Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

WGL in 5th Edition

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

foolishzero

foolishzero

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 35 posts
Yea, I'm talking about the poor soul that has to watch over the puppies (Blood Claws). How is everyone equipping them now that 5th Edition is out? Currently I've been giving him a Powerfist and a Combi-Bolter (usually flamer). But with the new Space Marine codex coming out and use getting an update to the standard wargear, I'm thinking of ether Powerfist and Stormshield combo or the standard Powerweapon Stormshield. With the new rule making it so we don't have an extra attack unless we take two powerfists I find that my WGL will probably have a lot better chance of annoying an enemy with the 3+ Inv Save.

Wolf Guard Leader
Powerfist
Stormshield
Wolf Pelt

Sounds nice to me :blush:
It is the way of Fenris. We stay as long as we can. Fight as hard as we can. Kill as much as we can. Only when we can do no more do we move on.

Hfran Morkai

Hfran Morkai

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,503 posts
My blood claw leaders have plasma pistols, powerfists and WTN.
Grey hunter leaders have plasma pistol and power weapon.

mmm.... Terminator/Carnifex killiness!!
QUOTE (A D-B @ Jan 10 2011, 12:45 PM)
THE CUSTODIANS AREN'T PSYCHIC OH MY GOD I HATE YOU MIKAL.

gallery_24878_5332_45982.jpg

Byrne

Byrne

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 342 posts
I use two, one with: kombi flamer (rocks) powerfist, runic charm, wolf pelt. (goes int a gh with flamer)
one with: Lightningclaws, wtn, runic charm, meltabomb, wolfpelt. ...got me a win in my last tourny. :blink:

Edited by Byrne, 30 July 2008 - 01:41 PM.

Trough the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes.

Marek Grimfang

Marek Grimfang

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,239 posts

I use two, one with: kombi flamer (rocks) powerfist, runic charm, wolf pelt. (goes int a gh with flamer)
one with: Lightningclaws, wtn, runic charm, meltabomb, wolfpelt. ...got me a win in my last tourny. :)

That second one is pretty expensive for a "Vet Sgt" make up. Hope he has claimed his points bcak.
Greater Toronto Area, Canada.
B+C member since 2000.
Lord's Realm - R.I.P.
-Blood and Honour-

http://www.passionep...trider-logo.jpg

Nightrunner

Nightrunner

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 820 posts

I use two, one with: Combi flamer (rocks) powerfist, runic charm, wolf pelt. (goes int a gh with flamer)
one with: Lightningclaws, wtn, runic charm, meltabomb, wolfpelt. ...got me a win in my last tourny. :)

I have to say, at the moment, I don't use any WGPL in my squads anymore.

Fair play if you find that they really work for you, but to use Byrne's to examples here, that's 58pts and 73pts respectively.

A WGBL, even just with a Frost blade and bolt pistol, will have more attacks, more wounds, a higher initiative and cost 8pts more than the latter example.

For me, it's just too many points, espectially in a squad of BC where the cost is usually too high already.

NR :)
QUOTE (Wolfside)
My friend's dog ate his iron priest. No armour save there.

Captain Talon

Captain Talon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 204 posts
Rememeber you have to use the rules in our book for wargear unless they say refer to another book, or there is an FAQ.

So no 3+ invulnerable storm shields etc for now.

It also means terminator assault cannons are Heavy 3.

Wolf89

Wolf89

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,739 posts

Rememeber you have to use the rules in our book for wargear unless they say refer to another book, or there is an FAQ.

I'm sorry C. Talon but you're wrong, we use the wargear and weaponry as used by the C:SM, unless otherwise stated a different wargear option in C:SW (aka Wolf Pelt, Wolf Tooth Necklace, etc.). Nice try though, we're fortunate enough to have Heavy 4 rending AC's just like normal marines and when SS's get updated we'll benefit from the same upgrade. :nuke:
-Before you post a question you have about space wolves check here first then check here second-

Jarl Kjaran Coldheart

Jarl Kjaran Coldheart

++ PRÆCEPTOR BARBATUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,984 posts

I use two, one with: Combi flamer (rocks) powerfist, runic charm, wolf pelt. (goes int a gh with flamer)

Fair play if you find that they really work for you, but to use Byrne's to examples here, that's 58pts and 73pts respectively.

