Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Picking Wolflord

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

VonMerrick

VonMerrick

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 362 posts
My old 3rd edition army was Ragnar’s Great Company, but I found he was too expensive to use and ended up playing mostly with my HQ being my TDA WGBL and Wolfguard.

I ask this because I am revamping my wolves from scratch and starting over. I was wondering how many people play Ragnar’s Company as he is the GW standard, If so is it either because of his rules or the fluff?

I am really toying with the idea of doing Erik Morkai’s company just because I want a chance to do something more original.

Has anyone ever designed a Erik Morkai model? I was thinking of trying to cut the head off a rune priest model to put on my TDA wolf lord seeing as he is a twin of a rune priest.

Also does anyone use the PA rune priest model for a lord? I was thinking of using the model for the Frost Axe, a combi melta, the belt of russ, and other assorted gear. Since it’s the runic shoulder pad which bothers me on the lord, is there an effective way to cover that up? My greenstuff still are sorely lacking 

Thanks in advance

Dark Bjoern

Dark Bjoern

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,586 posts
I have chosen Krom Dragongaze Great Company. I like Ragnar but i wanted to make my own WL. I´ve used TDA legs and LCs and Archaon´s Torso.

Posted Image
Posted Image

2016-06-19_08.56.28_zps3jxgevkj.jpg2016-06-19_08.55.04_zpsl7ia3v3f.jpg

Jonny Wolf

Jonny Wolf

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,238 posts
DB,
when you make a custom lord - do you use the normal Wolf Lord Stat line or do you take on a special characters rules (and cost)? Like Shrike, for example.

JW
For the Wolftime, praise Russ!

In Russ we trust, all others kiss my axe.

Vash113

Vash113

++ SCRIPTOR CLASSIARIUM ++

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,660 posts
I always just use the standard rules. My Wolf Lord is Silvar Stormblade:

Posted Image

Just uses the normal Wolf Lord rules and is armed with Runic Armor, the Belt of Russ, a Frost Blade, Bolt Pistol and other assorted wolfy wargear items. He also usually has 4 Fenresian Wolves with him.

"Are we going to scrap about it now. Argue which Legion is the toughest?"
"The answer always is, the Wolves of Fenris," Torgadon put in. "Because they're clinically insane."
-1st Captain Sigismund of the Imperial Fists and Captain of the Luna Wolves 2nd Company.

Comprehensive History Archive

Dark Bjoern

Dark Bjoern

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,586 posts
I´m using the standard rules. Anything else could end up in endless discussions.

2016-06-19_08.56.28_zps3jxgevkj.jpg2016-06-19_08.55.04_zpsl7ia3v3f.jpg

OnlyInDeath

OnlyInDeath

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,088 posts

I´m using the standard rules. Anything else could end up in endless discussions.

Agreed. And it's not like a wolf lord is a slouch on the stat line either. Ragnar is fun to field from time to time, but as an overall commander, i prefer to just make a custom wolf lord. My personal lord is rather simple: term armor, storm bolter, MC frost blade, WP, WTN.

I've actually never heard of Erik Morkai...perhaps a rune priest could come fill me in on this...
Click Here if you are in need of some reading material
QUOTE (Vassakov @ Feb 23 2009, 05:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
At the end of the day, we know who our true brothers are. We watch the halls of Russ, and remember our days of glory whilst persuing ever greater ones.
We are the Sons of Russ, for the All-Father and the Wolf King. From now, until the End Days and the Wolftime. We play by our rules, and noone elses.

Vash113

Vash113

++ SCRIPTOR CLASSIARIUM ++

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,660 posts
Erik Morkai is a Wolf Lord listed at the back of the codex where it shows the Warlords of the Fang. He's in the lower right hand corner, his company is depicted by the symbol of Morkai, the double headed wolf that guards the Gates of Death. The Codex also says that Erik's twin brother Imist the Wise serves Erik's Great Company as a Rune Priest.

"Are we going to scrap about it now. Argue which Legion is the toughest?"
"The answer always is, the Wolves of Fenris," Torgadon put in. "Because they're clinically insane."
-1st Captain Sigismund of the Imperial Fists and Captain of the Luna Wolves 2nd Company.

Comprehensive History Archive

OnlyInDeath

OnlyInDeath

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,088 posts

Erik Morkai is a Wolf Lord listed at the back of the codex where it shows the Warlords of the Fang. He's in the lower right hand corner, his company is depicted by the symbol of Morkai, the double headed wolf that guards the Gates of Death. The Codex also says that Erik's twin brother Imist the Wise serves Erik's Great Company as a Rune Priest.

