Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Fenris Grey vs Shadow Grey

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

VonMerrick

VonMerrick

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 362 posts
Can anyone provide a photo of a space wolf painted with Fenris grey as opposed to Shadow Grey?

Since the foundation paints came out I’m heard people are using Fenris grey as a basecoat and then space wolf grey for highlights.

muzzyman1981

muzzyman1981

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 851 posts
That is what I have been told to try and use (Fenris Grey) and even though I don't really like the REALLY light blue-grey color of Space Wolf Grey I don't want it to be too dark either as I normally associate that with the 13th Company.

I'd really like to see the models painted as such too.
For Russ and the All Father!!!

deedark

deedark

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 408 posts
Some of mine

http://www.bolterand...howtopic=141024

Links to some pics

HQ on bike Posted Image

OBEL Scouts Posted Image

Rune Priest Posted Image

GH's

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by deedark, 29 July 2008 - 08:44 AM.

Death smiles on those who do not know or understand the ways of the wolf

VonMerrick

VonMerrick

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 362 posts
Thanks for posting links, but the images have been deleted or moved so I couldn't see anything but the first one which was posted here.

FenrisUlf

FenrisUlf

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 12 posts
Agreed....the Space Wolf Grey looks lame. I avoid using it other than as a final coat. Someday I'll post pictures :down:

Have to look into this Fenris Grey....I like the darker coloration. Shadow Grey gave SWs a nice dark, purplish color. Fenris pushes the SW Grey towards grey. Much nicer.

Nice image, btw.

VonMerrick

VonMerrick

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 362 posts
I’m definitely going to try the Fenris Grey. I think it adds a nice darker feel to the armor, just like the limited polystone WETA statues that came out a few years ago.

I was really stuck, because the SW grey looked like my father’s powder blue tux on his wedding day in 1978 and the shadow grey has a tendency to look like inked and shaded Ultras or Crimson Fists if one isn’t careful. The codex grey is nice, but (in my mind) it is forever linked to pre-hersey Space Wolves or the 13th company.

I saw on warseer, some space wolves which used fenris grey as a basecoat, then shadow grey as a midtone, and then a mix of shadow and SW grey as small highlights. They looked exactly like what I was going for. Also the yellow shoulder pads using the foundation yellow, with golden yellow layered on and some thin brown paint in the recesses also was very clean and sharp. Hopefully using the foundation yellow will enable me to not rip my hair out if I make a mistake creating my own pack markings on my blood claws or wolf guard. Grey hunters shoulder pads are easier for me as red and black are so much more forgiving :D

Edited by VonMerrick, 25 July 2008 - 02:52 PM.

DragonPup

DragonPup

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 75 posts
I am still testing colors, but I am using a Shadow Grey base coat, painted with a mix of 3 Shadow Grey:2 Space Wolf Grey, then I give it a light wash with Asurman Blue. Comes out pretty nice.

Corrin Storm Fox

Corrin Storm Fox

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 134 posts
I like the dark, scary look of the vikings in Pathfinder. That is the idea that i am using for my Wolves. vikings were scary as hell and I want that feel. I use shadow grey mostly
Night Lords: 2000

Raven Guard: ~1000

fisheyedbunny

fisheyedbunny

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 178 posts
ive just got my hands on the 5th ED rule book and it looks like the Grey Hunters and Blood Claws are different shades of grey in it. Are GW trying to use the Frenris Grey and Shadow Grey to show even more differentiation in the units?? Page 134 of the new book. The Blood Claw and Grey Hunter are from the same company but the Blood Claw is definately darker
Sig Updated

Skippy the Magnificent at your service

Instagram - fisheyedbunny

Beef

Beef

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,241 posts
yeah i saw that, at first i thought it was shoing a modern sw and a pre heresy sw. But what i thibk gw are showing is that even in a great company sw colours can vary
AMY WINEHOUSE R.I.P
[img=http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/vittorio_13/3ForBeef.gif]

AdrianG

AdrianG

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 62 posts
I use game colour Sombre Grey, then a light drybrush of Spacewolf grey.
Unfortunately, I can't provide any pics at the moment :)
Collector of Space Wolves..... And all round terrible painter!

