Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Wolf Guard confusion

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

Gentlemanloser

Gentlemanloser

+FRATER DOMUS+

• +EXCOMMUNICATUS+
  • 14,653 posts
New to Space Wolves, and I'm a little confused by all the Wolf Gaurd! :D

The Types of Wolf Guard are;

Wolf Guard Battle Leaders (HQ Choice)
Wolf Guard Leaders
Wolf Guard Bodyguard
Wolf Guard Pack Leaders (13th company)

If you take a WGBL with a 9 x WG Bodyguard, that counts as both an HQ Choice, and an Elite choice (although you could then take an additional 11 Wolf Guard without using another slot).

The most recent FAQ allows the WGBL the ability to take Wolf Guard Heavy Weapons. Aren't the Heavy Weapons a Wolf Guard 'Bodyguard' option only? Can Wolf Guard Leaders take the Heavy Weapon option as well, or are they limited to purchasing from the Armoury?

When a Wolf Guard Leader is attached to a Squad at the start of a game, in 5th, are they classed as part of that squad for scoring purposes (If attached to a Troop choice)? Even though they technically came from an Elite slot, they can't be removed from the Squad (and don't class as an IC?). Would a WGL attached to a Grey Hunter Pack still be a scoring unit if all 10 Grey Hunters were killed leaving only the WGL alive?

For Wolf Guard Pack Leaders in the 13th Company, they are just upgrade units for the Squad (so no scoring issues). What wargear/options can a WGPL take? Can they (like WGBL) choose Wolf Guard Heavy Weapons?

I think that's everything! :( Sorry if all this has been covered before!

Thanks!
QUOTE (Seahawk @ Jul 30 2011, 05:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We all feel different ways about different rules, but if you're traveling between different gaming groups or to tournaments, the only commonality is the rules as they are written. If you can get your opponent to agree with you on house-ruling something then that changes things, but until then all we can do is go by how things are written.

Hfran Morkai

Hfran Morkai

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,503 posts
Welcome to the Fang brother. Take a stein of ale and listen well to our stories. I believ that the reason a wolf guard battle leader can take a heavy weapon is because the codex says that a wolf guard battle leader (WGBL) can use any equipment from wolf guard entries or the armory. That will probably change soon though.

As for a wolf guard leader acting as scoring, I believe that if under half strength the unit no longer counts as scoring. But I have not got the new rulebook so I do not know.

I do not know about 13th company but there are plenty who do and your thread will undoubtedly draw their attention.
QUOTE (A D-B @ Jan 10 2011, 12:45 PM)
THE CUSTODIANS AREN'T PSYCHIC OH MY GOD I HATE YOU MIKAL.

gallery_24878_5332_45982.jpg

deedark

deedark

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 408 posts
From memory of 5th rules so may be not quite right

WGBL attached to a pack (GH/BCs, Bikers etc.) They can leave this pack by moving over 2 in from them
but he still acts a IC for assault purposes ie first in to assault and such must fight

- if the pack is killed them he reverts to an IC anyway

With a WG bodyguard/retinue he is part of the unit and cant leave and only becomes a IC once they are all dead

I think either way a lone IC cant score of hold objectives

I think yes to heavy weapons

D.
Death smiles on those who do not know or understand the ways of the wolf

jester262

jester262

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 611 posts

Welcome to the Fang brother. Take a stein of ale and listen well to our stories. I believ that the reason a wolf guard battle leader can take a heavy weapon is because the codex says that a wolf guard battle leader (WGBL) can use any equipment from wolf guard entries or the armory. That will probably change soon though.

As for a wolf guard leader acting as scoring, I believe that if under half strength the unit no longer counts as scoring. But I have not got the new rulebook so I do not know.

I do not know about 13th company but there are plenty who do and your thread will undoubtedly draw their attention.

there is no below half. If one guy remains he scores. And IIRC the wolf guard pack leader upgrade makes him part of the squad so I would say yes he scores. But if anyone has any proof otherwise I'd be happy to hear it.
"Rivers of gold are grand, but golden streams....not so much."

deedark

deedark

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 408 posts
Scoring: Yes I agree if any of the pack or retinue are alive he scores with them

Gentlemanloser

Gentlemanloser

+FRATER DOMUS+

• +EXCOMMUNICATUS+
  • 14,653 posts
Thanks for the replies!

