Rhinos or Drop Pods

VonMerrick

With the new ramming rules i would go with landraider and rhinos. Its more wolfy to ram stuff when all else fails

when all else fails? i was simply bored with the rhino doing nothing...with all squads in CC or holding objective, the rhino was sitting there doing jack. i positioned the APC so i had a good 12inches to its rear armor, then sped forward the next turn howling with laughter.

wolf lord kieran

I think it has more to do with the character of the player then anything else.

I've been playing All-drop IG and Drop Pod Marines for a while now, and they have both won me several RTT's because I don't mind taking big risks for big gains.

I have noticed that some other players using drop pods are far less successful because they are too timid about it. Many players like to hedge their bets and take more calculated risks.

So, I would suggest going with your preferred playstyle. If you can take big risks for big gains, go pods. If you like to play it safe, go mechanized.

Which is more effective on the tabletop IMO? Pods, by a long shot, but only if you play them right.

Agree with the good Doctor T.,

Fortune favors the bold, who dares wins, etc. Drop Pods when used aggressively can seriously win the day - but you really have to man, excuse me, Wolf-up for it.

However, I've found the best success is a well balanced mix (DP, Trans, Foot, OBEL, Fast, Heavy) wins the day. It makes your opponent stay on his toes as he's getting hit from everywhere.

• 2 weeks later...

I just love the idea of dropping a 9 man GH or BC pack w/ WGL on an objective. I haven't tried yet. Only playing a 1250 pts list. Hard to get even 3 troops walking in the list at that point size.

On another note, If you had a pack of BC's w/ Rune P. in a rhino, you technically could move 27" to 32" across the field to engage in an assault in 2 turns. That is amazing and awesome.

First time I left my rulebook at home but I am assuming my memory is correct and you can "Run" in the shoot phase instead of shoot after you disembark.

Goes like this.

Turn 1 -Rhino moves 12" pops smoke. BC's Disembark within 2" of hatch. BC's "Run" instead of shoot 1" to 6". Total 1st Turn = 15" tp 20"

Turn 2- BC's move 6" (fire asslt weapons) and then "Assault" unit 6" = Total Turn 2= 12"

Total move Turn 1 and Turn 2= 27" to 32" That should just about reach anyone except for any unit like a Pred. tucked right at the edge of a board.

(4' width. Pred. is about 6" long, that would leave 42" to get to it (it's front hull) with a 4' width. So, you would need 3 Turns to get it. 2 possibly in the Rhino, 1 on foot. )

I just love the idea of dropping a 9 man GH or BC pack w/ WGL on an objective. I haven't tried yet. Only playing a 1250 pts list. Hard to get even 3 troops walking in the list at that point size.

On another note, If you had a pack of BC's w/ Rune P. in a rhino, you technically could move 27" to 32" across the field to engage in an assault in 2 turns. That is amazing and awesome.

First time I left my rulebook at home but I am assuming my memory is correct and you can "Run" in the shoot phase instead of shoot after you disembark.

Goes like this.

Turn 1 -Rhino moves 12" pops smoke. BC's Disembark within 2" of hatch. BC's "Run" instead of shoot 1" to 6". Total 1st Turn = 15" tp 20"

Turn 2- BC's move 6" (fire asslt weapons) and then "Assault" unit 6" = Total Turn 2= 12"

Total move Turn 1 and Turn 2= 27" to 32" That should just about reach anyone except for any unit like a Pred. tucked right at the edge of a board.

(4' width. Pred. is about 6" long, that would leave 42" to get to it (it's front hull) with a 4' width. So, you would need 3 Turns to get it. 2 possibly in the Rhino, 1 on foot. )

Almost right. I don't think you want to disembark and get shot on your turn 1, though. If you move 12" and pop smoke, I'd stay in the rhino. They're pretty well protected there and won't take significant damage during the enemy's shooting phase. They can still disembark at the start of your next movement phase (gaining 2" of movement), move 6", shoot and assault another 6". This is a total of only 26", but doesn't have the loss of troops you'd see if they piled out on their first turn.

You Forgot about deployment, that's an extra 12" you gain, so the distance is actually only 30", so your plan you listed above would see a possible 2 turns instead of 3 with the co-operation of your dice. ^_^

As stated though, I don't like this tactic, it's leaving your troops very vulnerable and if anything, asking your opponent to just shoot them up and leave your smoked rhinos alone until next turn where they'll be easy kill points. :devil:

I could see this tactic being used effectively against drop pod armies to try to cover more area while in reserve, but other than that, it's really a waste of points. :P

Good points. I like the protection of inside the Rhino. With the 12" deployment, that more then makes up for the "Run" distance IF you go first. Otherwise you may not get the full 12" since you will have to deploy behind cover if your going 2nd. Anyways, both good points and info. I think there something to work with here.

Cheers

i have to say i have gone both ways with this. i have used drop pods(10 in all) to drop 4x GH, 1x bc, 3x dreds( one was ven), 2x LF( it worked better then you would think), 1x WL and 1xWGBL. i have also used 5 rhinos, a razorback and a landraider to lauch my forse forward with longfang covering. bot worked equally well, each had a harder time vs. enamies prepared to unload tons of fire on infantray or vechicals (so many devorerers :( ) but theey were both fun. i run bith from time to time and its always fun to see the all infiltrating eldar player's face when they say "just deploy all infiltrate" and you say back "mine all drop pod in". i still laugh just thinking about it.

Archived