A WGBL, even just with a Frost blade and bolt pistol, will have more attacks, more wounds, a higher initiative and cost 8pts more than the latter example.

For me, it's just too many points, espectially in a squad of BC where the cost is usually too high already.

NR :D

that is true, but the way i justify the points i spend on a WGPL is:
1. the higher led they provide meakes me passing a counter assault test more likely
2. unless the enemy does more wounds than i have models, i dont touch the WGPL till i run out of marines. so my 10 strong packs, the WGPL has nine extra wounds.
3. an IC is targetable in CC
my logic. number 2 is harder now with the new rules on wound allocation, but he usually takes the smallest amount of wounds possible.

oh, mine usually has power fist and bolter. not much, but i am thinking of a WTN.

wolf lord kieran

Space Wolves are badasses that operate just barely within the rules. 13th Co. didn't even know there were rules applying to how badass they could be. DepthCharge on the Space Wolves

I'm so pleased that GW have gone to such great lengths to produce these awesome Space Wolves basing kits. Wraithwing on the Thousand Sons Rubic Marine release

"The Fell Hand is a name that has been passed on through out the Legion. When one warrior bearing it died, the name is left to be earned by another. Thus it was passed from Floki to Volund to Erik to Geigor. And then the tradition died, because censored.gif Bjorn got the name and proceeded to live for 10 censored.gifmillenia." - Sagas of the Wolf Priests. Wispy

KeithGatchalian

KeithGatchalian

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 264 posts

I'm sorry C. Talon but you're wrong, we use the wargear and weaponry as used by the C:SM, unless otherwise stated a different wargear option in C:SW (aka Wolf Pelt, Wolf Tooth Necklace, etc.). Nice try though, we're fortunate enough to have Heavy 4 rending AC's just like normal marines and when SS's get updated we'll benefit from the same upgrade. ;)

Offically you use wargear as its rules are stated in your particular codex, unless an FAQ says otherwise, or if your book says to refer to another book for that wargear.

So unless there is an FAQ that says to refer to another book, you use your wargear as is, unless changed in the main rulebook.

For example, Daemonhunters Assault Cannons are listed as Heavy 3. No Rending.

For Wolves, it says refer to CSM for dreadnoughts and landspeeders, but not for terminators. So Terminator Assault cannons still use the profiles listd in the SW Codex.

That is by the book. I personally let people use the most updated rules and wargear. The point of the game is to have fun, but you never know when you will play against "That Guy".

Ragnars Claw

Ragnars Claw

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 954 posts
Gotta say i must have played well over 200 games where this could have cropped up and never once played 'that guy'.

As for pack leaders, i'm set on power fist and combi weapon at the moment. My issue is more what should the normal marines get, power weapons or power fists... ;)

Jarl Kjaran Coldheart

Jarl Kjaran Coldheart

++ PRÆCEPTOR BARBATUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,984 posts
i stopped playing during 4th edition due to excessive rules lawyering.

you dont find this kind of nonsense in WFB...or i havent atleast.

wolf lord kieran

Space Wolves are badasses that operate just barely within the rules. 13th Co. didn't even know there were rules applying to how badass they could be. DepthCharge on the Space Wolves

I'm so pleased that GW have gone to such great lengths to produce these awesome Space Wolves basing kits. Wraithwing on the Thousand Sons Rubic Marine release

"The Fell Hand is a name that has been passed on through out the Legion. When one warrior bearing it died, the name is left to be earned by another. Thus it was passed from Floki to Volund to Erik to Geigor. And then the tradition died, because censored.gif Bjorn got the name and proceeded to live for 10 censored.gifmillenia." - Sagas of the Wolf Priests. Wispy

Byrne

Byrne

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 342 posts

one with: Lightningclaws, wtn, runic charm, meltabomb, wolfpelt. ...got me a win in my last tourny. :P

NR ;)

that is true, but the way i justify the points i spend on a WGPL is:

1. the higher led they provide meakes me passing a counter assault test more likely
2. unless the enemy does more wounds than i have models, i dont touch the WGPL till i run out of marines. so my 10 strong packs, the WGPL has nine extra wounds.
3. an IC is targetable in CC
my logic. number 2 is harder now with the new rules on wound allocation, but he usually takes the smallest amount of wounds possible.