:D

The WGBL couldn't ever score an objective (being a HQ, but he could contest). And reverts back to an IC if his Bodyguard is all killed.

But how about the WGL? Sort of an Elite choice, but is part of a Troop choice (If attached to a Troop squad of course), isn't an IC and can't leave the Squad. If the rest of the Squad around him is killed, does he still count as part of that Troop choice, or does he revert back to his Elite slot?

:/
We all feel different ways about different rules, but if you're traveling between different gaming groups or to tournaments, the only commonality is the rules as they are written. If you can get your opponent to agree with you on house-ruling something then that changes things, but until then all we can do is go by how things are written.

deedark

deedark

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 408 posts
WGuard assigned as Pack leaders count as troops even if they are the only survivor of that unit - yes WGuards take up an elite slot
but I wouldnt count them as an elite choices they are a pack upgrade in this situation.

D.

Gentlemanloser

Gentlemanloser

+FRATER DOMUS+

• +EXCOMMUNICATUS+
  • 14,653 posts
:D

Brilliant! ;)

But can WGL (and in 13th Company WGPL) take Heavy Weapons? Or is that a WGB only option?

I assume the WGPL (from 13th) can't as they can only take from the SW armory, and not the WG entry. :/

deedark

deedark

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 408 posts
Pack leaders cant take heavy weapons they do have access to combi weapons though

Only Wguard used as bodyguards/retinue can take Heavy's

D.

Edited by deedark, 31 July 2008 - 11:31 AM.

Gentlemanloser

Gentlemanloser

+FRATER DOMUS+

• +EXCOMMUNICATUS+
  • 14,653 posts
That's what I thought! Thanks a lot! :o

Wolf89

Wolf89

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,739 posts

Pack leaders cant take heavy weapons they do have access to combi weapons though

Only Wguard used as bodyguards/retinue can take Heavy's

D.

Yes D is correct, the WGPL's from 13th company entry states "The leader may choose additional equipment from the Space Wolves armoury." there is no mention of wolf guard entry so there shouldn't be a thought to it. :(

Also under "Wargear" on page 34 it clearly says, "Models referred to as 'Wolf Guard pack leaders' in this list may be equipped as per 'Wolf Guard leaders' in the Space Wolves armoury." This shows that they use the Wolf Guard costs as well for their wargear but do not use the Wolf Guard Bodyguard entry because the Wolf Guard Leaders don't use the Bodyguard entry. :unsure: hope this helps.
-Before you post a question you have about space wolves check here first then check here second-

Roguemarine

Roguemarine

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 213 posts
i may have missed this in the thread, but here's a question, do WGBL's use up the body guards heavy weapon selection number, by that i mean the body guard can have up to three if the criteria are met. does the leader have to follow this? otherwise you could end up with 6 assault cannons in one termie unit.

Wolf89

Wolf89

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,739 posts

i may have missed this in the thread, but here's a question, do WGBL's use up the body guards heavy weapon selection number, by that i mean the body guard can have up to three if the criteria are met. does the leader have to follow this? otherwise you could end up with 6 assault cannons in one termie unit.

First it doesn't take up the 1 in 3 model rule, and Second the max is 4 assault cannons in one termie unit (9 WGBG 3 with AC and WGBL leading using 1 AC) if you're discussing adding in more WGBL's to the squad then it's a whole nother story, you can effectively have as many as you want, say at 6750 points you'd have 9 WGBL's all 9 with AC's attached to one WGBG squad (only one WGBL would be protected in HtH of course the others would be IC's) and have a total of 12 AC's in one terminator squad.

So it's not a matter of can you, it's a matter of would you want to.

Oh and for those who question the reason why I say it doesn't count is reading the WGBG entry it clearly states Up to one in three models in the Wolf Guard bodyguard (rounding fractions up)... etc. :huh:
-Before you post a question you have about space wolves check here first then check here second-