Ahh. I was wondering if i forgot something in the book series and it was time to go and read them again...
Click Here if you are in need of some reading material
QUOTE (Vassakov @ Feb 23 2009, 05:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
At the end of the day, we know who our true brothers are. We watch the halls of Russ, and remember our days of glory whilst persuing ever greater ones.
We are the Sons of Russ, for the All-Father and the Wolf King. From now, until the End Days and the Wolftime. We play by our rules, and noone elses.

Cyclops

Cyclops

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,380 posts

Also does anyone use the PA rune priest model for a lord?

In fact, I do. It represents Fengar Bloodmoon with his Frost Axe and Plasma Pistol, Belt of Russ and bad-ass attitude...
Shaved some of the excess runes off the metal (so its no longer a Runic Weapon, but left the smaller ones on the Shoulderpads to represent a Runic Charm). Overall, low level of modification. But it fits.

A while back I used to use a custom-built wolf-lord but the model ended up being bulky, and also I didnt like it, despite 2 revisions.
QUOTE (The_Betrayed_Spacewolf @ Feb 17 2010, 05:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
codex asartes expressly forbids common sense.

QUOTE (Paradox 01)
I hereby name Cyclops the King of Irony.

I just get up, and wander off for a year or a thousand. Who do I think I am? Leman Russ?

Hfran Morkai

Hfran Morkai

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,503 posts
I use Ragnar because I like the Fluff that surrounds him. I even have him and the Wolfblade as a kill-team. I think the rules are alright but I really like the fact hde was never a Grey Hunter andhe used the Spear of Russ. I really hope they bring out a new Ragnar model though as it is a bit old schoo and the pose is awful. Eventually I want to create the entire Space Wolf chapter so there will be plenty of custom lords in that.
QUOTE (A D-B @ Jan 10 2011, 12:45 PM)
THE CUSTODIANS AREN'T PSYCHIC OH MY GOD I HATE YOU MIKAL.

gallery_24878_5332_45982.jpg

Valerian

Valerian

++ EQUITES ALATUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 8,924 posts

My old 3rd edition army was Ragnar’s Great Company, but I found he was too expensive to use and ended up playing mostly with my HQ being my TDA WGBL and Wolfguard.

I ask this because I am revamping my wolves from scratch and starting over. I was wondering how many people play Ragnar’s Company as he is the GW standard, If so is it either because of his rules or the fluff?

VonMerrick,

I started collecting Space Wolves and building Ragnar Blackmane's Great Company back when the Space Wolves codex was released as the first army back in 2nd edition. I have kept true to Ragnar as the Wolf Lord ever since, and with no regrets. Not only do I do it for the fluff, his considerable combat power more than makes up for his cost. Not only does he have considerable personal combat prowess, but his ability to grant Berserk Charge to any unit he joins is significant, and I think often overlooked. Consider the implications of getting a charge in with either a Ragnar-led full Grey Hunter pack, or WGBG in TDA.

Your thread is timely, as I recently added some pictures of my Wolves to the pictures thread at this link:

Space Wolves Army Pictures. My guys are at the bottom.

Valerian

Edited by Valerian, 01 August 2008 - 04:11 AM.

Brother SRM

Brother SRM

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,463 posts
You can have more of your own personality in a force if you use your own Wolf Lords and the like, rather than using Ragnar, Ulrik and so on.
I love the Space Wolf special characters, but I prefer to use my own; makes things a little more personal.
Space Wolves: Wins 9 | Losses 11 | Draws 5
Crimson Fists: Wins 14 l Losses 10 l Draws 5
Dark Angels: Wins 37 | Losses 16 | Draws 11
Orks: Wins 9 l Losses 2 l Draws 2

Catachans: Under construction!

SPEHSS MAHREENS, WE FIGHT FER DA EMPRA! - My flash cartoon, Warhammer40k: Dawn of Awesome
My 40k flash cartoon - SRM 40k
My other cartoons

Valhalla

Valhalla

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 170 posts
I prefer to use my own Wolf Lord mainly cause mine is more cost effective than most and with the changes to Storm Shields he's only going to get better. Here's his wargear:

Frost Blade
Storm Shield
Wolf Pelt
2 Fenrisian Wolves (gotta love the 5th ed retinue rules)

I've used Ragnar before and he's very powerful leading a Wolf Guard Terminator squad, however for games under 2000 points I don't think he's cost effective.

Edited by Valhalla, 01 August 2008 - 06:48 PM.