Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

WGBL and Long Fangs

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

Lord Howland Greywolf

Lord Howland Greywolf

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 567 posts
I was wondering, if you have a WGBL, or any other attached charicter, in a long fang pack do they benifit from the split-fire rule?
Because, lets face it, it would be fun to have a BS5 Lascannon in an anti infantry squad ;)

Edited by LordHowlandGreywolf, 29 July 2008 - 04:56 PM.

If you talk about your gaming life, no matter how carfully you phrase it, you are etheir going to imerge as a liar, a braggart or a fool.

OnlyInDeath

OnlyInDeath

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,088 posts
I would assume so. It's the long fang pack leader that allows the split fire rule. So as long as he's still alive, you should be able to have an IC split fire with them, as long as he fires at one of the two targets available.
Click Here if you are in need of some reading material
QUOTE (Vassakov @ Feb 23 2009, 05:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
At the end of the day, we know who our true brothers are. We watch the halls of Russ, and remember our days of glory whilst persuing ever greater ones.
We are the Sons of Russ, for the All-Father and the Wolf King. From now, until the End Days and the Wolftime. We play by our rules, and noone elses.

Wolf89

Wolf89

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,739 posts
It's not really "splitting fire" it's basically the WGBL fires with the "main unit" if you will and the other long fangs fire at a separate target, note that the WGBL wouldn't be able to fire at a completely different target than the rest of the Long fangs since this rule doesn't confer to him.

So in other words you can't have a WGBL with a las cannon fire at a tank, then have 4 long fangs with heavy bolters fire at a squad of marines, to fix this you could have one long fang use a missile launcher and have it fire at the tank with the WGBL.

At least this is how I interpreted the wording of the long fang unit. (correct me if I'm wrong, but I haven't looked much into the wording as I could have but I think it's clear)
-Before you post a question you have about space wolves check here first then check here second-

Icewolf

Icewolf

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 230 posts
Yes I agree it would be fun but is it worth the points to spend on the WGBL who is so much better in close combat (A WGBL can have a BS5 assault cannon if in TDA)

Icewolf
Sticks and stones may break your bones, but power fists work even better!

I'm all for talking nice and being peaceful, but if that fails, I'm all for running their sorry arses down with 90 tons of Land Raider Crusader.

The breakfast of champions is not cearal but the opposition.

There's no such thing as being surrounded, but there are times when you can attack in any direction.

FrozenBear

FrozenBear

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 26 posts

Yes I agree it would be fun but is it worth the points to spend on the WGBL who is so much better in close combat (A WGBL can have a BS5 assault cannon if in TDA)

Icewolf

Agreed, a WGBL is much better with a squad of Blood Claws. Imagine him with 15 Blood Claws charging...they could take anything in the game on and probably win (depending how you kitted him out).

That being said, in Apocolypse games you're going to need a lot of HQs (if you even go by a FOC) so you could, in theory, attach a Battle Leader to EVERY SQUAD!!!
"For over a thousand years Roman conquerors returning from the wars enjoyed the honor of triumph, a tumultuous parade. In the procession came trumpeteers, musicians and strange animals from conquered territories, together with carts laden with treasure and captured armaments. The conquerors rode in a triumphal chariot, the dazed prisoners walking in chains before him. Sometimes his children robed in white stood with him in the chariot or rode the trace horses. A slave stood behind the conqueror holding a golden crown and whispering in his ear a warning: that all glory is fleeting."

Icewolf

Icewolf

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 230 posts
Howerver a WGBL with anassault cannon attached to 7-9 Wolf Guard Means 4 assault cannons 1 BS5 and if transported in a LRC that means another assault cannon - twin-linked for a total of 5 assault cannons ow!!

Icewolf
Sticks and stones may break your bones, but power fists work even better!

I'm all for talking nice and being peaceful, but if that fails, I'm all for running their sorry arses down with 90 tons of Land Raider Crusader.

The breakfast of champions is not cearal but the opposition.

There's no such thing as being surrounded, but there are times when you can attack in any direction.

kanaellars

kanaellars

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 279 posts

It's not really "splitting fire" it's basically the WGBL fires with the "main unit" if you will and the other long fangs fire at a separate target, note that the WGBL wouldn't be able to fire at a completely different target than the rest of the Long fangs since this rule doesn't confer to him.

So in other words you can't have a WGBL with a las cannon fire at a tank, then have 4 long fangs with heavy bolters fire at a squad of marines, to fix this you could have one long fang use a missile launcher and have it fire at the tank with the WGBL.

At least this is how I interpreted the wording of the long fang unit. (correct me if I'm wrong, but I haven't looked much into the wording as I could have but I think it's clear)

I agree completely. This is exactly how I would interpret the rule.

Also, I would like to say thank you, as I have never considered this idea before.

I am thinking of putting together a Squad of Long Fangs all with Plasma cannons for the new edition, and making it 5 plasmas instead of 4 sounds nice, especially as one of them will be a much badder WG.
For Russ! For the Wolftime! My wolves stand ready.

Wolf89

Wolf89

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,739 posts
While 5 plasma cannons sounds very appealing, I hate wasting BS 5 on something that is almost sure to hit the unit anyways (1 inch could make a difference, but not likely). I think it'd be better to have him use a las cannon in this group.
-Before you post a question you have about space wolves check here first then check here second-