GT 2008 - Now C:SM V5

Nightrunner

The fast attack is what's confusing me, you're taking a tank hunting speeder, and giving it a heavy flamer? I'd keep him far back as you could, leave the HB on it. That way you have the long range to fire from and still a high enough strength to help against lightly armored craft.

(Don't forget DS'ing into the field you'll only be able to fire one of your weapons since defensive weapons are S4 now, so that mainly means your Typhoon ML will be shot, then it has lots of range for you to not have to move around too much.)

The whirlwind still has 2 shots, one at S5 AP4 and one at S4 AP5 (this one ignores cover and is what you'll be using for horde controlling of course :))

I like the fact you're using an Ironclad, it's perfect for a DP'ing list, but I think you made him too expensive, you gave a dread with S4, S5 weaponry (built for hordes) 2 infinite range krak missiles... just doesn't add up, unless you're facing a lot of tyranids? I'd take off those 2 HK missiles for now and leave them be. It's just a lot of points already and I don't think it's necessary. I'd also keep the hammer so he can smash through terrain and such when he needs to get moving, and plus it comes with a built in meltagun which helps against a lot.

Use the leftover points for PP's and such for your other GH squad and you should be good.

Oh, and I'm not really sold on the TL las on the ven dread, I think a plasma cannon would do the job better and help with the heavy flamer that you paid for. (I just hate wasted high S shots on one guy that'll likely save to the abundance of cover saves in 5th; having a template negates this problem and you still have tank popping capabilities).

-edit-

Takes me forever to type, to answer Vassakov's question whether we can use Ironclads, It's been made pretty clear in the FAQ that we can (dreads and variants) this is elaborated in the topic "New SW units from SM codex or whatever".

Flippin' heck, that was quick!

In answer to your questions..... versatility is the reasons behind the IC.

I could have it configured for tank-hunting, with the CC weapon and Seismic Hammer for extra fun (as suggested by Wolf89!), a meltagun and two HK's.

However, the current config just felt....right? If I get a bad drop, I can snipe away with the HK's in support of something else. I might just drop them, though; will have to try and get a game in and see if they are a waste.

Do you guys think having 2 CC weapons and two HF's would be better than the Hurricane, then, giving me a 200pts dread if I keep the IC grenades launcher (which counts as assault and defensive grenades and I like).

As for the Tornado - there is a method to my madness! ;) If it does deepstrike, I can fire two Frag missiles as the defensive weapon and the HF as my main, giving me a bit of versatility for both hordes and tanks. I also prefer two missile shots in place of one multi-melta; all of my melta weapons always seem to miss. Always.

As for the Dread's TLLC; I just figured that I needed some anti-tank, on the table from the start and as some support for the WW. Or do you guys think that I have enough anti-tank without it?

I would much prefer the dread in a pod with the good ol' AC+HF combo. I really wasn't so sure, as previously I had the TLLC/ML Vanilla dread.

Thanks again for replying so quick! Look forward to your further thoughts!

NR ;)

Well I see your reasoning, and as long as you think you'll need them I don't see a problem in having them as an extra pro-caution (sp?) if you have the points for it.

Another thing is in 5th ed SM codex half your drop pods come in first turn, so you'll have plenty of support right away for your WW and stuff, I'd also suggest getting a beacon for your ironclad so you have a GH squad right there for support.

The way that flamer templates work now, I think they'd be far better than the hurricane bolter (total up both flamers hits first then roll, so even against a small 5 man squad, if you can get all of them with one template, you have 10 heavy flamer wounds to roll :P )

Oh, and I see your reasoning about the speeder, I guess that's a nasty tactic, but you're still DS'ing really close to get to use that flamer...

Good point Wolf89, Pod lists are now a lot less random. In fact, combine the SW predeliction for close range carnage with a decent amount of Pod's on Turn 1 and you have a strong list.

If you like the old AC/HF Dread in a Pod, run with it! As for the AT capabilities, I would repeat my urge for more fists!!! Seriously, with striking on rear armour they are all the anti tank you'll need against non skimmers (and Raiders.) In fact, with most of your AT capablity tied up in close range weapons, you'll have to be lucky with your rolls particularly against Eldar and DE as if you mess up the Pod's you may not get a second chance with the close range stuff.

Still, you have a few weeks left to try this list and get a feel for it. Run with it for now and see what happens!

Archived