.

I like to use attack bikes to protect my vehicles (and against orks the twin-linked bolters spell D-O-O-M, plus, if you're using the mulit-meltas mentioned above that's essentially 2-3 more casualties per turn; if you can field these in addition to a heavy bolter attack bike squadron, then....), and long fangs to protect my attack bikes from far away. Once the transports deliver their ferocious cargo, the bikes can turbo boost to wherever else they're needed on the battle field.

On a personal note, I NEVER use plasma weapons unless they are master crafted. The prospect of my squad's most deadly weapon killing my own guy is bad enough, but it alwasy seems that he misses (with a roll of 1) on his first shot, so it's a total waste of points and essentially free victory points for my opponent (plasma isn't worth it with orks anyway, since they only have a 6+ save, within 12", a melta gun is just as good with no risk)

If you have a dreadnought, assault cannon and heavy flamer is an obvious combo, but a deadlier option might be a plasma cannon (the ONE exception to my master crafted plasma rule since dreadnoughts don't have to worry about over heating) and a missile launcher. That is, if you happen to have a forge world dreadnought plasma cannon.

My best advice: Regardless of whether your force is optimized to fight orks, pick an enemy unit and dont' stop shooting at it till it's completely destroyed or routed or off the table etc. Anything that can target that unit should do so. Once it ceases to be a threat, move on to the next.

Those are some of my anti-ork tactics.

Highlights:
Grey Hunters + razorback = MOBILE heavy weapon for Grey Hunters (heavy bolter is obvious choice here)
Lightning claws + Land Raider (or Crusader) = many, many, many dead orks (charge after dismounting), unleash hurricane bolter hell!
Area of effect weapons + more area of effect weapons = ork slaughterhouse.

FenrisUlf

FenrisUlf

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 12 posts

Realizing that most people's armies are already "built" and configured a certain way... if you happen to have so many different models that you couldn't possibly use them all in a game and can pick and choose what you take, my advice is the following:

*minimized for brevity*

Highlights:
Grey Hunters + razorback = MOBILE heavy weapon for Grey Hunters (heavy bolter is obvious choice here)
Lightning claws + Land Raider (or Crusader) = many, many, many dead orks (charge after dismounting), unleash hurricane bolter hell!
Area of effect weapons + more area of effect weapons = ork slaughterhouse.

Good info. I've found channeling Orks into defiles, letting 'm mob usually works (assuming dice aren't being finicky).

Love the Plasma statement...did you read this month's White Dwarf? That very issue happened to a Vet Sgt...never attacked, never was attacked, died on his own gun. Plasmas are nice, but they're so risky...heck, never used 'm in Dawn of War either.

OGNaaman

OGNaaman

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 17 posts
Yeah, I can't stand plasma. In 3rd, the choice between melta and plasma was a no brainer... moving, they were both 1 shot at 12" and the melta had better S and AP (not like it mattered). And they cost the same points.

When they changed how rapid fire worked in 4th, that ALMOST made plasma a better choice, but then they also said that EACH shot fired increased the chance of an overheat, so firing 2 shots with plasma would mean it overheats on a 1 or 2. Essentially, a miss for a space marine meant save or die. So still a no-go if you ask me.

Captain Talon

Captain Talon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 204 posts
I'd bring a couple of ales, some beef jerky, a comfy chair, suntan lotion, and some massage oil.

But thats me.

Oh and an umbrella or two for the ales ( thanks for the tip Jonny)

Edited by Captain Talon, 30 July 2008 - 04:31 PM.

Jonny Wolf

Jonny Wolf

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,238 posts
And bring a miniature umbrella for your Ale.
For the Wolftime, praise Russ!

In Russ we trust, all others kiss my axe.

Brother SRM

Brother SRM

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,463 posts
Bloodclaws. The Orks are going to charge you, and the wording of the new counter attack rules basically say "as charging," so that's +2 attacks whether they charge or not. Orks are pretty charge-happy, so this works really well - hell, it does against any assault centric army.
Space Wolves: Wins 9 | Losses 11 | Draws 5
Crimson Fists: Wins 14 l Losses 10 l Draws 5
Dark Angels: Wins 37 | Losses 16 | Draws 11
Orks: Wins 9 l Losses 2 l Draws 2

Catachans: Under construction!

SPEHSS MAHREENS, WE FIGHT FER DA EMPRA! - My flash cartoon, Warhammer40k: Dawn of Awesome
My 40k flash cartoon - SRM 40k
My other cartoons

muzzyman1981

muzzyman1981

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 851 posts
Well from what I understand of the rules that only works if you pass the Leadership check.
For Russ and the All Father!!!

Ranek Icewalker

Ranek Icewalker

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 89 posts
Hate to burst your bubble, but I already played the guy 3 times
I beat him 1 with his orks, tied his orks once and I also smacked the daylights out of his Darkangels

Both the game I won, I won because I Drop podded on the objective and killed his nearby men.

Jonny Wolf

Jonny Wolf

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,238 posts
Who's bubble are you bursting? Ours or yours? Your the one that asked for advice.... :lol:

Iams

Iams

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 86 posts
A fenrisian wolf pelt (a grey t shirt will do or whatever colour your wolfs pelts happen to be painted) and a Ven dread and blood claws pack.

Jarl Kjaran Coldheart

Jarl Kjaran Coldheart

++ PRÆCEPTOR BARBATUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,984 posts

Who's bubble are you bursting? Ours or yours? Your the one that asked for advice.... :confused:

well, advice given in good will is never wasted advice.

especially when the advice helps me kill orks. "waagh" my arse. the orks might be built to fight, but Space Wolves are built to win.

wolf lord kieran

Space Wolves are badasses that operate just barely within the rules. 13th Co. didn't even know there were rules applying to how badass they could be. DepthCharge on the Space Wolves

I'm so pleased that GW have gone to such great lengths to produce these awesome Space Wolves basing kits. Wraithwing on the Thousand Sons Rubic Marine release

"The Fell Hand is a name that has been passed on through out the Legion. When one warrior bearing it died, the name is left to be earned by another. Thus it was passed from Floki to Volund to Erik to Geigor. And then the tradition died, because censored.gif Bjorn got the name and proceeded to live for 10 censored.gifmillenia." - Sagas of the Wolf Priests. Wispy

saphius

saphius

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 352 posts
Best Way to be rid of Orks, really?

Weed B Gone.

Ranek Icewalker

Ranek Icewalker

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 89 posts
the game I tied was the game for kill points, so how do you win a kill points game against orks and mobs and annoying guys like that.

Jonny Wolf

Jonny Wolf

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,238 posts
whatever.