Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Ordered pack of Grey Hunters

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

muzzyman1981

muzzyman1981

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 851 posts
I wanted to get the Space Wolf Battleforce, as some of you may know, but could not afford it with this check so I went ahead and ordered a box of Grey Hunters to tide me over till I can.

I want to make it a 8 man pack with one of the other 2 models being a WG Leader with Power fist or weapon (can't decide which, which is why I am posting on here) and the other I haven't decided what to do with yet. One of the 8 will be the Pack Leader (not Wolf Guard) and the others will obviously be the rest of the pack....looking for ideas on equipment for this pack that would make them good at fire support for a pack of Blood Claws charging in but viable in CC themselves (which means I will probibly put as many as I can with Bolters as I can with the True Grit rule).

Any ideas my Wolf Brothers?
For Russ and the All Father!!!

Wolf89

Wolf89

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,739 posts
Many posts on how to equip your GH's, but the most common is such.

Bolter/CCW, 2x plasma pistol / CCW, 1x plasma gun/ meltagun, 1x power weapon/bolter, 1x power fist/bolter

This gets expensive, and you may be taking out the power fist for an additional power weapon, or switch some things around, but this way you get lots of plasma shots, best HtH tactical squad out there, and slap in a WGL using either a fist himself, or a frost axe.
-Before you post a question you have about space wolves check here first then check here second-

muzzyman1981

muzzyman1981

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 851 posts
I still don't have the rulebook but I heard something about losing an attack with the Powerfist for regular troops? It would still be ok to have a PF in the regulars?

As for the WGL it would have to be a Powerfist (most likely) or a Power weapon since reg WGLs can't have Frost weapons =(

As for the plasma weapons, what makes them so great if I might ask? And what are their best targets?

Quillen

Quillen

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,460 posts
Not really. You will only get 2 Power Fist swings on the charge or recieving a charge. So it's best to give it to a Wolf Gaurd pack leader.

The Pack leader would have 3 power fist attacks on charge and recieving, and you can chunk a wolf pelt on him so it's 4 attacks on defence. Then, if you do not mind point sink holes, a wolf tooth necklace, so he hits on 3s with it against anything he bumps into. So a wraithlord hitting your line will face 4 power fist attacks for charging you. (Evil laugh) Some people suggest a thunder hammer on him so said wraith lord goes on int 1 next turn, or squads with invulns go on int 1, and tanks are shaken as well as what ever the hammer does to it.

You will get more attacks with power weapons, so if you are lucky you will kill more of them. Fist have a better chance to kill something thou. Only need a 2+ to wound not a 4+

I am still in the air on it. I have Power Fists in all my squads. So I am sorta set for the time. Bought a bunch of power weapons from Battle Wagon Bitz, just can't decide if I want to change them over or leave the fists.

Still 2 attacks each and killing on a 2 up is a big edge. Add in the Wolf Gaurd too and you can still cripple most other squads they see. Still expensive thou. Basicly 4 attacks hitting on 4 and killing on 2+ and then 4 attacks hitting on 3 and killing on 2+. So about 3-5 dead from the hammers. Against a marine squad that means with a good shooting turn and him being dumb enough to stand there or charge you, you pick up his whole squad. Evena termy squad would pay dearly for messing with these packs. losing 3-6 on average from plasma pistols and power fists. It's a good build still.

Basicly think of Wolves as a counter assualt force. We move up and unload on them with rapid fire. We lose the charge but we have the same attacks as them when charged. So it evens out. We should kill like 3-4 maybe 5 guys shooting at them, and then we have the same attacks in the melee with Power Fist/Weapons to make sure more of them die.

That is how I played my wolves for ever thou. Move in, Light them up,and finish them in melee.
"It is the soldier, not the reporter,
Who has given us freedom of the press. "It is the soldier, not the poet, Who has given us freedom of speech.

"It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, Who has given us the freedom to demonstrate.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, Who serves beneath the flag,
And whose coffin is draped by the flag, Who allows the protester to burn the flag."
--Charles M. Province

Marek Grimfang

Marek Grimfang

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,239 posts
Use exactly whats on the sprues.

1x WGL Bolter and PF
2x GH's Bolters and PW's
1x GH Melta Gun
6x GH's Bolters

I don't like mixing Bolters and Bolt Pistols simply for the Rapid Fire reason. Even for the PW GH's.
Greater Toronto Area, Canada.
B+C member since 2000.
Lord's Realm - R.I.P.
-Blood and Honour-

http://www.passionep...trider-logo.jpg

muzzyman1981

muzzyman1981

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 851 posts
What about Plasma Pistols? From what I understand Plasma weapons are great against infantry, especially unarmored troops.

Dark Bjoern

Dark Bjoern

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,586 posts
From my personal experiences i would not use plasmas, cause i toast myself frequently with my own plasmas. Only with my scouts i donĀ“t have that problem.

2016-06-19_08.56.28_zps3jxgevkj.jpg2016-06-19_08.55.04_zpsl7ia3v3f.jpg

muzzyman1981

muzzyman1981

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 851 posts
I have 2 plasma pistols in my list, just replace them with bolters maybe?

clanfield

clanfield

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,141 posts
when my old wolves (1st edd) were destryed in a house fire 3 years back this is exactly how i restarted 1 box of gh

8 grey hunters 1 melta 1 sacred std 7 bolt guns/cc

1 wolf guard pack leader power wepon ,plas pistol

1 battle leader frost blade (used the axe) plas pistol

then i bought 2 boxs of blood claws 1 as blood claws(all pistol ,cc). 1 i made 6 grey hunters 2 power fists ,bolt pistols ,cc 1 melta
and 4 wolf guard body guards (all power wepons ,plas pistols)

Edited by clanfield, 27 July 2008 - 02:41 PM.

muzzyman1981

muzzyman1981

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 851 posts
My main concern would be them exploding on my guy(s). I don't think I will have alot of plasma weapons in my packs, I don't want to give my enemy too many freebies.

Also for my Grey Hunter pack, should I go with 8 Grey Hunters with frags or 9 Grey Hunters without frags? (See my list in the Army List forums for my current proposed list)

Edited by muzzyman1981, 27 July 2008 - 04:43 PM.

Bullet_magnet

Bullet_magnet

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 76 posts
I usually don't include plasma pistols as they have a 12 inch range and tend to explode in my squads face that and I don't like paying the points. unless I am screwing around and take the plasma suicide squad, plasma gun 2 plasma pistols and ususally two power weapons or fists then I send them at the nearest unit and just generally be stupid with them it is great fun if a bit of a point sink. but generally build it like what is on the sprue and don't mix equipment either bolters or pistols, in fact can you mix equipment?

Valerian

Valerian

++ EQUITES ALATUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 8,924 posts

Use exactly whats on the sprues.

1x WGL Bolter and PF
2x GH's Bolters and PW's
1x GH Melta Gun
6x GH's Bolters

This is what I go with. On one or two Grey Hunter packs I may decide to swap the Melta Gun for a Plasma Gun, but you simply can't go wrong with using exactly what you get in the box. You can add the two Plasma Pistols that are available as an option, but that starts to drive up the cost of the pack (more-so than it already would be) - that I don't think is ultimately worth it. Also, you can go wild with armoury options for your WGL, but I think benefit is limited considering the high cost of doing so. I prefer the "more boys, less toys" strategy to army list selection, so I'd recommend keeping with the simple yet effective pack that Marek has suggested above.

Regards,

Valerian

muzzyman1981

muzzyman1981

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 851 posts
Awesome thanks =) I can't wait to get my pack now so I can get started on on that...I will try to find a Plasma gun and make an extra model if I can.