oh, mine usually has power fist and bolter. not much, but i am thinking of a WTN.

wolf lord kieran

Well, I should point out that I use droppods, so having a wgl with kombiflamer has proved more, or better than a kombi plasma.

with my other guy, the one with lightningclaws, he is so good, as we dont use VP in the scenarios anyore, he will make the unit super hard, he can take on pretty much anything. He can even survive a failed save, and still kill berzerkers... :FA: Yes he is worth it, I sometime send him withmy 15 footslogging BC, the extra leadership is good when you need to test for pinning etc.
Trough the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes.

Nightrunner

Nightrunner

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 820 posts
Whilst I can see what mean about his survivability, I just think that for sheer points vs value, it isn't worth it. If you really want someone to watch a 15-strong BC pack, it should be a Wolf priest, who for 95pts gets a hell of a lot and gives you Ld 10, again with the better stats, more wounds.....

As for being targetable, fair enough, but that also means you can send the IC running off to assault another unit.

In the past three games, I have run a WGBL with AC and FB, TA and a WP in my LRC with 10 BC.

Consistently, I have deployed them as a unit, but then taken advantage of the IC to assault another unit, different to the BC, and it works very well at taking out a chunk of the enemy battle line.

I guess it all comes down to the fact that, if I had to, I wouldn't take two HQ choices; at 1500pts (I'm in the UK, pretty standard here!) the cheapest HQ options are still only 10 points or so more than the WGPL's you have mentioned.

My army is already stretched thin as it is, trying to get enough scoring units, anti-tank and anti-infantry in it without buying what is nearly ANOTHER HQ choice.

If it works for you, then as I said, fair play; but unless he is going in a squad of scouts (the ONLY time I ever take one, and mostly I don't) my pack leaders are staying at home.

NR :huh:
QUOTE (Wolfside)
My friend's dog ate his iron priest. No armour save there.

Ragnars Claw

Ragnars Claw

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 954 posts
wolf lord kieran, fair enough. Interestingly, or perhaps not! ive found that its the other way round. There seem to be a lot more 'personalities' shall we say, playing wfb whereas 99% of my 40k games are relaxed and very enjoyable.

Marek Grimfang

Marek Grimfang

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,239 posts

wolf lord kieran

GH packs have a WGL with a Bolter and Power Fist, or Bolt Pistol and Power Weapon. Not much more because of points.

The GH's in these packs right now are aremd with standard Bolters. I don't upgrade (yet) to extra PF's pr PW's. These are the Run/Hold, ranged attacks, minor engagments guys.

BC's on the other hand, they have extra PW's. PF's are too expensive IMO for regualar marines. So the WGL attached usually has a PF or LC's, nothing more.
B+C member since 2000.
Lord's Realm - R.I.P.
-Blood and Honour-

Marek Grimfang

Marek Grimfang

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,239 posts
So as far as WGPL's go, don't break the bank. The extra attack is nice from their stat line, but they still only have one wound. They are good for the Leadership value. A nice template hit on the squad in Apoc or something is a real points eater.

Edited by Marek Grimfang, 30 July 2008 - 08:49 PM.

B+C member since 2000.
Lord's Realm - R.I.P.
-Blood and Honour-

Jarl Kjaran Coldheart

Jarl Kjaran Coldheart

++ PRÆCEPTOR BARBATUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,984 posts

wolf lord kieran, fair enough. Interestingly, or perhaps not! ive found that its the other way round. There seem to be a lot more 'personalities' shall we say, playing wfb whereas 99% of my 40k games are relaxed and very enjoyable.

i am not saying by no means that WFB has no personalities, but the design team who worked on the 7th ed of WFB just fine tunred the rules instead of complete overhaul (which i see 5th as personally. never played 2nd edition) preventing 10 yr codex and crap ass faqs.

I am more selective of who i play WFB with though, so that process weeds out many of the "personalities". no way i can manage a 2 hour (sometimes more) game with a person who thinks every comma in the rulebook should be counted, quoted and applied by loud speech.