Stop "1337-speak"!

deedark

deedark

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 408 posts
Pictures now sorted

D.

muzzyman1981

muzzyman1981

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 851 posts
Those look awesome, although they look more of a darker blue than a grey. I think I may not go with Fenris grey, I want more of a grey than a blue hue, something of a lighter grey.

deedark

deedark

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 408 posts
They are not as blue in real life but fenris grey is more of a blue - I like the foundation colour and it goes on great means I can get through a pack quickly when I get my act together and actual get some painting done - plus I've just done a razorback and it came out great.

My method
Spray black undercoat
Fenrir Grey armour and pack
Paint purity seals bone and mechrite red, highly with white - mix whats left with red to highlight and add script in black
Do eyes, targeter and shoulder pad insignia with mechrite red
Boltgun metal for weapons, chests, nades and packs
Highlight with fenris mixed anout 40-50% lighter and done
Touch up

I try to keep it simple one base colour one highlight and I think they turn out fine for gaming

The scouts took around 4 hours total - I try and do 5 figures at once - faces tallarn then elf flesh highlight

D.

Brother SRM

Brother SRM

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,463 posts
I undercoat my models black, then paint shadow grey over that. Highlight with Space Wolves grey next, and it looks good, if a little bluish.
Then again, aren't all greys used for Wolves at least a little blue?
Space Wolves: Wins 9 | Losses 11 | Draws 5
Crimson Fists: Wins 14 l Losses 10 l Draws 5
Dark Angels: Wins 37 | Losses 16 | Draws 11
Orks: Wins 9 l Losses 2 l Draws 2

Catachans: Under construction!

SPEHSS MAHREENS, WE FIGHT FER DA EMPRA! - My flash cartoon, Warhammer40k: Dawn of Awesome
My 40k flash cartoon - SRM 40k
My other cartoons

VonMerrick

VonMerrick

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 362 posts
Thanks again for the pics. As the last time I painted wolves, Fenris grey didn’t exist yet.

Normally, I use Shadow Grey over a black undercoat with a 50/50 mix of Shadow grey and Space Wolf Grey as highlights.

Its always worked well in the past for me, but I was looking for a basecoat which was more grey and less blue, but still definitely having a bluish tint. If its too grey then the models look too similar to my 13th company, and if they’re too blue they look a lot like my old Ultras which I painted a darker shade of blue.

Edited by VonMerrick, 29 July 2008 - 11:43 PM.

muzzyman1981

muzzyman1981

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 851 posts
Yeah, I am looking for a color that is more grey with a light tint of blue...

Brother SRM

Brother SRM

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,463 posts

Shadow gray has a tint of blue in it, as does Space Wolf gray.
Space Wolves: Wins 9 | Losses 11 | Draws 5
Crimson Fists: Wins 14 l Losses 10 l Draws 5
Dark Angels: Wins 37 | Losses 16 | Draws 11
Orks: Wins 9 l Losses 2 l Draws 2

Catachans: Under construction!

SPEHSS MAHREENS, WE FIGHT FER DA EMPRA! - My flash cartoon, Warhammer40k: Dawn of Awesome
My 40k flash cartoon - SRM 40k
My other cartoons

wiplash

wiplash

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,284 posts
my armour is 50:50 regal blue and shadow grey i like it
fenris grey doesnt look grey enough for me

5th ed SW : 19/4/1 (W/D/L)
6th ed SW : 0/0/1 (W/D/L)

muzzyman1981

muzzyman1981

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 851 posts

Shadow gray has a tint of blue in it, as does Space Wolf gray.

I want them to be more grey....Space Wolf Grey has too much blue tint in it, if someone didn't know any better they would say its almost a sky blue (trust me I've had someone ask what color of blue it was) and Shadow Grey is a good color but too dark, I want that color but lighter.

What I may end up trying is Fortress Grey and mix it with like SW Grey or a light blue, a very small amount just to give it a slight bluish tint.