@ marek
i might be an idiot, but i dont field blood claws. i know, i am told that leaving the Fang without a few packs of them is a mistake, but i just dont like them. I stick to grey hunters, and alot of them. so my grey hunters need to outfight the hordes, outshoot the shooties (impossible most of the time, but most shooty armies are weak T or AS...excellent for my Leman Russ and Scouts of Doom combo), and the equipment to do both. they usually do. sometimes they dont. thats the way the dice roll.

wolf lord kieran

foolishzero

foolishzero

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 35 posts

I'm sorry C. Talon but you're wrong, we use the wargear and weaponry as used by the C:SM, unless otherwise stated a different wargear option in C:SW (aka Wolf Pelt, Wolf Tooth Necklace, etc.). Nice try though, we're fortunate enough to have Heavy 4 rending AC's just like normal marines and when SS's get updated we'll benefit from the same upgrade. :D

Offically you use wargear as its rules are stated in your particular codex, unless an FAQ says otherwise, or if your book says to refer to another book for that wargear.

So unless there is an FAQ that says to refer to another book, you use your wargear as is, unless changed in the main rulebook.

For example, Daemonhunters Assault Cannons are listed as Heavy 3. No Rending.

For Wolves, it says refer to CSM for dreadnoughts and landspeeders, but not for terminators. So Terminator Assault cannons still use the profiles listd in the SW Codex.

That is by the book. I personally let people use the most updated rules and wargear. The point of the game is to have fun, but you never know when you will play against "That Guy".

It says in our book to refer to the Wargear section in Codex: Space Marines
It is the way of Fenris. We stay as long as we can. Fight as hard as we can. Kill as much as we can. Only when we can do no more do we move on.

Wolf89

Wolf89

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,739 posts
As Foolish has stated our codex (Space Wolves) tells us to use the Space Marine dex for wargear and anything else in our codex unless noted otherwise in the Space Wolves codex.

This can be found on page 2 of C: Space Wolves, also it clearly states on our Wargear section that items in Italics (everything but frost axe, runic weaponry, and a few other only space wolf gear) should be looked at in the C: SM for full description.

So how can you say we won't get 3+'s from our Storm Shields when our codex clearly states Storm shield. :)
-Before you post a question you have about space wolves check here first then check here second-

Marek Grimfang

Marek Grimfang

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,239 posts

@ marek
i might be an idiot, but i dont field blood claws. i know, i am told that leaving the Fang without a few packs of them is a mistake, but i just dont like them. I stick to grey hunters, and alot of them. so my grey hunters need to outfight the hordes, outshoot the shooties (impossible most of the time, but most shooty armies are weak T or AS...excellent for my Leman Russ and Scouts of Doom combo), and the equipment to do both. they usually do. sometimes they dont. thats the way the dice roll.

wolf lord kieran

OMG we were separted at birth! I have always seen BC's as substandard marines because of lower stats and I use them somewhat as fodder. They do have their place so I don't spend a lot on them. They are good for tieing up things, but like you I prefer GH's, and am strongly deciding to drop BC's altogether and max out at six GH packs for my company.

However, BC's are a cheap and effective body guard.
B+C member since 2000.
Lord's Realm - R.I.P.
-Blood and Honour-

Jarl Kjaran Coldheart

Jarl Kjaran Coldheart

++ PRÆCEPTOR BARBATUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,984 posts
Brother Grimfang!

they are good for clearing objectives and killing crap, but they suck hard at holding objectives. looking at the fact the 5th ed games needs you to be with 3 in of an objective to claim it, i dont want some kill-happy over-excited pup to go trouncing after the first moron to come with 6inches of him. i want my boys to hold the objective, fire BOLTERS for at anything that comes within range, and counter attack the survivors.

my HQs in 1500 points are a Ven Dread, who cant lead BCs, and a Wolf Guard Battle Leader who accompanies a GH pack in a Rhino. SW cost too many points to waste on a unit that wont do what i need it to do.

wolf lord kieran coldheart

Marek Grimfang

Marek Grimfang

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,239 posts
I hear ya. I just feel obligated to take them sometimes.

I think there was a rumour that BC's are going to have a +1 increase in either WS or BS. Doesn't help too much.
B+C member since 2000.
Lord's Realm - R.I.P.
-Blood and Honour-